Safer Foundation Employee Reviews

• Supported Associate Vice President of Policy and Strategy
• Intense online research
• Heavy Data Entry
• Strong Excel
• Initiated communication with President’s, Vice President’s, CEO’s, Director of Human Resource of hospitals and healthcare clinics
Pros
Had the opportunity to help create partnerships for a special event.
Cons
There were none.
Bad Experience
Correctional Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2015
At this job, they only care about numbers and the money they make off of the inmates that are placed there. You are mandated to work overtime and still must come back six hours later for your regular shift. Upper management are children and love to try and disrespect everyone. Job was a joke. Inmates had better sense than management.
Pros
Money
Excellenct work place
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2015
I be comfortable and at peace, while at work. I learned that Safer Foundation is an very supportive organization. The manager are very caring and reasonable.The people I worked with were also supportive as well as my self and we all helped each other finish our duties.the hardest part of a job is not completing it.And the most enjoyable part of the job is to allow my work ethics to brighten ones day,them coming to an clean and fresh environment.
n/a
Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 21, 2015
The company was ok to intern with. The facility was small and the nature of the work was very easy to catch on to. I enjoyed he environment for the most part
very fun
Sector Manager (Current Employee) –  chicago, ilMay 31, 2015
Helping at risk individual people.
Job development
Great management
Great team
Searching jobs
People success
Seeing at risk individuals become sucessfull
Great opportunity for people with employment barriers
Maintenance & Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2014
Working with Pivotal was ok but not steady we cleaned on the streets around the downtown area of Chicago but I only worked on the weekends.
Pros
they provided coats, boots and coveralls
Cons
not enough hours to make a living
orderly operations very helpful staff
Packer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2014
moved to various positions and learned a variety of skills esp. the operation of labeling and machine operation. Management was sensible and understanding. For the most part staff members were very cooperative and worked as one with the exception of a few. There was nothing hard about the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was laughter and conversations during work and breaks. Music during work kept everyone mentally stimulated.
Pros
two 15 minute breaks and one hour lunch break
Cons
not enough days of work weekly
I was a intern
Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 17, 2014
I was a intern. I helped juveniles who are in the jail system get ready for the GED
Excellent Management and Casual Fridays
Practicum/Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 26, 2014
This was an unpaid Practicum/Internship position. What I liked about Safer would start with the staff. As a Clinical Mental Health Professional, I was well!!. Supervisors went far and beyond their roles when it came to teaching us the craft of working with clients with mental-health/substance abuse issues. There was no such thing as a typical day at this site. I worked with IDOC inmates...never a dull moment! I learned from the clients as much as they learned from me and other co-workers. The paperwork was one of the hardest, but most rewarding areas I had to learn. Counselors deal with a lot of necessary paperwork! Thanks to my mentors at Safer, I am well qualified to do Intakes/Treatment plans etc. One of the most important lessons I learned at Safer...it takes a team to work with clients. I continue to understand how counseling is an Art!!!
Pros
great training, casual fridays
Cons
have to use copier and fax machines on lower floors
A nice internship to improve my computer skills
Intern of Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2014
This intern was assigned by my school. Safer Foundation is a non-profit organization with many nice co-workers. My typical day at work was to collected and organized clients’ personal information, assisting in managerial analysis of customer profiles. Formatted data from the Illinois Department of Employment Security by using proprietary database that can track the progress of the clients and verified employment according to Federal Title XX requirements. The most enjoyable part of the job is to check different people's files. Besides, sat next to my supervisor and worked with her was also fun. She was very nice and taught me a lot. She helped me make my excel skill and database more professional.

Want to know more about Safer Foundation?

Ask a question
Not a great place
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 1, 2014
Not a great place to work because the pay is too low regardless of your education and morale is way down.
Good job but horrible compensation and staff
Instructional Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 19, 2014
I truly enjoyed my job as well as my clients but I could have been compensated better for all that was required. My co-workers and my supervisor were awesome but if you were not part of the "chosen few" the management was horrible. Uppity management that couldn't separate personal issues from job duties made for a very hostile work environment.
Pros
experience
Cons
personal issues conflicting with work
stress
Correctional Resource Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 10, 2014
This job demands that you work 16 hors a day and if you do not you may be suspended or even terminated. The pay is decent but the employees and supervisors are terrible. The inmates are better people than staff.
Helping juveniles is my passion
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2014
As an intern i enjoyed the one on one interaction working with juveniles, and being a mentor to them.
nice enjoyable work pkace with gret learnig ability
Correctional Residence Counselor 2 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 21, 2014
Nice place to have work for with a lot of different exsperices
Pros
free lunch and dinner
Prodcutive and constructive
Volunteer Jail Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2014
Helping members of society whom have a criminal history restore their lives back to normalcy
Pros
very helping
Cons
need more instructors whom are tolerant and knowledgable of people with checkered background past
Seeing the smiles on the resident face when they received their GED Certificates or Job Promotions.
Admini. Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 6, 2014
A typical day @ Safer is: Working with inmates on a daily basis; The company objective is to give Inmates a 2nd chance back into the work field. There are rules and guidelines that the inmates must be adhered by. My job basically is to make sure that the rules are instructed.

What I have learned: Is that inmates are human and they got caught doing a crime; Which they want attention and someone to discuss their personal life story with. They want someone to have patience with them.

Management: The Management tries to help please Staff and Inmates.

Co-workers: My co-worker are wonderful people to work with.

The hardest part of the Job: Is when you can't reach out to a Inmate.

The Most enjoyable part of the job: Is seeing a inmate get a job/education and being able to support himself and family.
Pros
providing events, movies, holidays feast.
Cons
healthcare
This job was a unpaid job.
Correctional Residence Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 21, 2013
This job was a good job but it was not paying u for what the job call for.
Safer Foundation is not what I would call work
Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2013
Working for the Safer Foundation/ Crossroads was a very rewarding experience, I was given an un-paid internship and I stayed over a year, I would look forwarded to reporting to duty every Monday, I took great pride in helping people turn their life around and helping people with just basic skills of every day life was such a warm feeling, something other people would take for granted. I would welcome the new residents and go over the rules of the organization, I would help the new residents get into school and help them find gainful employment. I was responsible for putting all of the new residents files together. Crossroads offered me a position as Case Manager, but I was unable to accept due to salary decrease from my present employer.
great experience, difficult staff
Basic Skills Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 26, 2013
The job I have is great, and so is my particular boss. But the atmosphere is rough, and not because of the clients.
Pros
independent work
Cons
no room to grow