Safer Foundation

Safer Foundation Employer Reviews

A nice internship to improve my computer skills
Intern of Data Analyst (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2014
This intern was assigned by my school. Safer Foundation is a non-profit organization with many nice co-workers. My typical day at work was to collected and organized clients’ personal information, assisting in managerial analysis of customer profiles. Formatted data from the Illinois Department of Employment Security by using proprietary database that – more... can track the progress of the clients and verified employment according to Federal Title XX requirements. The most enjoyable part of the job is to check different people's files. Besides, sat next to my supervisor and worked with her was also fun. She was very nice and taught me a lot. She helped me make my excel skill and database more professional. – less
Not a great place
Case Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 1, 2014
Not a great place to work because the pay is too low regardless of your education and morale is way down.
Good job but horrible compensation and staff
Instructional Facilitator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 19, 2014
Pros: experience
Cons: personal issues conflicting with work
I truly enjoyed my job as well as my clients but I could have been compensated better for all that was required. My co-workers and my supervisor were awesome but if you were not part of the "chosen few" the management was horrible. Uppity management that couldn't separate personal issues from job duties made for a very hostile work environment.
stress
Correctional Resource Counselor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 10, 2014
This job demands that you work 16 hors a day and if you do not you may be suspended or even terminated. The pay is decent but the employees and supervisors are terrible. The inmates are better people than staff.
Helping juveniles is my passion
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 18, 2014
As an intern i enjoyed the one on one interaction working with juveniles, and being a mentor to them.
nice enjoyable work pkace with gret learnig ability
Correctional Residence Counselor 2 (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 21, 2014
Pros: free lunch and dinner
Nice place to have work for with a lot of different exsperices
Prodcutive and constructive
Volunteer Jail Facilitator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: very helping
Cons: need more instructors whom are tolerant and knowledgable of people with checkered background past
Helping members of society whom have a criminal history restore their lives back to normalcy
Seeing the smiles on the resident face when they received their GED Certificates or Job Promotions.
Admini. Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: providing events, movies, holidays feast.
Cons: healthcare
A typical day @ Safer is: Working with inmates on a daily basis; The company objective is to give Inmates a 2nd chance back into the work field. There are rules and guidelines that the inmates must be adhered by. My job basically is to make sure that the rules are instructed.

What I have learned: Is that inmates are human and they got caught doing – more... a crime; Which they want attention and someone to discuss their personal life story with. They want someone to have patience with them.

Management: The Management tries to help please Staff and Inmates.

Co-workers: My co-worker are wonderful people to work with.

The hardest part of the Job: Is when you can't reach out to a Inmate.

The Most enjoyable part of the job: Is seeing a inmate get a job/education and being able to support himself and family. – less
This job was a unpaid job.
Correctional Residence Counselor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 21, 2013
This job was a good job but it was not paying u for what the job call for.
Safer Foundation is not what I would call work
Internship (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2013
Working for the Safer Foundation/ Crossroads was a very rewarding experience, I was given an un-paid internship and I stayed over a year, I would look forwarded to reporting to duty every Monday, I took great pride in helping people turn their life around and helping people with just basic skills of every day life was such a warm feeling, something – more... other people would take for granted. I would welcome the new residents and go over the rules of the organization, I would help the new residents get into school and help them find gainful employment. I was responsible for putting all of the new residents files together. Crossroads offered me a position as Case Manager, but I was unable to accept due to salary decrease from my present employer. – less
great experience, difficult staff
Basic Skills Facilitator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: independent work
Cons: no room to grow
The job I have is great, and so is my particular boss. But the atmosphere is rough, and not because of the clients.
Outdoor work enviorment
Department of environment (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: food access
Cons: neighborhoods
A typical day at work is fast paced, then laid back.
I learned that when you commit to a project its easier to complete.
Interesting place to work
Corr Residential Counselor II, North Lawndale ATC (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 29, 2013
Pros: learning to deal with a consistently changing enviorment
Cons: no health care
My work day consist of assigning post details and making sure the safety of the facility hasn't be compromised. By doing interior and exterior perimetor checks.
How to adjust daily to a number of changing situations.
correspond with upper managment daily to ensure the facility is secure and all daily details are forefilled.
My co-works and I ensure – more... we operate as a team on a daily basis.
The hardest part of the job is adjusting to over a hundred different personslities to ensure you treat everyone fair.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to see a resident complete the program and fell like they have accomplished a milestone in life. – less
Dedicated
Instructional Facilitator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 19, 2013
A typical day at work involved teaching my clients reading, writing, math skills and some other skills not written in the curriculum. I learned that caring and being knowledgeable of my job gave a me lot of motivation to keep doing my job no matter what.

Management was okay. As for my co-workers, I enjoyed working with them; for the most part, we were – more... like a big family.

The hardest part of my job was the work setting, which made me feel concerned about my safety. Yet thank God nothing harmful actually happened to me. The most enjoyable part of my job was my interaction with my clients. – less
Terrible place to work
CRC I (Former Employee), CRCIMarch 5, 2013
Pros: worked with a good supervisor and team
Cons: odd days off
Its pretty much who you know that will get you promoted. The administration is something else. Unless your liked or in a click you will just be a security guard for dirty inmates. In addition its all about whom you know.
Good program
Program Director (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2013
Helping ex-offenders back home.....community program as well as CCDOC.
It was nice to work here.
Correctional officer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2012
Pros: very family oriented. they really cared.
Cons: poor recent management of the site i was at.
Conduct count
Search presons, living quarters, facility
maintain a safe working and residential enviornment.Lots of paprwork.
Management over the past few years was poor. It was very "clickish" and made the stability of employment very weak. I do not kiss up or join "clicks" so it was not good for me. My co-workers and immediate supervisors were fabulous!
There – more... wasn't any hardest part of the job and I enjoyed everything I did there for my position. – less
lots of training
Corrections Residential Counselor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2012
Pros: lots of overtime avaliable
Cons: pay was minimal, overtime got a bit out of hand, but it was mandatory.
A typical day at work for security is counting residents, signing in/out to their destination, searching residents and/or rooms sometimes.
shift superviosr
Correctional Residential Counselor /Supervisor (Former Employee), chicago, illOctober 17, 2012
Pros: the staff was wonderful to work with.
Cons: the salary was not great.
supervised 10-12 security staff. responsible for the custody, care and control of the the pre release detaines that live in the facility.
initiated fugitive warrants, inmate disciplinary hearing officer.
participated in aca and osha audits.
A passionate place to work!
Employment Specialist / Sector Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2012
Pros: salary + bonuses, vacation & great benefits
Cons: sometimes management could be unrealistic about goals.
Great experiences, I had the chance to help the community. learned alot about sales & marketing as we as social work. Would love to have stayed!