Safeway
3,021 reviews

Safeway Employer Reviews

Busy /serious
Foreman-Scaffold (Former Employee), AlbuquerqueFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: traveling and good pay
Cons: working with lazy people and lots of paper work
Start the day off with safety meetings then agenda meetings. Then loading trucks with equipment for jobs. What I learned is anything commercial or Industrial construction is lots of paper work and meetings. with all jobs you have hard working co-workers and lazy ones. hardest part of job was getting job done in aloted hours we had to finish with out going over. making sure my crew was working and not just milking hours. Traveling was best part of job
Merchandisng was a very good job
Meat and Seafood Merchandiser District (Current Employee), Clackamas, ORFebruary 27, 2015
I enjoyed merchandising and training for several years I was backstage at the District Office for nearly 13 years total
fun fast paced place
Cashier/ Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Dublin, CAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: discounts
Cons: too many people durring holidays they over work you
clock in, and start bagging everything. help out customers to cars, clean bathroom and aisles, always greet everyone and ask if they need assistance.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Oakland, CAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: 1 hour lunches
Cons: sometime short staffed
A typical day at work would be helping a lot of customers, some rude some kind. What I have learned early is the faster you work the more you get done and also how to be patient with others. I've worked with 4 store managers, they were good at what they do and would work with you as long as you work with them. The co-workers were pretty good, i got along with everyone pretty well. The hardest part of working in Safeway would be sometimes you would have to work by yourself for a hour because most of the time they were short staffed. The most enjoyable was keeping a smile on customers faces
Productive place to work in
Division Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CAFebruary 26, 2015
Nice place to work in however the new re-organisation makes every body worry about his career in the company , but in general I enjoy working there
Hostile Environment
Order Picker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Auburn, WAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: lack of communication
1. A typical day at work felt like tired, stressed, dark, angry and cold.

2. What I learned at Safeway Frozen Food Dept.? Lack of communication between Management and employees. Very Hostile and segregated.

3. Management - #2

4. My co-workers were the heartbeat of that dept. They complained a lot but still bust their butts.

5. The hardest part of the job was coming to work and knowing that you did not want to be there due to the hostile environment.
Its a good place to work for people without an education.
Store Manager (Current Employee), CaliforniaFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: there are a lot of stores so you can move almost anywhere.
Cons: not much time off. bonuses are non existent
Management in Safeway taught me how to work with special needs employees as well as minimum wage workers. It is a competitive environment with a low profit margin so the salaried managers do most of the work. Upper management seems unprofessional and uneducated.
Reasonable place to start working
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee), El Centro, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Interesting place to work and have a chance to improve customer service skills as well as learn new ones. Not much motivation or compensation for advancing in the company but overall a decent place to work. Management is willing to work with one's individual needs.
Loved this job
Cashier/Deli clerk (Former Employee), Spokane, WAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: union dues
I loved my job at safeway but, with my husband being in the military i had to leave my job. only down fall was i hated the fact we had to pay union dues.
productive work place that need a little help
Ray (Manger) (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: safeway grocery store offers great benefits
Cons: does not have any security, i personally did not feel safe working third shift
My typical day at work was like an average work place, i leaned how to bag groceries in a more sanitary way. My manager was a very nice man and im glad i can say i met him along the way. My co-workers were not always the most plesant people but everybody has their problems. The hardest part of my job was working thirds and not having any security, we gotg robbed while i was on the job a man put a gun to my face, and still my mananger told me he will never hire security, after awhile it kept happening and i had to put in my 2 weeks notice. Overall because of the security reasoning and lack of communication i rate this job a 3 out of 10.
Its Different
Industrial Engineer (Former Employee), Pleasanton, CAFebruary 24, 2015
They are ok, i mean i would not plan on staying there very long. It is a great stepping stone to learn how the corp world works.
short work days
Customer Service/Driver (Former Employee), Daly City, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Cons: did not give much for work improvements
Never had my potential prowess at this workplace. Only gave me 3 days of part time work. My co workers were helpful at times but they held up to being individual players instead of a team.
I like the customers
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Lynnwood, WAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: seeing all the customers and talking to them
Cons: no cons what so ever
helping the customers with issues and helping them is what i like to do the most. making the customer happy. safeway is a good company, they just dont pay enough or give enough hours
Great work environment
Pricing Analyst (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CAFebruary 23, 2015
Safeway provides a great work environment which supports a healthy living style. There's classes that are offered to help us better work our skills.
I like the people I work with and meeting customers, and giving good customer service.
Bakery Manager (Current Employee), Yakima, WAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: full time job.
Cons: too much physical lifting up to 50 pounds.
I start a list of what we will need for that days production. I have learned that you need to learn your employees strengths and weaknesses, and use those aspects in the right way. I deal with store management through out the day,getting input on various aspects of the job. The hardest part of the job is maintain a balance with all the employees personalities,so everyone gets along. The most enjoyable part of the job is the learning new things and teaching them to others.
Wonderful work environment
Barista (Former Employee), Walnut Creek, CAFebruary 22, 2015
I would open the kiosk, I learned people skills and how to interact with others in an effective manner. The hardest part of the job would be waking up to be at work by 4:30 the easiest would be remembering how to make the drinks
Fast passed environment with special attention to customer service
Deli Associate (Former Employee), Prescott Valley, AZFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: interaction with customers
Cons: hours and pay
Was a very challenging job, that was fast paced and I enjoyed it, but the pay and hours were less then desirable. Same expectations daily on the processes need to run well, but also had something different everyday to handle as well.
Lively yet dull enviroment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Alameda, CAFebruary 22, 2015
Safeway is a good working area but a hard job, always lots of things to do with little time for breaks. I would have stayed there if I wasn't planning on moving up to Tahoe.
Productive and diverse workplace
Category Analyst II (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CAFebruary 21, 2015
Everyone is easy to work with and working hard will get noticed to get promoted. Hardest part of the job is departments having differnt goals.
Productive and busy work place
Greeter/Stockperson (Former Employee), Towson, MDFebruary 21, 2015
A typical day at work, a lot of stocking and greeting.
I learned how to Stock all inventory throughout the store.
Management and co-workers was all doing there job.
The hardest part was when i first started stocking, Trying find out were everything go. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting knew people and working.

1 2 3 4 5

About Safeway

Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's second largest supermarket chain after Kroger Co., with, as – Read more