Safeway
2,435 reviews

Safeway Employer Reviews

Fun place to work, great co-workers
Worker (Former Employee), CorporateAugust 27, 2014
Pros: 8 hours jobs, 1 or 1/2 hours lunch
Cons: no free lunch.
Management at corporate level is always on top of their roll making sure the workers level are being treated fairly and have proper tools to do their job.. Plant management is different, each plant has its own team, some are better than the others.
Terrible company and terrible union
Customer Service Associate and Floral Specialist (Former Employee), Long Reach, MDAugust 27, 2014
The entire front end of the store was fired due to a teenager faking coupons, and the store itself was being closed down. However, they did not warn any of the employees aside from management about the closure.
slaveway
PIC (person in charge) (Former Employee), Tucson, AZAugust 26, 2014
Pros: 10% discount on corporate brands for employees
Cons: poor career path, clickish
No matter what you do, its never enough for this co. Management is discriminatory against older individuals. No hours, benefits not great, poor pay on the new contract.
Grocery
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZAugust 25, 2014
Not enough hours and they didnt compensate much or let you move up as you should
Deli
Customer service (Former Employee), Duvall, WAAugust 25, 2014
I liked working there great place for advancement and the other employees are very nice
very fast paced and productive
Department Manager (Starbucks) (Former Employee), Kensington, MDAugust 25, 2014
a typical work day at value city was a learning experience everyday. i learned how to deal and settle customer disputes in some many different approaches and i always received a stellar review.
nice
Checker/Cashier (Former Employee), Sweet Home, ORAugust 25, 2014
It is a good place to work because the people I worked with were great. The customer were super good no great people to see all the time.
Productive and fun place to work
Accounting Clerk IV (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 25, 2014
Pros: co-workers, pot lucks and activities for employees
- Processed daily billings for vendor promotions
- Customer service
- Researched prior years billing
- Fun and enjoyable co-workers, was like a second family
- Enjoyed the company appreciation of employees and pot lucks
Food Safety and Sanitation
Manager, Consumer Protection (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CAAugust 25, 2014
A good Fortune 500 Company. It provides career opportunities in marketing.
uncertain
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee), arlingtonAugust 24, 2014
Pros: long tenure
Cons: uncertain enviroment
Management in uncertain enviroment since buyout. been here since i was 16 learned everything from them
It was an unprofessional work enviroment.
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Merced, CAAugust 24, 2014
a typical day at work was just running 4 different machines and doing other coworkers work. i learned how to run and operate 4 machines. management was unprofessional. my coworkers were people who were rude and unprofessional and were not good with teamwork. the hardest part of the job was the scheduling. it would change like everyday and we were treated – more... like slaves. i didnt enjoy it at all. – less
Friendly atmosphere and engaging workload
Promotion Specialist (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CAAugust 23, 2014
I love what I do. My team supports each other and we all encourage each other to do the best job possible.
Customer Service
Grocery Bagger (Former Employee), Colville, WAAugust 22, 2014
Pros: friendly associates
A great company to work for. I learned to always be friendly and get the job done!
A good work place for our environment
Cake Decorator (Former Employee), Hilo, HIAugust 22, 2014
Pros: lunch break was at least 15 minutes
Cons: no cons
I learned that supervisors can be very manageable. Most enjoyable part of working there was, is that we could go on breaks and talk stories with our co workers from the same department or from different departments. We could get along with each other. Manager is very kind. Hardest part of the job is of how they explained of how hard it is just to make – more... the product(s) in less within 5-10 minutes, but it took me couple days just to get things right. – less
Standard, dull workplace with out-dated policies.
Checker and Starbucks Clerk (Former Employee), Anthem, AZAugust 22, 2014
Pros: various benefits, weekly payment
Cons: you very much feel like a drone, scheduling is awful, benefits take a long time to kick in
As far as places to work are concerned, Safeway probably is about par for the course for your typical large chain grocery store. Many of it's policies might have been progressive fifty years ago, but it seems that little in the way of updating those policies has taken place since then. It is very much a place where one goes, does their work, and then – more... leaves, with very little in the way of workplace solidarity.

I would say that management at my particular store was poor. There were three managers, and as far as I could tell there was the Manager, Assistant Manager, and Assistant Assistant Manager. The only one who I would say visibly performed management duties well was the Assistant Assistant Manager. She was approachable and could be relied upon to deal with situations that arose. The other two felt very much like Pointy-Haired Bosses by comparison.

Most of the people you work with are fine and good, but the style of the workplace really discourages even the mildest of fraternization. As such it tends to reward people who are more self-serving. It would be a far stretch to call it a friendly work environment.

The benefits, if you manage to work there for the rather lengthy requisite time to reap them, are alright. Much of what you have to work with feels very outdated, and there is not a lot of room with which to facilitate growth or improvement. Scheduling problems abound, and the majority of workplace interactions involved fixing those.

In all it's a place to work, and really all it requires is a warm body. For the most part it is probably not that bad, and my experience has to do with a single store. – less
A Half of a half job.
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee), Waldorf, MDAugust 22, 2014
Pros: plenty of people.
Cons: plenty twilight zone customers
It's a busy environment working in a grocery store. You have to be mentally ready, calm and courteous at all times, because the customers are a little in the twilight zone.
Productive and fun work place
Pricing Analyst (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CAAugust 21, 2014
Safeway has a range of departments and allows its employees to learn the best tools of the trade and apply them in their jobs. Flexibility to learn and move between departments. Great work environment with lots of employee interaction. Easy to communicate with upper management and coworkers.
Fun Place to work
Booth Clerk (Former Employee), San Jose, CAAugust 21, 2014
Had awesome co-workers. Team work was key, and everyone lived by it. Managers were not afraid to get there hands dirty and help when they were needed.
Safeway is a good place to work they have great benefits. Everyone got along very excellent.
Starbucks Clerk (Former Employee), ‘Ewa Beach, HIAugust 21, 2014
Pros: safeway had good products by purchasing .
Cons: safeway had good benefits such as 41k, retirement plan.
I loved working for Safeway as a Starbucks clerk. I enjoyed serving my customers with a good smile and a positive attitude. I enjoyed working with all the employees i got along very excellent with all of them. I have learned a lot from making drinks doing the job right and keeping my customers satisfied. There was never a part of a hard work at Starbucks – more... just so much enjoyed what i did. The most enjoyable part of my job was keeping my customers from coming back because of a great service i did for them and also got along very well with my fellow employees. – less
Productive workplace
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee), Auburn, WAAugust 21, 2014
My review Is that they are fun productive and hard work places but overall , I need to step up on my future and make more money

1 2 3 4 5

About Safeway

Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's second largest supermarket chain after Kroger Co., with, as – Read more