Safeway

3.7K reviews

Safeway Employee Reviews

Hard labor for no promotion
Fuel Attendant (Former Employee), Campbell, CAAugust 30, 2015
I did not stay at Prologix long, for good reason. It was unorganized and poorly managed. Management was very rude and never acknoweledged good work.
Hard working here
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Hour lunch
Cons: Being taken for granted has you do everybody elses job no matter your title
They have you do other peoples job people bring all their drama to work they're disrespectful the company pretty much takes you for granted and doesn't care
Overall a fun enviornment
Meat/Seafood Clerk (Former Employee), Roseburg, ORAugust 30, 2015
If you get lucky enough to work with people who make you feel like you belong, it's a wonderful enviornment. Good managers make a difference.
You feel like just a number.
Food Clerk (Current Employee), Hayward, CAAugust 29, 2015
Management doesn't seem to care about you. You are just a number. They cut hours to all employees to bring in lesser paid people. after 11 years I am still part time and only receiving 24 hours a week. They don't care. Its impossible to get a set schedule.
Fast pace and friendly atmosphere
Person In Charge (Current Employee), Tucson, AZAugust 28, 2015
Great company that leaves plenty of room for advancement. Good benefits for an entry level job. This company started me down the path of management and Human Resources.
Productive with daily tasks that changed every day
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Zephyr Cove, NVAugust 28, 2015
Pros: Room for employees
With the 1 1/2 years that I worked there every day was a new experience. Often enjoyed time spending with other co-workers while doing daily tasks. Keeping a positive face towards customers was although rewarding, it was still difficult to manage. Was able to see friends at high school come in every now and then and made friends with fellow employees.
Well organized but Dangerous
Liquor Clerk (Former Employee), Fairbanks, AKAugust 28, 2015
Pros: Get to greet customers and make their night start out right.
Cons: Dealing with theft and dangerous situations without receiving breaks
The day mostly consisted of finding the right products for customers to help them relax and enjoy their night. However, some customers did not want to pay for their items and tried to steal, this happened at least once a week.
starbucks at safeway
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), Pacific Grove, CAAugust 27, 2015
it was very rough being alone in such a busy environment . it was a nice job just wish they would start there workers off at 10.25 an hour
Has good workers
Bookkeeper/Office Manager (Current Employee), San Leandro, CAAugust 27, 2015
This company is a good company but has lacked in worker appreciation. It still has work stability but it is less hours. It has a good employee discount program.
Great experience
Deli Clerk, Cashier, Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 27, 2015
There were so many great opportunities with this company. I love the atmosphere that was created everyday and the customers as well.
Safeway Associate
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee), Peoria, AZAugust 26, 2015
It is an alright place to work. Customers and coworkers were really nice, however the management was unprofessional and disorganized.
Great First job
Helper Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonds, WAAugust 26, 2015
It was one of the best way to picture a first job. I really enjoyed working there for 3 years. Met a lot of great people and learned many things about my co-workers and also customers if you like working a fast pace with a smile on your face you should work here.
Productive workplace where you could meet many people
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Breaks were at least every 2 hours, with lunches for 8+ hour shifts.
You could work at your own pace and enjoy the work you were doing all at the same time. My coworkers were friendly and tended to help me if I was confused or needed help with a certain situation.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAAugust 25, 2015
Work at Safeway was great. My coworkers were really friendly and easy to get along with. The company worked well with my school schedule and managing work and school was a piece of cake.
Productive Place To Work
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee), Issaquah, WAAugust 25, 2015
It was my job to set up the seafood case, give excellent customer service and package food and check for freshness. It was also my job to make sure everything was sanitized and cleaned. The hardest part was that i disliked seafood.
Great Company
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Stafford, TXAugust 24, 2015
Pros: curstomer service, learning expierence and team work
Cons: not enough hours
This was my first part time job. I enjoyed working at Randall's. However, as I graduated High school I needed more hours with more money. I continued to work for Randall's for 6 months after getting a second job and finally between school, and holding down to jobs I just got burnt out.
it was very intruiging
Staff Assistant/Stocker (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Promotions
Cons: Hours
I enjoyed working for Safeway because it was very easy moving up in the company with hard work, I've met a lot of people during my year of employment with Safeway.
Great job for those wanting to grow in a company
Food Clerk/ Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Great Job Security and advancement
Cons: no work life balance
My typical day would be greeting my employees, customers and vendors. I would then start on payroll and get my schedule organized for the day ahead. I enjoyed most was my employees and customers. It was fun to get to know my regular shoppers too.
Could be better
Food Clerk (Current Employee), Albany, CAAugust 23, 2015
I love working for Safeway but I do not like the management for the company. The managers do not work, every time I see them they are sitting around talking. As an employee who started as a courtesy clerk and moved up to checker, night crew, frozen, dairy and now produce I believe hard work pays off but when I see the people that are above me and in charge doing nothing it makes me ask myself why am I busting my butt for 9.85 an hour when they make way more than me just sit on theirs.
Developing the Next Generation
Cash Office Clerk (Customer Service ) (Current Employee), Houston and DallasAugust 22, 2015
I loved working with families. I have volunteered/worked in a church setting with students and families going on 8 years. A day of work usually consisted of administrative work planning events and lessons for the students. Sometimes this would be delayed for the sake of investing in a students personal life and taking them for some hang out time. I enjoyed seeing students growing and living out the things we would teach them as I worked with 1-2 parent volunteers who assisted in teaching students. The hardest part of my job was time management as i worked another job on top of this job and went to school.
Industry