Safeway
2,348 reviews

Safeway Employer Reviews

Productive Workplace
COURTESY CLERK (Former Employee), Las VegasJuly 28, 2014
Cons: low wages, no discounts, prices are too high
What I learned from working at Vons, is that it takes years and years to advance. The management overlooks the great qualities that one person has. The wage is too low and even employees that have been working in the company for over 25 years, recommend new employees to find better paying jobs.
Physical, multi-tasking, great management team. Getting paid to work out vs. paying a membership fee at a gym.
Cashier/Overnite stocker (Former Employee), Fairbanks, AKJuly 27, 2014
Pros: manangement fun, interactive.
Cons: good job for an 18 yr old. hahaha!
Overnight Freight: Bring pallets out from back. Move caselots to proper aisle. Open boxes, shelve product, straighten shelves. Backstock. Dispose of cardboard. Cashier as-needed, this Safeway was open 24/7.

I learned merchandising, backroom operations, how to multi-task. Management was fun, open, clear expectations, and interacted with hourly associates. – more... Co-workers were fun and helpful. The hardest part of the job was the heavy lifting and throwing - good work out, though. The most enjoyable part of the job was management and pay/benefits. – less
stressful
Cashier (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJuly 25, 2014
I cashiered, customer service. I learned how to use the register. I like d the employees and amangeemtn. I did not like getting called everyday tow ork. I liked the peple.
Fun and Enjoyable Co Workers
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee), Lake Oswego. ORJuly 24, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my work day is interacting with customers and management.
Productive and fun environment.
Sales (Current Employee), Kingman, AZJuly 24, 2014
Pros: amazing employees
Cons: not enough hours.
A typical day at work for me consists of a nine hour shift packaging, labeling and organizing everything that the baker bakes that day. I also serve customers and take orders. I learn something new everyday how to manage the high pace of my job and also how to work more efficiently. I like my Co-workers they are hard working and great people to get – more... along with. The hardest part of my job is working in the heat. The most enjoyable part of my job is the people I love meeting the new people and helping them in what ever way I can. – less
Easy going and a very hard worker. Fast learner and obtain many skills.
Chrysalis (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 24, 2014
Pros: full time and great experience.
Cons: short breaks.
For my present employer a typical day is giving the individuals their medication, cleaning, cash handling, driving the company vehicle for medical appointments that the individual have , and managing four adults with mental disabilities.
Safeway Courtesy Clerk
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Covington, WAJuly 23, 2014
This company was a good place for someone to start off in. The reason I left was because of a consistently conflicting schedule with my school.
OKAY
Deli / Bakery Clerk (Former Employee), GILROY CAJuly 23, 2014
Pros: room for advancemnet
Cons: wokred between four departments not higher pay
i HAD A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE WORKING THERE i WAS JSUT UNSTABLE AT THAT TIME . STAFF WAS EXCELLENT.
fast paced work environment
Checker (Current Employee), Blackhawk, CAJuly 22, 2014
Fast paced job that requires excellent customer service and communication skills.
Productive work place.
Meat Clerk/Etc (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 22, 2014
Pros: 1 hr long lunches and discounts
Cons: short breaks
A typical day was almost always hectic. You had to be quick, have patience, stay positive, be team goal oriented. I got along with everyone to keep a drama free working environment. Hardest part of my job was not being valued enough for as much effort as I put into the company, and having to deal with unpleasant customers with a smile. Most enjoyable – more... part of working for any of the companies or Job titles was, making someones day. I very much enjoyed being personable with customers and keeping my environment pleasant and positive. I learned you can't please everyone, but you can try your hardest to do what you can, that's all anyone can really ask for. – less
Was a good first job.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Colville, WAJuly 21, 2014
I worked at Safeway for two years and I was able to explore the different jobs offered by Safeway
Productive typical work day
Food Clerk (Current Employee), Walnut Creek, CAJuly 21, 2014
A typical day at work contains many different jobs. It may contain any of the following; day stocking, customer service, book keeping(opening and closing), checking, etc. I'm in the path of management, so learning as much as I can of how to run a store is a everyday task. I work extremely well with my co workers, and try to help out everybody as much – more... as possible. I always like to give a helping hand. The hardest part of my job is probably handling angry and upset customers, even though they leave happy. The most enjoyable part is, on the other hand, working with the public. I am very much a people person, and enjoy meeting and working with new people. – less
Safeway Starbucks Review
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee), Steamboat Springs, COJuly 21, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers
Cons: schedule
I enjoy this job.
My boss is nice and helpful.
My co-workers are a joy to be around.
I like having a flexible schedule but I wish I had a set schedule (I don't like that I always work at different times)
A great experience for young people.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Gallup, NMJuly 21, 2014
Bagged groceries, collected carts, basic cleaning duties. Was a great place to work and meet new people.
Overall good work environment
Frozen Foods Manager (Former Employee), Gilroy, CAJuly 21, 2014
Pros: corporate discount
Typical day included maintaining the frozen foods section, and helping customers. Fellow workers and management were fun and enjoyable to work with and helped the day go by quickly. my experiances i have gained there have helped me manage my time wisely and efectively while multitasking other job duties.
To provide Superior Customer Service
Food Clerk (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 21, 2014
Pros: the knowledge of superior customer service
This was my dream job right here. This job taught me everything about customer service. All the attributes to keep and assist customers. My co-workers were awesome. The hardest part was when I had to leave. The most enjoyable part was when the customers were satisfied with your service.
I liked the job and the crew
Meat Cutter (Former Employee), Aurora, COJuly 20, 2014
Pros: close to home met friends
Cons: always dirty
The job was fun. I learned how to cut meat properly and sell it also. The marks for management is low because they expected the impossible, it takes about 30 an hour to cut a chuck right. They wanted it in 15.
Long hours, big reward
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Santa ClaritaJuly 18, 2014
As a manger you are expected to work 10-12 hour day. the job is based off meeting goals, if goal are not meet you can be terminated or reduce to a lower position.
active, never dull.
Floral Department, Customer Service Desk (Former Employee), palm desert, caJuly 17, 2014
The store manager was active with his employees. Kept them informed of new things and items and also ideas for the store. Informed not only the employee of a good report, but he praised them. Very Clean and professional.
great company
Jamba Juice Clerk (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJuly 17, 2014
typical day at work is dealing with a lot of customers, fast paced, and being organized.
I had great co-workers who are great team players.
The hardest part about the job is dealing with upset and angry customer but the customer is always right and I was always able to find a way to fix their problem.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able – more... to talk and social with different customers and meeting new people. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Safeway

For many Americans, "going to Safeway" is synonymous with "going to the grocery store." Safeway is one of North America's largest – Read more