Safeway
2,896 reviews

Safeway Employer Reviews

Great Customer and Team Players
Seafood Department Manager (Current Employee), Bowie, MDJanuary 27, 2015
My typical work day at Safeway consists of breaking down pallets of fresh and frozen products, maintaining item tracking codes in order to track the bills of the day for Sales and Purchases (S&P), and displaying highly valued cases of the freshest products in order to meet the customers everyday needs. I have been trained in all departments of Safeway and know the products and/or items that will bring in profits to the store. My management team at the Fairwood Bowie Safeway location taught me great leadership and team work skills. I've developed great customer service and team player skills along with the means of running a business while working with the management and co-workers of Safeway. The hardest part of the job was learning new skills. I add more work in order of achieving the goal of becoming more proficient with a skill. The most enjoyable part while working for Safeway is the team work it gave the employees a great and warm environment each day we came to work.
Busy work environment
General Clerk (Former Employee), TucsonJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: generally enjoyable work environment
Cons: low compensation for the work and proformance expected, management and cleanliness of workplace depends highly on location
Management is generally reasonable, depending on the specific store or department that a person is working at.

Health benefits available on the current contract for employees is very expensive and very difficult to deal with. Any doctors visit ends up with many phone calls and often ends up not covering the visit or the service in the first place.
good
Bookkeeper and Office Manager (Former Employee), Cupertino, CAJanuary 27, 2015
CASH OFFICE COUNT THE SAFE 3 TIMES DAILY MANAGE MONEY SODA AND RECYCLE. THE SELF SERVICE CASHIERS LOAD AND UNLOAD. DAILY REPORTS CONFERENCE CALLS , WEEKLY MEETINGS AND MONTHLY IMPROVMENT LUNCHS

MONEY MANAGEMENT TRAINED 10 PEOPLE WILL TO MOVE LOCATION IF NEEDED . HAVE ALL PAPER IN THE ORDER AS NEEDED OR INSTRUCTED TO BE AS SET. LOYALTY AND PROUD TO EMPLOYED BY SAFEWAY ALSO HAVING ALL PAPER WORK SAVED AND TUCKED PROPREY

ON TIME WILL TO WORK OVER TIME FAST LEARNER. WILL TO TRAIN . MANAGED SCHEDULE FOR ACCOUNT TEAM .MEMORY AND SKILLED IN COMMUTATION
Fast
Pharmacist Assistant (Former Employee), Seattle, WaJanuary 27, 2015
Every shift worked needed to be planned and organized so that workers did not fall behind in work and keep up with prescriptions that were sent in and dropped of.
Great company to work for.
Assistant Bookkeeper/Payment Solutions Associate (Former Employee), norwalk, caJanuary 26, 2015
great people and a great place to work for.
Always something to do with members and coworkers.
Fun enjoyable yet challenging workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), Silver Spring, MDJanuary 26, 2015
I love Safeway and my co-workers are amazing how ever it doesn't pay the bills in a manner as to where I can be self sufficient and move out on my own.Management is amazing as well. We get the job done i love my Safeway family. The hardest part of the job is not have hours because of loss of merchandise its very inconsistent
safeway is an excellent place to work and grow
Produce Manager (Current Employee), Los Altos, CAJanuary 26, 2015
At work I am responsible for filling the department and keeping it full fresh and appealing with my team of four. I order all the items in my department and am responsible for the profits and marketing within my department. the best part of my job is the feeling of acco,plishment of getting better and better every day/week/month and so forth.
poor company do not hire
Interim Deli Manager (Former Employee), Boulder, COJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: pays cash
Cons: bad company
This is a very poor company. Some guy out of his garage that doesn’t even respect having a company. Doesn’t train people how to properly move others belongings. Will not return unsatisfied customers phone calls and will not compensate a lot of damage, hires teenagers to work under the table for cash.
Starter Job
Food Clerk (Former Employee), Lynnwood, WAJanuary 26, 2015
Good job not career, management could be better. Best part of job was clocking off
Order Selector (Former Employee), Tracy, CAJanuary 25, 2015
Made sure orders coming in or going out are processed. Achieved daily order quotas/goals. Worked quickly and efficiently to sort products by type and destination. Operated forklifts and pallet jacks in a safe manner. Used headset technology to efficiently track order placements and locate them in the warehouse. Package handler.
productive workplace.
Grocery Store Clerk (Current Employee), Bel Air, MDJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: sunday time and a half, healtcare.
Cons: too long of hours needed clocked to get a raise.
A typical day at works starts with clocking in ,and checking in with management. Management would start with what needed to get done that day and where my coworkers where and where i may be needed. Everyday i would be able to learn how to improve myself in working on the check stand,putting up stock such as remembering produce codes or to better help customers, and being able to face alse. Their really is not a hard part of the job once you learn how to order product ,and see what people like to but at a grocery store it is not hard to thing of what someone may buy even on a busy day;when a product is on sale.
great place
Courtsey Clerk (Former Employee), Madras, ORJanuary 25, 2015
I loved working at safeway the environment and co workers were great. so were the customers. it was such an easy job too
An old place that's fallen on bad times
Part-time Courtesy Clark (Former Employee), 177 Morrissey Blvd, Santa Cruz CAJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: 10% discount, minimum of 16-hour-work-week, flexible schedule, customer interaction
Cons: poor management
The Safeway store I worked at was the store my late grandfather worked before he passed away. Feeling like I'd accomplish some semblance of "continuing the legacy", I took a job there as a courtesy clerk. Granted, the job was fairly easy: gathering carts, bagging groceries, assisting customers and cashiers, keeping the place clean, and doing pretty much any little task that my superiors asked of me. I met some very good friends at that store and it was actually more painful than I expected when I told them "good-bye". However, management proved time and time again that its attention was on the wrong aspects of the store. The shelves in the store were old and falling apart, the work schedules were frequently placing too little cashiers at a time and interfering with my college class schedule, and whatever change there was done always seemed to be more of a quick patch job than a long-term fix. The hardest part of the job seemed to be dealing with trouble customers. Many times, there would be someone with an attitude that demanded 150% customer satisfaction, but I always fell back on my professionalism and never lashed out verbally and did my best to make sure all customers were satisfied, even the bad ones. The most enjoyable part of the job though was my coworkers. If I hadn't made such good friends at that store, I don't know if I would have lasted as long as I did. Being around people who are happy to see me really helps with the working spirit.
ALL bad
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Federal Way, WAJanuary 24, 2015
This company was horrible to work for, bad hours and pay. BAD BAD BAD BAD
Big busy place with lots of friendly people
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Oxon Hill, MDJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: friendly people, payday everyweek
Cons: no benifits, low pay
Very interesting and productive I learned a lot about about big industrial company's also learn how to move over 10 carts at one time my co workers where very friendly and the boss was amazing, I'd say the hardest part of the ob was getting to work because nothing was actually hard in the store everything was easy but the most enjoyable part of the day was getting off work.
Family environment with a good sense of community needs.
Bakery Service Clerk (Former Employee), Owings Mills, MDJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: family environment, flexible hours, employee union
Cons: occasional heavy lifting, frequent changes in management
I loved working at Safeway. I was able to flourish as a decorator and let my creativity shine at this organization. I really enjoyed the team atmosphere of Safeway. My peers and managers worked together as a unified whole. One of the most difficult parts of this job was pushing myself beyond my normal capacity to reach the excellent standards. Although challenging, it was rewarding. The most rewarding part was allowing my creativity to affect the lives of my customers. Filling cake orders for various occasions allowed me to feel like I was somehow a part of the most important days in the lives of those I served.
Good work enviroment
Food Clerk (Current Employee), Farmington, NMJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: flexable
Cons: pay and hours
very fast pasted, employees are great, the management needs some work, the pay is horrible for how much you have to do. the hours are awful you work every holiday usually. the customers make your days better. its a very easy going place. Everyone usually gets along so there isn't too much drama.
Fun Environment
Cashier (Current Employee), Redwood City, CaliforniaJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: not enough pay
A typical day at work would be to help customers in a friendly manner and try to solve problems in a fast and easy way. What I learned about Safeway was that you need to work fast and efficiently in a fast paced environment. Management is not very understanding, but they manage to work with you if you show that you are useful. The hardest part of the job is when there is long lines and you're trying your best to get the line moving. The most enjoyable part is getting to work with different people and get to know their culture.
Many hours depending on tier working
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Hayward, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: employees.
Cons: employees. no time to exhale.
Audits constantly to battle. hard to leave when many won't back you up. must follow through to make sure tasks are accomplished .
Ehhhh
Auditor (Former Employee), PhoenixJanuary 22, 2015
The job was just like any other corporate job, where you would sit in a desk seat from 7-4pm and couldn't wait to go home. I will give them the benefit that they finally decided to let everyone wear jeans and listed to music while working, but still doesn't beat some other jobs I have had in a similar position.

1 2 3 4 5

About Safeway

Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's second largest supermarket chain after Kroger Co., with, as – Read more