Safeway Employee Reviews

Found 6,089 reviews matching the search
worse than frys
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZAugust 20, 2017
I'm here 5 times a week. The employees are so kind and personable. Everyone is always happy and welcoming. From the cashiers to the baggers to the bakery/deli to the meat department, they have been so awesome to me and my family. Never encountered a grumpy employer.

Also, love that they value employees enough to not replace them with machines for self-checkout.

Quality of the food options are awesome. Love it here.
good place to work
Meat manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 19, 2017
safeway was a good company to work for. I had no problems working there I was there over 5 years until the closed my store so I decided to try something different
Less than 40 hours per week
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Murrieta, CAAugust 19, 2017
I need full time to support myself and I cannot get it at Safeway. I start between 2 and 3 a.m. everyday that I work. I work in a very cold environment/refrigerated. I learned how to make hourly employee work schedules, administer time appropriately, sanitize and clean the chopping room, etc. The hardest part of my job is the hours. The most enjoyable was the people that I worked with.
Management was excellent, courteous, respectful.
A typical day, I am very busy. Fast past, the time goes by fast
benefits
Cons
hours. not enough
Safeway
PRODUCE CLERK, FRUIT CUTTER (Former Employee) –  Fountain Hills, AZAugust 19, 2017
Safeway brought to me much physical labor with a low hourly wage. If the wage was a little higher, I would be more satisfied. Co-workers were always polite and hardworking individuals.
Productive and fun work place
Floral Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jackson, CAAugust 19, 2017
Safeway was always an enjoyable job speaking the fact I worked in the floral department. I always had a joy of working with flowers and the fact I got to create some of the most beautiful custom arrangements and to see how happy customers were with them, made me feel good. I'd have to say that the hardest part about my job was working with occasionally rude customers but despite that I always carried a smile on my face to the best of my ability. My coworkers were so kind, caring, and overall great people to work with.
Pharmacy
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CAAugust 19, 2017
Received written prescriptions or refill request
Received and store incoming supplies and verified quantities against invoices
Answered telephones, responded to questions or requests
Cleaned and help maintained the equipment and work area clean
Priced and filed prescriptions that have been filled
Prepared and process medical insurance claim forms and record
Dreary and taxing, at least there was a breakroom
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Apache Junction, AZAugust 18, 2017
Every day went by the same, check the meat case, grind beef we needed, answer customer questions. My direct manager was ok, however, the store manager was shady and untrustworthy.
Pros
deli hooked it up with free sandwich toppings
Cons
short breaks, short hours, no benefits.
good company
Maintenance Engineer Foreman (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 18, 2017
Safeway is a good company unfortunately I do not know what it is like now due to the fact that they got bought out by Albertsons. Overtime was available . Working and repairing hot ovens was not that much fun.
Questionable Hours
Lead Closing Checker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 18, 2017
Hours vary every week. One week you could be working 35, the next you could be working 15. It all depends on the sales for the store. I personally don't like having a steady amount of hours every week.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Minimum wage
Busy and fast paced
Combo Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Pedro, CAAugust 17, 2017
it was always busy lots of people shopping, in a cash register for most of my shift. It was an easy job just not a lot of hard workers. Management was good at the store.
Pros
discounts
Cons
slow to move up in position
Not organized/ horrible pay for what they expect of you
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZAugust 17, 2017
Managers failed to explain things they wanted done. Also failed to provide proper security for employee items, the break room was broken into and because the person who did it was contracted through a different company nothingever happened and what was stolen was never recovered.
All in all a 0/10 stars.
Pros
Late nights
Cons
everything else
Fun, enjoyable work place.
Starbucks Manager (Current Employee) –  West Linn, ORAugust 17, 2017
I take job in my job working at safeway, I like working as a team and getting to know my customers. Management is approachable and i value their opinion. I appreciate the openness of the management to my suggestions. I feel valued as an employee.
Pros
union benefits
Cons
Not enough hours
Always busy
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Battle Ground, WAAugust 17, 2017
Never knowing if you will receive a break, dealing with customers who try to get discounts on products. Deal with fake money and or checks/ cards that do not process.
fun
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 17, 2017
it is a great place to work stocking shelves of gocery items is on e of my duties i learn to become a leader in my job and it is a way to move up the ladder in the company so im doing courtisy and stocking the shelves for safeway.
Its a good starting job to learn the basics
Courtesy Clerk/Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CA 95376August 17, 2017
My typical day at work I would go in and stock the deli and frozen areas, and throughout the day I would prepare, wrap, and put out the meat for the meat department. It was hard at night balancing the amount of things that needed to be done because there were customers who needed assistance as I was usually the last one to leave if I was closing. The managers were friendly, if I needed help or asked questions they would answer me or try to help in any way they could. My only real concern was how late they addressed my reason for leaving. I wish they had handled my situation more respectfully and promptly. All around it was a good job, aside from my few problems, I learned a lot working there.
Productive, busy, and fun
Deli Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 17, 2017
During my position at Safeway I started off as a Deli Clerk and quickly advanced to Assistant Manager. During my time as Assistant Manager I was promised a raise and did not get that raise. I however did learn how to stock, count, and order more products for the shelves. I also experienced a lot of good people while working with Safeway co-workers and customers of all different types. It was a great experience.
Very poor management but when you need a job I guess you can't be picky.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Show Low, AZAugust 17, 2017
I originally left for the difficulties with the scheduling, but overall it was an okay job. A typical day as a courtesy clerk involved bagging groceries, getting carts, sweeping, and cleaning the bathroom. It was a pretty decent workplace culture.
Safeway
Starbucks Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAAugust 16, 2017
They're very flexible and I enjoyed my job when I worked there.
It's a friendly environment. One of my favorite jobs and if you're lucky, management will be great.
its a good first job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 16, 2017
had it in high school as any normal teen. manager was rude a lot. worked at the flagship store so everything had to be sharp as a tack. probably wouldn't recommend it.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 16, 2017
Working at Safeway was tiring. They always wanted you to do extra stuff that wasn't in your job description. Maybe not all Safeway stores are like this, but just the one I worked at and I have to hold managment at the time responsible for that.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.