Safeway
2,613 reviews

Safeway Employer Reviews

Productive workplace where hard work is recognized on a daily basis.
Assistant Manager, Bakery (Current Employee), Bend, OROctober 18, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to create product in an ongoing basis; being able to see the end result of all my team's hard work is one of my most rewarding employment benefits. In addition to creating beautiful product, I am able to build substantial relationships with my team and my customers. Without the ongoing support of my customers – more... I would not have a job; as a valuable employee I recognize this and go out of my way to ensure that quality personal relationships are built with the people that we serve. – less
Great company with plenty of advancement options and benefits
Starbucks Manager (Former Employee), Bellevue, WAOctober 18, 2014
Pros: diverse company to work for with its many departments, always a chance to pursue advancement.
Cons: with such a high volume kiosk it was a challenge to make time to train new employees, i would constantly have to leave the trainee to help out in the kiosk
A typical day at work would include coming in and going to the front office to print out the daily sales and profit reports from the previous day. Once recorded and filed away i would do a sweep of the kiosk to make sure everything was fully stocked & aesthetically pleasing to the customer. Throughout the day I would make drinks, ring up customers while – more... delivering excellent customer service, mentor fellow Baristas and delegate tasks to them to create accountability for them to take pride in what they do. Once a month inventory would get done to get a dollar amount for every ingredient, paper product, and retail item to keep ordering under control. Once a week I would place an order for supplies and ingredients.

This company taught me how to be a great leader, accurately place orders to achieve the highest profitability, time management, handling high stress situations, training different learning styles, motivating employees to want to advance in the company by delegating tasks, holding them accountable, and praising them upon completion.

The hardest part of the job would be staffing, most of the time there would only be two of us working with a 15 deep line. Due to Safeways labor generator we were only allotted a certain amount of hours which wasn't enough to handle our volume but I had an amazing team that never let me down.

The most enjoyable part of the job was our customers and my coworkers. The customers became friends as you see yourself getting to know them on a first name basis with their drink ready before they even reach the counter. They look forward to seeing your face everyday and I love the impact our service has on their day. With such a great job I had an amazing group of coworkers who were hard working individuals who loved what they did. Throughout my experience there was never a dull moment. – less
Very fast- paced, high energy job.
Food Clerk (Current Employee), Lakewood, WAOctober 18, 2014
Days can be a roller coaster just like in any work place. Must be able to work at a fast pace and willing to work in multiple areas of the store. Union based job with benefits. Great place to gain experience for multiple areas of the workforce.
Overall first long term job, enjoyed the customer service aspect
Deli Clerk and second in charge (Former Employee), Chula Vista, CAOctober 17, 2014
Pros: co workers
Cons: poor management, scheduling was always different from week to week
A typical day at work for me was to go in for 8 hours. If I opened which was most days, I prepared hot and cold food to be sold. I spoke to and rang up customers. I learned that I loved to help people out and talk to people. Management was not satisfactory, very unorganized, although she was very nice. Co-workers made work easier to get through, luckily – more... we were a good team so poor management was easy to overcome. The most rewarding part of the job? Definitely receiving gratitude and thanks from customers for helping them out and providing great service and a good experience. – less
very productive place to work
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Seattle, WAOctober 17, 2014
The hardest part of the job is finding time to finish everything
Great place to advance
Food Clerk (Current Employee), Fair Oaks, CAOctober 17, 2014
I have been with Safeway for 8 years now and have moved up and acquired great benefits for myself and the family.
Bad Management
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee), Redmond, OROctober 17, 2014
Could never expect to move up in the company. I was asked to train new employees for positions I had applied for, but was told even though I filled in for these positions that I wouldn't get the job but was encouraged to keep applying.
Productive and fun learning environment.
Intern, Process Improvements (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 17, 2014
The people working at Safeway Inc. are fun loving and always willing to lend a helping hand to anyone who asks for it. The company and its people seem to be like a big family. Excellent benefits and a caring work environment where every employee is given every opportunity to grow.
working conditions
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Tucson, AZOctober 16, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: not many hours
it was an ok place to work. a lot of work for little pay and the responsibility that one has there
great career opportunities
District Shrink Representative (Former Employee), Medford districtOctober 16, 2014
I have been with the company for over 20 years and I find it a great place advance and learn.
Great place in many different departments
Supply Operations Group - Senior Project (Former Employee), Pleasanton, CAOctober 16, 2014
Managerial staff are very encouraging and there is much room for job advancement.
not a good place to work
Night Shift Stocker (Former Employee), Prince Frederick, MDOctober 16, 2014
Pros: 10% off safeway brand foods
Cons: lazy people
too much to list,will never work at another safeway ever.stupid people in charge lazy co workers
Co-workers very positive
Liquor Manager (Former Employee), CAOctober 16, 2014
Pros: paid every week
Cons: if injured and on light duty you still have to work 40hrs no matter how much pain you're in
Very busy store. Built upon my time management and organization skills. All managers and employees were helpful, positive, and professional. hardest part was heavy lifting in a very tight time frame and the main distribution sending overstock that wasn't ordered, which made organization and rotation more challenging. the customers and co-workers were – more... the the best part of the job – less
ok job
night stocker (Former Employee), Aurora, COOctober 15, 2014
Pros: fun
Cons: money
good job to retire and be stable. not alot of money. fun working enviroment.
Company does not reward loyalty
Store Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 15, 2014
Pros: salary
Cons: upward mobility is limited
Long days, little recognition. The employees are great to work with. The upper management team is has changed 3 times in 2 years. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with people and customers.
the bosses where very nice
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), San Mateo, CAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: good hoilday partys ann b- days
Cons: nothing
i really like working for safeway the people was nice and it,s good to work with people who cares about each other and help each other.
Family oriented
Bookkeeper/Customer Service/Floral/Seafood Dept (Former Employee), Butte, MTOctober 14, 2014
Pros: learned alot in all departments
Cons: not much room for advancement
Great environment. All staff is greeting you every morning, and wonderful customers throughout the day.
Great people to work with
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 14, 2014
Pros: great company to work for
Cons: rigid schedule due to being a call center
Customer support over the phone can be taxing. Helping people was the best thing about the job, but some people can be very had to deal with due to the anonymity over the phone. Coworkers support each other and managers were always open to ideas.
fun when there is time, responsabilities come first
Cake Decorator (Current Employee), Laveen, AZOctober 14, 2014
Pros: vacations and health benefits
Cons: long days, not all the managers think alike.
day at work:
clock in,
do the bread wall, help with cake orders, pacadge items through out the day while helping others, do some back up products if there is time. bake breads, clean, bail cardboard, and go home.

I leaned that in the retail business it takes allot of time to keep the store up and running, the managers are great, very understanding, – more... but the big bosses like to come in the store on busy days and se how we are doing. they like to change packaging materials, and products we keep out on the floor. co workers are alright to get along with. on stressful weeks we all tend to get on each others nerves. holidays are a mess, and the time in-between them there is always something that keeps it hard for us to stay on our toes.

the hardest part of the job is time management. with customer service, cleaning and packaging it gets hard some days especially because I usually close, and I am always alone. the most enjoyable part of the day is cleaning. I know then my day is almost over, everything is done, and I get to go home and see my baby boy soon. – less
productive and fun working environment
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 13, 2014
A typical day at work consists of nonstop customer service for the customers and making sure the store is organized and enjoyable.

1 2 3 4 5

About Safeway

Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's second largest supermarket chain after Kroger Co., with, as – Read more