Safeway
3,314 reviews

Safeway Employee Reviews

Look elsewhere
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Foster City, CAMay 21, 2015
Not the best company to work for. Hardest part of the job is dealing with lack of integrity. Great customer service and safety culture. Every store is different.
productive and and a very good job to work with and stay with
courtesy clerk (Former Employee), redding,CAMay 20, 2015
Pros: benefits, weekly pay
Cons: unapropriate people always hanging around
my expeirance with safeway was a good work expeirance and glad they hired me i loved the people i worked with, we were always busy but i liked it that way, my managers were fair with everybody, typical day at work would be busy bagging groceries jobs when needed on schedule, bag groceries again, help customers. the hardest part about the job was being so busy and having to make sure store sweeps got done correctly at the same time,
Good job for a teenager
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Bel Air, MDMay 20, 2015
Provided customer service, maintained the hygiene and cleanliness of the whole store, bagged groceries, returned carts, and restocked unwanted items.
Store clerk
Front Store Clerk (Former Employee), Lakeport, CAMay 20, 2015
Completed task/assigmnments in a timely manner
Maintained safe/uncluttered work environment
Assisted customers friendly
Great place to work with opportunities for advancement
Category Analyst (Former Employee), Pleasanton, CAMay 20, 2015
I worked there before the merger with Albertson's. All departments were under one roof so the opportunity to learn about all aspects of the grocery business was a great benefit.
Hectic, and uncoordinated
Deli Asst. Mgr (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAMay 20, 2015
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: poor management
I enjoyed my time at Safeway, but it became very segregated and difficult towards the end. I do feel that I learned alot about management and will be able to carry those skills on with me to any future jobs.
everyday something new, a fast pace job with nice people all around
Food Clerk (Former Employee), Camarillo, CAMay 20, 2015
Pros: great benefits and pay.
Cons: not enough help and working hoildays and weekends
stocking shelves and help to check costumers out at the cash register help costumers with any other needs. My most enjoyable part about working Vons is always meeting new people. The hardest part of working at Vons is making costumers to management and everyone satisfied only have some must time in a day. I've learn to be a wiser stronger individual through life experiences at Vons.
the work place
Head Bookkeeper (Current Employee), Sunnyvale, CAMay 19, 2015
Pros: benefits
productive workplace busy never a dull moment what I have learned is patience, my co workers are very interesting individuals, there is nothing hard about the job just show up making a difference is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Prductive and fun workplace
Cashier/ Food clerk (Former Employee), Bryans Rd, MDMay 18, 2015
The hardest part about working at Safeway is closing but if you are aware of all the guidelines and procedures, you'll do great. Overall this is an outstanding job with friendly and polite people.
Manager (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMay 18, 2015
Very energetic,passionate, and hands on manager that gets along very well with co-workers. Leading and mentoring daily with operations and sales staff. Seeing people succeed at every level
A very good place to work and move up in the company
Cashier (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 18, 2015
Coming in making sure the store is clean and
I learn how to deal with unpleasant customers
Mangerment was great
Co-workers was good to work with
Just coming to work
Joyful atmosphere but lack of some structure
Night Stocker (Former Employee), Port Angeles East, WAMay 18, 2015
Pros: Employee discount, union benefits, employee events
Cons: Drawn out hours, monotonous, and lack of structure
The night crew was a closely knit group of people. Everyone mostly enjoyed the company of the others. Everyone enjoyed wry humor and were generally lighthearted. They were encouraging to work with. However, the night crew was not managed as well as it could have. The chain of command was unclear and indecisive at times.
Stocking groceries to customer service
Night Stocker/ Cashier (Former Employee), Lakewood, WAMay 16, 2015
Pros: Fun job working with customers
Cons: Scheduling and advancement no available often enough
Stocking groceries in timely manner, ringing up customers at cash registers. Providing information to customers where a item is found.
I was a cashier and also helped in floral when needed.
Cashier/Floral - Part-time (Former Employee), Denver, COMay 14, 2015
Completed orders thru the register, WIC and returns. Handled complaints and others that needed help finding merchandise or at self checkout.
Learned a lot, fun and enjoyable crew.
GM/Clerk (Former Employee), Fresno, CAMay 14, 2015
Self managed, crew was easy to work with, Learned a lot with the different areas that I have worked in. Enjoyed my management and enjoyed working all the different departments and with all the different people.
Great starting point.
Front End Cashier (Current Employee), Tacoma, WAMay 14, 2015
Pros: Fun environment, face paced days, good healthcare.
Cons: Little to no advancement opportunities, Payscale
Safeway is a great starting point, and my store has a welcoming feel. Although, like any retail job environment, you run into Debbie downers and negative Nancys. I've flittered through different departments, trying to see what fits me, and right now as a cashier, it's the closest to the 'perfect' fit that I have found. Seafood and Fuel didn't have the customer interaction that I'd hope for and Courtesy clerk - there really was no stability.

My work day starts out strong, the hours fly by while cashing people out, and there are regulars who've I feel like I've resonated with. They tell me a little about their lives since I last saw them, I see their children grow up into young adults and grieve with them when members pass away.

As far as my co-workers, there are a few people who just want to get out of working, and than there are a few people who love working at Safeway. Management (right now) is a little rocky since the merger and it's understandable.

While working for Safeway I've seen 4 managers come and go, all with their good and bad sides, and this new set is no different. There are days when you know you can't really talk to them about anything because of stress or they just don't feel like giving into things - but on good days you know you can ask about anything and they will sit down and discuss options and meet you in the middle on most things.

During my time at Safeway, I've learned how to operated scales for meat and seafood items, some codes, I've learned how to receive orders and use a Telezon/ hand scanner to make orders. I've worked in floral on holiday weeks, and made arrangements. I've been trained on a Point of Sale touch screen for the fuel station, and I've been operating a register for full time since August of 2014.

All in all, I've appreciated my time at Safeway, but I'm ready for something different, something hopefully with a better pay scale.
Work expericene with Book Keeping
Book Keeper (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 14, 2015
Cons: Healthcare, Unfair treatment of employees
• Pleasantly provided World Class service to maximize customers satisfaction
• Administer and collected correct tender to maintain a balanced cash drawer.
• Supervise nightly financial reports and deposits
• Comply with all of the correct procedures according to the Safeway safety policies
Very Good
Food Clerk (Current Employee), Aikahi parkMay 14, 2015
Pros: Mandatory Pay Raise every 6 months, Union, pay check every week
Cons: long hours, low pay
You clock in check in with the area manager and give customer a friendly world class service, co workers are nice hardest part of job remembering PLU codes
working at Safeway
Promotional Analyst II (Former Employee), Pleasanton, CAMay 13, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: Small fish in a big pond
Working at Safeway Corp has always been challenging but pleasant. I start my day by going through my emails and prioritizing my daily agenda.
My daily duties consist of writing reports, emailing vendors, checking ads, writing bulletins, marketing support, analyzing data and etc.
I was very fortunate to work with such a great team. Everybody has been very helpful.
This was a great job at first
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), suprprise, az / Goodyear,azMay 13, 2015
i started as a courtesy clerk bagging groceries and gretting people pulling in carts and cleaning the space around the store within a week and a half i became a deli clerk, The manager was awesome and cool and very profesional.

1 2 3 4 5

About Safeway

Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's second largest supermarket chain after Kroger Co., with, as – Read more

Safeway Salaries