Safeway Employee Reviews in United States

Found 4,081 reviews matching the search
N/a
Bookkeeper/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCAugust 16, 2016
handles customer relations, performs checking duties and supervisor functions on cash registers when necessary, handles and is accountable for cash flow and controls including: safe transactions, issues and pick-ups, cash register tills, approving checks, rain checks and refunds, and monitoring checker money handling procedures. Handles scan system emergency procedures, UPC codes not on file, hard to scan UPC codes, scan pricing errors and system failures and other
emergencies.
Not recommended unless you miss high school
Pharmacy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jackson, CAAugust 16, 2016
At first all was well and the job was amazing. Unfortunately they tend to keep employees who are rude and disrespectful to customers as well as management not wanting to reprimand for fear of "rocking the boat." I was put on medical leave after the abuse from coworkers became so bad I was becoming physically ill. I broke my foot and was told to suck it up and get to work... Couldn't go back so resigned. If I wanted to deal with that kind of abuse, I would still be in my first marriage....
Fast pace, Under paid for amount of work, short hours, good supervisors and management
General merchandise and courtesy clerk/ Night crew (Current Employee) –  Victorville, CAAugust 1, 2016
Work is fast pace , can be over worked occasionally , low hours, but good supervisors and managers, hardest part of the job is the amount that has to be done in a very short amount of time due to low hours.The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that new and interesting people can be met. Most of my co-workers are very good people who just want to do better.
Pros
Good co-workers, understanding management
Cons
low hours, overworked due to low hours
great place to work
all purpose food clerk (Current Employee) –  Longmont, COAugust 4, 2016
gathering racks of carts, bagging groceries and helping customers to their cars, and helping out in all the different departments, how to get certain parts of the job done right and faster, the management was and is very helpful and knowledgeable, co-workers are great and fun to work with, the hardest part of the job was trying keep the carts full in the store, the most enjoyable part of the job was working with my fellow co workers
Pros
working with my fellow co workers, and having fun while doing it
Cons
short breaks, and pay
Productive and efficient, yet fun at a professional level.
Retail Clerk, Courtesy Clerk, Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 10, 2016
Safeway was my first job. I loved it; as you can tell I worked there for 3 years. I started as a courtesy clerk where I was quickly put in a position to train all new hires. Then I was promoted to Produce clerk, and finally cashier. My favorite position was Cashier. The managers were great and very willing to help. My co workers were amazing, they helped me when I was new, and I made life long friends. The hardest part about the job was getting used to balancing school and work, but I quickly adapted. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work in an environment that offered comfort and pleasure.
Pros
10% off the Safeway brand groceries
Used to be a great place to work
Not saying (Former Employee) –  Not sayingAugust 12, 2016
Albertsons was a great place to work before the safeway merger. Over worked,under paid. They wanted me to do managements work without the pay. No room for advancement. Store directors are a joke at this "new" company. I worked there for 15 years and couldn't do it anymore. Don't call humam resources cause the call is NOT confidential. Your manager will approach you after the fact. What a joke. I know its not their policy to do so. I know cause in fact I was a manager at one time. They will push you to work 60-80hrs a week. Pencil you in om your days off so corporate doesn't know..... it's not safeway.... It's slaveway... stay away.... stay far away!!!!!
Good entry level job
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 18, 2016
I learned customer service, loss prevention, and product placement. The management was good, always tried to accommodate around my schedule for school and etc. My co-workers were a fun bunch of people who loved to help customers to the best of their ability and tried to make the store a place that you wanted to work and shop. I would say the hardest part of my job at Safeway was multi-tasking, wile the most enjoyable part of my job was helping people with special shop.
Pros
Life Insurance
Cons
Lunch breaks were not paid, store was in a high crime area.
Great job
Food Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 19, 2016
Safeway is a great job to work for. they have really nice dental which I love because I didn't have to pay for anything accept $40 for me and my son together every other time I went to the dentist. the health side is pretty good to I had a great dr through group health and they took very good care of me. they are very flexible with hours and very understanding plus they are union which they helped me a lot through the tough times I had with some managers. some managers are unfair and some manager are great and understanding just depends on management
Pros
great people
Cons
they merge with albertsons
A dull and boring work experience
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Antioch, CAAugust 23, 2016
Collecting carts for customers, sweeping the, cleaning up messes and spills. The hardest part was dealing with co-workers who were acting like my superiors, and trying to tell me what to do and not doing anything. Management was okay, before my transfer, and the reason being was because my current manager fails to see how that no person can survive on one hundred dollars a week. There really was no enjoyable part of the job. I've learned that I have to be independent when some co-workers refuse to do their job, or do don't do it correctly.
Pros
Breaks.
Cons
No promotions, no full shifts, terrible co-workers, bad managers.
Slashed hours recently
Checker (Current Employee) –  Woodinville, WAAugust 24, 2016
In the last 2 months since June through t least the end of August they have slashed hours significantly. I asked to pick up a shift that someone wanted to drop and because I'm a journeyman and they are basically a new hire I was told "I'm expensive" they'd look at it but it did not happen. Schedule changes week to week and almost every single day is different too.
Pros
health insurance is pretty decent group health sucks but after 3 years you can drop them.
Cons
inconsistent scheduling, pay takes a long time to move up, upper management seems to be very cheap
My time at Safeway
Dairy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 25, 2016
Overall my time has been great for the management is nice and understanding. The work environment I was put in especially nice as well. A typical day at work would be generally getting the product out to the customers as well as helping them with any discrepancies they may have. The hardest part would probably have to be the customers. sometimes they get a little antsy when you do not have the product they want. But otherwise, everything else is easy. My favorite part about my work is that I'm in a nice little work area, it's easy to manage and it all to myself
Pros
flexible lunches. more hours worked more breaks can be taken. everyone is nice.
Cons
takes too long to move up., start out with a low paygrade. a lot of hour cuts.
A good start
Retail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Goodyear, AZAugust 25, 2016
Safeway is an amazing way for high school students or ex-cons get off the ground. Store 1511 is an amazing place to work, everyone is friendly and it's amazing talking to some of the customers that shop here. Management is more on the relaxed side, and they are exceptional at exceeding standards. The hardest part is that you need to be able to multi-task quickly while dealing with customers. They really work with your schedule, but I don't find much use of benefits since everyone is technically part-time here.
Pros
The friendly environment and outstanding coworkers
Cons
Easy to get written up, customers complaints can get you written up for the smallest things, breaks are only 10-15 minutes for 8 hour shifts.
Horrible managment
Former food clerk/ Checker (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIAugust 25, 2016
I really don't know what to say! The management is truly horrible from the top to bottom. The store manager feeds his customers lip service; while behind the scenes he treats his employees like liquid trash. Not to mention the constant belittling of employees in front of customers right in the open store. Oh, and did I mention the lighting in the store gives off the vibes of a dungeon. All in all the job was stressful and not worth the time.
Pros
Lunch, friendly coworkers (exluding managment)
Cons
"CHECK OUT SERVICE!"
Okay at first!
Checker (Current Employee) (Current Employee) –  Hilo, HIAugust 25, 2016
As an employee I am finding my job becoming more and more detrimental to my overall wellbeing. Anytime we get a customer who changes their mind, or simply doesn't want something we have to call for an override; which in essence shouldn't be a problem, but management always take their time and make you feel stupid for calling them. I want this to be a good job, but I don't have a lot of faith in management at this point.
Pros
Occasional friendly customer, 1hour lunches
fun place to work
File Maintenance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORAugust 29, 2016
started my days at 4am and worked until the job was done. the crew i ran was a group of amazing people we worked very well together. every day i printed, sorted and hung price tags for the store. every tuesday night all sale prices changed so i would end up printing and sorting about 6,000 tags. very great company to work for.
Pros
good company, good benefits and wonderful employees
Cons
sometimes worked 17 hr days. being managment i had to stay until the job was done
Entry_Level Working
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, CAJuly 25, 2016
The staff at the Lafayette, CA Safeway will teach you the basics of working in both the food preparation and customer service. There are legitimate promotion options for those who display the business acumen and dedication necessary required for a management position. The culturally and experienced-varied staff understand the plight of entry-level worker, and will work with you if you are willing. The labor union provides a quality safety-net for all workers .
An okay place to work
Fuel Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  North City, WAJuly 26, 2016
The customers are generally rude and half are broken English. Get mad at you when THEY tell you the wrong pump number. Some don't know how to use the pumps and blame it on you. Two thirds will forget their pump number when they come in and expect you to figure it out. I'd honest rather clean all 12 pumps than deal with the rude customers. I've worked in many of the departments before working in this one and I can say it's probably the worst department at Safeway. Other than the hours, I hated the fuel station
Pros
Hours were great
Cons
Terrible customers, extremely boring when not busy
Huge grocery store that doesn't close. Fun, yet redundant.
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Morgan Hill, CAAugust 25, 2016
My experience working for Safeway thus far has been interesting, fun and outstanding. From upper management to Courtesy Clerks, all cool. I've had the pleasure to learn that Safeway is a great place to work, and a fun place to be. My current goal is to become a union meat clerk, and eventually a meat cutter. Because I'm excellent at cutting meat, and would enjoy it.
Pros
Benefits, employee's, management, everything.
Cons
Nada
Fun and enjoyable place because of my co-workers.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 20, 2016
Having been out of the loop on retail work, I was a bit nervous getting back into it. However, the employees there made the job a very easy transition. The customers were fantastic. Although tiring as I wasn't used to standing all day, the job was enjoyable.
The management were also very helpful, not afraid to get their hands dirty and chip in to assist their employees.
Pros
Co-workers, management, very flexible hours
Cons
no benefits (part time)
It was alright
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92154July 20, 2016
A typical day working at Safeway consisted of being the only one actually working among the courtesy clerks. Regularly being called out to do carts knowing full and well that you brought them all in 20 minutes ago. Being moved from shift to shift on a whim. Speed trained in multiple departments for versatility, not productivity. Long hours, unappreciative management, and the pay wasn't great compared to previous labor intensive jobs I'd had.
Pros
Decent Deli foods
Cons
Management, Other Courtesy Clerks