Safeway
3,224 reviews

Safeway United States Employee Reviews

Current environment is difficult and uncertain
Manager-Area not disclosed (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CAApril 26, 2015
Recent merger has created uncertainty and retention issues...those who have stayed have increased work and responsibility with no additional compensation, or retention incentive. Likely to become more challenging over time
Hard Work
Cashier (Current Employee), Issaquah, WAApril 25, 2015
Pros: having a job
Cons: no cons
The store is always busy and there is always something to do. The hardest part is pleasing the customer. The management is quite business savvy and friendly.
I enjoy my co wokers and my job duties
Person in Charge (Current Employee), Walla Walla, WAApril 24, 2015
I dislike the management and the way the store is ran, therefore i am seeking something new. I like the people i work with and enjoy my job and tasks i preform. I don't agree with the way management runs the store.
everything you would expect from a behemoth of business
Meat/Seafood Field Merchandiser (Former Employee), OregonApril 24, 2015
The company provided me with (nearly) a good career, but in the end, staff are just part of the equipment, and treated as such when senior management changes hands - you are handled as if you had given cause to be fired
I experienced a top notch HR team at Safeway
Human Resources Representative (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COApril 24, 2015
The HR team was great. Retail grocery was an interesting learning experience for me after nearly 20 years in the Banking industry.
productive place, good teamwork
Helper Clerk (Current Employee), Puyallup, WAApril 24, 2015
coworkers get me through the day. work can be a little rough because i am a hard worker and care too much when others dont hold up their end because i believe we are all a team. i also do believe that you would probably have that problem at most places. overall decent place to work at. they work with my school schedule and for the most part, havent done me wrong.
The job was good.
Food Clerk (Former Employee), Springfield, ORApril 23, 2015
Pros: nice atomsphere
Cons: bad management team
typical day at Safeway would be to stock a cart full of produce and put it out on the floor. Loved working there but needed more hours then they provide me with.
Too bad they de-centralized and laid off over 4000 jobs.
Regional Manager (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CaliforniaApril 23, 2015
Pros: Great culture and people
Cons: Closed their corporate office
Besides closing the Pleasanton corporate office, Safeway became a great place to work over the last 5 years. The culture improved and the compensation improved. The only place to apply now is for the Northern California Division or the at the Store.
good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 22, 2015
A good place to work, learned a lot of valuable things that I will take to every employer I have. Some of the people made it a fun place to work
Baker Assistant (Current Employee), Mill Valley, CAApril 22, 2015
Its an ok place to work if you want to pay to way and get paid way less then what you have to pay them. I wish they would give you mare for the amount of work that they have you do. or at least give you the proper amount of money for the work you do.
Great Place to work
National Pricing Analyst (Current Employee), Pleasenton, CaApril 22, 2015
Great Place to work, I gain a lot of knowledge and skills that I can be used in other areas of Retail. The culture was friendly and the company promoted have a healthy lifestyle and a good work balance life.
No advances and need more hours.
Produce helper (Current Employee), Kirkland, WAApril 22, 2015
Pros: Enjoy working with customers and love all my co-workers.
Cons: No opportunity for advances.
It could be produtive and fun, but they do not give raises to 90% of their employees. They tell us we can advance, yet it is hard to advance if not given the opportunity. They just tell us what we want to hear. I should never have started work there. A typical day at work consist of stocking, cleaning after day crew is gone. I get along great with produce manager and assistant manger. Don't get much chance to communicate with store manager. Hardest part of my job there is not getting paid enough. I enjoy talking to and helping out customers.
great place to work
Front End Clerk (Former Employee), Spearfish, SDApril 21, 2015
Pros: discounts
I was a fill in for most positions, I could work from the front desk to the Starbucks. I mostly worked the floral department. I loved the jobs
fun atmosphere and family oriented
Meat Apprentice (Former Employee), Pinetop, AZApril 21, 2015
SAFEWAY IS A GREAT COMPANY TO WORK WITH, ESPECIALLY ABOUT CARING TO SUCCEED WITH IN THE COMPANY. BENEFITS WAS ALSO A PLUS. AND WELL TRAINED ON ALL POSITIONS YOU APPLIED FOR.
Pretty good job
Starbucks Manager (Current Employee), Sandy, ORApril 21, 2015
Pros: Close to home
Cons: Have to work holidays and all weekends
Fun job, really cool atmosphere. Just looking for a change of pace. I've been working in coffee for almost 6 years, and would enjoy a change of pace.
great place to work. friendly co-workers
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), District Heights, MDApril 21, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: employee discounts are not good. not any
I enjoyed working for Safeway. wonderful co-workers such a good team player environment. wonderful picnics and company gatherings.
Great Company to Work for
Draftsman/Store Planner (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 21, 2015
The hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with Division Designers and their request for planning a layout to meet the needs of a Division
Slaveway
Cashier (Former Employee), WashingtonApril 21, 2015
Pros: dedicated customer-base made days bearable
Cons: disorganized management, endless micromanaging, inconsistent hours
Every little thing needed a manager's approval, which would have been fine if there was consistently a manager in the front of the store. Sometimes we had to keep customers waiting for up to 10 minutes because the machines would not let us move forward or even cancel a transaction without a manager's card. 99 times out of 100, they'd just give you the card to move on anyway without even assessing the situation.

Management was extremely disorganized. Every department was so out of sync you'd think they were entire blocks away from each other. Employees in other departments often complained about not being given breaks or being forced to do things they should not in any way be expected to do (such as forcing a food clerk to clean up a huge barf explosion in the public bathroom).

All my co-workers were very nice, but treated terribly by some of the managers. Courtesy clerks were referred to as "dumb teenage boys" in front of the cashiers.

Some of the managers were even rude to the customers, often resulting in conflict where there had previously been none. Forcing cashiers to micromanage made an already tedious job even more so.

I loved being able to help customers, but it did not make up for the extremely difficult work environment. I felt like I was often unable to assist customers as well as I wanted to because of the management.

That aside, the work was generally easy, and the pay was worth the work put in. However, the hours were incredibly inconsistent, jumping anywhere between 15 to 35 hours every other week with no way of knowing how many you would get. Mandatory union participation was useless and only felt like an added burden to my already small paycheck.
Terrible working environment!!
Produce Clerk (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 20, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: all of above
If you like working with young thugs and ex-cons then this is the perfect job for you a total bottom of the barrel job. Terrible environment for customers and employees who are not about "that life".
Very active kids.
Service Manager (Former Employee), McKinney, TXApril 20, 2015
These rambunctious kids are not content to just sit and watch TV. They follow instructions very well and are joyous at any activity which they get to participate in, especially if it is physically demanding.

1 2 3 4 5

About Safeway

Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's second largest supermarket chain after Kroger Co., with, as – Read more

Safeway Salaries