Safeway Employee Reviews

Found 5,004 reviews matching the search
don't work here you will regret it
department floater (Former Employee) –  Washington StateFebruary 19, 2017
The store I worked at was, and still is, a mess. Management didn't want to work with anyones schedule, they were rude, my store director actually FORGOT to do the paperwork for my raise and I had to threaten to call the union and corporate before I got what I should have been being paid. I also got zero backpay for that. My co-workers were all very nice though. Had management been better, I would have actually loved to stay, but it seems like management at all safeway stores is just as incompetent from what I've heard from my old co-workers. Honestly just save yourself the hassle and don't work there. They will treat you horribly and use you as a doormat if you let them, and if you don't let them, they'll fire you.
Pros
co-workers were super friendly
Cons
management was unwilling to work with my schedule, was bounced from department to department, rude management, received no proper training
It a good place to start....
GM Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lake Elsinore, CADecember 10, 2016
It a good place to start but if your able to find other employment do it! Management is horrible and is more concerned about displays being filled then the shelves and is not concerned about your well being. They claim they have flexible scheduling but that never happens. Store is always messy and has a problem with theft and homeless people hanging out at the front entrance. The atmosphere is very quick and chaotic and it can be very hard to try to finish tasks when other employees and management is calling you. It's very hard to obtain raises. The union is ok but not the best. If you do get employment don't stay for long it's not worth it.
Pros
a weekly paycheck, health care benefits
Cons
hectic atmosphere, bad management, scheduling not flexible
Good job to start off, but not a career worth lifelong.
Cashier/Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAFebruary 4, 2017
Very fast paced work. Have to catch on quickly. Management were very strict and pretty less merciful. The culture workplace was fun and pretty hectic. The hardest part of the job was being accurate with everything you do. The orders, the payments, the customers. Most enjoyable part of the job was definitely my co-workers. Just being able to talk with them kind of took my mind off the tedious work, as well as day to day customers.
Pros
free manager meal
Cons
Very low pay, high demanding job with little to no benefits
its a job
Produce Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CASeptember 21, 2016
not an absolutely horrible job. Benefits get cut every other year due to weak union . most people that work there are miserable. Only guaranteed 24 hours a week . Takes at least 5 years minimum to get to top wages unless you're lucky. Could be improved by improving management and reforming corporate structure . If you're lucky you have a good management team and makes your job much better. I was never lucky there constant hour fluctuation , constant whining from management about little things and often mood swings or various corporate persons coming in and nagging about little things and you drop everything you're doing to do whatever they say then go back to whatever management whines about then back to your job . Would only recommend as temporary or side job for most persons. scheduling varies each week never constant hours or days off . generally no room for advancement
Pros
... potentially flexible schedule best for younger persons (students ect)
Cons
poor management and corporate, scheduling is worst i've ever had
good company
Produce Helper Clerk (Former Employee) –  Yelm, WAJanuary 7, 2017
Safeway is a good company to work for, they provide great benefits. I started out as a courtesy and two years later i was able to move up to a produce clerk. Here I learned about bagging groceries and helped customers out to their car, as well as bring carts in and clean. When I moved to produce I learned what quality produce was and pulled expired items to the back. I communicated with customers and helped them find what they were looking for whether in the produce area or another part of the store. The management was good when I first started but when Albertsons bought out Safeway and things changed dramatically, the stress got pretty high and the tension between management and employees. The hardest part was trying to make sure I was keeping up with the new changes in the end.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
stressful
Good Place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  ArizonaFebruary 11, 2017
Cashier, Customer Service Counter.
Learned a lot about grocery items. Use this info to this day.
Management in any grocery business very quick to change. Rotate managers quite a bit

Culture of store was good, had some bad years but mostly good. Has come along way

Hardest part of job when customers just wanted to complain about all food..... but got thru

People most enjoyable part.
Pros
Discounted dli
Cons
Great management but terrible hours
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newark, CAJanuary 12, 2017
For a retail job, this was a decent place to work. The management was great; they treated me like a person and were willing to listen to my concerns and answer my questions. The other employees were very nice and willing to help whenever I needed it. As is typical of a summer job (in my experience), I had terrible hours and no benefits. It was difficult to get any time off for family vacations, even if I planned a month in advance, and even though I said I couldn't work Sundays, I somehow ended up with Sunday hours anyway. But whenever I had a problem with my schedule, I could always talk to management about it and they would work with me to fix it.
Pros
Friendly employees, helpful management
Cons
Terrible hours, no vacation time
Solid, enjoyable retail job
DELI CLERK (Current Employee) –  Milton, WADecember 27, 2016
I have worked at a Safeway Deli for only 1 year, but the experience, skills, and knowledge I have gained make it feel like a lifetime. Some customers (and admittedly, some employees) soured my experience- but didn't ruin it. I genuinely, at the core of myself, love working here. It's a shame it isn't a viable source of income to sustain myself (you must reach journeymen status to do so, which takes some time) otherwise I would be comfortable growing within the company for many years as I go to school.
Overall, it is a very enjoyable job with many kind people. It would be great as a first job or an in-between job. Or even a career path for managers.
I'm sure the store you go to will give you different experiences, but the one I had at Milton will forever be a part of me and who I am as a working professional.
Pros
Great supportive employees and employers; health benefits; flexible scheduling
Cons
Dealing with unreasonable customers
More work with less time
Assistant Produce Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 8, 2017
Working in the department can be very stressful. If you take pride of your work, you want to show them that you're doing a good job. But that becomes a big challenge because this company is all about cutting hours and adding more labor. As your department is getting less hours, your employees will end up looking for a another job. Safeway is always short on staff and customers will always complain about not getting help. As an assistant produce manager, I take pride what I do, but the Safeway corporate don't care how hard you work. They only care what is not done. Working here is place where they will never appreciate what you have done for them. No matter how positive your sales and rating are, they will find something just to say You Suck in professional way.
Pros
Job security, health benefits, stable wage, easy to get hire, easy to move up in ranks
Cons
ack of hours, Lack of teamwork, unappreciative upper managment, tons of labor under minimum work hours.
Fast Pace, friendly work environment
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2017
A typical day at work consists of me serving customers 90% of the time that I am on the clock. I slice meat and cheese, make production, prep for the next. If I'm lucky I get to work on the register sometimes which helps my customer service skills. Learning how to deal with different people and their personalities, with a smile on your face is an important skill to have. I also work in other departments of Safeway not only the deli. I choose to expand my knowledge to benefit Safeway because an employee may call out or not show, then I will be available to work or help customers. I've learned to manage my time because customers want to be in and out so I try to work a fast pace. The workplace culture is pretty friendly and very homey since the Safeway I work at is small. There is no hard part about my job because after a year you're pretty used to working. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with customers.
Pros
benefits ( health care, retirement)
Cons
little hours
Great benefits but always work weekends
Starbucks Clerk (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 1, 2016
I worked for Safeway for 5 years. I was a Courtesy Clerk(bagged groceries), Cake Decorator, Starbucks Barista and Deli Clerk. Union does affect transferring to new departments because they could be under a different contract. You will work weekends and most Holidays but you do get Holiday pay. Your shifts won't be set unless you have seniority which there is a lot of employees who have 20 plus years seniority. Some really great employees but some store managers are conceited and talk down to you. Some store managers are humble and aren't too good to go get carts while the store is busy but that trait I've only seen in 1 store manager out of 6 store managers I've worked for. Don't expect to be a full time employee right away due to Seniority too.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Working weekends, mixed shifts, bad management
Pretty average workplace.
Fuel Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJanuary 14, 2017
The first two years working there were fine, but once year 3 hit the little annoyances really started to wear on me. It didn't help that the Fuel Station environment is VERY disconnected from the main store--left it feeling very isolating, which would have been fine with me if it had just been a little observation station instead of a kiosk, but when there's a hundred (often irritable) customers coming in every day and barely any contact with fellow employees, the little annoyances start to outweigh the relaxing aspects. Also not helped by the fact that I never got a raise in the 4 years I worked there, and never really felt comfortable asking for one.
A decent delivery driving job
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR 97232February 3, 2017
This is a fairly easy job if you're an experienced delivery driver. The trucks are easy to drive and most deliveries are quick and painless. On the other hand Downtown Portland is always a challenge. Parking is always risky and tickets can happen quick. Loading can be an issue as each store has a slightly different setup in back. The schedule is the biggest problem; the shifts are setup somewhat strange and make having a personal life a very difficult thing to achieve. If you're part-time, you'll probably be working 15-25 hours, 5 days a week. If you're full-time, you'll probably be working 35-40 hours, 5+ days a week with double shifts on certain days. There is no room for advancement and no where to go but possibly from part-time to full-time. Pay increases are based on a meager percent system so you'll most likely see raises in the pennies and nickels.
Pros
good manager/trainer, small employee discount, decent back room loaders
Cons
no breaks, work schedule, loading system, truck maintenance
Safeway is looking for long-term employees, but is not willing to provide compensation needed for retention.
Customer Service Manager, person in charge (Former Employee) –  Cle Elum, WA, Bellevue, WASeptember 29, 2016
Safeway provides minimal on-the-job training and uses the 'sink or swim' method quite liberally and has a very high turnover.

Many union contacts are written so that the only way to get a raise is to move up in the company, but department managers are heavily scrutinized and told that their best isn't good enough.
Pros
Healthcare premiums are affordable.
Cons
Management often breaks union rules until confronted or reported.
Head Clerk; Managing associates in a timely manor and completed the tasks required from corporate.
Head Clerk (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 2, 2016
Safeway has an amazing culture of employees that work through out the day. I have learned how to use communication skills to my best advantage, becoming a manager at the age of 18 was a great accomplishment I have obtained but the hardest part was having other employee view the same way. I loved being able to guide the courtesy clerks and show them how I obtained the position I was currently in. I very much enjoyed training new employees and show them the right way to complete a job task. Overall Safeway made me the hard worker I am today, there was never a dull moment. I have learned how to handle to store when the power was out! Taught myself to preserve and maintain perishable foods and take frozen foods to the main freezers.
Pros
Money management, the pay was great, my co-workers
Cons
Closing the store everyday, management not helpful, not enough employees
Excellent introduction to the retail industry, employees were like family.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 5, 2016
it was my first job and with no experience working( at all) it was a excellent introduction to not only the retail industry but working in general. employees were amazing and are still some of my best friends today. management at the time was not great but i believe its been resolved. overall, not bad for a people person, but i warn you there is a lot of resolving almost humorous customer issues and complaints and the jokes become less funny down the line.
Pros
Stong work team, excellent employees, some customers will become friends, work load is not horrible.
Cons
Union Benefits, Management can suck, you may get tired of dealing with unpleasant customers, you wont become rich( unless your there for 20 years and top out at $20) expect $300 dollars a week.
life at safeway
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAJanuary 15, 2017
pay is good, benefits not so much, no work life balance at all unless your a manager or director.

this job is not for the average family man, if you are single with no kids then this is ideally for you.
Pros
ok pay.
Cons
raises are anually and they arent to great, working 15 hours a day isnt fun at all and the benifits for supervisors arent good at all.
Albertsons Merger is a culture of compliance and less focus on patients
Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee) –  Colorado Spgs, COFebruary 8, 2017
I have worked several years with them. At first, a very decent company that wanted to help patients and treated their pharmacy employees well good benefits etc. As the years past it was more compliance and micromanaging. There was more unnecessary spending on counseling/patient care rooms. As Safeway went into debt, labor was slashed for many years and it still is. As Albertsons has taken over and have put their management in place and it is much more stressful job. Now, its 60 day corporate audits with write ups if you don't pass.( day supply, missing Rxs, missing signatures etc. )must be perfect. Lots of P and Ps!
The job is usually high intensity and the computer is very slow and clumsy. (PDX). The pharmacists have too many audit pieces that they are responsible for. It leads to less time with customers and more attention to passing an audit and possibly missing more important tasks during the day. If you float , be ready to travel.
Pros
Benefits, schedule flexibility
Cons
Staffing, audits, time to complete tasks, computer system
Every store is different, some are good, most are bad.
Checker (Current Employee) –  King City, ORNovember 30, 2016
I've worked at three different store locations. Two of them were union, and while it was stressful work as a checker, it was rather rewarding when people look forward to seeing you in your lane. At my current store however, a clusterfuck doesn't even begin to describe it. Management is everywhere doing nothing, I've been yelled at more times than I can count in an average day, and if I didn't need the money I'd be out of there faster than you could believe.
Pros
Fun coworkers, left to do your work for the most part
Cons
I've worked here a year and a half and I still don't know what benefits I have
Safeway from the Inside.
BOOKKEEPER (Former Employee) –  Rohnert Park, CAJune 24, 2016
Safeway is a very dangerous place to work. The management is the worst I have ever worked for. I have never had managers treat all of their employers like high school children. They made me feel very afraid for my job security, my private life being kept separate from my work life, and the particular position I worked in was more than often scary due to the customers I would get. Customer service/ bookkeeping is the worst job in a Safeway. Not only do they move up the salary ladder the slowest, even a courtesy clerk, they have the busiest job that pays near the littlest. If one must work at a Safeway, then I suggest making the managers your best friends ever and working in a department like the bakery or produce departments. I could go on and on about how a particular Safeway is very bad to it's employees, but I think giving them one star (because I couldn't give none) on every level does enough for them. I regret my entire career at Safeway.
Pros
Hour lunches. That's it.
Cons
Everything else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.