Safeway
3,550 reviews

Safeway Employee Reviews

Productive and fast pase environment
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Ukiah, CAJuly 29, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Your hours are determined depending on our sales. Hardest part of the job is the cleaning of the department when we closent of sandwhiches and lunch meat to be sliced but as a big grocery store its expected
Not good for work/life balance
Clerk (Former Employee), San Ramon, CAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: weekly pay
Cons: the union is enforced & do very little for you, always new managers
The environment is very tense, managers constantly breathe down your back, managers are impolite, and uncaring about their employees unless they have some type of connection (I.e) (same race). This particular store that I worked for, was continuously under staffed, co-workers some were friendly and team players while some others were sneaky and lazy...
good company
store florter (Current Employee), santa monicaJuly 29, 2015
this company is really good I approve of there dedication towards there employees and customers there great I would I feel like everyone should at least experience this job.
it was an ok enviornment
Combo Clerk (Current Employee), Lakewood, CaliforniaJuly 29, 2015
Pros: discounted grocery items
Cons: no hours
The management was poor. The job itself was not tood bad but i am now looking for change. A new life needs to start with a new job.
It was a grocery store.
Bookkeeper (Former Employee), Benicia, CAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Very interesting
Cons: Dealt with all the money/underpaid
Not much to say here. This job was basic, underpaid and dangerous. Customer service desk was always interesting! But the lack of pay and the job requirements did not match.
Friendly Environment
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Poway, CAJuly 29, 2015
Lots of learning experiences, great first job, good environment, very flexible hours. Overall a very enjoyable job. Learned good customer service skills and how to manage time. Learned responsibility and the importance of being reliable.
Summer Job
Night Stocker (Former Employee), Douglas, WYJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Co-workers were nice, job was fun
Cons: Underappreciated by management, working night shift was hard for me.
This was just a job I took for the summer before I returned to college to finish my degree. I worked the graveyard shift, so that was difficult for me to get on that kind of schedule, especially during the summer when I would rather be outside during the day rather than sleeping. However, the job itself was decent. I enjoyed stocking the shelves and my co-workers were enjoyable to work with. However, when the day shift started and management was there, it put on a whole difference atmosphere that was no longer enjoyable. I did not feel appreciated by management because it seemed to me that they did not think we worked hard and would always give us additional tasks to complete that we would never be able to get done with the amount of work we already had in the hours we worked.
Taking bags out for the customers and bringing in carts.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Mill Valley, CAJuly 28, 2015
I liked working with the customers in Safeway, including giving them help to their cars carrying the bags or pushing the cart with the bags then put them in the car.
good and bad
Floral Clerk/Floral Manger (Current Employee), Livermore, CAJuly 28, 2015
Worked for the company for 9 years, at multiple locations, every store is the same, your lucky if you get a awesome store manager, some are ridiculous and make life and work her. I was always given chances to move up but then never given the proper compensation. I was promised many thing that never happened, taken advantage of by stepping up a manager and never being recognized or paid correctly for my hard work, there's union contract rules and Safeway contract rules that don't co work with each other unforunatley
Not Enough Money or Appreciation
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Fort Washington, MDJuly 28, 2015
For all the flack you get from customers and management alike, you consistent hard work go unappreciated. If you get a promotion, it's sheer luck or its because no one else will do it and they know you are a person who will try and be team player but will neglect to give you a pay raise for the extra work you just took on.
Hard work oriented enviroment
checker / produce (Former Employee), Silver Spring, MDJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Discounts
Cons: healthcare
Busy day with alot of work to do, alot to learn.
Great management
Good responses from other employees
the job gets hard towards the end of the day
and it is enjoyable when u see the manager smiling at u.
okay kinda of workplace.
Customer Service/ Stock (Former Employee), Bay Point, CAJuly 28, 2015
Pros: discounts, not overtime shy
Cons: over worked and underpaid
typical days are most of some kinda of party aspect or maybe i just knew to many co workers outside of the work place.
While working at bay point Safeway i have learned not to become close friend with the co workers. Also even though you may be a hard worker not every one will give you the proper accomplishments
The hardest part about working at bay point Safeway is some managers were very racist and rude. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able ti help people
Perfect first job experience
Courtesy Clerk/Checker/Customer Service (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 26, 2015
A typical day at work would be slow one part of the day and busy for a short part of the day. I've learned a lot at this job, considering it being my first one. The management isn't so bad, the supervisors know how to do their job but sometimes they aren't just on top of things. Co-workers turn into team players and you grow to appreciate each other. The hardest part of the job is only dealing with difficult customers while the most enjoyable part of the job is making a customer happy.
Prductive and fun workplace
Stocking Manager (Former Employee), Mesa, AZJuly 26, 2015
Pros: Being a part of team
Cons: Working holidays
A typical day at work would be to unload the truck,breakdown pallets,stock the shelves with products,write the order for the next day,send it,clean up and break down boxes, and open store.Management was great. My co-workers worked really hard and we got along.The hardest part of the job was having all that done in 8 hours.The most enjoyable part of the job was stocking the shelves in a timley manner.
A stressed invornment and horrible management
Fresh-Cut Produce Clerk (Current Employee), Pueblo West, COJuly 26, 2015
Pros: 2 15 min breaks 30 min lunch
Cons: Not enough hours
Could not provide workers in my department with enough hours, My Co-workers always put off a stressed and not friendly vibe
typical day
Retail Sales Manager (Current Employee), Reseda, CAJuly 26, 2015
Hard overworked day with no employee help. District Manager, Store Manager come in and wonder why things are not done. Then provide how they would have done it.
Productive and fun work environment
Finance Clerk 2 (Former Employee), Pleasanton, CAJuly 25, 2015
Pros: free gift cards for holidays
Cons: massive layoff
Answered calls all day for bulk gift card orders. It was fun and satisfying helping out customers. i filled the order as well to ship out to the correct safeway stores.
Great advancement and management staff who would mentor.
Assistant Service Supervisor, Tom Thumb (Former Employee), Coppell, TXJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Paid every week
Cons: 45hrs per week while in high school
10+ employees to supervise, timing for each individuals break. Learned how to lead and set the tone work wise. Maintain function of self checkout station.
Great Company and Very Friendly
Starbucks Clerk (Current Employee), Huntington Beach, CAJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Sampling everything we sell
Cons: Always busy
A typical day at work is greeting customers and fulfilling tired citizens with their morning cup of their favorite coffee. I have learned a lot about coffee and how it is made and where it comes from. I have also learned how to really focus and take on tough situations. The management is great! my managers are so helpful and willing to listen when I need help. My co-workers are awesome as well and we work so well together. Nothing about the job is really that hard and I enjoy doing almost everything at my job.
strict
Courtesy Clerk - Customer Service (Former Employee), Sandy, ORJuly 23, 2015
Pros: I had no pro's
It's all fine to work for a strict company but if you got in with your friends and you're having a hoot listening to stuff with your friends or even being a little different than you are at work while OFF the clock you can be fired almost instantly.

1 2 3 4 5

About Safeway

Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's second largest supermarket chain after Kroger Co., with, as – Read more

Safeway Salaries