Safeway Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,914 reviews matching the search
good money and the work wasn't too bad but a terrible company to work for.
cottage cheese production (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 5, 2016
I worked in the Safeway milk plant for 9 years and it was good at times but mostly bad. The pay and benefits are good and that is the carrot they dangle in front of you to keep working there. The sole reason i was fired was due to unsafe working conditions at which i injured my back and had a very expensive surgery and was out for 6-8 months. Safeway was also required to redo the entire cottage cheese room specifically because of my injury. All in all a terrible place for a carrer job.
Pros
good pay an benefits
Cons
extremely terrible mangement i worked for 12 different supervisors in a plant that only staffs 3.
Strong ethics, hard work, and regulated.
All Purpose Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 26, 2016
A typical day at work is total labor, cooking, cleaning, sales, helping customers, breaking down loads, sales, and pricing. I have learned pricing, how to order, how to train individuals. Most of my co-workers are pleasant, and friendly. The hardest part of the job is breaking down the loads. I love helping the customers find the products they need and being friendly to them.
Pros
Can get good sales, and sometimes discounts.
Cons
It is total labor, and the benefits are not that great.
Enjoyable place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Quartz Hill, CAJune 8, 2016
My typically day at Vons starts out as any other day like for example I will clock in and then I will proceed to doing my sweeps and carts. I've learned to be efficient and quick . Management team is excellent. My co-workers are kind and sweet. Being a courtesy clerk nothing is to hard it is that you have to be on top of everything. The most enjoyable part is just me being able to get up everyday and go to work.
Pros
I Like how Vons is a neat and clean store and excellent customer servcie
Cons
There is nothing really that i dislike about vons
Productive and outgoing workplace.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Dimas, CAJune 5, 2016
Co-workers and management was great and always great at what they were doing. At work i handled carts, helped customers with questions or groceries, replaced trash, cleaned restrooms, bagged, and did my daily sweeps. Hardest part in beginning was the carts in the parking lot it was work that needed to be quick but i managed to learn overtime. Most enjoyable part of my job was the friendly customers and workers everyone was always happy.
Pros
Benifits, positive people, green uniforms
Cons
During the day there were times when we got busy.
Fast pace work environment
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Severna Park, MDJune 22, 2016
Typical day at work goes by quick because you remain busy. There is always something to do. You never have time to just sit/stand around.
I've learned to keep calm when under pressure as well as when given large amounts of responsibility.
Management expect you to get everything on your list done by the end of the night, which is not impossible. At the same time they bark additional orders at you which makes it harder to compete your assigned list.
Co-workers don't take job seriously. Most of them don't care about the customers, they just care about getting paid. They are constantly firing and hiring people.
Pros
Employee discount 15% off
Cons
short breaks, benefits after 18 months, short notice schedule
Not worth a job
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cupertino, CAJune 7, 2016
Worked for Safeway. Was in the company for years and through all those years I was employed I seen a variety of workers quiet get discriminated or if not it was just retaliation. Its so sad how their management is. I see these company like a discrimination place.I didn't get fired I volunteered to quit it was just so much non-sense. Theirs better jobs then Safeway instead they should call it "slaveway". If your ready to get mistreated and have a lot of stress then be my guest and apply. Wouldn't recommended it.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Negative managment
much diversity of people since I floated to other stores
Seafood Counter Sales (Former Employee) –  Redondo, WAMay 22, 2016
I was a floater for seafood dept at safeway in south king county. very structured job you always set the case the same way to safeway specs/secret shoppers were very important and for every "10" you received on a secret shopper report there was some type of gift whether a gift card or free coffee... I was the only seafood clerk to receive the presidents award for the most "10's". Big luncheon with the district manager at Muckleshoot casino
Pros
variety of seafood departments to work in
Cons
I wasn't able to be creative in setting the case/also not to much fresh exotics and salmon
Hair Store
Florist (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDMay 31, 2016
A typical day for me at work would watering plants , putting helium in balloons and making shore my work place was clean. I learned a lot about plants and flowers how to care of them and etc. My manger was very nice and always wanted to make shore I understood everything and always show me new things. Working on the floral department was just me alone most nut throughout the whole Safeway all the co workers were very nice .The hardest part of the job was making shore all 300 planets and flowers were watered. The enjoyable part was meeting new people and making the prom flower bouquets.
Pros
Learing about different flowers and plant
Cons
Finding dead plants and flowers and throwing them away
Cool place for my fist job
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAJune 1, 2016
The store was fine, my typical day of work consisted of bagging for customers and helping them to there cars while also gathering carts and putting away go backs. I dint learn a whole lot there because the management was very "peculiar" of who they let move up the ladder so to speak. My co-workers were very friendly for the most part, but a lot of them try and pry into peoples personal lives in between customer. the hardest part of the job had to have been getting carts in the blistering summer heat. the most enjoyable part was definitely being able to provide customer service to the customers.
Pros
free fruit in the breakroom
Cons
acted like employees were interchangeable
Good place to work.
Accounting Clerk IV (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 2, 2016
This was a wonderful experience and I learned a lot in the accounting department I was in. Lots of excellent employees throughout the organization always willing to help. Typical day-answering calls, making accounting adjustments, running reports. Hardest part of the job was the workload. Most enjoyable was the flexibility and responsibility.
Pros
Good pay and benefits. job security, co-workers, facilities, location
Cons
Very large organization, recently merged
Great work place but little advancement
Cashier and Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLJune 6, 2016
Its mostly busy during a typical day at safeway.. I learned how to interact with customers when I first became a cashier. After two years at safeway i was promoted to starbucks when they finished the remodel and i was eager to learn how to adapt to that change. The new management team was okay, and i enjoyed working with the new baristas. The hardest part of working there was knowing there is little advancement and seeing its time to search for something geat than a retail store.The most enjoyable part was serving each customer with a smile and great hospitality.
Pros
great managment
Cons
little advancement
Productive curious intelligent individual
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAJune 23, 2016
A typical day at work for me goes pretty productive. I usually walk in say my Hi's to everyone and go about my day. I never let personal feelings or personal problems get in the way of work. Managers often were on me heavy, but i handle pressure very well. The most enjoyable part of my job was having good personality wise people around me. My co workers were very outgoing. The hardest part of my job was getting everything done quickly due to the circumstances. I learned how to be a better leader and control.
Pros
Lunch break times
Cons
Distance
Productive job with always something to work on.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CAJune 24, 2016
Normal shifts would be between four hours and eight hours of customer service and cleaning of the store. Responsibilities included bagging groceries for customers as well as taking care of trash and helping other departments that needed help.

Most enjoyable part of the job for myself was the people that I worked with. They were the fun part of the job which was the reason I enjoyed going to work.

Hardest part of the job was probably dealing with tough customers that wouldn't let you resolve the problems because they thought they knew best.
hard working. Learned most departments. No Mng problems. co-workers positive attitude Working the night crew store 24/7 little dangerous..working hard
Journeyman Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Belmont, CAMay 19, 2016
I enjoyed every aspect working at Safeway. The most challenging and exciting part of working in the Retail industry was troubleshooting problem departments and finding the issue to make the environment a positive place to be not only for the employees but customers as well.
Pros
working with hardworking and loyal coworkers.
Cons
Poor communication at times.
Fun work environment
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COJune 1, 2016
Safeway was my first job other than babysitiing. We were busy all day long but it made the day go by fast. I worked in different parts of the store which I loved because it gave me experience. Management was very direct and knew how to make you feel like your doing a great job. They were very open about everything. My co workers were all older than me so it was kind of easy fitting in seeing as they wanted me to be successful at my job. The hardest part of my job was working late nights. I was still in school and sports so I was usually exhausted by the time I arrived at work. I excelled in everything I did at Safeway which made it the best work experience for me.
Pros
great hours and pay
Cons
Pushing carts in the winter
The pay sounds good but the unprofessionalism of the workers under 40 years of age is an embarrassment.
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAJune 22, 2016
Most unprofessional place I have ever worked.
Gang like mentality of the employees
Leads and Supervisors display nepotism to the extreme
Co worker harassment to extreme with Leads and Supervisors turning blind eye.
Procedures and Training from Leads and Supervisors can change per Lead or Supervisor so it makes it almost impossible to correctly learn the procedures. Important information on procedures left out of training. One lead will yell at you for not doing the procedure their way, and will do the same for not doing procedure their way.
Pros
decent money
Cons
not enough money to work at a place where the Thug life rules.
Courtesy Clerk
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, IDMay 23, 2016
As a courtesy clerk, I bagged groceries, help customers with these bags to their cars, price checked items for customers, assisted cashiers with customer request and performed many tasked asked by the store manager.
Courtesy clerk also returned items to store shelves, needed to know the locations of all store items, keep floors clean, restrooms in good order and returned shopping carts to store front.
As a full time student, my store managers worked with my schedule and always asked me to fill in for other clerks needing time off.
I was reliable, well groomed and ready to work every time I was on the schedule.
Our store closed, and I lost my job.
I really like working for Safeway.
Pros
Very active job.
Cons
None, our store closed
it was a learning experiance, but the system had flaws.
Helper Clerk (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 14, 2016
Typical work days tended to be hard do to either a lack of employees or unexpected issues that would arise and slight changes in work schedule. The store I worked at had problems with getting hours for the positions that needed and it also had trouble finding reliable workers for some positions.
Pros
consistant with days off request, friendly staff
Cons
not enough staff at times, not very good hours and issues with non-hard working employees
An Enjoyable Work Experience
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAMay 27, 2016
A day working as a courtesy clerk at Safeway would usually start with helping customers bag their groceries. If it was really busy i would be outside collecting carts to return to the front of the store. If the day was a bit slow I would do a sweep log, which is walking around the store, making sure it was clean to ensure the safety and satisfaction of customers. I learned how to speak to customers very well and quickly problem solve. My co-workers and management are always very helpful when ever I have a question or need help assisting a customer. The hardest part about working at Safeway would have been memorizing items and what aisle they were in. The most enjoyable part is meeting and speaking to customers.
Crabs in a bucket
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gambrills, MDMay 13, 2016
The average day consisted of me getting yelled at by the manager for not doing the work that she assured me the previous day that she did and then she would leave cleaning up the kitchen mess from the earlier shift. A majority of my time there was only me and the Manager as seafood staff. While working there I learned a lot about about the differences in various seafood. The hardest part of my job was constantly having my hours threatened by my department manager for doing what my district manager would tell me to do. The most enjoyable part of the job was going to the deep freezer to get seafood.
Pros
It paid
Cons
Short breaks, spiteful coworkers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.