Safeway Employee Reviews

Found 4,810 reviews matching the search
overall good company
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 20, 2017
I worked at Safeway for two years, safeway is an overall good company. Although the management at my former store was never stable (always someone leaving and getting a new manager) and there isn't a lot of room for advancement.
Pros
benefits, good work enviorment, flexible
Cons
iffy management
Fast-paced but productive and easy to learn
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99507January 20, 2017
If this is your first job it can be overwhelming but its easy to learn on the job. regular 8 hour shifts and will have to get use to being around hot appliances and sharp tools. Besides some unruly customers the job is pretty easy to get the hang of.
Pros
surrounded by food
Cons
food isnt free for workers
Great Starting Job but not much room for advanment
Courtesy Clerk and Product Stock Management (Former Employee) –  Omak, WAJanuary 19, 2017
It is a great job but the work environment is sometimes hostile. Management not cooperative or willing to recommend any past employees.
Very fast paced work environment, but ensured safety.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 19, 2017
Safeway is very good about keeping the store clean, and safe for everyone. There are weekly safety tips for all the employees that our safety committee members provide for us. We even have safety observations that everyone is required to fill out to ensure safety for all employees. Besides that, it is a very fast paced work environment, especially in the deli, where I work. I work as a closer so you have to know how to multitask because it's a lot to get done at night, in a short period of time. Everything is usually supposed to get done in about 2 and a half to 3 hours, and it does get you pretty messy sometimes. Management for the store and the departments is very good, they usually try to work with your own schedule to the best of their abilities, whether it's a school schedule or doctors appointments and all of that jazz.
Pros
Fun people to work with, mostly everyone gets along
Great employees and flexible hours
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORJanuary 19, 2017
Everywhere you walked there was a friendly face or somebody to greet you. Scheduling was great do to major flexibility for hours.
What i enjoyed most about the job was that I could learn something very quickly and be left to my work for the remainder of the day in quiet.
It was a nice job for me at the time.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 18, 2017
A typical day for me started out rather uneventful cleaning up the outside of the store, making sure all the carts were in their stalls for new customers, occasionally bagging a customers groceries. Unless I was in the Deli then there were salads to put out meats and cheeses to slice, hot foods to cook and making sandwiches.

I learned a lot about the products I was selling especially the deli foods. Managements was okay in my particular store. My co-workers seemed to love where we all worked and we even spent some time outside work getting to know each other.

The hardest part of my job was closing by myself. Having to clean and be clocked out at the same time while having to serve customers was tricky for me.

The most enjoyable part of my job was helping customers experience new things.
Pros
Free samples in the Deli because you needed to know what something tastes like to sell it.
Cons
Health Care availability for Part-time assoicates
its safeway
Ca - Baker/Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAJanuary 18, 2017
your always working its a high production place. if you like baking and being with a brunch of cool people. the only thing that sucks is the hour if you dont care about working ovenight.
Horrible work place
Assistant Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJanuary 18, 2017
My experience it's Safeway was ok at first was an amazing job I loved to do, but once the company was sold to " Albertsons And Sons " my management team stopped caring for the customers and our reviews on yelp went down the drain. Also I was in college when I first started Safeway, but they refused to work with me on my school schedule and scheduled me at all times. Even though I would always help them when I could.
Pros
Union, good benefits
Cons
Always changing schedule, bad store management, gossipy work place, very dirty
Friendly workplace with helpful coworkers
Starbucks Barista (Current Job) (Former Employee) –  Orting, WAJanuary 18, 2017
Safeway was a great second job. I loved being a barista and my coworkers were nice and always helpful. I recommend shopping at your local Safeway
Pros
free drinks and lunches
Cons
management lacked
Great Place to work
Checker (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORJanuary 18, 2017
I worked at Safeway for almost 2 years and I loved it. It was like I was working with family. I loved all the people I worked with and loved the customers.
Coffee
Starbucks Coffee Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CA 93309January 17, 2017
Its a very enjoyable job with people who care. My co-workers are amazing and the customer service is outstanding. I learned how to communicate with people.
Great company to work for
Bookkeeping (Former Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZJanuary 17, 2017
I liked working for Safeway, it was and is still a great company. They are fair with associates, had great insurance, and profit sharing. The associates well educated on products, and able to sample anything.
Pros
Great people, good pay
Cons
Back up wanted head bookkeeping, the head wasn't going anywhere.
like to work with people
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 17, 2017
I never work here before this is my frist time work here and it sounds good to work there and meet new people.and I want to give it a try
Pros
luch
Cons
very enjoyable to help and server people
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Puyallup, WAJanuary 17, 2017
very fast pace hard work .I learned its very important to keep the person happy and satisfied as they leave.making sure you the right amount of time to keep your custermers happy.when a simple smile and thank you make someones day alittle brighter
Pros
10%percent off shopping gratifieying
Fast paced customer service.
Asst Manager/Night Stocking (Former Employee) –  Fair Oaks, CAJanuary 17, 2017
Working closely with team members, we tried to provide customer service at the highest level while working quickly and efficiently.
Good company to work for.
Produce Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORJanuary 17, 2017
I was lucky to have worked with such an awesome group of people. Our store associates were a team and for the most part fun to work with. Management assisted, and mentored me through the learning times.
Pros
Job security, once your in and do well your locked in!
Cons
Hours available
A great place to start out in the world
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJanuary 17, 2017
Every other day, there is always something to do. No matter how slow it gets at the store. Pushing in carts, changing the Trash, cleaning the Front End, and such. Sweep log, which is where you walk around the store, and check off a list of what is cleaned and what needs attention.

I learned alot. Some things I never knew that goes on in the store. I learned how to clean more, and how hard everyone works.

Management does pretty well. They help out the customer the best they can. They are Friendly and are willing to work out any problems.

Co-Workers are all Friends here. They help out just as much, and do a good job

The hardest part about this job really is trying to keeping up when things are busy. Also keeping warm during those cold nights bringing in carts

The most enjoyable part of this job is knowing that you helped out as much as you can, and make every customer happy.
Pros
Easy job, pays well, you learn viable skills
Cons
good place to start off for an after school job
Fuel Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 16, 2017
safeway isn't like any other grocery store. Working here requires a minimum of good people skills and the will to work with others. If you don't have any of those you can still work here but it won't be as fun
Fun
Baker (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJanuary 16, 2017
It was a great experience, I enjoyed working there. The whole staff was sincere and made the work environment enjoyable.
Wonderful place
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJanuary 16, 2017
This is really the best job for decorating cakes and just having fun on the job. Really great staff. And great management . This company really took well care of its employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.