Safeway Employee Reviews

Found 4,162 reviews matching the search
Stressful and not exciting place to work
Deli Clerk and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WASeptember 28, 2016
A typical day at work would be going in making food, helping customer, the manager expecting to do everything when they know they can help a little and they clean for about 2 hours after the shift with just 2 people.
Great workplace and learning experience.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sidney, NESeptember 27, 2016
Safe was my first job while I was still in highschool and they did a great job of working around my school schedule. I learned the ways of superior customer service while working there. Safeway was a great place to work and the colleagues there were even better, even while management was having issues.
Fun Place to work, easy-going, busy
Food Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 27, 2016
Being employed in Safeway is a great way to experience in having to learn in a fast pace and also to become flexible with your work schedule due ro the store hours being very busy. Overall working in this company it provides you benefits and a awesome way of interacting with customers and as well as making new friends.
Pros
Store discounts
Cons
Health care, management
cahsier at safeway
Cashier, customer service (Former Employee) –  Annandale, VASeptember 27, 2016
over all an Okay place to work work schedule difficult at times the company is very family oriented and hard working coworkers were very friendly and helpful there were always holiday parties for employees
Pros
great pay for just starting out
Cons
either to many or to little hours
FAst paced and physical
Selector/ Union Steward/ Inventory Control (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 26, 2016
Good place to start and acquire skills. With a union backing up the work force you can guarantee in having an honest workplace.
Cons
Lack of ability to grow with company
Great company to work for
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 26, 2016
I would never leave this company because they treat their employee great I am just relocating back to California. I am extremely sad because at Safeway I felt wanted as an employee
Pros
Manager are great
Cons
Corporate office was in Deervalley
Safeway is a great company to work for
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Coolidge, AZSeptember 24, 2016
Safeway is a great work place management was poor but overall it was a great job i wanted to be a manager one day but they didn't wanna give me a raise so i had to leave because i had a family to tale care of.
Cons
Lack of managment
good first time job
Bakery Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Longview, WASeptember 24, 2016
good fisrt time job experience if needed. they have many positions open and very good customer service experiences. you could make safeway a career job instead of get by job.
Unorganized
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CASeptember 23, 2016
Typical day at work, clock in check what time to do sweeps. Bag groceries, then do sweeps and clean the rest room, then push carts then do a 2nd sweep. You don't get to talk to co workers. What i learned is that no one cares about you and you are on your own. Co workers mind there own business. The hardest part of the job is pushing carts and having to do carry outs and help customers push their heavy carts to their car. The enjoyable part of the job is just sweeping and walking around the store. But overall its not enough money to make a living. So i suggest anyone who is going to do this job. Make sure you are physically fit and if you are going to school its a good job cause its part time.
Pros
Cons
No training, no health benefits until probation, pushing carts in any weather
Slowly increasing hellscape, but progressive coverage
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 23, 2016
The bright side is that when I was accidentally outed as LGBTA in a very conservative area, the corporate policy meant the management couldn't fire me as I wasn't doing anything negative towards my job.

However, the payscale for pharmacy technicians was awful; the union was using filing clerk wages rather than normal pharmacy technician wages.

And then corporate decided that there occasionally being slow periods when we were completely caught up on work and would have occasional minutes of downtime was UNACCEPTABLE.

Our hours were slashed with positions cut so that we were intentionally understaffed; those still on were often called on to work unnanounced overtime shifts/extra shifts just to try to keep up with work. I was sometimes working 60+ hours a week. The union rules didn't include altering break structure for that kind of overtime, so I had one half-hour lunch early in the day and nothing else.

Everyone was tired, strung out, stressed, not getting enough sleep or food, and generally miserable, and as tends to happen in situations like that, we were stuck with either our workflow slowing to a crawl or our error rates rising.

And error rates rising is not something you can allow in PHARMACY where mistakes can mean dead patients, jail time, and 30,000$ fines.

We had a corporate visit just before I quit and we brought to their attention the concerns of our growing inability to do our job safely for the patients.

The corporate representative explained that corporate had decided that occasional downtime was unacceptable, and that we were "more
  more... efficent" if we were understaffed and continually in panick mode with more work than we could handle.

Also one of our senior technicians and the union rep was frequently abusive, used her position to interfere with the benefits of others at the shop, would interfere with and hinder the work of others, and engaged in vandalism towards those she "disapproved of" in the secure back room.

I still will not darken the door of a Safeway as a customer, much less ever consider working there again.
Pros
half hour lunch, comprehensive corporate non-discrimination
Cons
inappropriate pay scales, very little break time, toxic corporate policies

Want to know more about Safeway?

Ask a question
productive and fun work place
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 23, 2016
I have learned that the job is not only about your team, but to keep the customer coming back and saying "I shop from here".
Good exp
Meat deli (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 22, 2016
Good people good food strong work ethic I cut the meats and enjoyed working there even though it was hard. They treated me like family
unorganized
Cashier/ Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDSeptember 22, 2016
Could be a good company if they paid more.. they need more management and a little more training to certain employees. They are too laid back, cleaning
good place to work and move up in the company
Fuel Station Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WASeptember 21, 2016
ordering product for the fuel station, using a telxon to scan items, inventory. Good co-workers to work with. Wrote schedules for fuel team, driving to get fuel prices from competitors and send them to corporate. Trained new employees.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
employees leaving
its a job
Produce Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CASeptember 21, 2016
not an absolutely horrible job. Benefits get cut every other year due to weak union . most people that work there are miserable. Only guaranteed 24 hours a week . Takes at least 5 years minimum to get to top wages unless you're lucky. Could be improved by improving management and reforming corporate structure . If you're lucky you have a good management team and makes your job much better. I was never lucky there constant hour fluctuation , constant whining from management about little things and often mood swings or various corporate persons coming in and nagging about little things and you drop everything you're doing to do whatever they say then go back to whatever management whines about then back to your job . Would only recommend as temporary or side job for most persons. scheduling varies each week never constant hours or days off . generally no room for advancement
Pros
... potentially flexible schedule best for younger persons (students ect)
Cons
poor management and corporate, scheduling is worst i've ever had
Shameful
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CASeptember 20, 2016
Depending on the department you work in things vary widely as to overall employee happiness. In my expeirnce, management is poor at lower levels, only the popular are promoted-not by merit; salary at lower levels is obismal, and communication is poor. If you are lucky enough to have a competent manager who does not micromanage, feel blessed.
Pros
Cafe on site
Cons
Long days, understaffed, overworked
Great company to work for
GM Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 20, 2016
The best part of my job is without a doubt the people that I work with. Everyone is always ready to help and encourage one another. That has definitely helped me become a more confident person.
Safeway
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 20, 2016
I thought that working at Safeway was a very rewarding and interesting experience that showed me how to properly help people
Pros
helping customers
Cons
NA
It was a great place to work. The management were wonderful people who understood your avalibilty.
Receiving clerk (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 20, 2016
Bob's Burger Express was a wonderful company to work for. You got life skills from working there. they always promoted people who were highly motivated and great at customer service. I enjoyed working there for years. co-workers were wonderful.I enjoyed all aspects of my job.
Pros
you got 50% off your meals while you work and they would take it out of your pay check.
Cons
No real good health care benefits.
Specific Safeway- not a very good experience
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Estes Park, COSeptember 18, 2016
Staff was often condescending and rude in my department. I always felt very rushed and underappreciated there. Since I was the youngest worker, I was often taken advantage of. Other staff members would push their responsibilities onto me, simply because they knew they could get away with it. However, my manager was a very nice person, and did well at his job. Work there was stressful and it often made me feel like not going back the next day, although I always did. Everyone in Estes Park hates that Safeway. There is always a lack of product, and plenty of customers complaining about it. Customers don't always understand that it's not personally your fault for not having what they're looking for, but the produce manager's. So the staff was often mistreated due to that fact. My leaving was however, not my choice. I might've stayed had the situation differed. I definitely would've said something to the manager had I had been there longer.
Pros
Being able to buy lunch at work. Interacting with customers.
Cons
Being taken advantage of, rude employees, customer complaints about the rude staff and lack of produce.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.