Safeway Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,831 reviews matching the search
An Enjoyable Work Experience
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAMay 27, 2016
A day working as a courtesy clerk at Safeway would usually start with helping customers bag their groceries. If it was really busy i would be outside collecting carts to return to the front of the store. If the day was a bit slow I would do a sweep log, which is walking around the store, making sure it was clean to ensure the safety and satisfaction of customers. I learned how to speak to customers very well and quickly problem solve. My co-workers and management are always very helpful when ever I have a question or need help assisting a customer. The hardest part about working at Safeway would have been memorizing items and what aisle they were in. The most enjoyable part is meeting and speaking to customers.
A great experience
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVMay 27, 2016
Safeway was a great first job for me. Everyone I worked was amazing and extremely helpful in my growth as a human being. The job wasn't hard, simple yet fun.
Seniority causes favoritism.
GENERAL CLERK, RETAIL (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZMay 26, 2016
The place feels almost corrupted. Those with seniority run the company. Understandable until they start treating those that haven't worked that long like slaves.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Minimum wage even for department assistant managers, 10min breaks.
Amazing customers, love what i do, that's all ì have to say. .
Store Administrator (Current Employee) –  Ogallala, NEMay 26, 2016
Saw way too much turn over since I've been there. There are a couple corporate employees I think do a great job but I feel that their hands are tied but know the issue :) ..But again I do love what I do . I leave the rest to God.
Strong ethics, hard work, and regulated.
All Purpose Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 26, 2016
A typical day at work is total labor, cooking, cleaning, sales, helping customers, breaking down loads, sales, and pricing. I have learned pricing, how to order, how to train individuals. Most of my co-workers are pleasant, and friendly. The hardest part of the job is breaking down the loads. I love helping the customers find the products they need and being friendly to them.
Pros
Can get good sales, and sometimes discounts.
Cons
It is total labor, and the benefits are not that great.
Stocker/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  La Grande, ORMay 25, 2016
Great work environment.great place to start building a career and loads of benefits. skill wise there are great area's that can improve while working there cashier,stocking products and great customer service.
Pros
hr lunch
Cons
short breaks
Safeway review
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 25, 2016
Everyday at work I make sandwiches to put out for sell (production). Through out the day I have to make sure the deli is clean at all times. Keep the store clean includes taking out the trash, sweeping the floor, washing dish, and making sure the deli and hot case is clean. I also serve the customer self serviced sandwiches and meat/salads.
unpleasant work experience
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAMay 25, 2016
If you are part time & in school, you are picked on for being one of the youngest workers. you'll receive back to back tasks with no breaks in between.
Cons
no breaks
Okay first job for a high school student
Part time Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chesterbrook, VAMay 25, 2016
Duties mostly involved the cleaning of the store and helping people at the checkout line and retrieving shopping carts from the parking lot.
Warehouse Person (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALMay 24, 2016
Safeway was a good place to work. I was there for over 30 years. My co-workers were nice to work with. Benefits were great.
Good workplace great coworkers
Cashier/Daystock (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 24, 2016
Management was okay would not work with hours but excellent leaders. Coworkers were excellent and fun to work with. Hours were terrible.
Great co-workers and customers make a long day enjoyable.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMay 23, 2016
Overall it was a great experience but the management wasn't great. My co-workers and the customers were very wonderful making it an enjoyable time. I normally worked late hours not getting out tell 10 or 11 at night.
Pros
Discounts, meet new people, get food made quicker
Cons
Management wasn't great, short break, long days
Courtesy Clerk
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, IDMay 23, 2016
As a courtesy clerk, I bagged groceries, help customers with these bags to their cars, price checked items for customers, assisted cashiers with customer request and performed many tasked asked by the store manager.
Courtesy clerk also returned items to store shelves, needed to know the locations of all store items, keep floors clean, restrooms in good order and returned shopping carts to store front.
As a full time student, my store managers worked with my schedule and always asked me to fill in for other clerks needing time off.
I was reliable, well groomed and ready to work every time I was on the schedule.
Our store closed, and I lost my job.
I really like working for Safeway.
Pros
Very active job.
Cons
None, our store closed
Great floral experience
Courtesy Clerk/Floral Clerk (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAMay 23, 2016
Enjoyed my time working in the floral department, interacting with customers on a daily basis. I have learned so much working in the floral department when it comes to time management, organization skills, and customer service.
Awesome experience
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  La Mesa, CA 91942May 23, 2016
I am very glad i had the opportunity to be a part of the wonderful company. I had alot of fun working in the deli, met a whole bunch of w
a day at work
Baker Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2016
Come in at 1am prepare donuts to be fried, get muffins,danishes ect for breakfast case each morning by 5 than get few items out like cookies, bread ect each day fresh.
not my most favorite job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAMay 23, 2016
Waited on customers in a very small Kiosk... management was never around. Worked alone.. Hardest part was sticking gas tanks and having to bring stuff down from the store to put in the kiosk.
much diversity of people since I floated to other stores
Seafood Counter Sales (Former Employee) –  Redondo, WAMay 22, 2016
I was a floater for seafood dept at safeway in south king county. very structured job you always set the case the same way to safeway specs/secret shoppers were very important and for every "10" you received on a secret shopper report there was some type of gift whether a gift card or free coffee... I was the only seafood clerk to receive the presidents award for the most "10's". Big luncheon with the district manager at Muckleshoot casino
Pros
variety of seafood departments to work in
Cons
I wasn't able to be creative in setting the case/also not to much fresh exotics and salmon
I enjoyed the Customers
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 21, 2016
The only thing I liked about Vons was the customers I provided my services to. The store manager and the assistant manager didn't provide the services I needed to work there. The store manager and the assistant manager I no longer there at Vons, but that is okay I loved working for my customers.
Pros
The Customers
Cons
The Store Manager, Assistant Manager, and one Supervisor
Good job while being in High School
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nogales, AZMay 21, 2016
You can expect to get moved to a department if you present yourself with a good image. I started off as a courtesy clerk but I was then moved to the bakery department to help them close out. Then I was then splitting up time between the Bakery and the Deli Department. You can't expect an increase in pay but you can be given bigger responsibilities which will only help you develop skills.