Safeway Employee Reviews

Found 4,611 reviews matching the search
Poor store management
Customer Service Pharmacy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORDecember 2, 2016
I had a great personal pharmacy manager. The stores themselves have very poor management and do not take care of employees. Poor pay and not so great benefits.
Head Clerk; Managing associates in a timely manor and completed the tasks required from corporate.
Head Clerk (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 2, 2016
Safeway has an amazing culture of employees that work through out the day. I have learned how to use communication skills to my best advantage, becoming a manager at the age of 18 was a great accomplishment I have obtained but the hardest part was having other employee view the same way. I loved being able to guide the courtesy clerks and show them how I obtained the position I was currently in. I very much enjoyed training new employees and show them the right way to complete a job task. Overall Safeway made me the hard worker I am today, there was never a dull moment. I have learned how to handle to store when the power was out! Taught myself to preserve and maintain perishable foods and take frozen foods to the main freezers.
Pros
Money management, the pay was great, my co-workers
Cons
Closing the store everyday, management not helpful, not enough employees
Terrible management
FUEL STATION ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Chico, CADecember 1, 2016
The management was unresponsive, co-workers' morale was always at a constant low, they would forget to pay vacation time consecutively and offer no apology or remorse for having 'forgotten' it.
Pros
solitude
Cons
everything else
Short Staffed makes things stressful
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Concord, CADecember 1, 2016
When I started working things were a little bit hectic, but after a few months things smoothed out after more people got hired.
A fun environment to work in.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 1, 2016
As a produce clerk at Safeway you are responsible for the proper stocking and rotation of merchandise in the produce department. You are responsible for proper inventory control to maximize product freshness and availability.
Productive and fun place to work with benefits.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXDecember 1, 2016
Our team received excellent training and we proved to be economical in our purchasing. We profited each quater with our hard work. My co-managers were a joy to work with every day.
Pros
Paid Training
Cons
No significant employee discounts
Great benefits but always work weekends
Starbucks Clerk (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 1, 2016
I worked for Safeway for 5 years. I was a Courtesy Clerk(bagged groceries), Cake Decorator, Starbucks Barista and Deli Clerk. Union does affect transferring to new departments because they could be under a different contract. You will work weekends and most Holidays but you do get Holiday pay. Your shifts won't be set unless you have seniority which there is a lot of employees who have 20 plus years seniority. Some really great employees but some store managers are conceited and talk down to you. Some store managers are humble and aren't too good to go get carts while the store is busy but that trait I've only seen in 1 store manager out of 6 store managers I've worked for. Don't expect to be a full time employee right away due to Seniority too.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Working weekends, mixed shifts, bad management
Was a very great place to work. Amazing happy people and customers.
Journeyman Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 30, 2016
Such a great place to work. Proud of my job and working there! Top notch training and the quality is excellent in every way.Great people to work with......such positivity and great teams to support each other. Great products and customers! Everyone is awesome all the team leaders train you so well and every day is like you are in a super positive orderly evironment and you look forward to going to work every day.
Pros
EVERYTHING!
Cons
I miss it a little. lol
Every store is different, some are good, most are bad.
Checker (Current Employee) –  King City, ORNovember 30, 2016
I've worked at three different store locations. Two of them were union, and while it was stressful work as a checker, it was rather rewarding when people look forward to seeing you in your lane. At my current store however, a clusterfuck doesn't even begin to describe it. Management is everywhere doing nothing, I've been yelled at more times than I can count in an average day, and if I didn't need the money I'd be out of there faster than you could believe.
Pros
Fun coworkers, left to do your work for the most part
Cons
I've worked here a year and a half and I still don't know what benefits I have
Gas attendant
Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  ‘Ewa Beach, HINovember 30, 2016
Hours are not set in stone and they are part of a union and have to pay fees prior to receiving any benefits. Hours would change weekly without prior authorization. Found it difficult to plan activities and appointments.
Not recommended
Teller/Customer Service/Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Gambrills, MDNovember 30, 2016
When I started with Safeway in 2004, it was still a decent job to get. Safeway was bought out by another company a couple of years ago and things have been on a downslide ever since. The person who used to assist me in my department is only getting 4-8 hours per week now. Sales are down for the 3rd year in a row, so they keep cutting back hours. Safeway only hires on a part-time basis, you must work your way up to full-time. But who can live off a paycheck for only 4 or 8 hours? This is why I don't recommend working there.
Pros
Great health insurance (but it takes 18 months to become eligible)
Cons
Corporate culture, employees not treated as people but numbers.
Good workplace
General Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 29, 2016
Assisted in multiple departments, deli- made sandwiches, bakery- baked items and decorated cakes, customer service- assisted customers with any questions, floral- made arrangements for customers.
fun workplace
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burke, VANovember 29, 2016
safeway was a great entry level job. I loved it and wouldnt change that expirance. I was pushing carts and was able to manage and stock the goods in the store as well.
Great company to make a final career out of
Customer Service Rep/ Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Damascus, ORNovember 29, 2016
I love the great customer service of the employees...I love how the deli is food always fresh i know from being able to work in the deli I love helping and talking to customers
Fast paced environment
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Healdsburg, CANovember 28, 2016
SImple easy job, days went by quick, management was awful. would never work for safeways company again. they expect everyone to share dirty raincoats, never washed, hours randomly get cut back.
Pros
10% discount on groceries, long lunches
Cons
hard work, not enough pay, union dues
Friendly Environment
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Arcadia, CANovember 28, 2016
It is a well-diverse community. It is a good place to work in because the co-workers there are able to provide constructive opinions about your ideas and build your ideas. There is always room for growth.
Advancement
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Placerville, CANovember 28, 2016
This particular store always seems to need to cut hours and there is no available job advancement or transfers permitted.
Pros
Great, happy co workers outside of deli department.
Cons
Not enough hours for rate of pay-absolutely no incentives.
Eh
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA 98115November 28, 2016
Working at safeway is tough. You usually work long shifts on your feet, but if you're lucky you work at a store that isn't always packed with customers and managers scrambling to open more registers. Can be a nice job if your store has it all together. You do get vacation pay though based on how many hours you work
Pros
Union, sometimes potlucks on holidays
Cons
short breaks, no hoilidays off, terrible scheduling, understaffed
Its a good temporary job for young, kids with no work experience
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 27, 2016
They pay minimum wage and work you twice as hard. Schedules change constantly because they want to be the priority job. After three months you will need to pay a hefty union fee. Managers are arrogant and bullies. Team work is non exsistent. Everyone works for themselves while calling it teamwork. The enjoyable part of my job is the customers and the fact that they only let you work 24 hours a week. No employee appreciation
Pros
24 hour work weeks
Cons
Managers
productive
Cashier/Florist (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VANovember 27, 2016
nice store, my coworkers overall were very well mannered, I learned to be more patient with angry customers the hardest part was when customers didn't get their way and you have deal with the attitudes other than that every thing was fine.
Pros
was 2 min away from me
Cons
short breaks