Safeway
2,444 reviews

Safeway Employer Reviews

review was all great
Bookkeeper/Office Manager (Former Employee), Tustin, CAAugust 30, 2014
Pros: working every day
Cons: working every day
In a typical day, I arrive and check the schedule, organize my workload, collect all the money from the registers, enter all required information into the computer, and prepare for the store opening that morning. After that, I make myself available for other tasks such as relabeling prices, stocking shelves, and set up links for discount products. I – more... learned to be organized and productive for the limited time I had to do many things. I work well with other people and get along with everybody. I enjoy a challenge and the teamwork required to get the job done. The hardest part of the job is to get everything done on schedule as there was a lot to get done. The most enjoyable part of the job was the accomplishment of succeeding each day with the things on my schedule. – less
Getting to know and build relationships with customers
Head Clerk (Former Employee), Fort Lupton, COAugust 29, 2014
Pros: people
Cons: no set schedule, days off, full time employment
Cashier, balance out cash drawers, balance and audit vault, relieve breaks and lunches for employees, handle customer/employee issues, run grocery store, help all departments
It was a fun busy job.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Olympia, WAAugust 29, 2014
Pros: sales is always fun.
Cons: hours were not consistant.
The hours were not always consistent. I loved sampling food.
Average minimum wage job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Silverton, ORAugust 28, 2014
Just your average minimum, fresh out of high school job. Help bag groceries, carry them out, clean, do some stocking, round up carts.
Fun place to work, great co-workers
Worker (Former Employee), CorporateAugust 27, 2014
Pros: 8 hours jobs, 1 or 1/2 hours lunch
Cons: no free lunch.
Management at corporate level is always on top of their roll making sure the workers level are being treated fairly and have proper tools to do their job.. Plant management is different, each plant has its own team, some are better than the others.
Terrible company and terrible union
Customer Service Associate and Floral Specialist (Former Employee), Long Reach, MDAugust 27, 2014
The entire front end of the store was fired due to a teenager faking coupons, and the store itself was being closed down. However, they did not warn any of the employees aside from management about the closure.
slaveway
PIC (person in charge) (Former Employee), Tucson, AZAugust 26, 2014
Pros: 10% discount on corporate brands for employees
Cons: poor career path, clickish
No matter what you do, its never enough for this co. Management is discriminatory against older individuals. No hours, benefits not great, poor pay on the new contract.
Grocery
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZAugust 25, 2014
Not enough hours and they didnt compensate much or let you move up as you should
Deli
Customer service (Former Employee), Duvall, WAAugust 25, 2014
I liked working there great place for advancement and the other employees are very nice
very fast paced and productive
Department Manager (Starbucks) (Former Employee), Kensington, MDAugust 25, 2014
a typical work day at value city was a learning experience everyday. i learned how to deal and settle customer disputes in some many different approaches and i always received a stellar review.
nice
Checker/Cashier (Former Employee), Sweet Home, ORAugust 25, 2014
It is a good place to work because the people I worked with were great. The customer were super good no great people to see all the time.
Diverse place to work
Assistant manager (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAAugust 25, 2014
Most diverse place to work. Everyday a fun and stressful sometimes.
Productive and fun place to work
Accounting Clerk IV (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 25, 2014
Pros: co-workers, pot lucks and activities for employees
- Processed daily billings for vendor promotions
- Customer service
- Researched prior years billing
- Fun and enjoyable co-workers, was like a second family
- Enjoyed the company appreciation of employees and pot lucks
Food Safety and Sanitation
Manager, Consumer Protection (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CAAugust 25, 2014
A good Fortune 500 Company. It provides career opportunities in marketing.
uncertain
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee), arlingtonAugust 24, 2014
Pros: long tenure
Cons: uncertain enviroment
Management in uncertain enviroment since buyout. been here since i was 16 learned everything from them
It was an unprofessional work enviroment.
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Merced, CAAugust 24, 2014
a typical day at work was just running 4 different machines and doing other coworkers work. i learned how to run and operate 4 machines. management was unprofessional. my coworkers were people who were rude and unprofessional and were not good with teamwork. the hardest part of the job was the scheduling. it would change like everyday and we were treated – more... like slaves. i didnt enjoy it at all. – less
Friendly atmosphere and engaging workload
Promotion Specialist (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CAAugust 23, 2014
I love what I do. My team supports each other and we all encourage each other to do the best job possible.
Customer Service
Grocery Bagger (Former Employee), Colville, WAAugust 22, 2014
Pros: friendly associates
A great company to work for. I learned to always be friendly and get the job done!
A good work place for our environment
Cake Decorator (Former Employee), Hilo, HIAugust 22, 2014
Pros: lunch break was at least 15 minutes
Cons: no cons
I learned that supervisors can be very manageable. Most enjoyable part of working there was, is that we could go on breaks and talk stories with our co workers from the same department or from different departments. We could get along with each other. Manager is very kind. Hardest part of the job is of how they explained of how hard it is just to make – more... the product(s) in less within 5-10 minutes, but it took me couple days just to get things right. – less
Standard, dull workplace with out-dated policies.
Checker and Starbucks Clerk (Former Employee), Anthem, AZAugust 22, 2014
Pros: various benefits, weekly payment
Cons: you very much feel like a drone, scheduling is awful, benefits take a long time to kick in
As far as places to work are concerned, Safeway probably is about par for the course for your typical large chain grocery store. Many of it's policies might have been progressive fifty years ago, but it seems that little in the way of updating those policies has taken place since then. It is very much a place where one goes, does their work, and then – more... leaves, with very little in the way of workplace solidarity.

I would say that management at my particular store was poor. There were three managers, and as far as I could tell there was the Manager, Assistant Manager, and Assistant Assistant Manager. The only one who I would say visibly performed management duties well was the Assistant Assistant Manager. She was approachable and could be relied upon to deal with situations that arose. The other two felt very much like Pointy-Haired Bosses by comparison.

Most of the people you work with are fine and good, but the style of the workplace really discourages even the mildest of fraternization. As such it tends to reward people who are more self-serving. It would be a far stretch to call it a friendly work environment.

The benefits, if you manage to work there for the rather lengthy requisite time to reap them, are alright. Much of what you have to work with feels very outdated, and there is not a lot of room with which to facilitate growth or improvement. Scheduling problems abound, and the majority of workplace interactions involved fixing those.

In all it's a place to work, and really all it requires is a warm body. For the most part it is probably not that bad, and my experience has to do with a single store. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Safeway

Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's second largest supermarket chain after Kroger Co., with, as – Read more