Safeway Employee Reviews

basic gas station work
Fuel Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WADecember 12, 2017
Pretty straightforward work experience, good management, cashiering, stocking, system maintenance helping customers with fueling when necessary. not especially physically taxing for the most part.
Pros
meet a lot of people, pleasant regulars
Cons
very small walk-in refrigerator, not enough room to move properly in order to meet safety guidelines
help customers
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Centralia, WADecember 12, 2017
Greeting customers and show where the products are and take the time with customers. Get the food ready to prep before hand. Stocking the products and rotating by expiration dates. Check the labels and packages make sure it safely for customers.
Pros
break time good
Cons
no surports to coworker
Productive and fun workplace
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORDecember 12, 2017
A typical day at work is either slow or busy business. I learned customer service, communication skills, computer knowledge and marketing sales. My management was equal and fair towards their fellow employees. The work culture is friendly, safe and clean. The hardest part of the job is running around like a chickens head cut off supervising/maintaining the store and dealing with unsatisfied customers that complained about a situation. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the sun is out and people have a positive attitude plus game days and cheerful holiday spirits too.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Supervisors and Guidelines
Great place
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Medford, ORDecember 12, 2017
A fun place to work at. Other associates are friendly and fun to get along with. Customers are understanding of busy times. Stressful moments at times but as a team it's easy to get through the day
Stressful but with good people around you.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORDecember 12, 2017
The people working there are amazing, not only because of their job but they are genuinely fun and cooperative. Besides that its a regular stressful retail work with lots of surprises and often not enough help available.
Pros
The people working with you
my second family
Deli Clerk/Cook (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 12, 2017
I worked in the Deli and they go by seniority there so I was below so I closed the deli at the beginning, make sandwiches we had a sandwich bar, fried hot food, baked chicken, help customers, slice cold cuts and cheese for customers liking also clean, wash dishes, sweep, mop change fryer oil when needed. make sure the deli displays were updated and full, take orders, make orders. all the women I worked with were all wonderful because I knew nothing about deli or even a store I always done medical field but I wanted to learn something different and was enjoyable. The downer is you can get relocated to another store without giving you much notice, next day your somewhere else. And that's why I left was transfered 4 times
Pros
busy time goes by fast
Cons
not enough hours
Stressful
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Conifer, CODecember 11, 2017
Micromanagement is just a part of another day at work. If you find good co-workers and can get along with them you'll be fine, but most are just crazy, require a boatload of patience to deal with, and aren't professional.
Pros
There is a paycheck, even if it's miniscule
Cons
Where to start...?
Nice place to work
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 11, 2017
Great job security and support from management, good work environment, management positions are demanding and require excellent time management skills for effective work/life balance
A simple job if you really only need income of any amount
Fuel Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Troutdale, ORDecember 11, 2017
The only decent manager was the immediate manager at the fuel station. The store managers and supervisors are all manipulative and will say what you like to hear in order to get results with no intention of keeping their end of any bargain. In the year I worked there after the made a change to union, they had union representatives "lie" in order to make the changes they saw necessary, and did not offer promised compensation and even lied about making such promises.
fun work place
Selector/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CADecember 11, 2017
was a fun fast paced and productive place to work only sometimes the management wouldnt be on the same page. also working at a union job there was alot of differences that needed to be clear
Safeway
COURTESY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Hood River, ORDecember 11, 2017
I worked here for almost two years the people were fun to work with for the most part but it was also pretty stressful sometimes. But overall if you like being busy all the time id recommend Safeway.
you work your butt of but will be used for probation period depending on ethnic.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CADecember 11, 2017
I loved working there but they only use you for the probation period and they go by your ethnicity i never missed a day was never late worked over time and i know i beet the probation period they set me up to fail i was on karts and they called me in to help someone with sweeps so when i clocked in i was two minutes late on sweeps and they terminated me i worked there twice second time was on me.
Pros
10% off food
Cons
short breaks but ok
Productive and a hard work place
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 11, 2017
A typical day I had at work was when we had a big rush at the store and it was less workers. I learned at safeway you have to have patience , but through it all I enjoyed working there .
Do not work here
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 11, 2017
Don't work here, there isn't a lot of benefits, they are not flexible, if they don't like you they just will stop giving you hours until you are forced to leave so that they don't have to pay you unemployment.
Pros
Cons
horrible company
Productive and fun work place.
Cashier / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Albany, ORDecember 11, 2017
Easy to make friends. Very fun and comfortable work place. People are friendly and helpful. Great and easy training program and great advancement opportunitys.
Productive workplace with great work experience.
Deli Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakeside, AZDecember 10, 2017
A typical day at Safeway was full of high paced productivity. Management was very forthcoming and honest. They are also very kind and understanding people. The best thing I learned was to time management and developed excellent work ethics.
Pros
great people and atmosphere
Cons
not great benefits, hard to advance career
An okay workplace
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Mohave, AZDecember 8, 2017
Even though I was part-time and a courtesy clerk, I had been treated poorly by management. Money was stolen from my jacket in my locker and when I made an incident report, my manager didn't believe me and shrugged it off. I was usually pushed around by cashiers. I either would get one 15 minute break that is always late no matter how many hours I work that day or I wouldn't get a break at all because everyone's breaks somehow get "delayed and late" but you see the other managers sitting outside smoking a cigarette every 30 minutes. The only good thing I liked about this job is I managed to become friends with the nicer cashier's and courtesy clerks because they can relate on how I feel, the job pays, most customers are very nice, and my hard work gets recognized by the customers.
Pros
Job pays, can relate to other employees
Cons
Short or no breaks, horrible management, unorganized
Needs to be more organized
Driver and Sale Representative (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORDecember 8, 2017
As a driver, Being on the roads for hours could be stressful; traffic and others causes can make this job really hard to perform. Management does not take in count those situations. Stressful job.
Its a great place to work at times depending on who is management
Overnight Stocker (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CADecember 8, 2017
The work is not hard but some come workers can be lazy which effects the overall team goals. The hardest part of the job is dealing with rude customers and teft from some customers. There is favoritism at the job and it can get to you at times but you just have to keep working hard and hope that gets you far.
Cons
The health care benefits
Hated it
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Castro Valley, CADecember 8, 2017
Very cliquey, managers would pay favorites. Job had a lot of requirements; too much for for not enough pay. It does vary by location, though, and my manager at the time is now gone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.