Safeway Employee Reviews

Found 4,988 reviews matching the search
clean atmosphere, very diverse enviroment, making it very interesting
Truck Driver/Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 23, 2017
A typical day at work is driving truck in the state of Arizona delivering Safeway product to Safeway stores. I get to work with different people. Safeway's equipment is in top shape, making my job easier. Management is very easy to work for as long as you come to work, and do your job. The hardest part of my job at Safeway is driving in northern Arizona in the winter.
Pros
Union benefits, senority
Cons
The grocery business is 24/7. Nights, weekends, and holidays.
its a job
Produce Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CASeptember 21, 2016
not an absolutely horrible job. Benefits get cut every other year due to weak union . most people that work there are miserable. Only guaranteed 24 hours a week . Takes at least 5 years minimum to get to top wages unless you're lucky. Could be improved by improving management and reforming corporate structure . If you're lucky you have a good management team and makes your job much better. I was never lucky there constant hour fluctuation , constant whining from management about little things and often mood swings or various corporate persons coming in and nagging about little things and you drop everything you're doing to do whatever they say then go back to whatever management whines about then back to your job . Would only recommend as temporary or side job for most persons. scheduling varies each week never constant hours or days off . generally no room for advancement
Pros
... potentially flexible schedule best for younger persons (students ect)
Cons
poor management and corporate, scheduling is worst i've ever had
Fun fast paced job with opportunities to grow
Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAFebruary 12, 2017
As a deli manager I managed monthly inventories of stock and supplies, and ordered daily food and supplies for the department. I worked with customers by preparing hot food and sandwiches. I loved interacting with customers and helping provide their needs to their complete satisfaction. I enjoyed working with my team and providing training them to company standards. It was hard at times when lines became long, but was rewarding to set goals and communication to and get my team through busy moments.
Pros
Union, Benefits, Vacations
Overall Good Experience
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 10, 2017
I really enjoyed working for Safeway. The work was rewarding and I learned a great deal. I became a "Fruit Ninja" working with this company! I miss working in the restaurant industry and the interaction of sales, customers, service and fresh, hot food, so it is with regret I leave my team of co-workers. I highly recommend working here
Pros
Benefits, good corporate atmosphere, opportunity to grow
Cons
Unfair scheduling, unprecent/inattentive management
Safeway is looking for long-term employees, but is not willing to provide compensation needed for retention.
Customer Service Manager, person in charge (Former Employee) –  Cle Elum, WA, Bellevue, WASeptember 29, 2016
Safeway provides minimal on-the-job training and uses the 'sink or swim' method quite liberally and has a very high turnover.

Many union contacts are written so that the only way to get a raise is to move up in the company, but department managers are heavily scrutinized and told that their best isn't good enough.
Pros
Healthcare premiums are affordable.
Cons
Management often breaks union rules until confronted or reported.
Good job security
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Whitefish, MTJanuary 10, 2017
Safeway was always busy and kept employees very busy with learning material and store standards. It did seem that they always had more expected of you and were short staffed which made customers wait time longer. They never gave a raise even after two years of full time work and that is ultimately the reason I left. The best part was meeting new people and having good conversation.
Pros
Paid time vacation
Cons
Low wages
life at safeway
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAJanuary 15, 2017
pay is good, benefits not so much, no work life balance at all unless your a manager or director.

this job is not for the average family man, if you are single with no kids then this is ideally for you.
Pros
ok pay.
Cons
raises are anually and they arent to great, working 15 hours a day isnt fun at all and the benifits for supervisors arent good at all.
Antiquated management style. Fear based. Constant negative feedback. Little to no positive feedback.
GROCERY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Cottonwood, AZNovember 25, 2016
Typical work day 9-10 hours. Limited training. Learning is based untrained job tasks being assigned. Corrected after attempting to complete task. Management lacks leadership skills. Recognized in co-workers feedback and their not being inspired to go above and beyond. Difficult as new employee to feel welcome.
Benefits
Cons
Poor work enviornment, safety concerns
Unorganized
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CASeptember 23, 2016
Typical day at work, clock in check what time to do sweeps. Bag groceries, then do sweeps and clean the rest room, then push carts then do a 2nd sweep. You don't get to talk to co workers. What i learned is that no one cares about you and you are on your own. Co workers mind there own business. The hardest part of the job is pushing carts and having to do carry outs and help customers push their heavy carts to their car. The enjoyable part of the job is just sweeping and walking around the store. But overall its not enough money to make a living. So i suggest anyone who is going to do this job. Make sure you are physically fit and if you are going to school its a good job cause its part time.
Pros
Cons
No training, no health benefits until probation, pushing carts in any weather
Wouldn't go back
Bakery Manager (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORJanuary 31, 2017
When i first started it was a good company to wok for, but the company began to change and become more about profits less about employees.
Upper management, did not care even if you had valid reasons for sales being down, they would yell, threaten your job, in-front of your employees and customers.
Pay isn't enough and benefits are minimal.
Cons
Company is not flexible, will not accommodate study or second job.
A good start
Retail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Goodyear, AZAugust 25, 2016
Safeway is an amazing way for high school students or ex-cons get off the ground. Store 1511 is an amazing place to work, everyone is friendly and it's amazing talking to some of the customers that shop here. Management is more on the relaxed side, and they are exceptional at exceeding standards. The hardest part is that you need to be able to multi-task quickly while dealing with customers. They really work with your schedule, but I don't find much use of benefits since everyone is technically part-time here.
Pros
The friendly environment and outstanding coworkers
Cons
Easy to get written up, customers complaints can get you written up for the smallest things, breaks are only 10-15 minutes for 8 hour shifts.
Safeway is a good company and a good place to work with. Good people and environment and have an opportunity to advance or grow your career.
Booth Clerk/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJanuary 6, 2017
Good benefits, good company and a place for career advancement. One of the best employer in town. Good benefits and one of the best company in town.
Pros
Good place, good people.
Cons
My schedule prevented me from working there since my place is in Brentwood .
Productive and very fun
Cut Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sonora, CAFebruary 6, 2017
Even a bad day is a good day. Cutting fruits and veggies non stop is pretty interesting as well as preparing platters. Management was awesome we worked as a team. opening the cut room was a learning experience I learned all the different types of sanitation products used for fruits and veggies. This job was easy if I could do it again I would.
Pros
Good benifit package, 401k
Cons
Long breaks
i got great work experience
Bookkeeper/Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CASeptember 4, 2016
As bookkeeper/ customer service clerk I dealt with all the money matters while balancing out working with customers that needed assistance.

I learned how to be a more efficient employee and how to be a team player.

No matter what job I have I will always do the best that I can, to please and respect them.

My co-workers were mostly all awesome.

Having to miss a lot of family time/events and holidays.

Getting experience in working with people and being able to train others was the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
I had an assured paycheck weekly
Cons
short breaks, no benefits, horrible management, low pay
Hard work long hours and dedication
Store Director (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 22, 2017
It is all about getting your team to work together if you are able to build one or inherit on the quicker you get them to buy into your vision and get the main players in your store on your team the quicker you will succeed but you fail at winning the players over you will lose.
Pros
Great pay, great benefits
Cons
Long hours, political
Poor management
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Salem, OROctober 28, 2016
Often worked only 1 or 2 days a week sometimes while the following week I was scheduled for 5-6 days. It was very inconsistent. Also, pulled a lot of late night shifts and the reason for this was, "You are new." Safeway has a good selection so customers were always pleased which was wonderful. But the hours, scheduling and pay were really not worth it to me.
Pros
Customer interactions, some health benefits
Cons
Long time on feet, poor management, inconsistent scheduling
what i learned
Meat Wrapper Seafood clerk (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKNovember 4, 2016
Working for Safeway was a real learning experience, It was fast pace and taught me a lot about food handling. I learned merchandising skills, how to help customers find items. Iv gained great customer service skills, and learned a great trade that i would like to further my experience in meat wrapping. Everyone i worked with was helpful and it was just a great work environment. I would enjoy working for this company again.
Pros
great benefits, good pay, great environment, great hours
Cons
not enough workers
safeway
Produce Prep Kitchen Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 12, 2016
It's an okay position but after a year of having good attendance, performance and reliability, I've only received one raise and no encouragement of ever being able to move up as they told me while I interviewed. Looking to be with a company I can grow with in my future as well.
Pros
good flexiblitiy and understanding most siutations
Cons
not enough hours, praise, or raises.
Great job but doesn't pay what you deserve.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAOctober 9, 2016
I proved myself and moved up pretty well while working there. My manager was really cool and I do have to give him credit. He tried to get another new supervisor and I the pay we deserved, but corporate wouldn't budge. It also consumed all free time I had because they had a seniority system and the people that worked there longer got what they wanted. The assistant manager did not like hiring students for this reason.
Pros
Some pretty good benefits, great manager, learn valuable skills
Cons
Corporate is Greedy and won't pay living wages, no free time
Good college job that's about it
Courtesy Clerk/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Greeley, CONovember 13, 2016
It's a good job for a high school/college kid. I really like the people, management is a bit up tight and likes to think my life revolves around work. They pay their courtesy clerks pretty badly. One of my co workers gets paid more than me for working the same job that I do. But it's good for getting yourself through college and high school.
Pros
Union benefits, 401k plan, insurance
Cons
unfair pay wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.