Safeway Employee Reviews

Hard working there
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 14, 2018
I would restocked the vegetables and fruits. I also helped a little bit at bakery section with cupcakes and cookies. I decorated cupcakes and cookies. I would put them in trays and sometimes in containers.
Pros
A the bakery section I really enjoyed working there
Cons
Hard at times
The Safest Way
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Marysville, WAFebruary 14, 2018
As a night stocker I didn't see much of day staff, and I can't say a lot about the management or a typical day, but, It was nice being able to work mostly independently and quietly. Job isn't to hard, and as long as you're a good boy/girl, they'll leave you be and let you do your job.
Pros
Long term if you want, and food is always right there
Cons
not a lot of variables, if you get bored of something quickly, repetition here might be your undoing.
an outstanding astablishment
All Purpose Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 14, 2018
there is really nothing bad I could say about this business. I have learned so much from this company and people I have came in contact with threw out my years of working there.
Pros
great people to meet with a awesome management.
Cons
having your hours cut during summer break due to snow birds.
Productive, and enjoyable working for good people.
Courtesy Clerk/Checker/Barista (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORFebruary 14, 2018
Typical day of work consists of dealing with a wide range of people working through the doors and you learn how to work with them properly.
Management is pretty great, hands down.
Pros
10% off Safeway brands, 5% off Name brand items
Cons
Short breaks, short lunch, depending on department
Fun customer service with customers making suggestions for food matches and recipes
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, COFebruary 14, 2018
Very physical job always on your feet moving around and helping serve customers. Cooking food, making sandwiches. Lifting heavy boxes, stocking meats, cheeses, salads, sandwiches.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Hours
Fast paced
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Spearfish, SD 57783February 14, 2018
Most enjoyable part of the job- customers. The area in which I work is quite beautiful and the customers that come to our store are active, fun loving people.

Hardest part of the job- trying to feel accomplished at the end of the day. It can be very difficult to finalize a task by the end of the day in the front end of the store. Our main priority is to give our customers the very best shopping experience possible, however the logistics and necessary duties to successfully run the front end business wise get lost in the day.
Pros
savings for employees
Cons
work/life balance
A Great Company if you can Keep up with the Stress
Person In Charge (PIC) (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAFebruary 14, 2018
Safeway is part of the second largest grocery chain in America, and you can tell because it's busy all the time, even when the store is fully staffed. They do their best to prepare you, and their extensive training program for new hires is one of the best in the industry.
Lines were a serious problem at my store due to budget cuts, and it can be very stressful. Corporate likes to work the full-time management team to death, and scrape together many different part-time checkers/clerks on minimal hours.
I averaged a 60 hour work week at Safeway. As a PIC, you can expect to work until midnight 7 days in a row and then get 1 day off. You may also be asked to come in "on call". If you had any plans or any normal idea of a life outside of work, you can kiss those dreams goodbye.
Upper management is miserable because of the union/non-union gap between levels of management. Be ready for impossible deadlines and a lot of questionable abuse and favoritism. The union is there to help you though, and the benefits are some of the best in the industry.
For me, what stuck out the most was the people. From meat and deli department to my checkers and night crew, everyone you work with is inspirational.
Pros
great training program, easy to advance/loves to promote from within, hour-long lunches, union protection and benefits
Cons
part-timers get minimal hours, full timers get pushed to the limits. a lot of cutbacks since Albertsons took over.
Before Albertson buyout Safeway was led by a smart management team
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HI 96734February 14, 2018
Safeway is a great place to start a career and learn about the retail on the groceries side. Learn about stocking and shelf standards. A little bit of merchandising involved. Inventory control and cash handling.
Pros
Place for advancement
Cons
Poor leadership
Nice place to work
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 13, 2018
nice place to work, really focused on customer service, long days sometimes short of help. otherwise a nice place to work. was sold to Albertsons recently.
Pros
nice place
Cons
long days
nice place to work at
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAFebruary 13, 2018
good people, learn many new things from selecting to sanitation to forklift etc...the job wise is ok not too hard not to easy its bearable..
most enjoyable part is working with fun n hardworking co-workers

Want to know more about Safeway?

Ask a question
Enjoyed time
Intern Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZ 85306February 13, 2018
Good company to work for as an intern. Good at teaching students/interns about what is expected of a retail pharmacist. Good work life balance and working environment.
I loved it!
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAFebruary 12, 2018
I loved my experience at Safeway. I would always smile and help customers find what they need. I wold help clean the store every hour. I loved my job! I am passionate about helping people and I love people!!
Pros
friends and coworkers
Cons
customer complaints
great job
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAFebruary 12, 2018
safeway is a fair and great job with a lot of room for growth. they treat all there employees equal and it is a union job. great pay and good benifits
Very fast paced
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Lake Stevens, WAFebruary 12, 2018
There was never nothing to do. If you weren't doing something, then you weren't doing your job. I loved working with the public. Angry or Nice, I was able to deal with them in a professional manner and never required to retrieve anyone above me. The work place was fun as long as you did what you were supposed to. The hardest part of the job was staying away from gossip of other employees and just minding my own business.
Pros
paid breaks and lunches
Cons
people get hired off the streets in higher positions than yourself
The courtesy clerk has a large variety of duties including customer contact
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Happy Valley, ORFebruary 12, 2018
I learned customer services skills. I really enjoyed working with the customers and during my tenure with Safeway developed friendships with other employees and customers.
Learned maintenance of bottle machines.
This positions has a lot of conflicting priorities. Customers always come first but duties such as restroom maintenance, bottle machine maintenance and spill clean up created conflicts and decisions about which task to complete first since all tasks impact customers.
I was frequently the only courtesy clerk on duty.
Pros
Task are pretty routing
Cons
Competing priorities
Fun place to work advancement and opertunity to grow
Produce Clerk/ cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 12, 2018
Ok place to work fun and fast paced never a dull moment this is a good place fot customer service and working around people also many diffrent things can do
Pros
Get good benifits
Cons
Not full time have to work there long time to get better senority
Safeway
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 12, 2018
I actually enjoyed working for safeway only thing I don't approve of is them firing you or letting you go because you call off dye to a family emergency
Seriously the worst company to work for
GMC (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAFebruary 12, 2018
Everyone who works there for a living hates their job and hate the corporation. The company will do anything to save a few dollars at the employees expense. If you're a younger person who is doing this just as a first job, you will be paid minimum wage and then on top of that you will have to pay union dues to a union who does absolutely nothing for you, so you will essentially be paid under minimum wage.
Pros
You will appreciate any other job after working here
Cons
You will hate yourself
Horrible place to work
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gambrills, MDFebruary 12, 2018
Bad place to work very dirty and nasty the managers are complete jerks terrible scheduling not enough hours not getting paid for the work that is done pay rate is bad
Loved My Time Here
Cashier/Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDFebruary 12, 2018
I loved my time at Safeway. Not a great place to work if you have a family. Work long hours and multiple shifts. The people are great and you can move up the ranks quick if you are motivated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K