Safeway

3.7K reviews

Safeway Employee Reviews

inconsistant goals by all levals of management.
Meat Cutter, Journeyman (Former Employee), Tucson, AZAugust 16, 2015
If everyone had the same goals on how to have great customer service employees would feel better about their jobs. As an employee one gets three different views on how to do your job. One from dept. mgr. One from store manager, and a third from district manager.
mundane
order selector (Current Employee), Auburn, WAAugust 16, 2015
job has good beneifts but lousy management. you are overworked to the brink of exhaustion. the hours are horrible as well as the days off your treated like nothing and you start to feel underapreciated
Safeway.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Livermore, CAAugust 15, 2015
Pros: Union Job
Cons: Random scheduling.
I did not enjoy working at Safeway. I never knew when I was going to be scheduled, it was completely random. the scheduling made it hard for me to balance school, work, and a social life.
The job was ok.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Milpitas, CAAugust 15, 2015
At this job I made sure that all the carts were in the store at the end of my shift. I bagged customers items. I also stocked all items. I did the cash register every now and then. It was an ok jib fir the most part.
great job
Grocery Manager (Former Employee), anaheimAugust 14, 2015
Pros: vacation and sick time
Cons: not really any
came in threw and ordered frozen load and a good repour with management and co-workers. getting massive loads done was vey hard but was good because it kept you busy
Bad Place to work for
Part Time Delicatition (Former Employee), everettAugust 14, 2015
Pros: Poor Company to work for
Cons: Poor leadership
A typical day at work would be to clock in and sign the safety sheet at the customer service center then do a curtosy walk around the store to see if any customers need any help, Helping them with sliced meat and cheese, preparing and organizing salads, cooking, serving customers, ringing them up, cleaning fryers,ovens, dishes, sinks, counters, soup bar, salad bar, mopping sweeping, making sandwiches, taking out trash. Management is bad, they cut hours and expect too much out of 1 person, only 2 people to close a whole deli by a set time and no overtime is allowed. I learned how to manage the back end and front counter of a deli.My co workers were ok, but some of them had bad attitudes and were unwilling to do specific tasks when asked to do so. The hardest part of my job was fulfilling all the assigned tasks in a small amount of time. The most enjoyable part of the job was end of closing when I get to go home for the evening.
very busy store
Checker (Current Employee), Molalla,OrAugust 13, 2015
Pros: a percentage off of groceries
Cons: short breaks
A good place to work,Ive learned a lot from working at Safeway,most people do not understand how a store runs!There are a lot of good employess and some that are not. I just like to do my job the way it is suppose to be done keep quiet and go home!!
very well flexible and organized environment to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Edgewater, MDAugust 12, 2015
A typical day of work at Safeway included a day of determination to always be ready to learn new things. I'd always leave knowing something new I hadn't knew going in. That's what I enjoyed about Safeway. My co-workers were very helpful and respectful and very accountable. The hardest part of my job had to be the constant need of hours or maintaining 40hrs a week because of lack of hours given.
Courtesy Clerk, Meat Department, Cashier (Former Employee), Lincoln CaAugust 12, 2015
It was a good place for me as a young adult to get by, i was underpaid and over worked but it paid the bills. Over all i think safeway did its part as an employer.
Productive and fun place to work at when starting off
Book Keeper/Customer Service (Former Employee), Vallejo, CAAugust 12, 2015
Great co-workers. management was good. Dealing with lot of personalities. very flexible. good benefits. lots of things you can learn to get you up the ladder.
Great working environment
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Turlock, CAAugust 11, 2015
Pros: nice environment
Cons: Management
Friendly workplace which made my day much easier. also had some complaints from customers but as a team myself and my coworkers would take care of the problems professionally.
vons
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Tustin, CAAugust 11, 2015
Pros: great location
Cons: rude customers sometime
Management was nice. Great co workers. Didn't speak to store manager much. Came in and did my job. My first job great experience. Customers were very patient
Customer Service
Customer Service Desk/Video/Floral (Current Employee), Puyallup, WAAugust 11, 2015
I love that Safeway prides itself on customer service. I think of myself as a customer before an employee. I enjoy my co-workers and management staff. The pay compensation is awful for the work you put in. Being Customer Service, you're salary caps out at $11.95 which is no where near an appropriate cost of living can fulfill. I've been there for over 2 years with still no raise.
Category Analyst
Category Analyst (Former Employee), Pleasanton, CAAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Pros: Great people to work with
The Analyst role is often a hybrid role and you are also managing a category within the National Safeway Stores. Your responsibilities as a buyer are to partner with the category captain, understand industry trends, analyze and make decisions for the category.
Very organized department store with excellent store managers
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Santa Rosa, CAAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits
Cons: none
A fast paced environment with great team members. Very neat and clean place to work. Opportunities to grow from within.
First job
Food Clerk (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 11, 2015
This was my first job I worked there for 2+ years, I love this job and have many memiories there. I learned how to professionally deal with hostile situations. I was so eager to learn how everything worked that I was able to train in other departments as well. I learn the importance of creating job loyality after working here.
safeway is a fun place to work and meet lots of people
Food Clerk (Current Employee), Oxon Hill MDAugust 11, 2015
Pros: fair amount of break time allotted
Cons: part timers not in union
I enjoy working at safeway and providing excellent customer service to the general public. I am a people person and I get along well with peers/ co-workers. safeway has afforded me the opportunity to work with people of all cultures and diverse background. The most enjoyable part of my job is being of assistance to anyone and knowing that I have done my job with great satisfaction. The hardest part of my job would be when staff is short and the store is very busy. But in a situation like that I would take that into a positive look and let my co-worker know its time to work together and get the job done in a timely, accurate manner and provide excellent customer service to the public.
Lonely position
A.M. Baker (Former Employee), Roseville, CAAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Early hours allow more personal time during day
Cons: Never worked with others.
Worked 11-pm to 5am before people were in store. No communication or real team work. Left my report of tasks completed in writing, with occasional feedback from management. Fortunately I work well with no supervision. Pay was fair for tasks completed.
It was a position that came with many demands
DISTRICT SECURITY INVESTIGATOR (Former Employee), Lanham, MDAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Interacting with people from all walks of life
Cons: having to go into the back rooms of the stores
I enjoyed working there and working with my co-workers, I learned a lot while there. But this is an experience I prefer not to repeat.
hard working and productive
Deli clerk (Current Employee), Oak Harbor, WAAugust 10, 2015
Safeway/ Haggen is a place that expects you to do as much as you can but customer service is always first priority. You learn and work on you feet, and most of the time you have some training but most is through experience.
Industry