Safeway Employee Reviews

Found 5,302 reviews matching the search
Good place to learn
Manager (Former Employee) –  Seward, AKApril 16, 2017
Minors are able to get a job and gain skills to be employable elsewhere. It is easy to advance within the store if you are motivated and a hard worker. One of the most difficult tasks is dealing with the ever changing moods of the public, while always being courteous. This is a valuable tool to learn, that will be used throughout life.
n/a
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAApril 15, 2017
good company til joined with albertson all i can say all i can say i do not think that good benefits. it is unfair when it comes to Human Resources as they come down go off on you if someone said something even not true
Solid company to work for
Assistant Store Director (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 14, 2017
Expectations and standards are high. Extremely strict labor budgets and union contracts keep management's hands tied. That being said, the job is what you make it and there are lots of opportunities for advancement for those with the drive.
Pros
Fast advancement and competitive pay
Cons
Disconnected corporate management
Fun but can be stressful
Meat wrapper (Former Employee) –  Molalla, ORApril 14, 2017
Clean the meat case while doing markdowns. Put the service meat case in. Run racks of back stock then work out back stock in shelves. Help other departments break down the daily load. Work my portion or the daily load all while helping costumers.
I learned patience, some management skills, team work, how to make signs for the new product, and so much more.
My direct manager was great to work for. He always encourages everyone to learn more.
The hardest part of the job was trying to get the massive amount of work done in your shift.
I enjoyed almost every aspect of my job.
Pros
Had potlucks for major hoidays
Great Benefits.
Sales Associate (Bakery) (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 14, 2017
Safeway is a fast paced environment, the employees are always friendly. Safeway offers competetive pay and great benefitsavailable to those whome are in need.
Pros
Competetive Pay
Cons
Poor Management
Good Place
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDApril 14, 2017
I enjoyed working for Safeway. Management are very understandable and flexible. Although customers are aggressive over coupons. Not alot of room for advancement.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Great Atmosphere
no job security , poor managment
Courtesy clerk (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 14, 2017
the typical work day is stressful, you dont learn much as a courtesy clerk and the management team is unprofessional . the work place culture is relaxed and friendly enough, but also unprofessional and do not take care of customers adequately. the hardest part of the job is being micromanaged by some managers and not given enough help or time to finish long tasks they assigned. when brought to attention, it goes unaddressed, as well as you have no job security. they hire and fire many people within a small time frame, you only have security if you have seniority. the most enjoyable part of the job is the friendships you make with your coworkers.
Pros
free starbucks, friendly coworkers, long breaks
Cons
poor management, unprofessional work environment
A great environment to work in
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Albany, CAApril 13, 2017
a day at work is fun you chat with customer with thier shopping . Have your department in shape for manger to look at the work u accomplish as well get an hour lunch
Pros
Coupons, discount as well free example vacations sick weekly pay pay
Cons
Minimum Wage too low, not good training
Understaffed
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORApril 13, 2017
Safeway was understaffed, the Deli where I worked encouraged not following the food handlers guide due to being understaffed. Manager didn't have good people skills.
Pros
Taught me how to work under pressure.
Cons
Too much work for each person to do.
Typical grocery store experience
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 13, 2017
Nothing in particular is special about Safeway. It's a typical grocery store job filled with people who don't want to be working and where the managers are constantly breathing down your neck about something.
Pros
Nothing too difficult or strenous
Cons
You're working at a grocery store
Safeway
FOOD STOCKER (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 13, 2017
I worked night stalker and I enjoyed my work and the other employees there. I would go back to work for them any time.
Union benefits are great. Would go back.
Worst year of my life.
Customer Service Representative/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAApril 13, 2017
If you want to be underappreciated by both management and customers, look no further than employment with Vons! They want to pay you the bare minimum and give you a ten cent raise every year. Grocery stores use to take care of their employees and use to have amazing contracts with benefits, those days are long gone. Everyone working here looks visibly exhausted and miserable. Every coworker I had was constantly telling me of their financial struggles. On top of all that, this store is in a "nicer" neighborhood which means these pseudo-rich people think they own you and treat workers so disrespectfully. Management took the rich customer's side because they spend a lot of money in the store. Overall a very depressing and frustrating place to work. I became a smoker while working here and quit smoking after I quit this job.
rude supervisor
Stock Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 13, 2017
Good work place...besides the supervisor and manger being best friends. I was removed from this job because the supervisor was highly rude and i for one, don't accept disrespect.
O k enviroment. Not really for me. Member of union i. did like that we had a good union
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAApril 13, 2017
Every day I left my job feeling like I was not finished. It seemed the more we did the more the company cut help. That made it very hard for proper customer service. I would not work there again.
Pros
Good benifets
Cons
Managers that wanted more than you can give
Very Productive
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDApril 13, 2017
Safeway was a really cool place to work i loved it there. I was in the bakery department and loved going to work most days. The pay was every week so that was a plus too.
Development and growth
Grocery Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake, HIApril 12, 2017
I have no complaints. It's good for growth and development. I've learned a lot at work and continue to meet all requirements which can be frustrating. For a big company as it is, the time process and procedures can use adjustments. But through it all, it's my job to for fill my job duties.
Pros
Growth and development
Cons
A lot of micro management
An OK place to work
Helper Clerk (Former Employee) –  Enumclaw, WAApril 12, 2017
Safeway is an alright company to work for. Most of the people there are nice. But I was only being scheduled 6-9 hours a week, which I didn't know was legal.
Pros
Parties
Cons
Low hours
Fun enviroment
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAApril 12, 2017
It was a great first job. Started when I was 16. It was easy to learn each department. I made many friends there. And I also learned a lot on what to look for in my future job from there
Pros
Drawings
Cons
Drama
Company turned downhill after merger
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAApril 12, 2017
Avoid this company - heavy workload due to major layoffs. Technology is out of date and will leave you without skills to take to future employers. It used to be a great company.
Good culture, friendly group of people
Assistant Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORApril 12, 2017
Service huddles are held daily to motivate employees and brainstorm on how to continuously keep customers satisfied. It is a positive uplifting environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.