Safeway Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,832 reviews matching the search
i like working there
driver (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAMay 12, 2016
had great short time would like to work there again one day..haedest part about there was there wonnted me to take brakes during a 4 or 5 wrok day that would make me late to me stops
Productive and safe work enviorment
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAMay 11, 2016
Enjoyable safe productive work environment fulfilling customer expectations. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers and succeeding as a worker. The hardest apart about working at Safeway was ordering the store. Ordering the store was difficult because you had to keep up with sales of the week and order 15 isles of merchandise.
Pros
overnights
Cons
n/a
Overall not a bad place to work or make a career.
Assistant Fresh Cut Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, COMay 11, 2016
Great Starting wage, Management needs some work. Fast paced environment, with friendly co-workers. Great union protection and decent time incremented raises.
much help turnover
bakers assistant (Current Employee) –  Riverton, WYMay 11, 2016
allowed to do the work trained for

wages are minimum and there are many people come and

not enough cross training

too much corporate interference in my mind,
Poor Management
Night Crew back up Manager/ Receiver (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAMay 11, 2016
Management doesn't care about safety of employees, threatens to fire up everyday. Treats us poor, very discriminating, and rude.
Safeway was a great first job!
Customer Service Specialist/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMay 10, 2016
Safeway is a great place to work. Since the store is always busy, your shift flies by and before you know it, its time to go home. The management works well with your availability and they listen to your concerns. I think the hardest part of this job at times would be the amount of people you have to serve by yourself. You don't want the customer you're helping to feel rushed, but you also don't want other customers to wait too long.
great retail store
DELI MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 10, 2016
i enjoyed very much working at safeway. i learned and gained so manyexperience. the best thing i loved about this job was i was able to supervise a great team.
Working at Vons
Courtesty Clerk (Former Employee) –  Agoura Hills, CAMay 10, 2016
It was good and they knew I was a good worker. I never called in sick. They had me sometimes work 4 or 5 days in a row.It was tiring at times. But, ok.
Pros
Friends with the people at work there. The managers were friendly.
Cons
They had me work the most because other people were at school. I had to clean up messes at times.
keeps you down.....
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CAMay 10, 2016
worst management ever....little or no "promised hours" that was promised at signing, and, being lied to at signing about having your Union Initiation Fees being paid for you....never again.
Having to watch a couple of real MORONS tell you how to do things that have been "proven" at their corp store should have been my first warning. worst company EVER !
Pros
a job at the least
Cons
corporate too big for their own pants have LOST TOUCH with the people who made them who they are !
productive and a typical work enviroment
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Marysville, WAMay 10, 2016
clean the store
maintaned carts
bagged groceries
help customers with their questions
assist customer to car with groceries
occasionally faced shelves
Pros
long breaks
Cons
lazy co workers
Not a really fun place to work and people aren't really socialize.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Palmer, AKMay 9, 2016
It was a really nice job when I first started, like all the managers are really nice. I've learned there how to clean and the difference in things and how to sort out things in a store and how to look out for thieves. My co-workers were really nice at first, they were fun to work with but then not really long, they act weird and don't feel like socializing at all. The hardest part was trying to figure out where to put things back in the store and trying to socialize with people because if I start talking with them, some will be okay talking while some don't. The most enjoyable part of the job is packing the groceries and help people out taking their groceries to their cars, especially old people.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Don't have enough time for breaks
Once Albertson took over, moral went dowhill
Financial / Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 9, 2016
Safeway division at one point was an amazing place to work. Once Albertsons took over everyone was replace and the quality of work was not there any longer. Hoping the stores are not affected by it.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
They have no clue how to run a grocery store
A good parttime job for highschool students
Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 9, 2016
Union job, as an shopper for online customers, here I learned to shop, by analyzing the quality of the merchandise before packing it up for shipment. This was at time challenging because shopping was taken care of by someone else in my home.
Development
Delivery Driver/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Las VegasMay 8, 2016
Good place to work but with limited or no growth at all.
There is no Management in the .com area and there is no follow on the training.
Trucks continuously on maintenance

Great customer service experience

Good team work for most drivers
Pros
Overtime hours
Cons
No benefits
Career advancement ???
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 5, 2016
No room for advancing...not even fulltime... scheduling sucks...most enjoyable part...when the shift is over..........................
Productive Busy
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 4, 2016
My typical work day is Busy a constant go often intermingled with local and new customers and demands everyday. I work with a great team and strong leaders.
Pros
An hour lunch every day, paid vacations, Union
Cons
no set schedules every week is new days off and different shifts
Fast past working environment changes daily
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAMay 4, 2016
Customer service while I handled money , I bagged customers groceries , I stocked and maintained a clean working environment . I learned to be patient to all customers , there needs and wants were different for every individual. The management was great friendly they helped with any concerns you had and never had a problem with you coming to them with any concerns. The co workers and I were like family the fact we all worked with each other for so many years.The hardest part of my job was when the hours would would change weekly they were never the same . open to close close to open it was a all over schedule. The most enjoyable part of my job was the customers after time you build a re pore with them and new how they liked certain things done. I love helping others anything to help them leave happy to make them want to come back tomorrow.
Pros
we received an employee discount on everything we bought
Cons
there really was none
Not enough hours giving to work during the week.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDMay 3, 2016
Great place to work really enjoyed helping the Customers also enjoyed meeting a positive team of workers.
Wish there was enough hours giving to employees.
Pros
Meeting people dailey.
Cons
Cleaning up after inconsiderate people.
challenging daily responsibities, great employees and customers
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Northern Virginia areaMay 3, 2016
Daily activities include scheduling and payroll. Interaction with customers and employees. Ordering to maintain customer needs. Spreadsheets for various departments and sales and gains. Bookkeeping. Security monitoring.
I learned many things regarding daily operations of running a store. The employees are hard workers. The hardest part of the job was trying to get as much stuff done in an 8 hour shift / 48 hour week.
I still get phones calls 6 months later asking for my help or advice.
Pros
stimulating, customers interations, good pay at management levels
Cons
scheduling changes that conflicted with family responsibilites
always changing atmosphere
All Purpose Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 2, 2016
Great place to start a job and to learn different aspects of a grocery environment. providing an atmosphere for customers to want to come back and shop and order special items. the constant changing of management and coworkers can get hard to deal with when you adjust to one style and the have to change with no notice.
Pros
learning opportunities
Cons
constant turnover