Safeway Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,826 reviews matching the search
Working at Vons was a joy
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAApril 29, 2016
The two most memorable things about working at vons were the friends i'd made and the things i'd learned during my employment. I was a courtesy clerk which meant that i would bag groceries, assist in location of items when asked and on occasion I would take items back that people decided not to buy (called "go-backs").
I honestly would like to work there again. if they'd let me.
kick start
Helper (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXApril 28, 2016
good company has a lot of benefits and really gives you a kick star to your career if your just beginning they pay for your basic and if you stay with them they will pay for your nccer
Pros
pays for yoyr trainig
Cons
a lot of lay off
Learning Experience
Bakery Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20011April 28, 2016
It was my first official day to day job, So I went in confident and thought I knew it all. As the days went by my flaws started to out weigh my strong work habits, I used to be late 3 times out the week and i'm really not a socialist so my boss was getting on me about that and there were few butt holes inside the bakery so it was an eerie feeling sometimes. But there were good and bad days on the job but
thats how its goes at any other job as well, so make everyday good for yourself by just being on time and limiting your mistakes to a minimum and everything will work at the end of the day.
Pros
Free samples & Income
Cons
Unfriendly
safeway
VONS MEAT CLERK (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 28, 2016
work was decent, a lot of issues with employees and supervisors half fast work and leaving it all for others to do, good customer service, and a clean work envorionemnt
Evaluation
Stocker/cart pusher/janitorial (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDApril 28, 2016
My Evaluation was wonderful. I would love to work for them again. I would easily accept a permanent job with Safeway. Very fortunate for the opportunity and experience.
Pros
Great community, hard work, and atomosphere
Cons
There were none
Fun
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDApril 28, 2016
I learned customer service skills, productive and fun environment.
Management was thoughtful. The most enjoyable part of the job was smelling all of the baked goods.
Pros
discounts
Cons
n/a
Deli Clerk
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CA 94621April 27, 2016
Working at Safeway taught me alot about working as a team, also help me learn how to deal with angry customers in a profeesional manner.
Never ever
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Leadville, COApril 27, 2016
I did not like this job, they did not train me the right way. They are so unprofessional. They did not let me take breaks or go to the bathroom.
not enough room to move up.
Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Coos Bay, ORApril 27, 2016
I have been with Safeway for almost two years. I brought a bunch of experience with me when I started there, and was told that I would move up quickly. With as much experience that I brought to the table I expected to be in a better position than I am now. Safeway has no real plan for me and continues to talk as if they do. I would like to make the move to a company that can put the skills that I bring to the table to use.
Good benefits; Good customers;
Journeyman food clerk (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAApril 27, 2016
I enjoyed going to work every day. I had very good relationships with most of my customers and coworkers. Management changed frequently but I built a good relationship with most.The hardest part of the job was standing for eight hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing people on a regular basis and developing friendships.
Pros
Good benefits;
Cons
short beaks
Deli
Deli CLERK/Cashier (Former Employee) –  King City, CAApril 27, 2016
Provide excellent customer service
Prepare deli products in accordance with company standards
Maintain safety sanitation
Experience
Helper Clerk/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAApril 26, 2016
Enjoyed multiple interactions with all kinds of people, easy schedule/job expectations, union support, management was friendly.
Pros
Flexible shifts, accomadating with scheduling, consistancy with schedule
Cons
micro-managing, no 40hr scheduling ( FT), Union Contract
Productive, great work ethics from everyone. Fun workplace with activities, gym and ping pong table
Records Analyst (Current Employee) –  Deer Valley, AZApril 26, 2016
Everyone is here ready to help everybody out. When you reach out for help, people are willing to help out even if it means contacting someone else that is better equipped to help.
On holidays there are activities and there is always a Thanksgiving dinner that is provided to all employees.
Gym and ping pong table are a new edition to this building and has had many participants.
Cons
merger is changing the culture.
Good place to work.
Food Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Bend, ORApril 26, 2016
Safeway is a great place to work. I have worked with many great people over the years. I learned lots of great skills. I have enjoyed working for Safeway.
Rotating door type work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORApril 26, 2016
Worked in meat and seafood department. Was a seafood manager for 3 of my 5 years there. I was one of the few women working in the meat/seafood department and I enjoyed working with men who talked candidly and were not thin skinned.

Management was good about trusting the meat/seafood department to do their job to the best of their abilities.

Seafood is considered a "luxury item" in the economy right now and sales were difficult to keep consistently up. t the store I was a manager I had to make the hard decision to demote myself and allow there to be only a meat manager to run both departments.
Pros
The guys I worked with
Cons
Coming home smelling like fish
This job was productive and fun
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sweet Home, ORApril 26, 2016
A usual day would start with me taking over the produce section of the store from the daytime manager, after he left I would begin facing up the produce while helping customers, after I had faced up the produce I would spend time in the store room and the freezer making sure the areas were clean and the produce was neatly stored, while checking the back store room I would also take an inventory of the items that we had while making notes of the items that would need to be ordered the following week. While doing all of this I would also go assist at the front check stands when needed.
Great First Job
Courtesy/Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 26, 2016
Great place to work. Management was positive, Friendly Customers and Co-workers. Most enjoyable thing about the job were the conversations with customers.
Pros
Great way to improve people skills
Cons
Starting Wage
Horrible company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milwaukie, ORApril 24, 2016
They only care about the customers, and not the employees. I had a medical emergency and they expected me to finish my shift at work instead of go to the hospital
Cashier and Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 23, 2016
Operate electronic scanning cash register to total customers’ final bill.
Learn and remember produce and other codes which must be entered manually
Sociable Safeway
Starbucks Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 23, 2016
Safeway Inc. is a great place to work. Friendly environment, nice people who are hired. Flexible hours with great pay. I enjoyed my employment there for 4 years. Safeway allows you to be crossed-trained in different department so you're not limited but available for future growth.
Pros
raises
Cons
no benefits