Safeway
2,900 reviews

Safeway Employer Reviews

Good work
Courtesy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee), Erie, COJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: good pay, fun work enviornment
Cons: must memerise codes for every item
A typical day at work included providing great customer service skills along with cleaning the store and bagging groceries. I learned to provide great customer service, no matter the customer's actions and diffuse any arguments amongst people. my coworkers were all team players and provided a fun work enviornment. the hardest part of this job is making sure to multitask to the best of your ability. the most enjoyable is working with the customers.
It's what you make it.
creative manager (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CAJanuary 9, 2015
After coming from an advertising agency career, I found the culture to somewhat forced. The work could be rewarding if you pushed for what you believed and the friends I made, made it all worthwhile.
Lack of Long Term Vision
Marketing/Pricing Manager (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CAJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: people
Cons: benefits, bonus was promised but rarely delivered
As a public company too much emphasis was placed on attaining short term sales/profit numbers which consistently hurt the needed long term strategic initiatives of an evolving EDLP market. This combined company Safeway/Albertson's will soon sell off many of its divisions and further consolidation of the supermarket "market" will continue. Once Norcal/Socal Vons is lost to Walmart/Kroger due to Pricing issues, this company will rapidly crumble as Cerberus turns it's profit from it's initial investment.

Other than that, I enjoyed working for Safeway mostly due to the awesome people I worked with.

If you're considering joining this company long term, good luck.
Great place for advancement
Buyer (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CAJanuary 8, 2015
I am thankful to be part of a team that is passionate about our department goals. I have learned many things in my career at Safeway that helped me grow into the professional employee I am today. We have a successful and amazing team who's creativity has set new trends year over year.
A decent place to work at.
Cashier/Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Falls Church, VAJanuary 8, 2015
A typical day at work at Safeway is having to open up a register lane and check people out with their grocery for an entire shift. You get one break then you have to go back to doing the same thing. I learned to be knowledgeable of the many kinds of fruits and vegetables. The hardest part of the job is keeping the lines short after when it get very busy especially on the weekends and holidays. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers and getting to know the people that shop there on a regular basis.
great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Alexandria,VaJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: beneifits
Cons: commute and travel distanc
This is a very good company. Great management and employees. Work life balance was good no real problems.
The Safeway I worked at was well balanced, and had a good culture of fair opportunity.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: the diverse group of people you meet
Cons: being low on crew members is never fun
I started working at Safeway,
in a position many people of all walks of life find themselves in,
the need to pay rent.

I always remembered shopping there as a kid,
so when I needed to find work, the nostalgic memories,
made it an easy choice to choose from.

I started off part time,
and was welcomed by the team members all united under the same purpose, "the pursuit of happiness", and of course representing Safeway in the community, often time with much dignity and even at times pride.

This was a job I ended up having for quite a while, and in doing so learned many great lessons, from working with such a diverse group of people. To the generations older than me I couldn't help but admire their old school work ethic, and was happy to have such traits rub off on me.

I enjoyed seeing different languages spoken in the break room and the vast multitude of culture people all came from,
there is something so cathartic about diversity.
Once you experience it, it can help you mature, and have a more sophisticated outlook about the world and even change your preconceived notions about people.

The challenge I think with working at such a company, is ironically what makes it so great,"diversity", the multitude of people you meet,
not just your co workers, but the customers as well,
peoples differences can challenge you, and being challenged isn't always comfortable, at times it can even be frustrating.

However these challenges, I believe, lead to great growth,
and that is the most enjoyable thing about Safeway, or any job really. When you're put on a team with a diverse group of people you learn things and get to grow in ways you'd never imagined;
that perhaps is the most enjoyable part of all.
Safeway Review
Pharmacy Software Manager (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CAJanuary 8, 2015
Safeway has now been purchased by Albertsons. In the past, their programs for Diversity were high value.

Their top down management work well for the stores.

Benefits were well structured with additional perks for corporate employees.

We shall see the change as both companies merge.
Wonderful place to learn about and establish genuine relationships
Cashier (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: learning retail/customer service/establishing relationships
Cons: short breaks, hours suck
Typical day at work when I clocked in was basically going straight to the cash register and ringing customers up. Aside from being in the register, I would occasionally get the freedom to go out and put groceries away and direct people with where they needed to go to find things. All my co-workers were always good to me because I was very friendly and easy going. The same can be said for the majority of my customers as well, but every now and then I would always get that one customer who just completely lost it with me. The hardest part of the job is definitely keeping your composure and being professional when situations like that go down. Other than that, I loved meeting new people and conversing with them about their day.
Pulling weekly sales of store bags that cantain reports from stores
Analyst (Former Employee), 20227 N 27 Ave Phoenix, Az 85027January 7, 2015
Audit 300 stores from Calif all their sales report to assure accuracy of store Daily and weekly Sales. I would do different states so it was nice to see how other states would sale different things.
Hours were hard to follow
Night Crew (Former Employee), Bend, ORJanuary 7, 2015
I had a hard time trying to figure out the hours and keep track of the ones that i had worked. the hours were set on the next day and not on the day that you were suppose to work.
High paced and dynamic place to work.
Analyst (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CAJanuary 7, 2015
My typical day consist of conducting data mining and analytics.
-Create Adhoc reports based on financial data
-Support upper management with time sensitive information such as daily and weekly reports.
-Create Templates and spreadsheets that help facilitate business functions.
-Conduct competitor price sensitivity analysis .
-Forecasting financials and budgting analysis.
-Purchase and cost management.

Management is very supportive and easy to work with. They know what they want and are very clear in their direction.

Co-workers are very pleasant and helpful.

Hardest part of the job is that it's time sensitive projects.

The job is satisfying and the culture is very pleasant.
Great place
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJanuary 6, 2015
I enjoyed working there when i was still in highschool. I made some new skills working there like customer service, cashiering, etc. It was a delight to be there.
Self improvement in Produce
Produce Clerk (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: great coworkers, fast paced, cognitive challenges every now and then
Cons: time consuming, physical and mental stress building.
Work is always busy. With our little crew, we somehow push through and get everything done effectively and efficiently. I learned many things working here. I learned how to work with costumers better, assisting various types customers and adjusting my way of communication to each one of them. I learned the technical aspects of the produce department understanding the numbers and percentages that are calculated weekly and monthly and adjusted my way of working to improve those statistics. Working in the produce department, I developed a large data bank of produce product knowledge like knowing how to pick certain fruits and vegetables, where they originated from, and how they are used along with knowing their growth seasons. I enjoy working with my coworkers. A lot of teamwork comes into play in our department. We divide the tasks depending on what comes in from our orders so that everything gets done properly and cleanly.
ok
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Rapid City, SDJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: boss
hours were good, never got a vacation for the five years i was there thank god , i still got payed for it. training was good learned a lot there
good starting place to get your foot in the door
Courtesy Clerk, Helper Clerk Job Descriptions (Former Employee), bonney lake waJanuary 6, 2015
I was just a helper clerk and courtesy clerk, but its an enjoyable place. time seemed to always go quickly.
Creative and Interactive work culture
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Walnut, CAJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: great environment to work in, friendly customers
Cons: poor pay compensation, extremely hard to get promoted
Relatively easy work, although pay compensation isn't the greatest.
If you enjoy talking with people you'd enjoy this job.
Good work Place
Technical Lead Database Administrator (Current Employee), Pleasonton,CAJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: good work envoirnment
Cons: very old technology usage
Good work place to work but not for high technical people. The company has good people with very good work attitude but for technical people to survive without work is difficult. Work is little difficult to learn new technical details. Good work Envoirnment
A good place to work
Fuel Station Manager (Current Employee), Tacoma, WAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: a good place to work with some turn over.
Cons: not enough pay for the work that goes into the job.
My day starts with getting the non fuel items set up and opened for the days sales. Getting reports printed up, setting up the till, getting paperwork done, waiting on customers as soon as we opened. Learned a lot over the years. Never would have known anything about gas stations other that how to pump gas if I hadn't worked here. Hardest part of the job was working shorthanded. The most enjoyable part is waiting on the customers. Co-workers are great for the most part. There were some that were hard to work with, but we made the best of the situation that we could.
ENJOYABLE WORK ENVIRONMENT, GET TO WORK WITH PUBLIC AND MEET LOTS OF GREAT PEOPLE.
RETAIL CLERK (Former Employee), Pleasanton, CAJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: positive, fun, work environment. good co-workers
Cons: new employees do not see a set schedlue for quite some time
BEGAN AS A COURTESY CLERK, THEN BECAME A FOOD CLERK WHICH INVOLVED STOCKING SHELVES, CHECKING AND WORKING WITH CUSTOMERS. I WAS GIVEN THE CHANCE TO PARTICIPATE IN MANAGEMENT TRAINING AND EVENTUALLY BECAME AN ASSISTANT MANAGER. I WAS ALSO GIVEN AN OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN HOW TO MERCHANDISE AND BUILD DISPLAYS.

THIS COMPANY PROVIDED ME WITH LONG TERM EMPLOYMENT. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB WAS WORKING WITH THE PUBLIC AND MEETING A TON OF GREAT PEOPLE AS WELL AS WORKING WITH GOOD CO-WORKERS.

I LEARNED HOW TO PROVIDE FIST CLASS CUSTOMER SERVICE WHICH LOOKING BACK NOW, I REALIZE HOW VALUABLE THAT SKILL IS AND I CONTINUE TO PROVIDE GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE WITHIN MY CURRENT JOB!

About Safeway

Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's second largest supermarket chain after Kroger Co., with, as – Read more