Safeway Employee Reviews

busy workplace
on your feet
fun and friendly
helping people
customer service, problem solving, cash handling, deposits, scheduling , managing employees
clerk
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 19, 2017
I bagged grocery's and worked in the deli I learned how to be a team-member my store was very busy but I loved the fast work jobs. I believe I did well because I moved up and had more response ability I open the deli some mornings.
Pros
good hours
Cons
not many chances to move up in the company
It's retail
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZApril 19, 2017
I worked at Safeway for less than a year, in that time I was able to work my way into becoming one of the bookeepers. Although I enjoyed my job, It is retail work, therefore you have to have an open schedule to get good hours. I felt the pay was low and the benefits weren't that great. There are really no incentives and if there are, you don't make enough to utilize them, who can go to Disneyland on minimum wage? Overall, I am grateful they hired me, they helped me get back into the workforce.
Pros
Good team work, friendly and caring coworkers/managers
Cons
Low pay, unimpressive benefits package, not enough hours
Very layed back and nice managers
Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Great Falls, VAApril 19, 2017
Never had a problem here. My bosses are always nice. If i call out sick they dont give me a hard time, extra pay on sundays, you can earn paid vacation based on hours worked, raises are also based on hours worked. Uniform isnt the best but i can deal with that.
Pros
Nice boss, layed back environment, stress free
Cons
Uniform, medium to low pay
Some awesome co-workers, but very unresponsive management
Baker (Former Employee) –  Molalla, ORApril 19, 2017
You learn a lot very quickly working here, as a baker I got the full 40 hours usually. Although they list almost everyone as part time so they can cut your hours a TON if they feel like it, which they do sometimes. Overall, I dont regret working here and am sad to leave because Ive met some awesome people here, but management is so unresponsive. I've asked to be scheduled day time only for years and they just do not care, they scheduled me working back to back shifts with less than 8 hours between on a regular basis. Employees are treated as disposable despite doing an awesome job. I see coworkers being treated just as poorly and it makes me angry to see this company just casually using people up without even trying to treat them decently. The pay is decent, and it gives you great experience and time management skills, but I just cant reccomend it as a long term job.... at least not the Bakery department... it seems like the harder you try to improve things the more they just take advantage of you. Being treated so poorly and having your concerns dismissed without a thought can really demoralize a person. The work was great, and I liked helping the customers... but the schedule was intolerable, they went so far as to tell me that I was not *allowed* to ask for a normal schedule!
Pros
Job experience, some great coworkers, employee discounts
Cons
Terrible schedule, management treating employees poorly
enjoy helping customers
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAApril 19, 2017
typical day at work is like any other supermarket it has its moments where its slow and some days where its busy. i didnt learn much at the job it was pretty standard like retail. Management was not that good, always looked out for them selves and never really knew what was going on at the store.
Pros
promotion
Cons
over worked
Great Company
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDApril 18, 2017
It was a very challenging position that kept you on your feet. Offered multiple opportunities for growth. The managers as well as employees were very friendly. Everyone worked together to ensure the job got done. The flow was excellent. The company was very well organized.
Safeway courtesy clerk
Curtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Williams, AZApril 18, 2017
I would back all the food and clean bathrooms and take out the trash and clean up messes that customers have broken I would push back the food it was like a family to me it was really fun and it was nice everybody was friendly I had a good time working with everybody I loved all the customers I was great with them
Pros
Good breaks
Cons
Merger with Albertsons is bad news
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Show Low, AZApril 18, 2017
You migh as well open your own pharmacy .Pharmacy ops basically try to make every possible effort to make the pharmacy staff accountable for every thing which is legally possible with bare minimum back stage support .
Pros
Ultimate exposure as you are doing every possible task
Cons
Lower than market rate and benefits
Great Workplace
Courtesy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 18, 2017
The workplace was great here. I was never ever stresses as I had such great co workers and customers They do not offer any benefits to part time employees.
Nice company
Food Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Helens, ORApril 18, 2017
I enjoyed spending my early years of working at Safeway and going through the ranks and departments. It's highly recommend for and young person to start somewhere like Safeway for customer service and people skills
Boring but great coworkers
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAApril 18, 2017
Not great....boring work. when you try to do more than you're assigned, you get yelled at. If you have nothing to do, you get yelled at. If you have too much tasks, you will get yelled at. they basically yell at you for almost anything.
fun place
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDApril 18, 2017
went to school at Moscow high and after school started work at 4pm. till 10pm or midnight I stocked shelves helped customers bagged groceries ect... good place to work and got to meet lots of new people
Pros
meeting people
Cons
late nights at work
Everyone is out for themselves (except a few employees)
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDApril 18, 2017
Management was poor when I worked there. All low-level employees are in the union, so working your tail off is somewhat pointless. Not that I thrive off of recognition, but positive reinforcement after quality work is nice once in a while.
Safeway
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAApril 18, 2017
is a great place to work and also has great benefits and an awesome environment would refer anyone to come and work for them. a typical day would inquire you setting up the deli, getting foods started and staying on the right pace
First job
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Grandview, WAApril 17, 2017
Typical kids first job. Nice place to work for the first time being in the work force. Cant complain, might sent my kids to work there one day too. Great place to shop.
Front end, deli bakery produce florsl customer service.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Farminton nmApril 17, 2017
I worked every department. I worked had and learned alot. I made my way from courtsey clerk to customer service. I did sales events trained people in town and out of town. I liked working there but I got sick snd couldn't anymore.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Never had a set schedule
Ok place to work
Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDApril 17, 2017
Management is horrible!!!! You have to do other people jobs as well as yours. Continuously have to ask management about sick pay, payroll errors as well but its never there fault. Plenty of finger pointing!!!!!
Enjoyed the flexibility
Checker/Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAApril 17, 2017
Excellent Benefits, flexible schedule, great managers. High level of customer service, worked every major holiday. Excellent pay after 10 years ... face paced and you have to be on your feet up to 8 hours ....
Pros
Flexibility, Pay
A busy, fast placed job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAApril 17, 2017
I got hired right after my interview, a great ladder reaching oppurtunity to work up in the safeway company. Good hours and great benefits after 3 months of working with Safeway. It doesn't take long to become a cashier or to switch into another department.
Pros
Hour lunch, benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval