Safeway Employee Reviews

Found 4,803 reviews matching the search
Gas attendant
Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  ‘Ewa Beach, HINovember 30, 2016
Hours are not set in stone and they are part of a union and have to pay fees prior to receiving any benefits. Hours would change weekly without prior authorization. Found it difficult to plan activities and appointments.
The company doesn't care
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Puget Sound, WAAugust 25, 2016
To get 40 hours a week for an hourly employee, you have to be available all hours on the clock. Work graveyard, swing, and day shifts- in the same week. Different shifts each week, unless you are a member of the good old boys club, or are willing to sleep with them.
Pros
Good wages and benefits, with seniority.
Cons
No chance for a balanced life.
good place to work and move up in the company
Fuel Station Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WASeptember 21, 2016
ordering product for the fuel station, using a telxon to scan items, inventory. Good co-workers to work with. Wrote schedules for fuel team, driving to get fuel prices from competitors and send them to corporate. Trained new employees.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
employees leaving
Advancement opportunity, great compensation
Store Director (Current Employee) –  Woodland Park, COOctober 30, 2016
Great opportunity to advance, ability to train and develop others, great compensation, and bonuses, a lot of hours, lots of new initiatives daily,
Pros
Ability to manage own store
Cons
A lot of hours
Love my job
Deli Cook (Current Employee) –  Florence, ORJanuary 12, 2017
I love my Safeway family. They are great to work for and have been the best most understanding people I've worked with. I love the products and have been a loyal shopper for years.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Long period for benefits
Good benefits for this company
Courtesy Clerk and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Longmont, CONovember 18, 2016
It was a good company front end managers did not treat workers with respect they deserve. Good benefits with company Pushing carts helping customers
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not friendly store
Fast paced, friendly enviroment
Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WASeptember 7, 2016
Great place to work, benefits 401k, good hours for family life. Great company to build your life and career around. Also offers exciting people to meet from your local community.
Fun place to work but lousy benefits
Admin. Asst./Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Danville, CAJanuary 4, 2017
The union is useless and terrible and gives bad medical insurance and benefits. You always work holidays and weekends. The pay is below average. The people are fun though.
Alot out going and nice people
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 16, 2016
Clean place and nice mangers. Alright pay and benefits. The hardest part of the job is cleaning the cooking oil up. What I love the most about the job is the customers and co workers.
It's a job
Floral Designer (Current Employee) –  Bonney Lake, WAJuly 11, 2016
I enjoy working at the store I work at right now however I can not make a living doing this job. There are a lot of changes with the company and it seems like there is always something that needs to be done differently.I am trying to move on to a new career. I have stayed with this job because of the medical benefits and I have been loyal to my co-workers when there is a lot to do.
Nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Parkville, MDDecember 14, 2016
This employer still has union for workers. Those union benefits are nice to have. Regular benefits don't include very much. Nice clean grocery store with friendly staff.
Disappointed
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oregon City, ORApril 16, 2016
Although I enjoy my job and the customers, I am very disappointed in both the management and the corporation as a whole. Unfortunately, Safeway does not hire full time unless you are a manager. But, they no longer offer the coarse work to obtain management status. There is no potential for growth.
I am currently number 1 in the northwest for obtaining the most completed and high scoring surveys that we ask our customers to complete. As a whole the store wants to achieve 10 out of 10 on these surveys. This is a required task our company asks of all associates to do. These surveys are about the visit and the experience for that day of shopping only. Which involves superior customer service skills and display.
Pros
Fast paced, better than no job, co-workers are great
Cons
no benefits, no growth opportunity, very low wages
Great Co-Workers and workplace
Claims Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAOctober 13, 2016
Working for this company is great. Work is repetitive as far as entering benefit payments, obtaining medical status, contacting attorneys in regards to their clients.
Cons
Benefits provieded to all employees is expensive.
An occasional long day
Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 1, 2016
A typical day while i was employed at vons was 14hrs and was just ridiculous. Sometimes had to work 6 days a week but a salary position as it was at the time was unexpectedly difficult.
so cold to work at produce
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CADecember 6, 2016
nice co worker, i had so much fun working at safeway but salary is just minimum and not even enough to pay my bills because they cut hours even if you are a full time employee.
good place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 21, 2016
i was not there that long but everybody was very friendly and helpful. pretty simple job to do and kept you very busy. this is a great job for young peope as a good first job
Pros
full benefits after 6 months
Cons
not enough hours
Working at safeway was okay.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAAugust 18, 2016
I enjoy interacting with people, but i didn't like the management. There is no benefits and they forget about you. I like keeping busy and i couldn't really do anything except stand there.
Pros
Meeting new people.
Cons
No benefits, bad hours and pay.
I like it
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDOctober 16, 2016
it's usually really fast pace day, the managers are always friendly and kind. if you need to take off they allow you to and are understanding to certain things you may have to deal with.
Pros
union benefits.
Cons
short breaks
Good place to work.
Accounting Clerk IV (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 2, 2016
This was a wonderful experience and I learned a lot in the accounting department I was in. Lots of excellent employees throughout the organization always willing to help. Typical day-answering calls, making accounting adjustments, running reports. Hardest part of the job was the workload. Most enjoyable was the flexibility and responsibility.
Pros
Good pay and benefits. job security, co-workers, facilities, location
Cons
Very large organization, recently merged
Great first job except the initiation fee for the lowest paying job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  ‘Ewa Beach, HIAugust 8, 2016
While working here. I only started at $7.25 and couldn't go any higher than $7.80 upon raises. The union initiation fee was about $230 and I barely made $100 a week, so it was a little bit difficult to come up with that money.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.