Safeway
3,562 reviews

Safeway Employee Reviews

Safeway
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJuly 8, 2015
I enjoyed working here. The staff was friendly and helpful. Management however was very unprofessional. At times I would overhear management insulting staff members.
Get to meet new people show how to communicate
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Hayward, CAJuly 8, 2015
Fun Friendly Experience Got a chance to learn retail it showed responsibility and how to communicate and good customer Services
productive hard phsyical work.
Courtesy clerk (Current Employee), Zephyr Cove Nv.July 8, 2015
Pros: Good healthcare
Cons: Too many duties and expectations from managment.
Lots of customer interaction. Lots of walking ,pushing carts, mops and brooms. I enjoy most of the physical aspects of the job. working well with others, being a team player.
Productive and fun workplace with a good team of workers.
Baker (Former Employee), Escondido, CAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Fun crew to work with
Cons: It affected my life outside of work.
I worked with a good team of coworkers and that made the job a lot more fun. The early hours were both good and bad. I learned how to bake fresh bread and decorate cupcakes and package product.
Fast paced environment
Front End Manager (Former Employee), CAJuly 7, 2015
Enjoyable to work with others, hard working coworkers, stable hours, good entry level job, never a dull moment, decent pay
Productive and Fun
Cashier & Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Centreville, VAJuly 7, 2015
I learned how to run the register and answer calls and answer customer concerns. I learned all the codes for produce and other products. I worked with great coworkers and very nice management.
Great place to work while you are in school.
Team Member (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 7, 2015
Pros: The ability to make someone having a bad shopping experience and turn it into a good one, and the flexibility of the scheduling while I was in school.
Cons: Dealing with nasty peoples attitudes.
I started to work for Safeway Inc. when I was in High School. They were very accommodating with my school schedule and continue to be to this day. At Safeway Inc. I have had the opportunity to work with some great people and some not so easy going. I feel like this has taught me some very important problem solving skills. When I walk into the door for work I clock in and begin giving great customer service. I believe that the customer is who pays me therefore I try to make everybody's shopping experience the best to make customers want to come back. My co-workers are a good bunch of people to work with and tend to be very welcoming. Management changes every so often at Safeway but, the management team we have currently is one of the best I have worked with my entire career at Safeway Inc. I would say the most enjoyable part of my job is customer interaction. Some days your attitude can completely change the way somebody's day is going. Therefore I try my best to keep a great attitude because if all it takes to make somebody's day better is smiling and treating them nicely why not spread the good energy. I would say the hardest part is keeping up the good energy because when your standing for 8 hours a day and people are not treating you very nicely then its hard to keep a positive attitude.
It's a good start
Cashier Clerk (Former Employee), Menlo Park, CAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: If you're lucky good hours and get to have a store party once and awhile.
Cons: Short breaks (any if you're lucky), Rude customers, & Bad Hours.
Working at Safeway isn't so hard, it's all about getting the right fit for you and it's easy to move around as long as you have a good manager. From my experience you can have the best attitude and be friendly but some days people will just drive you up the wall and that's why having good management is a key.
Good Start
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), ConcordJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Co-workers, Benefits
Cons: High Demand, Busy Schedule
Safeway was a good place for me to step out into the work field. It was my first job and taught me responsibility, time management, and customer service. Everyone at Safeway is friendly and social and work together. It was not easy to serve all the demands of customers and make everyone happy yet it was nice to know It was a collaborative job and I wasn't alone on anything.
over all horrible experince at Pavilion's (Safeway)
Assist. Deli Manager (Former Employee), West Hollywood , CaliforniaJuly 7, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: under payed extremely over worked stressful working environment
Hired at Pavilions in January left another major Grocery Company as Assist Manager to become a Manager in Pavilions took major pay cut temporarily while I was to be trained to Safeway standards pay raise and quarterly bonuses were promised upon completion of training. After 5 month's of slave labor doing management duties being payed courtesy clerk wages Gelson's contacted me offered me a great position with respectable pay and I immediately left Pavilions. My experience in Safeway was horrible been in the industry 25 plus years and never had I experience such a cut throat mentality many employees are blaming Albertsons merger as the major problem.
Very good starter job
Customer Service (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Staying active and flexible scheduling
Cons: Not much advancement available
A day at work is busy because it's a grocery store. There'sa lot of work to attend to which keeps you busy. The managament has good rapport with employees and the job keeps a person active and fit.
Fun
Courtesy clerk (Former Employee), Sahuarita AzJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Good Pay Great Management
Cons: Short Breaks
everybody was fun and not to mean but the only issue was that u did not get congratulated that much on how hard you work the hours were okay but the fact that they changed every week were hard to keep track and they don't offer to look at your schedule online.
alright
Front End Checker (Current Employee), Chico, CAJuly 6, 2015
Management only cares for themselves only. Payment was good co workers were nice. The way the store was run was less than functional.
Productive but no room for advancement.
Customer Support Representative (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Healthcare, job security, management
Cons: Long hours for little pay.
At Safeway you job is certainly secure but It will take years to advance to a management position. Your coworkers are great for the most part and the customers are spectacular.
Productive workplace with supportive and family like employees.
Cashier (Current Employee), Goodyear, AZJuly 5, 2015
Safeway comforts me with a nice environment to work around. Also provides me with very supportive people to work with. Helpful service is provided on Safeway's store products.
Not the ideal work enviromnment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Cherry Ridge ComplexJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Benifits
Cons: Over worked underpaid, under appreciated
Safeway is the reason I am motivated to find new jobs. A normal day at work consisted of complaining managers, and dissatisfied workers. Safeway was recently consumed by Albertsons. And the staff before and after is completely unprofessional, and unorganized. In my time there I learned to work work work, and work. No breaks, just work. Management is a disaster. I was told to not work for the whole week, and soon after fired, for telling them I wont work the Fourth of July, due to my cousin returning form the US Air Force, and the CEO told me, "Well, it's a busy day". Co workers are MISERABLE. Everyone is exhausted, we are scolded for not working hard enough, whilst taking no breaks. It's a lose lose situation. My most enjoyable part of working at Safeway was when I was able to clock out for lunch, because I could recollect myself from the abuse we had to tolerate.
Under a lot pressure and stress
Checker (Former Employee), Half Moon Bay, CAJuly 4, 2015
Pros: One hour lunch
Cons: Crazy work hours, minimum pay, small chance for advancement, and rude co-workers
A typical day working for Safeway has goods, but the majority there is lot of stress and crazy hours. The hardest part of the job was going to school as a full-time student and receiving an 8 hour work load.
productive and fun work environment
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), stockton caJuly 3, 2015
I learned that the customers come first and to always follow the rules. most co-workers are very nice. hardest part of the job was nothing. job was pretty easy. management is cool.
Productive safeway
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee), Sunnyvale, CAJuly 3, 2015
Cons: short breaks
My typical day at work at safeway was pretty fast going, mostly because there would be a lot of customers needing help. I would bag people's groceries and get carts from outside. Every two hours i would sweep the whole store. There wasnt really a hard part of my job, it was pretty laid-back. My most enjoyable part of the job was bagging and talking to customers. My co-workers were very friendly and welcoming.
First Job Worthy
Checker/Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Ventura, CAJuly 2, 2015
A typical day at work is extremely busy. A grocery store is constantly full of people- all day long, all week long, all month long. By having a strong work ethic working through the day is easy to accomplish.

About Safeway

Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's second largest supermarket chain after Kroger Co., with, as – Read more

Safeway Salaries