Safeway Employee Reviews

Very fun place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WANovember 27, 2017
Very fast-paced and if you're not ready for the job or think you can't do it, you probably got hired for the wrong position. You can either do this job in the deli or you cannot. Lots of heavy lifting and pressure constantly. Double shifts are sometimes a requirement. This job is like a marriage but I would recommend it to anyone.
I dont know
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WANovember 27, 2017
I didn't really like safeway but it also was a really long time ago, just didn't get paid enough and did't like the culture of it in all honesty but oh well.
Worst job to take ever!!!!
Assistant Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CANovember 27, 2017
They do not meet any needs except their own. Job and life balance is none, it's either what Safeway or as the employees call it Slaveway wants or they cut your hours so you can barely survive so you have to grovel for hours. I have never been in a less friendly staffed environment in my life.
Safeway does not provide adequate support & coverage .
Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee) –  Pendleton, ORNovember 27, 2017
Safeway is requires more and more reports and corporate statistics that "must be" submitted but they do not give the staff adequate labor coverage to accomplish this. They base labor on script count so if extra time is needed to serve a patient, scripts aren't being generated so ,in essence, the pharmacy loses.
Slave Ship
Floral Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marin County, CANovember 27, 2017
There is never enough time to accomplish their expectations so you are constantly stressed, compelling you to not take a break simply because someone's going to get on your case about what you haven't done.

Management can make or break your experience working here. And they seem to shift managers around every several months or so. You can have one manager and they have the store and ship shop shape everything is running smoothly, then they transfer that manager to another store and you get a new manager who is on the warpath has nothing positive to say and doesn't accommodate the pre-arranged one day off per week you take to accommodate your own career business that you have outside of this part time McJob.
A real nice place to work
Floral Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 27, 2017
This job was great. I liked it alot.
But the pay was way to low,
And they cut my hours back to where it wasn't worth my time.
I was paying more In gas, to get back and forth from work, than I was earning.
I liked the environment and the people that worked there. But I couldn't survive on the hours they had cut me back to. Two days a week four hours a day.. that's 8hours a week. Seriously not enough.
Pros
The job itself
Cons
Not enough hours
The regular shoppers are nice people
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 26, 2017
A typical day at work would start with welcomes and hello's when I clock in to work. I would then get asked if I could work on what needs to be done the most such as carts, stocking, and facing. Management when you are a new hire can be different because they will treat them more aggressive in a way, but not too harsh. They will take advantage of you if you are a yes-man.
Cons
10 min breaks, No tips, No overtime, Schedule always changes
First ever job
Courtesy Clerk/Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDNovember 26, 2017
This was my first ever job.. not the best job by far.. not many hours.. really slow most of the time.. co workers barely work. I really didn’t like working at Safeway.. was happy to finally leave.
Company lost focus
Labor (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CANovember 25, 2017
Safeway had a vision, and then lost it. It became more concerned with health care, then with the business of selling groceries. Thereafter, it got itself ready for sale, and was sold.
Pros
Fast paced, decent pay
Cons
Lost focus on business
Flexible schedule
Barista (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 25, 2017
There are many tasks to do in a work shift. Overall, our priorities were always about the customers satisfaction shopping at Safeway. Also, you receive great benefits while working with Safeway.
n/a
Courtesy Clerk/Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 25, 2017
it's a good job but i wasn't getting more hours and no benefits because i wasn't full time and i wasn't with the company for a while and my schedule was too random hours
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
If you need a temp job
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CANovember 25, 2017
I would not recommend this job long term. If you're looking for a part time summer job then Safeway is a good start up place. Typically understaffed, moral of company decreased once Albertsons bought Safeway.
only work here for your first job
Clerk/Vault/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILNovember 25, 2017
Being that this place was my first employer I did learn a lot but expected more from a company that is very large. if they would pay their employees more maybe grocery store employees might be happier.
Good Company with health benefits
CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER/HEAD BOOKKEEPER (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 25, 2017
I enjoyed my work career at Safeway. One really great thing about working with this company is that they will cross train you in all departments. They want to see you do good and grow. The union scale does make it hard and seem long to get pay raises.
Productive work enviroment with unadequate wages to prices today
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Yakima, WANovember 24, 2017
The Safeway I work at is a Productive work enviroment with unadequate wages to prices today in my local area, my wage is 11.10 /hr working about 20ish hours a week
Retail is retail
HELPER CLERK (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WANovember 24, 2017
Working at Safeway is pretty okay. I worked there for about a year and I was promoted twice. I did not, however, receive a raise more than five cents. The hours are awful, you hardly ever get time off, but the management are decent. You don't get to pick your schedule, and they either give you hardly any hours or way too much.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Either too many hours or not enough
Overnights
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Spearfish, SDNovember 24, 2017
While I was working overnights for Safeway it was a very stress free environment and very quick pace. The people and the manager that worked over nights were very nice and helpful.
Overworked and underpaid
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VANovember 24, 2017
Responsibilities was to clean oven to pack freezer also to unpack delivery trucks and 2Pac the deli Isles all tools to serve customers on a 4-Hour basis of myself in the deli
working at safeway
Merchandise Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 22, 2017
I worked at safeway for eight years. I started out as a cashier then after two years I went on the reset team .... I loved this job... traveling meeting other employees from other states, counties .. It was a great experience putting the new stores together
Pros
great co workers
Cons
traveling 4 am in the morning
Competative and fast paced
CHECKER/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Spearfish, SDNovember 22, 2017
Fast paced and must know your prices and what to do in a tight pinch. Must know about rain-checks and how to call on managers when needed. Always have a friendly face.
Pros
1/2 hour breaks
Cons
issues with employees being sick

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.