Sage Publications

Sage Publications Employee Reviews

Great Colleagues, Terrible Management
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAApril 6, 2016
Sage, on the whole, is a great place to work. IF you're ok with sloppy management and HR that doesn't listen. The community atmosphere amongst employees is wonderful. The benefits are amazing. The pay is mediocre at best - it takes YEARS to make decent money.

The work experience varies wildly depending on your department and manager. Customer service is THE WORST as far as management goes. For some reason, they've kept the same inept, vindictive manager on for over a decade despite complaints to HR and upper management.
Pros
Free lunch Friday, great benefits, great people
Cons
HORRID management across the board
Good Benefits, Poor Management
Anonomous (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJune 6, 2016
SAGE has undergone a tremendous cultural change over the last 5 years, from a wonderful working environment to one with very poor employee morale.
Benefits
Cons
Management, Work Culture
Great Company, Poor Management
N/A (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAMay 21, 2013
The facilities are amazing, the company treats it's employees very well but time management is something that this company does not grasp. The management style is poor. They pile up so much work and responsibilities and expect you to learn everything within a few days. Impossible. I am a fast learner but they had me train on about 4-6 different areas a day and it became so overwhelming. You hardly get a chance to breath. Other managers give you instructions knowing that someone is new and they don't try and help. Other employees were nice but after awhile a few seemed to show they're true colors. Hopefully the department I worked for revamped and pulled it together because it was a huge cluster of a mess going on.
Pros
Facilities, compensations
Cons
Overwhelming at times
a place to advance and not just settle for what you start with
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Newbury Park, CAJanuary 9, 2015
I worked for Sage about 4-5 years ago and I loved this company!! The people in each department are like one big family. I started out as a temp in the warehouse thru an agency to a permanent hire thru the company to then becoming a customer service rep now working "on the inside" so I have to say it was very accomplishing to be there. I would have never left if I didn't decide to move. I would definitely love going back to work there!!!
Pros
great health benefits, yearly company picnic, children activities during holidays
Cons
very cold or very hot in warehouse, small work space inside building
Transitioning publishing company
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJuly 5, 2013
I wasn't there for long, but I enjoyed my time there. Everyone is nice, and the tasks aren't that difficult, but often times tedious. I often felt like many practices/systems/chain of approval practices were outdated and that it wasn't an efficient company. If you're interested in publishing, I believe they're one of the best, but overall just not exciting for a young person to be starting their career.
Pros
Free lunches, great benefits
Cons
cubicles, office space, lack of unity.
A great place to work for
Executive Sales (Former Employee) –  Newbury Park, CAMarch 5, 2014
Assisting Professors, Administrators or even brand new teachers in researching and helping to further their knowledge for teaching. I learned that publishing is at times overlooked but is so very rewarding for those seeking information in their respected professions. Management did a great job at ensuring that each employee was taken care of in respect to benefits and pay. The picnics and parties they put on for employee enjoyment.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Very Long hours in finance
Senior Financial Analyst, FP&A (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAMay 17, 2015
Multi-system environment and a lot of manual processes, expected long hours in finance and very limited to no work-life balance.
Pros
Good benefits, free lunch fridays
Cons
No possible advancement in Finance
A successful publishing company
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJune 22, 2015
Customer Service Representative I is responsible for handling incoming calls from customers and providing excellent customer service.
Benefits are great!
Every Friday we receive free lunch!
Pros
Free lunch on Fridays
Great Place for those starting out and for those who are looking for a place to retire
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJune 12, 2012
Overall great learning experience despite the fact that I had 6 bosses in 5 years.
Pros
great benefits, great colleagues and pretty easy to get acclimated to
Cons
management is lacking and there is high turnover, no way to move up in the company
One of the best companies I have ever worked for
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newbury Park, CANovember 30, 2012
SAGE/Corwin really cares about their employees and their company values really mean something and everyone is treated with respect. As an assistant to an executive, my workload for the day was determined by what the executives needs were. We relied heavily on Outlook due to back to back meetings, making sure everyone was on time and had all documents needed for the meetings. It was my job to make sure everything ran smoothly and I did whatever I could to make the executives job easier.

I got along great with my boss and my co-workers and that made the job very enjoyable.

SAGE is publishing company that is family run and they have been in business for over 45 years. There is a sister company called Corwin, that is run by the son of the SAGE founders. Last year my boss and I were transferred to Corwin, in an effort to help turn things around, as they were losing money. Unfortunately they continued on a downward spiral and were forced to lay off staff, in an effort to save money, otherwise I would still be employed there.
Pros
health benefits were great, they catered lunch every friday, every 5 year anniversary you were treated to a free international trip + an extra week of vacation
Cons
corwin publishes books for professional development for educators, budget cuts and the digital age has impacted book sales, soon books will be obsolete.
Good work experience
Customer Service/Support (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAMarch 1, 2016
A very good customer service experience that has helped me realize my goals as an employee. Though the amount of teamwork and management was a bit scarce.
Great placed to work with plenty of challenges
Staff Writer (Former Employee) –  Cody, WYOctober 5, 2015
Every day was an education, meeting and talking with people. It challenged my skills as a writer to put their words into an article people enjoyed reading. There was something new every day.
My co-workers were hard working and dedicated, especially in the editorial department. It was a cohesive unit working toward one goal.
The hardest part - meeting deadlines when there's so much to do.
The most enjoyable part - meeting deadlines.
Management was always there to answer questions and encourage each person.
Pros
Monthly lunches where everyone would bring something to share.
Quiet place with a bit of turnover
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJuly 26, 2013
There's little interaction among staff at Sage, it's sort of a company of strangers to each other. There is quite a bit of turnover. The benefits are quite good.
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJuly 19, 2013
Casual Fridays with free lunch makes this a great place to work. Benefits are amazing. Very fun culture!
Poor leadership is hurting the company's potential and everyone is overworked
Editor (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CaliforniaApril 26, 2013
The compensation and benefits are really good. The company is profiting and trying to keep up with the bigger players and the drastic changes in the publishing industry. This scrambling to keep up and growth, has left Sage with a serious pace issue in recent years-people at all levels are overworked and are too scared to complain. An internal climate survey was conducted by C-level management that showed pace was a key issue, but nothing has been done to help the situation. Many employees have gone on "medical leave" related to stress and pressure. HR tries their best, but they are really slow handling matters and always side with the managers. The senior management team needs to take more risks. They wait to see what happens and then make decisions, instead of thinking 5-10 years ahead. Thus, the constant scrambling to keep up. They also promote people to the senior management team that are brainy, but not good people managers. The senior team is becoming more of a boys club than it used to be. Several of them have had serious complaints lodged against them in the past and were warned, and still made it to Director and VP levels. People are shocked when this happens, but it continues to happen. On top of this, there is a lot of nepotism. The president's family members are in director-level positions. Several high level managers (in different departments) are married to each other, too.
Pros
great benefits, nice location, growing and profitable
Cons
people are given to much work, nepotism, risk-adverse leadership, lack people management skills on management team
Senior Account Executive for Peer Reviewed Conference Highlight Publication
Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CaFebruary 20, 2015
 Responsible for maximizing revenue for assigned territory to customers in the pharmaceutical and medical device market by selling sponsorships for peer-reviewed conference highlights publications
 Aid in the growth of new products, existing products, sales departments and SAGE through contributions in development and execution of strategic planning on an continual basis
 Responsible for revenue retention and growth in assigned territories
 Contribute, execute, and aid in annual strategic sales planning
 Participate in forecasting for territory revenue and responsible for achievement of revenue target for territory
 Prospect for new advertisers through conferences, competitive publications, and various other lead sources
 Manage and maintain customer database with customer relationship management
 Maintain daily, weekly, and monthly contact with clients and prospects
 Provide sales reports and/or call reports
 Work in collaborative team environment to obtain goals and forecasts set by management
Pros
Great company culture
Cons
No place for advancement
Nepotism. Dishonesty.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Newbury Park, CAMay 22, 2015
This company is a direct reflection of what's wrong with this country, in my opinion. The top 3% are being paid for doing nothing but wreaking havoc on the other 97%. The special people can do as they please, work as they please, when they please and how they please. There is no investment in the rest of the employees. A free lunch doesn't make up for the lack of professionalism and support for those doing most of the work. Senior management is deluded. They see themselves as better than in reality. It's an environment of privilege, where there is none. The narcissists prevail in this company because they hire each other into management positions.

Toxic environment, but you'd never know it from the outside.
Pros
Nice location
Cons
Work environment, lack of support.
Very productive and team oriented enviroment
CSR 1 (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CADecember 10, 2012
A typical day at work was very busy and productive on the go. I learned a lot with the company. High energy and loved working and helping customers was my priority. Management was awesome. Best Company I have ever worked for. Always making sure our needs were met and very enthusiastic group of people to work for. My co-workers were amazing always looking out for one another and always ready to lend a helping hand. The hardest part of the job for me was making sure my set goals for the day were met. The best part of working for Sage was everything not one fault i could find and i tried. Management was great, environment was awesome. Team oriented and beyond friendly.
Pros
everything
Na
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJanuary 24, 2015
Trench–hardened expert in managing cross-functional, matrix team developing new products and maintaining the
business project portfolio. Skilled at orchestrating IT, EPM (Enterprise Project Management), Business Intelligence
(BI), Security, Infrastructure and Business projects from the Planning Phase to the Post Implementation Phase using
triple constraints; projects within budget and on-time consisting of a few thousands to $30 million dollar budgets
with 4 to 50 resources. Facilitated and/or attended joint application design (JAD) and joint application requirement
(JAR) sessions with business teams and IT technical staff to gather business requirements for assigned development
projects. Prepared Final Project Status Report & Update SR Status. Weekly Team meeting on project status and
work product review. Developed weekly status report to present to upper management. Conducted Project Closedown,
Lessons Learned/ Root Cause Analysis (if applicable).
Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 19, 2014
I enjoyed working with my coworkers and the overall work place environment was very productive. There was lots of work to be completed at all times. However, there was constant change in management and frequent layoffs, which changed the office morale and constantly made for a questioning of job security.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sage Publications. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7