Sage Publications Employee Reviews

Terrific culture and supportive environment
Acquisitions Editor (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CASeptember 27, 2017
SAGE is a great place to work. The culture here is supportive and when you are creative, have good ideas and you aren't afraid to share them, your leadership and contributions are recognized.
good work life balance and excellent benefits; no job security
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 6, 2016
Good work life balance and excellent benefits. I enjoyed working with the junior staff. However, members of mid-level management were constantly fired with little notice. People feared losing their jobs which was demoralizing.
Pros
free lunches, excellent health benefits
Cons
no job security, junior staff not appreciated
Good Benefits, Poor Management
Anonomous (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJune 6, 2016
SAGE has undergone a tremendous cultural change over the last 5 years, from a wonderful working environment to one with very poor employee morale.
Benefits
Cons
Management, Work Culture
Great Colleagues, Terrible Management
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAApril 6, 2016
Sage, on the whole, is a great place to work. IF you're ok with sloppy management and HR that doesn't listen. The community atmosphere amongst employees is wonderful. The benefits are amazing. The pay is mediocre at best - it takes YEARS to make decent money.

The work experience varies wildly depending on your department and manager. Customer service is THE WORST as far as management goes. For some reason, they've kept the same inept, vindictive manager on for over a decade despite complaints to HR and upper management.
Pros
Free lunch Friday, great benefits, great people
Cons
HORRID management across the board
Good work experience
Customer Service/Support (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAMarch 1, 2016
A very good customer service experience that has helped me realize my goals as an employee. Though the amount of teamwork and management was a bit scarce.
Great placed to work with plenty of challenges
Staff Writer (Former Employee) –  Cody, WYOctober 5, 2015
Every day was an education, meeting and talking with people. It challenged my skills as a writer to put their words into an article people enjoyed reading. There was something new every day.
My co-workers were hard working and dedicated, especially in the editorial department. It was a cohesive unit working toward one goal.
The hardest part - meeting deadlines when there's so much to do.
The most enjoyable part - meeting deadlines.
Management was always there to answer questions and encourage each person.
Pros
Monthly lunches where everyone would bring something to share.
A successful publishing company
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJune 22, 2015
Customer Service Representative I is responsible for handling incoming calls from customers and providing excellent customer service.
Benefits are great!
Every Friday we receive free lunch!
Pros
Free lunch on Fridays
Nepotism. Dishonesty.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Newbury Park, CAMay 22, 2015
This company is a direct reflection of what's wrong with this country, in my opinion. The top 3% are being paid for doing nothing but wreaking havoc on the other 97%. The special people can do as they please, work as they please, when they please and how they please. There is no investment in the rest of the employees. A free lunch doesn't make up for the lack of professionalism and support for those doing most of the work. Senior management is deluded. They see themselves as better than in reality. It's an environment of privilege, where there is none. The narcissists prevail in this company because they hire each other into management positions.

Toxic environment, but you'd never know it from the outside.
Pros
Nice location
Cons
Work environment, lack of support.
Very Long hours in finance
Senior Financial Analyst, FP&A (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAMay 17, 2015
Multi-system environment and a lot of manual processes, expected long hours in finance and very limited to no work-life balance.
Pros
Good benefits, free lunch fridays
Cons
No possible advancement in Finance
Quiet, isolated
Intern (Former Employee) –  Newbury Park, CAApril 24, 2015
Worked as an intern here. The company culture is quiet and isolated. Very cliquey. Not much direction was given and the person training me was stressed and irritated with my questions.
Pros
Free lunch on Fridays.
Cons
No one to talk to.
Senior Account Executive for Peer Reviewed Conference Highlight Publication
Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CaFebruary 20, 2015
 Responsible for maximizing revenue for assigned territory to customers in the pharmaceutical and medical device market by selling sponsorships for peer-reviewed conference highlights publications
 Aid in the growth of new products, existing products, sales departments and SAGE through contributions in development and execution of strategic planning on an continual basis
 Responsible for revenue retention and growth in assigned territories
 Contribute, execute, and aid in annual strategic sales planning
 Participate in forecasting for territory revenue and responsible for achievement of revenue target for territory
 Prospect for new advertisers through conferences, competitive publications, and various other lead sources
 Manage and maintain customer database with customer relationship management
 Maintain daily, weekly, and monthly contact with clients and prospects
 Provide sales reports and/or call reports
 Work in collaborative team environment to obtain goals and forecasts set by management
Pros
Great company culture
Cons
No place for advancement
Na
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJanuary 24, 2015
Trench–hardened expert in managing cross-functional, matrix team developing new products and maintaining the
business project portfolio. Skilled at orchestrating IT, EPM (Enterprise Project Management), Business Intelligence
(BI), Security, Infrastructure and Business projects from the Planning Phase to the Post Implementation Phase using
triple constraints; projects within budget and on-time consisting of a few thousands to $30 million dollar budgets
with 4 to 50 resources. Facilitated and/or attended joint application design (JAD) and joint application requirement
(JAR) sessions with business teams and IT technical staff to gather business requirements for assigned development
projects. Prepared Final Project Status Report & Update SR Status. Weekly Team meeting on project status and
work product review. Developed weekly status report to present to upper management. Conducted Project Closedown,
Lessons Learned/ Root Cause Analysis (if applicable).
a place to advance and not just settle for what you start with
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Newbury Park, CAJanuary 9, 2015
I worked for Sage about 4-5 years ago and I loved this company!! The people in each department are like one big family. I started out as a temp in the warehouse thru an agency to a permanent hire thru the company to then becoming a customer service rep now working "on the inside" so I have to say it was very accomplishing to be there. I would have never left if I didn't decide to move. I would definitely love going back to work there!!!
Pros
great health benefits, yearly company picnic, children activities during holidays
Cons
very cold or very hot in warehouse, small work space inside building
Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 19, 2014
I enjoyed working with my coworkers and the overall work place environment was very productive. There was lots of work to be completed at all times. However, there was constant change in management and frequent layoffs, which changed the office morale and constantly made for a questioning of job security.
A great place to work for
Executive Sales (Former Employee) –  Newbury Park, CAMarch 5, 2014
Assisting Professors, Administrators or even brand new teachers in researching and helping to further their knowledge for teaching. I learned that publishing is at times overlooked but is so very rewarding for those seeking information in their respected professions. Management did a great job at ensuring that each employee was taken care of in respect to benefits and pay. The picnics and parties they put on for employee enjoyment.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Quiet place with a bit of turnover
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJuly 26, 2013
There's little interaction among staff at Sage, it's sort of a company of strangers to each other. There is quite a bit of turnover. The benefits are quite good.
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJuly 19, 2013
Casual Fridays with free lunch makes this a great place to work. Benefits are amazing. Very fun culture!
Transitioning publishing company
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJuly 5, 2013
I wasn't there for long, but I enjoyed my time there. Everyone is nice, and the tasks aren't that difficult, but often times tedious. I often felt like many practices/systems/chain of approval practices were outdated and that it wasn't an efficient company. If you're interested in publishing, I believe they're one of the best, but overall just not exciting for a young person to be starting their career.
Pros
Free lunches, great benefits
Cons
cubicles, office space, lack of unity.
Great company to work for!
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Vestal, NYMay 27, 2013
As an Independent Contractor for Sage Publications, I was hired to assist a faculty member in a psychology department with research pertaining to abnormal psychology. The members at Sage Publications were clear with their expectations, which has made my working experience with them great.
Great Company, Poor Management
N/A (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAMay 21, 2013
The facilities are amazing, the company treats it's employees very well but time management is something that this company does not grasp. The management style is poor. They pile up so much work and responsibilities and expect you to learn everything within a few days. Impossible. I am a fast learner but they had me train on about 4-6 different areas a day and it became so overwhelming. You hardly get a chance to breath. Other managers give you instructions knowing that someone is new and they don't try and help. Other employees were nice but after awhile a few seemed to show they're true colors. Hopefully the department I worked for revamped and pulled it together because it was a huge cluster of a mess going on.
Pros
Facilities, compensations
Cons
Overwhelming at times