Sagem Avionics is a U.S. based subsidiary of the Safran Group. The company designs, produces and supports a product line that includes helicopter autopilots, flight control components, illuminated Cockpit Control Panel & Dimming Control, Avionics Illuminated Pushbutton Switches , and, Flight Data Recording and Analysis, and Part 145 service center for Sagem Avionics, Sagem Defense Security and other Safran divisions.
Sagem Avionic's Costa Mesa facility has an immediate opening for an Electrical Engineering Specialist. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing technical and design leadership and guidance to electrical design team on new product development for aircraft electrical control equipment, from inception to qualification completion, and transfer to production.
- Supervising the electrical engineering activities, mentoring and administering performance reviews for the electrical engineering team.
- Developing state of the art electrical design for aircraft controls and electronic systems and providing solutions to problems with analog and digital electronic circuits.
- Planning, organizing and executing technical activities in accordance with policies & procedures. Originating design specifications, design documents, perform validation & verification, establishing procedures, reports, and any other documentation in support of design and development activities.
- Interfacing with cross-functional engineering team, program management and customer to ensure compliance of the product to the customer requirement and statement of work.
- Responsibility for continuous improvements of aircraft cockpit panels and dimming controllers to meet specific customer requirements. These activities will include analysis to assure compliance to customer specifications and industry requirements.Prepare documentation required to fulfill Sagem’s product development process.
- This position additionally supports engineering management in developing; engineering design time/schedule estimates, budgets, assisting bids and proposal efforts; and makes staffing decisions as appropriate to electrical design activities.
- Providing leadership to the electrical engineering team and provide subject matter expertise for electrical/electronic system design and components selection, product/process improvements, test procedures, manufacturability, and technology trends.
- Directing and assign the electrical engineering work to the team and keep the team accountable for delivering results.
- Creating and implementing advanced electrical design and methodologies to support the Technical and Innovation Roadmaps of the organization.
- Responsibility for complete design cycle activities and processes from concept to qualification, including making prototypes,conducting development verification testing and analysis supported by testing to assure compliance to requirements.
- Performing simulation, stress analysis and worst-case analysis for analog and digital circuit design analysis, laboratory tests, Lead and prepare product documentation inclusive of drawings, BOMs, reports, calculations, etc- Work with customers, suppliers, program managers and other engineering disciplines to optimize designs and identify cost trade-offs.
- Reviewing customer specifications and determine compliance to requirements and initiate design specification supporting the compliance means.
- Conducting/reviewing engineering analysis and documentation in accordance with DFSS tools to fulfill Sagem’s requirements.
- Working in alignment with other engineering disciplines (mechanical, quality, and manufacturing) to optimize designs, identify cost trade-offs and achieve successful product integration.
- Providing direction on design for power and signal conditioning, EMC susceptibility and radiation and design guidelines at the PCB layout and system level.
- Performing Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (DFMEA) and establish reliability analysis.
- Preparing, reviewing, and approving the documentation required to define and control products.
- Preparing design proposals to present to customer to support internal and external PDR and the CDR events.
- Initiating and providing test criteria to test engineering. Creating and implementing test procedures for products based on product requirements and customer specifications. Providing test and evaluation support including preparation for ATP and QTP test plans and procedures.
- Providing technical support to all internal departments, suppliers, and customers as it relates to the product.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum 5 years of Electrical Engineering experience in an Automotive, Aerospace or Medical Device new product development (NPD) environment
- This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee
- Legally authorized to work in the US without company sponsorship
- Experience in analog circuit design, including op-amps & comparators, control logic, signal conditioning, AC-DC, DC-AC, DC–DC power supply design, constant current source, EMI protection circuit design. full knowledge of LED operation and experience with LED drive circuits design.
- Proficiency in OrCAD schematic capture tool, Simetrix and PSpice and C programming.
- Experience in directing PCB layout work and performing PCB layout verifications. Good understanding of EMI minimization techniques in PCB layout, thermal management, PCB assembly processes.
- Experience with troubleshooting and solving problems related to circuit and system failures, EMI compliance, ESD immunity, , power line anomalies, Lightning, etc.
- Hands on experience in bench top prototype circuit verifications and trouble shooting, , familiar with electrical and electronics test equipment & measurement equipment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with emphasis on peer-to-peer and Engineer-to-Designer discussions.
- Technical management; Strong project management and organization skills.Timeliness of estimates and reports for engineering projects. Strong communication skills with emphasis on technical writing and presentation
- Must have the ability to function in a fast paced environment with minimal supervision, while performing multiple tasks.
- Leadership skills with strong customer presence; Analytical and Structured problem solving techniques and deployment of DFSS tools.
- Participation in lean (ELS) and safety (MESH) activities for the site.
- Electrical Engineering, experience with Aircraft Electrical System and aerospace application environment
- Knowledge of industry standards: RTCA DO-160, RTCA DO-254, MIL-STD-810, , MIL-STD-461 etc.
- Knowledge with DOORS for requirements management - Experience in Matlab / Simulink / LabView
- Experience in digital circuit design, microcontroller/DSP embedded circuit design, FPGA, PLD/CPLD,
- Knowledge of Enovia or other PDM system for documentation control and workflow