Saia, Inc. Employee Reviews

Saia LTL Freight formerly Saia Motor Freight
Operations Manager-Atlanta Break-Bulk (Former Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAMarch 8, 2013
I was promoted 5 times in 5 years but after my most recent promotion back to the terminal, I learned very fast that my new Terminal Manager was racist to say the least. I asked me to do things that were immoral and not ethical. I left the company because I refused to compromise my moralities and feelings towards colored people any longer. There is no work/lfe balance and when my father was dying of cancer and flat-lined on the table I came to the realization that this company does not care about their employees and had little to no regard that we as people do have families that come first over any job. The man even went as far as cutting back full-time employees hours because he said and I quote "here are too many nice cars in our parking lot...." When I went to my regional manager about my supervisors stating/thinking our new Terminal Manager was racist I was told that if I went to Human Resources or if the conversation lett the room he would not reconsider firing me and would be sure to find a valid reason to do so. After that, even though I was making great money, I knew it was no longer in my best interest to continue employment for a company that condoned those values/beliefs. It may be hard for me to make up the time I spent "climbing the corporate ladder" and having to live on a very tight budget, but I sleep better at night and feel it is/was the best decision I ever made to leave that company and find something new, even though I was promoted several times while with Saia, but after my newest promotion and 10-12 veterans leaving the company within a 6 month period,  more... I knew that by me resigning was in the best of my interest both professionally and morally....  less
Pros
you are not allowed to sit down and eat and 65-70 hour work weeks are mandatory not voluntary
Cons
lack of technology, lack of equipment, little to no regard to both salary and hourly employees, immoral values and compromising/non-ethical ways at making numbers
No regards for their employees
Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILDecember 15, 2012
Safety department is racist. They never want to listen to their employees and they will just shove you a form to sign, and if you don't they threat you that they will fire you on the spot. Wondering if I should sue them for the racism. Every time it gets closer to the winter season and they do not need so many people they will throw you out in the cold with out second thought. Never received my last pay check. When called HR they gave me a run around. Management is rude, and they do not care about their employees at all. They had a brochure on their website stating " every employee deserves to be treated with respect" and with that in mind you could complete ARC form and send it to the VP of HR for an appeal. Don't kid yourself. The number that they had to call for the form was for a building company and no one had knowledge of the form. Once received the form after calling around and sent it in (certified mail like they requested) nobody wanted to sign for it. Hope to receive my pay check one day. HORRIBLE COMPANY TO WORK FOR. ZERO RESPECT FOR PEOPLE.
Pros
insurance
Cons
safety department is racist and the management doesn't care about its employees.
Bad Management
Driver (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, Mi.September 10, 2013
Hired in for a local driver. Worked for 88 days, and was laid off before the 90 days was up so they wouldn't have to pay benefits. The warehouse loaded many of the trailers as- backwards, with the last load on the back of the trailer, and the first load in the front of the trailer. Multiple drops a day, up to 25, and then I was sent to pick up 5 or 6 more to bring back to the warehouse. Like a pizza delivery boy in a semi truck. Dispatch was very unorganized, she was a office girl given a new position into dispatch, and had no idea what she was doing. Sent out with no lift gate, with 20 delivery's of loaded sun glass cases, going to CVS stores, with no order of the shipment to be dropped. The pay was good, but it wasn't worth the stress demanded from a unorganized system. I heard that Saia, removed the management, and dispatch personal, so hopefully everything is much better now.
Pros
pay was good.
Cons
management & dispatch had no idea of how to run a professional trucking company
When the company was owned by family it was a joy to be a part of.
Houma, LA (Former Employee) –  Payroll SpecialistNovember 5, 2011
At one time working at Saia was a privlege. Very productive company, when sold we went from 12 terminals to 170 terminals. I worked there for 27 years in three different departments, loss and damage claims, switchboard and payroll. Before I left, Saia wasn't owned by anyone and was selling and trading its own stock. To think it all started with one truck owned by Mr. Saia going from Houma to New Orleans carrying food and dry goods. The most challenging time was when hurricane Katrina hit and all our computers were down. Payroll was processed by an average of what the drivers made the previous week. We had a payroll of over 5000 drivers. It was a real mess to deal with. I guess when they realized how difficult is to do payroll for so many without electricity, they decided to move the General Office to Atlanta, GA.
Pros
very good benefits and pay
Cons
not telling us the truth about moving
fast paced team work
Dock worker (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 7, 2013
Typical day at work as a team of three with a goal set to get the most trailers on the report at the end of the day, , we loaded semis for scheduled deliveries. a normal day was 30 trailers in 5Hrs.
I learned alot about teamwork and how to be effective as a team player.
I had some of the best Co-workers I could have asked for. we all got along, and still had a goodtime while being very productive.
hardest part of the job was dealing with the hot and cold weather outside on the dock area.
For me the most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the day coming in from the dock to turn in out trailer reports and hearing our general manager say, "great job today Scott." makes me proud of the fact that you can go home knowing the team had an exellent day.
benefits
Cons
having to wait on a late trailer to unload
Management has no clue!
City driver (Former Employee) –  Gardena, caOctober 1, 2015
The management here is really the issue. I watched a dispatcher ridicule a driver over the drivers ultra-Christian morals. The terminal managers answer to anything remotely challenging was "this is my first job man, I don't know what to tell you??", saving his own hide is his only concern and he does it very well. Will not stand up for his drivers lol the list goes on. Seriously, starting pay is 22.59 and if you can put up with the stress of not knowing if you are gonna work the next day because there aren't enough trucks or trailers or bills or whatever else could play out in the politics of this drama company then go for it. Overtime is hard to come by as is any sense of job security. Be sure to learn what favorites to play.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No job security, management
My opinion...worse place ever to work.
Management (Former Employee) –  Johns Creek GA.June 2, 2012
If you are looking for a management position in the transportation industry, don't consider this company. The upper management staff treat their people like dogs. Terminal Managers are expected to work 12-14 hours a day, with no lunch or dinner breaks, and remain available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by cell phone when not in the terminal. If you do manage to take a vacation day or two off, you must always be available to "work" by phone while out of the office. There is absolutley no respect for Terminal Managers. You will be expected to consistently reach their unrealistic goals while corporate refuses to supply enough equipment or people to make that happen.
Pros
decent benefits package
Cons
profane and disrespectful
Great place to make lots of money.
Supervisor/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJune 13, 2014
This is definitely one of the toughest jobs around in Texas.

Since this was an open warehouse job, I was exposed to the weather elements everyday. In the summer the trailers could reach 120+ degrees plus we had the exhaust of 70+ forklifts adding to that heat.

The work was pretty labor intensive and in a hostile environment. The pace was very fast and that caused most employees to become very high strung.

If you can focus and have self control at all times this is a great place to work at. If you are sensitive and take things personally you wont last a week, as the turn over rate here can prove.
Pros
great money and pleanty of hours.
Cons
hostile, exposed to the elements and the shift hours.
Busy workplace with a basketball court for recreation.
Spotter & Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Burr Ridge, ILOctober 7, 2012
The typical day of unloading freight from the dock
or trucks, loading freight onto outgoing trucks or storing in warehouse while keeping the pallets stacked and the workplace
orderly at all times. The management was mostly fair, and my co-workers and I learned that they were all about business. There was nothing hard about my job. I knew how to work with the
forklifts and I can also operate a crane. I truly enjoyed the job, the
hours were perfect for my personal situation, I loved what I was
doing, and felt great working for the Company and working with
my co-workers. I was employed with this Company for 15 years.
Pros
flexible hours.
Cons
nothing major.
Great Group of people on all shifts.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 25, 2012
What I love about Saia is every person in management understands that life happens sometimes. They know that there are times that things happen that are out of our control. A typical day is fast paced, seems like the time flies by usually. The hardest part would be the fact that we do work on a small dock which makes it hard to be safe one hundered percent of the time however i have worked here for eight months and have yet to see or hear of an accident. The most enjoyable part is all the people i work with are laid back and just a great group of people.
Pros
the compensation
Cons
they hire part time, you work your way to full time therefore there is no benefits such as insurance

Want to know more about Saia, Inc.?

Ask a question
Saia gets it: ‘take care of your employees and your business will succeed'
Terminal Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, RegionMay 2, 2015
The technology available at Saia is industry leading by far. This allows for concentrated focus on ensuring 100% customer satisfaction and taking care of the people that matter most, your employees. It's a great feeling everyday to know you do not have to worry about report after report. There is no need to use the outdated and ineffective managerial microscope with the tools you have available. All you have to do is line the team up in formation, run the play exactly and, the touchdowns come. The only thing to worry about is your customers and your employees.
Pros
Great leadership team, Great drivers, Great support staff
Cons
This would be a great place to work for students, drivers, and persons desiring a great paying position and without further education
Office Clerk/Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 16, 2012
SAIA was a very good opportunity for me to become financially stable, even with a part-time position. I loved the pay and with the exception of the bigots, thoroughly enjoyed the position of a fork lift operaqtor as it was the best labor intensive position I've ever had. Unfortunately, due to threats to my health via the transportation of fertilizers as well as many other hazardous chemicals, I was forced to resign my position.
Pros
great pay, plenty of overtime.
Cons
part time position, plagued by traditional southern mindsets (bigots).
I Loved what I did at this company.
OS&D Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 13, 2013
I started part time billing in the evenings. Moved up to the OS&D Clerk within months They made some huge changes in management, and did a ton of firing my terminal manager was moved to another location and the new terminal manager.and everyone in the office got everything to his liking then he along with dispatch and some dock people were fired. We had a couple temp Terminal Managers I gave a 30 day notice that I would be leaving. 2 days before my last day they hired someone to replace me and on my record they show me as fired. I have all my awards and the good work for them.
Pros
they are a good company, pay
Cons
do not follow through with paper work.
Loved working for this company.
Dispatcher/Dock Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 1, 2012
As a night dispatcher, had to enter information into computer and also make sure bills and freight matched on a given trailer. Making sure there were sufficient drivers to take freight to destination and to "move" trailer in computer system so the inboud freight could be received. Conversely, had to receive our freight coming into us. I also loaded trailers, help run the dock associates as Lead Man on dock. The management was great for the most part, and I loved the people that I worked with. This was an enjoyable job and only physically challenging, not hard neccesarily.
Pros
salary, insurance, people
Cons
break area
It was a great plce to work, I learned alot about customer service and freight coming and going in the company.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 17, 2014
Work started 7AM telephones started ringing and orders were coming in the get passed to us in customer service, we were arranging to the their product for point a to b in the least time available. This company was always going out of their way for us with cash incentives for trying to expedite shipments for client who need it to get there faster.
Pros
they gave us pissa partys, rewared for our work, and were just a good company to work for.
Cons
very demanding, little room for failure, so you were on your toes all the time, lots of stress.
not enough hours
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXJune 4, 2013
The management thinks that you can live off of 45hours a week here and be able to pay all of ur bills while ur bills constantly goes up but ur pay constantly goes down they bring u in around 9 to 10 in the morning when route is just being finished an they expect u to do ur 30 min pretrip an fill urtruck up for 15 mins an expect u to stay out all nite but everything closes around 5 and when u pick up u have to unload ur own trailer but they wanna pay u 21to 22 an hour but u dnt get no overtime cuse u stuck at 45hrs.
Pros
pay and the workers
Cons
the no nonesense plant manager that has never driven a truck smh
Top notch truck driving company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Tucson,AZApril 8, 2013
I have been with Saia for a little over 8 years now and have seen some ups and downs. However, through it all this company is still growing and becoming one of the best trucking companies out there! I've seen a lot of improvements over the years. This like any trucking company has it's issues but overall I believe it's still one of the best.
Pros
great compensation, good working environment, getting easier to talk to management about issues, and fantastic benefits
Cons
long hours (depending on run or route), linehaul personal and management can be difficult to deal with at times.
Good money, but never home and managers dont care.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 4, 2012
The money is great and so are the benefits. The hours are very bad. You will end up working nights with no sign of going to days. The terminal manager is a heartless person. The only thing he is worried about is saving his own job. He doesn't care if you are burned out and need a break from nights. Over all I would not suggest working for Saia unless you don't care about the hours and are single. This is not a job for a married man with kids. Yes the money is great, but again you will never see your family.
Pros
money/benefits
Cons
never home. in fear of your job all the time
Self motivated jobs to reduce safety incidents/accidents.
Regional Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 11, 2015
A typical day of work consisted of checking email, loading dock walks, and employee interaction. I would be involved with all accident and spill reporting/investigation. Rulings and discipline would be issued based on my recomendations to HR.

Management was involved, but let you learn as you go. My superior would allow me to handle most issues alone without their direct involvement.

I learned more about DOT and OSHA regulations.

I had not found the job to be difficult. i enjoyed going to work everyday.
Good place to work.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 11, 2014
A good LTL trucking company. You knew what kind of a day you were going to have when you got your work assignment for the day. Good or bad, you knew you were going to get to go home when you were done. SAIA was a fair place to work, everyone got to share in both the good, and not so good work assignments. Got to operate doubles. I received much experience working with Haz-mat. Good co- workers to work with. Management was not always so great. It seemed that when you did get a good manager they did not last long.
Pros
flex time ( personal days off ).
Cons
no assigned equipment.