Saia, Inc. Employee Reviews

Good Company & Competative Company
Driver Class (Current Employee) –  Sparks, NVSeptember 16, 2013
Have gained much knowledge through my working years with SAIA.
Benefits are great, Pay is very good.

I would rate this company on the above as a 5 star in all the catagories listed.

I tried to rate the 5 stars but it was not holding the clicks.
Pros
Management listens and good working conditions
Cons
The hours are long and hard on family life
Busy operation that gave its drivers their assignments and gave them the freedom to accomplish their jobs.
P/D Driver/Dock (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDApril 8, 2014
The money is great as well are the benefits. Managements mode of operation was to assist you in being successful at your job and had a very open line of communication.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
none that i can think of
Great Company but horrible management
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Johns Creek, GaMarch 26, 2015
Saia has great benefits but the management is horrible. Management is not friendly towards the workers, they are not sensitive towards employees needs...
Pros
Benefits...
Cons
Tensed Environment
Self motivated jobs to reduce safety incidents/accidents.
Regional Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 11, 2015
A typical day of work consisted of checking email, loading dock walks, and employee interaction. I would be involved with all accident and spill reporting/investigation. Rulings and discipline would be issued based on my recomendations to HR.

Management was involved, but let you learn as you go. My superior would allow me to handle most issues alone without their direct involvement.

I learned more about DOT and OSHA regulations.

I had not found the job to be difficult. i enjoyed going to work everyday.
People not held accountable
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 4, 2016
Working up to 20 hours a day, no time for family. Its seems there could be more structure and company procedures followed.
good place to work enjoyed it a great deal
dock supervisor (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 22, 2012
great place to work, management was good, very helpful when any problem occurred, drivers they are a great group of guys, office staff very good group thanks to all in the company that helped when I was there too bad the housing market busted
Pros
benefits, salary, training, management
Cons
?
fast paced team work
Dock worker (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 7, 2013
Typical day at work as a team of three with a goal set to get the most trailers on the report at the end of the day, , we loaded semis for scheduled deliveries. a normal day was 30 trailers in 5Hrs.
I learned alot about teamwork and how to be effective as a team player.
I had some of the best Co-workers I could have asked for. we all got along, and still had a goodtime while being very productive.
hardest part of the job was dealing with the hot and cold weather outside on the dock area.
For me the most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the day coming in from the dock to turn in out trailer reports and hearing our general manager say, "great job today Scott." makes me proud of the fact that you can go home knowing the team had an exellent day.
Benefits
Cons
having to wait on a late trailer to unload
Not easy to read the bills of lading
Data Entry - Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houma, LANovember 4, 2015
Data entry of all bills of lading, great management and co-workers, I found that the info to be entered was not clear at all times making job harder.
Cons
When the company was owned by family it was a joy to be a part of.
Houma, LA (Former Employee) –  Payroll SpecialistNovember 5, 2011
At one time working at Saia was a privlege. Very productive company, when sold we went from 12 terminals to 170 terminals. I worked there for 27 years in three different departments, loss and damage claims, switchboard and payroll. Before I left, Saia wasn't owned by anyone and was selling and trading its own stock. To think it all started with one truck owned by Mr. Saia going from Houma to New Orleans carrying food and dry goods. The most challenging time was when hurricane Katrina hit and all our computers were down. Payroll was processed by an average of what the drivers made the previous week. We had a payroll of over 5000 drivers. It was a real mess to deal with. I guess when they realized how difficult is to do payroll for so many without electricity, they decided to move the General Office to Atlanta, GA.
Pros
very good benefits and pay
Cons
not telling us the truth about moving
Busy workplace with a basketball court for recreation.
Spotter & Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Burr Ridge, ILOctober 7, 2012
The typical day of unloading freight from the dock
or trucks, loading freight onto outgoing trucks or storing in warehouse while keeping the pallets stacked and the workplace
orderly at all times. The management was mostly fair, and my co-workers and I learned that they were all about business. There was nothing hard about my job. I knew how to work with the
forklifts and I can also operate a crane. I truly enjoyed the job, the
hours were perfect for my personal situation, I loved what I was
doing, and felt great working for the Company and working with
my co-workers. I was employed with this Company for 15 years.
Pros
flexible hours.
Cons
nothing major.
Plenty of work
City driver (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 8, 2012
Plenty of work yr round but health insurance is lacking. Liberal personal time and overtime after 45 hrs. Sticklers on driver safety. Management is flexable
Pros
plenty of wrk. paid weekly, 401k match, pdo's
Cons
dont be late, aged equipment. harsh on all accidents
Good money, but never home and managers dont care.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 4, 2012
The money is great and so are the benefits. The hours are very bad. You will end up working nights with no sign of going to days. The terminal manager is a heartless person. The only thing he is worried about is saving his own job. He doesn't care if you are burned out and need a break from nights. Over all I would not suggest working for Saia unless you don't care about the hours and are single. This is not a job for a married man with kids. Yes the money is great, but again you will never see your family.
Pros
money/benefits
Cons
never home. in fear of your job all the time
not enough hours
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXJune 4, 2013
The management thinks that you can live off of 45hours a week here and be able to pay all of ur bills while ur bills constantly goes up but ur pay constantly goes down they bring u in around 9 to 10 in the morning when route is just being finished an they expect u to do ur 30 min pretrip an fill urtruck up for 15 mins an expect u to stay out all nite but everything closes around 5 and when u pick up u have to unload ur own trailer but they wanna pay u 21to 22 an hour but u dnt get no overtime cuse u stuck at 45hrs.
Pros
pay and the workers
Cons
the no nonesense plant manager that has never driven a truck smh
great place to work
warehouse associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 7, 2012
good people to work with good people in management met alot of different people from all over the U.S. bringing freight down to tampa
Pros
great pay and benifits
Cons
midnight work
Good place to work.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 11, 2014
A good LTL trucking company. You knew what kind of a day you were going to have when you got your work assignment for the day. Good or bad, you knew you were going to get to go home when you were done. SAIA was a fair place to work, everyone got to share in both the good, and not so good work assignments. Got to operate doubles. I received much experience working with Haz-mat. Good co- workers to work with. Management was not always so great. It seemed that when you did get a good manager they did not last long.
Pros
Flex time ( personal days off ).
Cons
No assigned equipment.
Stressful but great benefits
Special Services Rep (Former Employee) –  Johns Creek, GaJuly 15, 2014
It was a fast flowing job, answering calls one after the other. This made things very stressful but kept the day going by quick which sometimes was a good thing and sometimes a bad thing. I learned a lot on how to work with customers over the phone and how to accomplish goals in a quick timely manner. In this job you get fussed out by the customer a lot but having the co-workers around to help made this easier. Benefits were great and was ultimately what helped me come to work.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
very stressful, getting fussed out
Great Benefits
TL Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GADecember 28, 2011
I really liked the benefits package Saia provided.
The management was good to work with. They valued the job you did.
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
work level varied throughout dept
Good Part time job
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAMarch 20, 2013
A Typical day at Saia was getting a forklift and unloading and loading as many trucks as possible. I learned how to operate a forklift and load and unload trucks. The management made sure to tell you that you need work fast but safe and when you do good give the dock BBQ and power-aid the hardest part of the job was the weather cause if its hot out side you burn up and if its cold you freeze. The most enjoyable part of my job was the friendly competition to see who could do the most in a day or month.
Pros
great pay
Cons
weather and hard to become full time
Good company!!
Receptionist/Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GA 30097October 2, 2013
I worked for SAIA as a receptionist part-time, but decided to retire. It was a fun company to work for, and I had received a very good raise!
productive work place
Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 28, 2012
I have learned and gained great exp.. Saia is a great place to work just no benefits nbad management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Saia, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.