Saia Ltl Freight

Saia Ltl Freight Employer Reviews

Great benefits and compensation with a great growth model.
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: compensation, company car, president's club, benefits
Cons: service issues, micro-management, senior management
Overall a strong force in the trucking industry with a huge investment on technology and equipment. Pay and recognition program is industry leading with strong base, company car provided and aggressive bonus structure.
Fair compensation, slow to change with industry, poor equipment
Combination Driver (Current Employee), Dallas, TXDecember 30, 2014
Pros: reach top pay quickly, local management is supportive.
Cons: management doesn't listen to suggestions and corporate office is clueless beyond metrix results.
Duties of the job are simple; however, the attitude of the dispatch make the job challenging. Opinion would be much better if equipment was improved.
If you enjoy The Good Ol Boy Mindset, you've come to the right place!
Sales Support (Former Employee), Johns Creek, GADecember 15, 2014
Pros: decent pay
Cons: unwillingness to embrace change, awful management, toxic attitudes of some co-workers
Saia has proven to be the place that has it all: office politics, favoritism, two-faced co-workers (at least some from my team), good ol' boy management style (where they look out for each other with no regards to the people who work under them), and disregard to the customer. My personal favorite was when I had a discussion with my manager and he said "why should I care what the customer thinks?" To be fair, sometimes customer requests can be unreasonable. However, the customer is the reason we have jobs in the business world, so it's foolish to completely dismiss their requests or concerns. Also, if you have a problem with management, just look for a different job. Don't waste your time going to HR. You will be guaranteed to get the axe!
Fun, productive.
Forklift operator (Current Employee), Toledo, OHNovember 12, 2014
Advanced quickly, good positive atmosphere. Good rapport with customers.
GREAT
Dock Worker/Forklift Driver (Former Employee), Broussard, LANovember 11, 2014
Saia is a great place to work with incentives that motivates you to grow with the company
Good pay bad work environment
PT biller (Current Employee), AtlantaOctober 28, 2014
Pros: nice offices
Cons: stressful and hostile work environment
The pay for PT biller is excellent
However unless you have very thick skin and can take constant negative feedback sometimes being yelled to you
This job is not for you.
Motivates by embarrassment (being mgr comes to your desk to call you into conference room ) everyone knows why.
Most feed back you get on your work performance is daily and negative
Audits
Sr Reps constantly bring you errors you can't correct because it's days after you have billed them
When you go to ask dr reps questions they are less than friendly
AS 400 system is never updated with new shoppers or consigned unless you stop billing and take the time to find 3 bills that have come thru to get them added
Auditors ding you for very petty things confusing obls no standard obl system
Share desk with daytime csr but can't put any of your own things on desk

Constant fear of being fired
They pay you well because job is way more stressful than most
compeitive self motivated sales position to manage and gain accounts.
Outside sales representative (Current Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 23, 2014
Pros: free lunches, free vehicle and gas, bonus opportunities
My current position:

Field sales representative at Saia LTL Freight. I manage and grow all the accounts in my assigned geographic territory. I call plan with my CRM and update call information via CRM. I am expected to see 40 customers a week, and close pipelines to generate growth in my territory. I also negotiate pricing for accounts and coordinate the operational processes that follow. With my job, I am expected to take customers on entertainments weekly, with my company credit card.

While at Saia I have been honored to receive Presidents club the past consecutive three quarters, along with bonus payouts.
Saia LTL Freight Review
Dock worker (Current Employee), Dearborn, MISeptember 17, 2014
Pros: laid back work environment
Cons: weather conditions
Laid back work environment

I have learn a lot about the Freight business

Managements Great

My Co worker are great, we all work hard to get the job done

The hardest part about work is the weather conditions and adjusting

Thats it quick, and great pay and the company appreicates their employees.
blah
driver (Former Employee), tifton gaAugust 13, 2014
Pros: its a job
Cons: terminal manager was unprofessional and a joke.
Horrible, place to work. not professional and you could forget about having a good idea about a issue
hard worker and dedicated
HOSLER DRIVER/ FORKLIFT OPERATOR (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 11, 2014
Pros: family enviroment good peers
Cons: tight area small dock location
loved the job and supervisors was very respectable. very organized

loved the atmosphere
A good place to work
Business Acqisition Representative (Current Employee), Johns Creek, GAJuly 16, 2014
Pros: base pay is good
Cons: bonuses are hard to obtain
I enjoy the people here, and the job is good for transportaion industry. a typical day here is inside sales all day. Management is a open door policy.
Fun Place to Obtain Work Experience
Operations/Dispatching Clerk (Current Employee), CaliforniaJuly 7, 2014
great company to work for. Room to grow amazing management and an understanding that your job is not a prority over family.
city driver
City Driver (Former Employee), Ellenwood, GAJune 17, 2014
on a daily i pretrip tractor and trailer, get the route from dispatch, strap down any loose or hazardous materials, make sure all paper work matches manifest then head out to start the day.
Worst Freight job I have had.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJune 11, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: everything else. bad work enviroment. long hours. changes never made..
There is a reason this company pays the way they do.. If not, they would have no employees.. That goes for dock workers, drivers, and supervisors. They push their employees beyond limits, full time employees to be exact. If you are part good, its a good job as they cant force you to stay like the others.

Their culture is to push their employees beyond breaking because they wont hire as many employees as they need. Same goes with equipment. Employees stand around waiting on equipment or get sent home as the company believes less is more apparently.

Upper management wont change their tactics. Managers and supervisors aren't allowed to run things the way they know it should be run, which is turn causes backlogs, employees to quit, and freight not to be delivered in a timely manner.

As a supervisor I talked to customers a number of times a day asking why their freight was not delivered. All I could say was it was put out, unfortunately for some unknown reason it was not delivered. This was caused by to much freight and not enough drivers. I came into a load of problems everyday caused by not enough drivers. And they wonder why there are so many complaints... Upper Management just says get it delivered without giving any more resources or a helping hand.

This company is a joke.. DO NOT APPLY FOR A JOB HERE. All the good reviews are by either part time employees which don't see the real problems at this company, or are employees from their Home Office writing good reviews as part of their jobs..
Worst Trucking Job I Have Ever Had
Class A Driver (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OhJune 5, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: everything else
This company pays 20.21 hr for a reason. If they didn't pay that much then the company would have zero drivers. Let's start with the terminal manager: very nice person but he had one foot out the door. All this Manager cared about was getting promoted to corporate. He didn't care about u as a driver and he didn't care about the customer. He didn't solve any problems at the Cincinnati terminal like late deliveries, late customer pickups, residential deliveries, personal time off, driver safety. I worked at this terminal for 3 months as a driver. Everyday I was late delivering and late picking up because of how the trailers were loaded. A 70 mile route would turn out to be 170 miles because of how the trailer was loaded. My first stop would be in Covington and then my next stop would be in Hebron or Walton 20 to 30 miles apart. Then back to Covington. I once delivered at the convington convention center it was my first stop of the day. Across the street is the Marriott it would be stop number 15 my last stop and the freight would be in the nose. It didn't make since, why not put them both on the tail of trailer and deliver them stop #1 and #2. Drivers only have 14 hrs to drive and work but they didn't care. Most companies stop receiving about 2pm. If you get to ur first stop at 9am then you only have 5 hours to deliver. This company don't care bc no matter what to save money you will have a trailer loaded front to back with 15 to 20 deliveries. No driver in the world can deliver 15 to 20 stops in 5 hours and drive 170 to 200 miles in 5 hours. It can't be done. Only reason they – more... did this was bc when the customer tracked their freight online with a pro number it would look like it was gonna be delivered but most of the time we didn't have enough time deliver everything on our route. My dispatcher sent me to this customer, I had 15 pallets for them. The appointment time was 11am. My dispatcher didn't give me the load until 2pm. Not a happy customer when I showed up. I can't repeat the things she called Saia. This happened repeatedly 2 to 3 times a week. Ive been driving for several years. Only worked worked for 3 trucking companies. My last job lasted for 5 years. I quit this job in 3 months because I was embarrassed to wear the uniform.

I really wish this job would of worked out bc they do have great benefits and top notch pay. It's a life changer. They have geat equipment and a huge terminal in Cincinnati. Saia has everything to be great and run out the competition, All they need now is great service. As a driver I want to provide a top notch service to every customers. I don't want to be ever late for a pickup or deliver. I care if the freight arrives not damaged. I guess that's why they hired me. But I have a Fault (I CARE ABOUT MY JOB AND MY CUSTOMERS) I specially care about the service I'm providing to the people paying for it. Its fulfilling to know you did a great job. I don't recommend this job to anyone. Even though it pays 20.21 they are gonna ask you to deliver in places u shouldn't and you will be risking your CDL. After so many violations no other carrier will ever hire you.

All the Great and Good reviews from Saia are from Corporate and Managers. They are not from previous or real people. – less
Good pay and benefits. Dishonest management.
Driver (Current Employee), Columbus, OhJune 1, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits.
Cons: long hours. away from home all week.
This comp. does not respect honesty. You can get fired for being honest. If you mess up, you might as well lie and deny and take you chances. If they accidently pay you too much, keep quiet. H.R. is a poor excuse for their so called "open door" policy. They want you to "talk" to them so they have more ammo to dump you. They brag about their grievance policy being like the unions. Its completely rigged against you. Its no wonder they're begging for drivers.
Great Job
Dock Worker (Current Employee), Toledo, OHApril 20, 2014
Good pay good hours for a part time job. The people where nice and professional.
n/a
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAMarch 30, 2014
I would typically arrive at work check computer for outbound freight then check with dock workers to supervise loading of freight onto outbound trailers. After doing safety inspections of both truck and trailer and hooking up equipment I would leave on my run. after arriving at my first stop I would check computer for any freight that has to be loaded or unladed. I would transfer freight to and from trailer then remanifest trailer and proceed onto next stop. this process was repeated three times before I would return to my home terminal.
Good coworkers, management out of the loop a little
Sales (Current Employee), GeorgiaMarch 17, 2014
Pros: good compensation
Cons: very little advancement oppurtunity
great coworkers, still need to get it together on the operations and being able to address concerns
Overall good company to work for
Commercial Driver (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2014
Over road commercial truck driver. Good company top pay. I enjoy working with my husband. I've learned manage my time and how to parallel park a big rig.