Saia LTL Freight Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and friendly work environment.
Dockworker (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAApril 26, 2016
I enjoyed working there as a dockworker because it challenged you to be a better dockworker everyday. Their mission statement was solely built on ensuring customer satisfaction through their best quality service in class. Understanding this helped shape my working environment by taking better care of customers freight. Supervisor and other dockworkers were very helpful. Upper management were very aware of the productivity in its region and company wide. Wages and benefits were very competitive and they believed in reinvesting into their company.
Pros
Establishing relationships and a helpful management team, Pay was great and overtime was there if needed.
Cons
Weather slowing truck drivers down causing delays in the work place.
False promises
Local City P/D Driver (Current Employee) –  Grayslake, ILMarch 11, 2016
After just six months with this company I was fed up with its upside down management. If you are a safety-minded driver this will not be a good fit for you. Dispatcher will tell you to make deliveries with 48" van on streets that trouble even 26" straight trucks. If a tell them it is not safe to do so they will tell you how they can do it, and then threaten to write you up for refusing. While in line haul I was promised a set run, after accepting the position was then told I would actually be a system driver and was given poor miles if any.
benefits
Cons
almost everyone in the office side of the business
Normal LTL freight
P&D Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COFebruary 13, 2016
If you like playing musical trucks this is the place to work. No regular maintenance is done to trucks. You run it until it breaks, or you have to put it out of service so that the electronic logs wont allow it to be used. Salary is right on par with other LTL carriers. The benefits package is probably one of the best in the industry. I worked at a smaller terminal and it was the unwanted child. The manager that over saw our terminal shows no real care for this location. You will work here as long as you dont make mistakes.
benefits
Cons
no truck maintenance, bad work place attitude
Hostile Work Environment
city driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 24, 2016
If you are looking for a hostile work place, with a disrespectful dispatcher, and a management team that will throw you under the bus, then this is the place for you. Saia will hire you just for the busy season and then you will be laid off in the fall. Do not apply for this job. The benefits are good; however, you want be there long enough to use them. The trucks are very bad and the work hours are horrible. This job is not worth you taking the time to apply, they try to wow you with the starting pay, but in the end you will regret it. DONT APPLY!!!!!
Cons
Hostile work place, Long hours bad dispatcher, management team that will throw you under the bus
Good job,extremely poor management
Receiver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAJanuary 23, 2016
Poor leadership from top to bottom.Dock workers do a great job but it is never enough.You can be let go at any time seniority has nothing to do with you keeping your job.Poor employee relations,managers blame all problems on dock workers,never enough equipment to do the job,you are constantly pressured and threatened for production and you are treated like you are just stupid.Former worker for this company with high turnover rate.
Pros
part timer can earn vacation days
Cons
Poor working environment for all dock workers
Enjoyable doesn't feel like work anymore
City Driver (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 26, 2016
Good work place with very supportive manger. The motivation and work atmosphere here is great, really keeps you on your toes at all times but fair. A great place to learn from all the various types of people that surround you.
Pros
Manager lets you make decisions
Cons
Parking area hrs change with freight
Saia had a lot of overtime which i loved. However, did not like being left alone on the east-side. That area is way to spread out for one driver
Truck Driver on East Side (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 6, 2016
A typical work day for me was about 11 hours a day pulling two trailers everyday while driving 150 miles a day. Management was overall good but did not want to send me help. Co-workers were great and still am currently in touch with some. The hardest part of the east-side was getting back to Woodinville by 3 for pick-ups. The most enjoyable part of this job was basically being my own boss(I was pretty much in charge of myself as well as a lot of other drivers I'm sure). I learned a lot of different areas and got plenty of experience. The regret I have was being forced to take the East-side route and being left alone out there.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Early pickups
Positive place to work
Dock Loader (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 7, 2016
Load and unload trailers learned different hazmat to put together management was very vocal on how to do you job duties. Co worker help and provide great feedback the hardest part of the job was that it was part time. I enjoyed the open door policy.
Pros
learn about diffrent freight
Cons
no room to grow
Good company, great benefits
Freight Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 5, 2016
Each day offered different challenges. Management was understanding and knowledgeable of the issues that can and would occur. The co-workers were all friendly and helpful. The most difficult part of the job was making due with the equipment that was issued. The best part of the position was the feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day.
Pros
Co-worker attitudes
Cons
Dated equipment
Typical sales day
Sales Representative/Natl Sales/Corporate Trainer (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 31, 2016
I setup my planned calls for the next few weeks and also handle current weeks calls with planned discussion topics. I will also resolve any issues that linger from the previous weeks.
Pros
Ability to meet people and grow my business profitable
Cons
Not enough time in the day to get things done
Productive fast paced
Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 19, 2016
Input invoices from city p&d, answer heavy phone calls, assist with overages, and shortages on freight. Help city dispatch with pick-ups

Team players are a must to accomplish a great working place

No room for advancement, hours cut
Pros
able to work without supervision
Cons
hours cut and no overtime allowed
Great Job
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 17, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Saia and only left to further my education. Hands down the best coworkers I have had the pleasure of working with outside of the military.
Pros
Great company very good staff
Cons
Long Shifts
False hopes about retiring
Pickup & Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Henderson, CONovember 20, 2015
Although I worked there less than a year I was told from the beginning that I could retire there. I was promised a fair shake and told I was doing great...until I was laid off due to lack of work. I was at a higher pay scale because of my experience so was the 1st to get let go so new guys could be hired right out of school.
Inferior product and service
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 24, 2016
Other national and regional carriers provide better service and competence. Website is not user friendly and is more challenging for customers to work with than main competitor websites.
No good but great pay!
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  West Chester, OHMarch 8, 2016
... Not good but great pay
and I don't feel like writing more for this review so I have to put at least 20 words to complete it blah
Pros
Great Pay, starting at $15.84 an hour
Cons
Work/Life balance sucks and the hours suck
Dock worker
Dock worker/ Forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIOctober 24, 2015
Driving a a hi-lo is fun but challenging sometimes. It takes a tough person to survive the winters. You have to know how operate a forklift as if it was second nature. You also have to protect and fix fright all the time. Its a good job for students or a step in door towards driving a trucking or advancing in the company other ways
Pros
good pay, management, workers
Cons
Winters, no insurance
horrible
City driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 14, 2016
Saia is an awful awful place. The tress is horrible and favoritism like you would believe. This was one of the worst experiences I've had at a job. HORRIBLE!!!!
Pros
Cons
Stress. very bad place to work
Management has no clue!
City driver (Former Employee) –  Gardena, caOctober 1, 2015
The management here is really the issue. I watched a dispatcher ridicule a driver over the drivers ultra-Christian morals. The terminal managers answer to anything remotely challenging was "this is my first job man, I don't know what to tell you??", saving his own hide is his only concern and he does it very well. Will not stand up for his drivers lol the list goes on. Seriously, starting pay is 22.59 and if you can put up with the stress of not knowing if you are gonna work the next day because there aren't enough trucks or trailers or bills or whatever else could play out in the politics of this drama company then go for it. Overtime is hard to come by as is any sense of job security. Be sure to learn what favorites to play.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No job security, management
Summary
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 9, 2016
Saia is a very solid workplace and offers upward mobility. They are a fast paced service driven organization. The work environment is serious and requires attention to detail.
productive
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 2, 2015
Saia provided a fast paced work environment with good benefits. I learned a lot about transportation operations. My co-workers were unique in a lot of ways. But management lacked how to lead. Most tried to manage by intimidation. But overall it was a good learning experience.
Pros
Good pay. Good benefits
Cons
Poor management