Saia Ltl Freight

Saia Ltl Freight Employer Reviews

city driver
City Driver (Former Employee), Ellenwood, GAJune 17, 2014
on a daily i pretrip tractor and trailer, get the route from dispatch, strap down any loose or hazardous materials, make sure all paper work matches manifest then head out to start the day.
Worst Freight job I have had.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJune 11, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: everything else. bad work enviroment. long hours. changes never made..
There is a reason this company pays the way they do.. If not, they would have no employees.. That goes for dock workers, drivers, and supervisors. They push their employees beyond limits, full time employees to be exact. If you are part good, its a good job as they cant force you to stay like the others.

Their culture is to push their employees beyond – more... breaking because they wont hire as many employees as they need. Same goes with equipment. Employees stand around waiting on equipment or get sent home as the company believes less is more apparently.

Upper management wont change their tactics. Managers and supervisors aren't allowed to run things the way they know it should be run, which is turn causes backlogs, employees to quit, and freight not to be delivered in a timely manner.

As a supervisor I talked to customers a number of times a day asking why their freight was not delivered. All I could say was it was put out, unfortunately for some unknown reason it was not delivered. This was caused by to much freight and not enough drivers. I came into a load of problems everyday caused by not enough drivers. And they wonder why there are so many complaints... Upper Management just says get it delivered without giving any more resources or a helping hand.

This company is a joke.. DO NOT APPLY FOR A JOB HERE. All the good reviews are by either part time employees which don't see the real problems at this company, or are employees from their Home Office writing good reviews as part of their jobs.. – less
Worst Trucking Job I Have Ever Had
Class A Driver (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OhJune 5, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: everything else
This company pays 20.21 hr for a reason. If they didn't pay that much then the company would have zero drivers. Let's start with the terminal manager: very nice person but he had one foot out the door. All this Manager cared about was getting promoted to corporate. He didn't care about u as a driver and he didn't care about the customer. He didn't solve – more... any problems at the Cincinnati terminal like late deliveries, late customer pickups, residential deliveries, personal time off, driver safety. I worked at this terminal for 3 months as a driver. Everyday I was late delivering and late picking up because of how the trailers were loaded. A 70 mile route would turn out to be 170 miles because of how the trailer was loaded. My first stop would be in Covington and then my next stop would be in Hebron or Walton 20 to 30 miles apart. Then back to Covington. I once delivered at the convington convention center it was my first stop of the day. Across the street is the Marriott it would be stop number 15 my last stop and the freight would be in the nose. It didn't make since, why not put them both on the tail of trailer and deliver them stop #1 and #2. Drivers only have 14 hrs to drive and work but they didn't care. Most companies stop receiving about 2pm. If you get to ur first stop at 9am then you only have 5 hours to deliver. This company don't care bc no matter what to save money you will have a trailer loaded front to back with 15 to 20 deliveries. No driver in the world can deliver 15 to 20 stops in 5 hours and drive 170 to 200 miles in 5 hours. It can't be done. Only reason they did this was bc when the customer tracked their freight online with a pro number it would look like it was gonna be delivered but most of the time we didn't have enough time deliver everything on our route. My dispatcher sent me to this customer, I had 15 pallets for them. The appointment time was 11am. My dispatcher didn't give me the load until 2pm. Not a happy customer when I showed up. I can't repeat the things she called Saia. This happened repeatedly 2 to 3 times a week. Ive been driving for several years. Only worked worked for 3 trucking companies. My last job lasted for 5 years. I quit this job in 3 months because I was embarrassed to wear the uniform.

I really wish this job would of worked out bc they do have great benefits and top notch pay. It's a life changer. They have geat equipment and a huge terminal in Cincinnati. Saia has everything to be great and run out the competition, All they need now is great service. As a driver I want to provide a top notch service to every customers. I don't want to be ever late for a pickup or deliver. I care if the freight arrives not damaged. I guess that's why they hired me. But I have a Fault (I CARE ABOUT MY JOB AND MY CUSTOMERS) I specially care about the service I'm providing to the people paying for it. Its fulfilling to know you did a great job. I don't recommend this job to anyone. Even though it pays 20.21 they are gonna ask you to deliver in places u shouldn't and you will be risking your CDL. After so many violations no other carrier will ever hire you.

All the Great and Good reviews from Saia are from Corporate and Managers. They are not from previous or real people. – less
Good pay and benefits. Dishonest management.
Driver (Current Employee), Columbus, OhJune 1, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits.
Cons: long hours. away from home all week.
This comp. does not respect honesty. You can get fired for being honest. If you mess up, you might as well lie and deny and take you chances. If they accidently pay you too much, keep quiet. H.R. is a poor excuse for their so called "open door" policy. They want you to "talk" to them so they have more ammo to dump you. They brag about their grievance – more... policy being like the unions. Its completely rigged against you. Its no wonder they're begging for drivers. – less
Great Job
Dock Worker (Current Employee), Toledo, OHApril 20, 2014
Good pay good hours for a part time job. The people where nice and professional.
n/a
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAMarch 30, 2014
I would typically arrive at work check computer for outbound freight then check with dock workers to supervise loading of freight onto outbound trailers. After doing safety inspections of both truck and trailer and hooking up equipment I would leave on my run. after arriving at my first stop I would check computer for any freight that has to be loaded – more... or unladed. I would transfer freight to and from trailer then remanifest trailer and proceed onto next stop. this process was repeated three times before I would return to my home terminal. – less
Good coworkers, management out of the loop a little
Sales (Current Employee), GeorgiaMarch 17, 2014
Pros: good compensation
Cons: very little advancement oppurtunity
great coworkers, still need to get it together on the operations and being able to address concerns
Overall good company to work for
Commercial Driver (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2014
Over road commercial truck driver. Good company top pay. I enjoy working with my husband. I've learned manage my time and how to parallel park a big rig.
good place to work bad management no communication
Dockworker (Current Employee), Indianapolis,InFebruary 8, 2014
bad management don't practice safety like they should only care about getting the frieght out try to work part time employees 10hrs everyday.
Good, steady job
Dock/ Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: odd shift schedules
Good job, great compensation, automatic raises, emphasize quick work, willing to work with you on hours if you are part time.
Love it
Dock Worker (Part-Time) (Current Employee), New Orleans, LADecember 20, 2013
Pros: sometimes the trailers are small and neat
Cons: no breaks for part times
Its a great part time job that pays alot as a part timer and is hard to find. Its a great starting job.
high paying driving job
line driver (Current Employee), OregonOctober 28, 2013
Pros: pay, benefits
Cons: work nights, 2 years to make full pay
Being a line driver means you will mostly work nights. Saia is making money and investing it its equipment and terminals. They treat you well and provide a good place to work. They are a Corp. enviroment but dont hammer that down your throats. Co-works are freindly and helpful. As long as you drive safely and do your job, they leave you alone.
Constant flow of work and management complaints
PT Dockworker (Former Employee), Fontana, CASeptember 19, 2013
While work flows and production numbers were maintained monthly, management complaints by employees have been on the rise for the past 2 years. Although the company paid higher wages than most competitors, the additional pressure and scrutiny by management was not worth it and unnecessary.
Productive place to work
PT Dock Worker (Current Employee), Conover, NCSeptember 5, 2013
Pros: experience(s)
Cons: no healthcare benefits for pt dockworkers
While working at SAIA, I have learned how to properly load all types of freight including HAZMAT onto trailers using straps, loading bars, etc.I really enjoy meeting the daily production goal(s) with a limited time frame in which to do it.
Great company, good rewards
professional position at corporate office (Current Employee), Johns Creek, GAAugust 26, 2013
Pros: great place for a career, best benefits
Cons: more vacation time
Saia is great company to work for - if you work hard they take care of you and promote you. They have the best benefits and seem to really care about their employees.
An okay temp job but not a good long term job
Dock Worker (Part-Time) (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAAugust 12, 2013
Pros: nice coworkers
Cons: short breaks and limited hours and no advancement oppotunities
Its okay the work day is long and tiring. I learned alot about moving different freight. Also about bills of landing along with the system we run on.
work in a small terminal
Dockworker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJune 14, 2013
Pros: good start pay
Cons: if part time you get no breaks
mainly drive in a fork lift all day
recoup damaged freight
co-workers joking around with each other
managers are not strict
Fun, Productive and Fast-Paced
Dock Worker (Current Employee), West Chester, OHApril 19, 2013
Pros: free coffee, decent pay
Cons: no health benefits or over-time
Loading and Unloading Freights
Data-entry Operation of Fork Lift
Easy Going, just get the Job done
Friendly, Helpful, Hard Working and Productive
Fixing damaged or Relocating Freight from an Incorrect Trailer
Time Consuming Hours feel like minutes
Good company to work for, excellent service.
Senior Sales Executive (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 15, 2013
Pros: insuarance, company car, expense account, vacation time, easy access to upper management.
Cons: micro management.
I enjoyed working at SAIA due to the fact that the people in the Houston area made it very easy to like the work place. From the Regional Operations Manager to the Regional Sales Manager to the parttime dock and office personnel.
Typical day at work was daily at the office before heading out to begin my day on the street selling and securing new customers – more... for SAIA.
Our customer staff and sales staff worked hard to ensure the best customer service in the industry.
While my time with SAIA in Houston, I learned all about the SAIA culture and selling for an aggressive service oriented company.Especially on our next day and two day lanes.
Most enjoyable to me was the very strong internal and external relationships I formed while there. – less