Saint Dominic's Home

Saint Dominic's Home Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Co-Workers Make Work Environment better
Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 22, 2015
Best part is the flexible schedule. No micro-managing
Typical day varied based on how you scheduled it
Not all administrators were helpful
Co-Workers made work environment better
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
All higher ups arent approachable
SDH is a nice place to work.
Administrative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  853 longwood ave.July 16, 2015
SDH is a fast paced energy driven environment. I have learned a great deal about balancing multiple tasks at once. I have lerned how to create a great balance of being firm and friendly. My co-workers are great people and pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job is the fact that there is not enough time in the day to complete everything. The most enjoyable patr of the job is the people that I service everyday.
Great company
Case Planner (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 1, 2015
Excellent company, where any body can gain experience by been open to learn.
Great environment with coworker.
all the beginnings are hard but this company open the door to any body who is willing to learn what is a Family Foster Care.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Productive and fun work place
Resident counselor (Former Employee) –  Blauvelt, NYApril 7, 2015
Enjoyed working in this type of home setting environment. It allowed clients to be themselves and remind them they are special like everyone else.
Supervisor Foster Care
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Foster care programJanuary 14, 2015
I worked at Saint Dominics for years and loved the work, the learning and my coworkers. Sadly they have a completely new management team who know nothing about the work and a Director who is deceitful, dishonest, a liar and a thief. The upper management does not care about the foster care program and is clueless to what is going on right under their noses. Sadly this program is not likely to last much longer under this incompetent new leadership. Don't apply here, they are not pro staff and they are not supportive.
Pros
coworkers, salary
Cons
management, upper management, human resources
Pending on who you're working with
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Blauvelt, NYSeptember 30, 2014
Decent experience managements are horrible and have no respect for staff nor understand staffs difficulties.
Saint Dominic's Home serves the underdeserved.
Case Planner, Youth & Family Services (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 24, 2014
A typical day at SDH varies from one extreme to the other. You learn a lot about the child welfare system from legal to permanency. However, there is not much support in the foster care agency. On the other hand, we have co-workers who genuinely care about the job and the children we care for. The hardest part of the job is terminating parental rights and seeing the depravity in the dysfuntion in families who are not apt to change. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you make a child feel worthy as an individual and not looked as a "foster child". We truly have some special children that need care and love from those of us who work at this agneyc.
Case worker for foster care
TFBH Case Planner /Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 22, 2013
I was assigned a case load where I was required to monitor safety in the home, provide referrals and recommendation for services including substance abuse and housing, I enjoyed helping others, working with various families of different cultures and background. My co-workers were great and we got along well and I enjoyed going to work daily.

The hardest part was that I had a big case load, had meetings/conferences and, attended court hearing and at was required to write and submit reports and FASPs and sometimes needed extra time to complete all the above assignments
Management has much to be desired
Residence Counselor (Former Employee) –  Blauvelt, NYJanuary 6, 2013
I have been for this company for five years. There was a woman who did not like me so she caused problems for me. She has a lot less time there than I do. The company took her unfounded side. Not getting into personal details, I had many situations like the one that just happened. The management took her side because of her ethnicity, not credentials or any other professional reasons. I have a Master's Degree, and I have been treated like a lower person because of the mere fact that I am Caucasian. Similar situations have occurred throughout my tenure at Saint Dominic's, so I can say that it is not remotely a good place to work. This is a terrible place to work, and I do not suggest anybody even put in an application to work there.
Pros
free meals, decent benefits
Cons
bad management, difficult to get things done for yourself.
Overload
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Blauvelt, NYNovember 5, 2012
In a constant state of putting out brush fires in the middle of a forest fire. Although coworkers in each department are quite family like the pay doesn't come close to compensating all the overtime required to meet the job responsibilities.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
often not enough time to take lunch
Pay is low, but I loved working here!
Admin Support (Former Employee) –  Blauvelt, NYOctober 18, 2012
Loved my time at Saint Dominic's. It's a nonprofit, so the salaries are low, but I got great experience and my supervisor was amazing.
Pros
great professional growth, employees very committed to work
Cons
low pay, benefits were ok