Saint Dominic's Home

Saint Dominic's Home Employee Reviews

Supervisor Foster Care
Supervisor (Former Employee), Foster care programJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: coworkers, salary
Cons: management, upper management, human resources
I worked at Saint Dominics for years and loved the work, the learning and my coworkers. Sadly they have a completely new management team who know nothing about the work and a Director who is deceitful, dishonest, a liar and a thief. The upper management does not care about the foster care program and is clueless to what is going on right under their noses. Sadly this program is not likely to last much longer under this incompetent new leadership. Don't apply here, they are not pro staff and they are not supportive.
Pending on who you're working with
Residential Counselor (Former Employee), Blauvelt, NYSeptember 30, 2014
Decent experience managements are horrible and have no respect for staff nor understand staffs difficulties.
Saint Dominic's Home serves the underdeserved.
Case Planner, Youth & Family Services (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJune 24, 2014
A typical day at SDH varies from one extreme to the other. You learn a lot about the child welfare system from legal to permanency. However, there is not much support in the foster care agency. On the other hand, we have co-workers who genuinely care about the job and the children we care for. The hardest part of the job is terminating parental rights and seeing the depravity in the dysfuntion in families who are not apt to change. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you make a child feel worthy as an individual and not looked as a "foster child". We truly have some special children that need care and love from those of us who work at this agneyc.
Case worker for foster care
TFBH Case Planner /Caseworker (Former Employee), Bronx, NYAugust 22, 2013
I was assigned a case load where I was required to monitor safety in the home, provide referrals and recommendation for services including substance abuse and housing, I enjoyed helping others, working with various families of different cultures and background. My co-workers were great and we got along well and I enjoyed going to work daily.

The hardest part was that I had a big case load, had meetings/conferences and, attended court hearing and at was required to write and submit reports and FASPs and sometimes needed extra time to complete all the above assignments
Management has much to be desired
Residence Counselor (Former Employee), Blauvelt, NYJanuary 6, 2013
Pros: free meals, decent benefits
Cons: bad management, difficult to get things done for yourself.
I have been for this company for five years. There was a woman who did not like me so she caused problems for me. She has a lot less time there than I do. The company took her unfounded side. Not getting into personal details, I had many situations like the one that just happened. The management took her side because of her ethnicity, not credentials or any other professional reasons. I have a Master's Degree, and I have been treated like a lower person because of the mere fact that I am Caucasian. Similar situations have occurred throughout my tenure at Saint Dominic's, so I can say that it is not remotely a good place to work. This is a terrible place to work, and I do not suggest anybody even put in an application to work there.
Overload
Assistant Director (Former Employee), Blauvelt, NYNovember 5, 2012
Pros: coworkers
Cons: often not enough time to take lunch
In a constant state of putting out brush fires in the middle of a forest fire. Although coworkers in each department are quite family like the pay doesn't come close to compensating all the overtime required to meet the job responsibilities.
Pay is low, but I loved working here!
Admin Support (Former Employee), Blauvelt, NYOctober 18, 2012
Pros: great professional growth, employees very committed to work
Cons: low pay, benefits were ok
Loved my time at Saint Dominic's. It's a nonprofit, so the salaries are low, but I got great experience and my supervisor was amazing.