Saint Dominic's Home Employee Reviews

Structure and good culture
Case Aide/ Support Services (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 21, 2017
The workplace is pretty relaxed. Everyone was team oriented. Of course there was challenges and stressors, however it wasn't any mistreatment. Everyone took their job serious and worker. I actually would go back to this organization if provided the opportunity.
Pros
Ability for growth.
Cons
Things can get chaotic if a case planner.
great job under payed
Residence Counselor (Former Employee) –  Blauvelt, NYJuly 20, 2017
geat position i actually enjoyed my employment period there but it is very low in salary not enough to maintain living in new york city to me i will do it as a second job rather than primary
Horrible experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Goshen, NYJuly 13, 2017
While I loved my job and the consumers it was the worst working experience in my life and I have been in this field for a long time. The higher ups only cared about money and themselves. They had no appreciation for the staff who dealt with serious behaviors day in and day out with very little pay. They didn't listen to any of the DSP or Managers concerns. It is really sad that they push away the most passionate employees. In Goshen there were several different Coordinators in a short period of time because of how poorly they were treated.
Pros
Workimg with consumers
Cons
Poor work environment, horrible pay, poor supervision, lack of support
very nice place to work
Residence Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2017
great environment to work with either patients & coworkers. Management is poor in supplying materials for job to get done on time and properly. The hardest part of the job was when patient would not cooperate. Learned how to really care about others beside myself. Great training.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
n/a
productive, caring, task oriented.
Administrative Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 13, 2017
Turn on my computer, answer emails. Review work to be completed. Speak to co workers. Answer messages, follow up with directives. Take a break and continue to finish work needed.
The training providing are great
Resident Counselor (Former Employee) –  Blauvelt, New YorkApril 4, 2017
They have great in-service training programs and knowledgeable trainers
they have many locations in the city and upstate
sometimes the workplace culture lacked in professionalism
the consumers are the best part of the job
Pros
staff christmas parties, opportunity to advace in company, training
Cons
management, workplace culture
0 Stars
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Blauvelt, NYMarch 27, 2017
A typical day at work involves stepping on egg shells to try and get some work done because of the disgusting dirty political environment that upper management creates. Management is sitting up high in their IVORY TOWERS with their suits and fancy clothes that their hefty salaries can afford.

What you learn here is what NOT to do as a manager.You learn how sneaky and underhanded your co workers are and upper management are. If you act like a bully, pretend you know what you are doing and are a minority you are sure to get promoted.

Not one person in management has the necessary skills to move this organization into any kind of positive change. Shame on you St. Dominic's, shame on the Board of Directors for not knowing and seeing people's dirty political agendas and the sneaky games they play with each other!

The culture in this organization is that everyone is trying to survive the daily abuse of employees that goes on. It would be too much of a disgrace to report what really goes on in this agency.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with peoples inadequacies, pretending you don't see their stupidity. Its like someone who is drunk and goes into public thinking no one will know that they are drunk, but the drunk blatantly makes a fool of himself.

So many people have held on to their job here because they love working with the children and adults. They know if they left their job, these disabled, adults and children will be at the fate of highly incompetent people.
Pros
helping the clients
Cons
too much to list
Love the residence and consumers..
Direct Care Support Worker- Per Diem (Former Employee) –  Congers, NYJanuary 7, 2017
St. Dominic's Home is one of the premier agencies in Rockland County/ NYS and enjoyed my tenure with this company. I only left this position in the search for higher income and suitable working hours.
Nice place to work
Vice President of Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Blauvelt, NYAugust 6, 2016
Social service agency with funding streams form OPWDD, OCFS, OMH, DOE and ACS. Programs located in Rockland, Bronx and Orage County. Three schools.
Great Agency to work for
other (Current Employee) –  Blauvelt, NYJuly 10, 2016
I love working at Saint Dominic's. I have gone though a few different positions but now there is no more room for advancement. I have 2 great managers and GREAT co-workers and we have great comradery. I enjoy going to work everyday and my typical day is quite busy.
Pros
Pto
Cons
salary
Positive experience
Functional Family Therapist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 4, 2016
I have advanced my credentials while working at SDH. Co workers are friendly and helpful. I am currently a Family Therapist with the FBTI program. My typical day consists of traveling to clients home to provide in home therapy.
Co-Workers Make Work Environment better
Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 22, 2015
Best part is the flexible schedule. No micro-managing
Typical day varied based on how you scheduled it
Not all administrators were helpful
Co-Workers made work environment better
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
All higher ups arent approachable
SDH is a nice place to work.
Administrative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  853 longwood ave.July 16, 2015
SDH is a fast paced energy driven environment. I have learned a great deal about balancing multiple tasks at once. I have lerned how to create a great balance of being firm and friendly. My co-workers are great people and pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job is the fact that there is not enough time in the day to complete everything. The most enjoyable patr of the job is the people that I service everyday.
Great company
Case Planner (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 1, 2015
Excellent company, where any body can gain experience by been open to learn.
Great environment with coworker.
all the beginnings are hard but this company open the door to any body who is willing to learn what is a Family Foster Care.
Pros
Excellent benefits
horrible
Residence Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 17, 2015
i learned nothing but the fact that this company has managers and coordinators that lack professionalism. The pay is ridiculous for all the work you have to do.
Productive and fun work place
Resident counselor (Former Employee) –  Blauvelt, NYApril 7, 2015
Enjoyed working in this type of home setting environment. It allowed clients to be themselves and remind them they are special like everyone else.
Supervisor Foster Care
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Foster care programJanuary 14, 2015
I worked at Saint Dominics for years and loved the work, the learning and my coworkers. Sadly they have a completely new management team who know nothing about the work and a Director who is deceitful, dishonest, a liar and a thief. The upper management does not care about the foster care program and is clueless to what is going on right under their noses. Sadly this program is not likely to last much longer under this incompetent new leadership. Don't apply here, they are not pro staff and they are not supportive.
Pros
coworkers, salary
Cons
management, upper management, human resources
Pending on who you're working with
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Blauvelt, NYSeptember 30, 2014
Decent experience managements are horrible and have no respect for staff nor understand staffs difficulties.
Saint Dominic's Home serves the underdeserved.
Case Planner, Youth & Family Services (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 24, 2014
A typical day at SDH varies from one extreme to the other. You learn a lot about the child welfare system from legal to permanency. However, there is not much support in the foster care agency. On the other hand, we have co-workers who genuinely care about the job and the children we care for. The hardest part of the job is terminating parental rights and seeing the depravity in the dysfuntion in families who are not apt to change. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you make a child feel worthy as an individual and not looked as a "foster child". We truly have some special children that need care and love from those of us who work at this agneyc.
Case worker for foster care
TFBH Case Planner /Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 22, 2013
I was assigned a case load where I was required to monitor safety in the home, provide referrals and recommendation for services including substance abuse and housing, I enjoyed helping others, working with various families of different cultures and background. My co-workers were great and we got along well and I enjoyed going to work daily.

The hardest part was that I had a big case load, had meetings/conferences and, attended court hearing and at was required to write and submit reports and FASPs and sometimes needed extra time to complete all the above assignments