Saint Francis Care

Saint Francis Care Employee Reviews

Caring Hearts / Struggling Leadership
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 9, 2013
I love helping people. To go home at the end of the day feeling like I might have inspired someone or made a difference in a life, makes what I do worth it. Unfortunately, working for a company where I feel under-valued and under-challenged makes my morale less then stellar. I am the type of individual that thrives very well when I am given a challenge and the autonomy to meet the challenge. Leadership in this facility does not live up to these standards, and it affects the quality of care that the overall team provides, ultimately having the greatest effect on the patient population. My typical day at work involves 15 minute patient observations, vital signs, facilitating a group or two, and fulfilling patient needs. As a bachelors prepared employee, I feel that we are capable of doing much more. I learn the most in my job from the patient population I serve. They offer the most insight through critique and evaluation.
My co-workers all have very good hearts, but I feel they are burned out and affected by hidden leadership as well. Listening to employees verbalizes their frustration, and the transference that takes place in a given day is what I would consider to be the hardest part of my job. Given that I am on a journey to grow as a healthcare leader, using good communication and effective teamwork models as my leadership style, I find it difficult on a daily basis to watch a lack of these important standards take place, most of the time feeling like I lack a voice in my own work environment. With continued employment and a new environment, I hope I can find these important
  more... standards that my current employment has been lacking.  less
Pros
patient care, group facilitation, socialization, learning.
Cons
lack of consistency, unhealthy leadership standards.
I learned so much working at this hospital!
Unit Secretary, Elmcrest Psychiatric Institute (Former Employee) –  Portland, CTJanuary 19, 2015
I started as the "Float" Secretary at this hospital. Initially, taking 2-week positions supporting other secretarial staff throughout the hospital, and then covering for them when they were on vacation or needed help due to a backlog of work.

I covered every aspect of a hospital setting from taking telephone intakes, insurance verification, admission paperwork, support of clinical and medical staff on the unit to discharge paperwork and then outpatient admission. I took a position of Unit Secretary on an inpatient unit and reported directly to the Manager of Unit as well as the Psychiatrist and Medical Doctor and had to make sure each chart was up-to-date with filing and required releases of information. In many cases it was a "trial by fire" but I found, in hindsight, this was one of the best places I worked! Because of the timely nature with which work had to be completed, I worked quietly and efficiently and gained much respect. I found that the staff was qualified and professional making it a job that I took pride in.
Pros
close to home, reasonably priced lunches, professional setting, beautiful historical settings
Cons
elmcrest was bought by saint francis care and soon closed.
Poor management,Not enough patient care, no regard for employees
Creative art therapist (Former Employee) –  MT. Sinai Campus Behavioral Health unitsJuly 22, 2014
The best part of the job was working with the patients,as well as some of the co-workers.I grew as a therapist in this tough population. The management was absolutely terrible.I was left to my own devices the majority of the time.Several times staff was cut and one did not always feel safe on the units.I would sometimes be running large groups with severely acute patients, and no other staff to monitor. Management did not seem to care about the patients as much as the census to bring in money, nor did they care about the employees, or there needs. With the exception of some groups, most of the pt care was case management and no therapy. The rate of recidivism was ridiculous.Additionally, at least 21 employees have left in the past four/five months.I was told after having the same hours for over two years that I had to work every-other weekend and rotate all Holidays. There was no negotiating.
Pros
some good employees to work with
Cons
terrible management
A critical care unit- that was very rewarding
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 8, 2013
worked 12hr shifts. Report, then start with assessments on the most critical pt. including Fluid monitoring, vs, daily hands on care, etc. There were several managers over the last few years the latest this being her 1st Nurse Manager position. My co-workers were a" family". They were there every step of they way in the best of times and in the worst of times. We are forever a part of each other's lives. There are major changes occurring within the system which has made it difficult to work there. When census is low you could easily be staff reduced 2 hrs. before going in and when working nights that is extremely difficult. Then there is the recent new hires that make the shifts also over staffed - leading to reductions. There are little things that seem tedious. The best parts were the co-workers, the pts. and they're families. There are some wonderful memories of the people have met, and many still remember me and will specifically ask for me when they visit.
Great group of colleagues, challenging work, too much emphasis on case management, and very little patient contact
Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Francis Hospital and Medical CenterJuly 8, 2012
Loved my job at St. Francis but was unable to continue there when my job became focused on utilization review, rather than direct care with patients. Management was unorganized and sporadic, there were no opportunities for advancement. Insurance companies began to actually sit in rounds and dictate treatment and the clinicians were forced to discharge patients who were not well enough to leave.

I loved being part of a clinical team and everything that entailed. The collaboration of many different disciplines was valuable and rewarding, Direct care with the patients was rewarding and challenging, but it got to the point where we, as clinicians were unable to work with patients.
Pros
great colleagues, fun environment, rewarding contact with patients
Cons
too much time spent dealing with insurance companies
Productive, gaining experience, and great people to work with
Admitting Registrar (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 29, 2013
- A typical day consists of dealing with patients and collecting information. some patients are calm and others are uncontrolable bc of drugs or alcohol.
- I'm learning how to deal with all kinds of people and patients.
- The managment is great and does whatever they can to help me out.
- My co-workers are very helpful and answered or helped me out with any questions I had when I first started.
- The hardest part of the job would have to be trying to ask an out of control patient to answer questions and just trying to get any information form them at all.
- The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the people I'm working with. They were very accepting of me when i started are a good group of people to work with.
Pros
pay(differentials)
Far to many managers, too few worker bees
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 16, 2015
There is no advancement for admin staff, once you are on this track you only choice is a lateral move. They continously hire managers, team leaders, etc to get and keep staff and cut line staff making it difficult for things to get done properly. Many times the person hired is skilled in their profession, but not very good managers.

My co-workers were a hard-working, friendly lot who struggled daily with the whims and demands of poor management. If you are looking for work experience is a hospital setting I recommend working here, but as a career use caution.
Pros
Overall staff is friendly
Cons
No real leadership or
Stay away, you are worth more than this kind of stress.
phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  HartfordApril 3, 2015
I worked in lab services as a phlebotomist for nearly three years. Management was absolutely horrible. No direction, no crisis management skills, continuously talked down to staff with a "you're lucky to have a job" attitude, set low quality assurance standards for specimens, I could seriously go on and on. This is by far the most unorganized, toxic environment I've ever worked in. Hold out for better if you're looking for work as a phlebotomist.
Pros
They paid me on time.
Cons
Worst management I've ever seen.
Complicated workplace
Emergency Room Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 15, 2012
I worked as a Unit Secretary in the Emergency Room/Trauma Room. The position itself was satifying because I was helping individuals. Most of the co-workers were respectful and worked hard to maintain integrity, respect and privacy for the patients. The management did not work well together and created a lot of difficult situations within the workplace.
Pros
helping people in need
Cons
management needs to be more well organized
1st job as new grad
Medical- Surgical Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Blue Island, ILAugust 29, 2014
Worked on Med-Surg floor taking care of a vast majority of patients with co-morbidities. Ratio was 8:1 at times, on the 3-11 shift. Experience with hanging chemo, peritoneal dialysis, vented patients and etc. Great experience as a new grad, learned a lot.
Pros
learned how to multi-task, prioritize
Cons
short breaks
A wonderful place to work
Certified Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 11, 2012
Night Shift
How to work a night shift with ease and comfort
Wonderful management
Awesome people to work with many of whom I became close friends with
Driving through the city at night
Enjoyed my position there completely
Pros
a wonderful place to work
productive and friendly environment on a dual diagnosis unit
Mental Health Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 20, 2013
Educational because we receive so many different types of people with different problems. Management is fair and coworkers are available for help.
Pros
employees gain earned time off for personal time
Productive and nice place to work
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 17, 2012
Worked in the Nursery, assisted mothers in nursing their babies. Cleaned up newborns, took vital signs, feed newborns.
Pros
loved my job working with mother's and their newborns
Lots of experience and advancement
Help Desk Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 10, 2014
St. Francis is a fast paced environment with lot's of growth and advances in technology.
Change of Ownership
Laundry Manager (Current Employee) –  Hartford CTJanuary 10, 2015
St. Francis is currently under going a change of ownership and the environment is a bit unstable.