Saint Francis Medical Center Employee Reviews

Good job for good pay
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOFebruary 23, 2017
As a temp worker the pay is not great but the employees hired on to the hospital are payed well and receive great benefits. Not for smokers, though. Smokers will not be hired on.
Challenging and changing environment with EMR go-live
Medical Transcriptionist (Certified) (Current Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOMarch 2, 2017
My typical day of work consists of a mixture of transcription that is performed by outside clinic physicians, who do not have access to the EMR voice recognition component, as well as performing the duties associated with data integrity specialist (chart corrections, duplicate patients/merging charts). I have learned a great deal while I've been at SFMC (I originally started with SFMC in the early 1980s in-house, worked for them as a contracted transcriptionist for over 20 years, and then came back in-house). I have worked closely with management with the transitions that we have experienced over the years, including taking on duties of assistant manager while transitioning to a new director of Health Information Management. The hardest part of the job is the increasing turnover in management positions and the increasing challenges with the new EMR system.

My most enjoyable part of the job is still the transcription - I am a transcriptionist through-and-through; it's who I am. It's what I know the best and am extremely comfortable with. Through the years, I have had to progress from the electronic typewriter, to the first computer systems(Wang,DOS, Word Perfect, Miscrosoft Word), to the more advanced electronic software programs to implement the latest transcription technologies.
Pros
Insurance; earned time off; (previous) sizeable bonuses
Cons
Management changes; increasing duties with need for more personnel
Excellent continued and furthering of knowledge in the nursing field.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOSeptember 22, 2016
Good people to work. The Hospitalist staff was excellent in attending our patients. Multiple opportunities for furthering your nursing degrees. Long hours in the ICU's though.
Pros
Very knowledgeable staff to work with.
Cons
Too many intrusions into our time off.
days could be very busy and some days could be really slow
Nurse Aide and Ward Secretary (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEFebruary 28, 2017
There is alot of being a teamplayer which is great, and the days go very smooth when you can all work togethter. The hardest part of the job was you are on your feet the whole day, except the half hour lunch break if you actually got a break.
Ok first nursing job
Family Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAMarch 5, 2017
This job gave me a great foundation to becoming the great nurse I am today. Working Med-Surg gave me the opportunity to do and see a lot that I probably would not have seen working in any other area.
Saint Francis Medical Center
EPIC Credentialed Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MODecember 11, 2016
A great place to work. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience as a contract employee working on the new electronic medical records software. I was an EPIC trainer.
Constant challenges and learning opportunities
HRIS Analyst, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOSeptember 20, 2013
My typical day at work involves ad hoc report generating, termination processing, tuition reimbursement program administration, and employee license maintenance.
I have learned how the levels of management in a large organization work together to accomplish the end goal of patient and employee satisfaction.
I work extremely well with my co-workers, manager, director, and vice president. We make a great team.
The hardest part of my job is the involuntary terminations.
The most enjoyable part is the fact that in HR, there is always something to learn, something to accomplish, and new challenges every day.
Pros
Great employer, good benefits, great people
Cons
Lack of convincing job security, lack of appreciation for going over and above expectations
About the bottom line
PCA (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEMay 16, 2015
Managements hands are tied by CHI for staffing, raises, workload (matrix), etc. this impacts patient satisfaction and patient safety. Many people enjoy the positions they have, but morale has taken a huge hit.
Pros
Starting wage, good healthcare experience
Cons
Employee opinion is not really considered, goals set are almost unattainable, insurance/government driven because of law changes, the co-worker unity is diminishing
Terrible Place to Work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOAugust 21, 2015
This was the least family friendly place that I've ever worked. Pay was low for the amount of duties that I had. Any negative comments about the "Medical Center" was seen as a treasonous act, even if you had some constructive criticism. Management was completely incompetent and many times downright mean. There was so much backstabbing and talk behind closed doors here that it created a very negative environment. Administration runs the hospital with an iron fist and you are just a number on a balance sheet to them, not a person.

After five years of excellent service to this company (during two separate employments) I was fired out of the blue on some trumped up charges. I never had so much as a "talking to" in my time there prior to this incident. In fact, I had just received an outstanding review and was being considered for a promotion to a supervisory position just weeks before I was terminated.

Not only did this termination disgrace my reputation I also lost all my insurance benefits and to top off the cake they denied my unemployment claims. My immediate supervisor, the one who was about to promote me, was so ashamed of himself during my "interrogation/firing" that he couldn't even look me in the eye.

Shame on you St. Francis Medical Center for treating people like this. Don't be fooled for a minute, this is NOT a Christian organization.
Pros
Co-workers (or so I thought)
Cons
I just completed reviewing Saint Francis Medical Center I thought.
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAJuly 12, 2016
I just completed reviewing Saint Francis I believe so do not wish to attempt to do so again. This site requires a certain number of words for this mandatory review, so I will continue to wear my fingers down on the key board to satisfy them.
Stellar acute care facility
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lynwood, CADecember 13, 2012
Place for advance and encouraged all nurse to advance to next level of practice with reimbursement and increase in salary if certifications held.
Pros
competitive salary, place for advancement and advance education with imbursement
Cons
office/job politics, cliques
Great learning environment
Surgical Technologist/Preceptor (Current Employee) –  Lynwood, CAApril 15, 2014
Typical day I scrub about 5 to 6 cases a day. Usually back to back, quick turn-around, hard-working staff and great doctors. I learned to anticipate surgeon's needs, memorize preference cards, plan and assess all scheduled cases to stay ahead. Management is supportive, helpful, and accommodating. I enjoy all aspects of my job which is why I chose to pursue a career as a surgical technologist.
Pros
Great learning experiences, wonderful staff.
Cons
Not enough hours.
Example of Teamwork
Radiographic Technologist/ 2nd shift, weekends (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NebraskaJanuary 5, 2012
St. Francis is an incredible place to work. The staff provide excellent, compassionate and accurate care to all patients. St. Francis has a strong community presence, and provides services to the community such as carseat checks, health fairs and many health educations opportunities.
Pros
supportive co-workers, excellent benefits, approachable management.
Corrupt and Dishonest Company
Analyst (Current Employee) –  .December 20, 2015
This company has such a potential to be a great employer, but instead they take advantage of every loophole to take from the employees. The entire hospital (with the exception of Administration) is understaffed in turn making them over-stressed. Speaking respectfully and openly to Human Resources does not matter as they will continue to do what they want. I would never be a patient as the level of care is sub-par and not enough staff to adequately care for any patient. The company spends their money on boosting their image to the public which is sad. Even speaking to the Department of Labor they said that SFMC is within their legal limits, but no one takes advantage of the things they do because it's just wrong. A NICU nurse told me that she used to leave her nightshift shift and run to WalMart for errands and then come back. Sneaking out and leaving a NICU patient?!?! Absolutely worst place I've ever worked.
Pros
It's a paying job.
Cons
List too long.
Productive and very helpful workforce of the health care team
Prep­Step RN (Current Employee) –  Lynwood, CAApril 14, 2016
Co-workers are the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of the job is when one does not have all the time to take care of the patients because you have more than one patient to handle.
productive
Licensed Vocational Nurse (Externship) (Former Employee) –  Lynwood, CAJanuary 16, 2013
everyday it was something new, never did i see a face twice. the variety of cultures and beliefs and the different quality of care that i had to perform was different. from newborn care to wounds, trachea and ostomy care. i learned to deal with different personalities and to enhance my knowledge and skills as a nurse. i enjoyed being able to perform and care for my patients.
Pros
opportunity to enhance my skills
Cons
not having enough hours in the day to give each patient there time of day
Fun Plae to work
Receptionist/Biller/Coder (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOJuly 22, 2013
Fun place to work,good benefits. Overall not good management of their emplyees
Fun place to work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEApril 4, 2013
Work in a variety of different places: hospital laboratories, Physician’s offices, Blood Banks and many more. Their work requires active interaction with doctors, nurses, clinical staff and patients, family and caregivers. The ages may range from infants to those in the geriatric population, so the phlebotomist must have proper telephone etiquette as well as client service abilities, record management and bookkeeping skills
Pros
great job
Cons
not enough hours
Its a good place to work
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOSeptember 23, 2015
I have been at Saint Francis Medical Center for 10+ years. It is a good place to work however, they have been chipping away at our benefits over the past 4 or 5 years.
Pros
Well paying job
Cons
Less benefits then before
Serving with the greatest love and care is the motto of most employees at the College of Nursing.
Secretary II, PCT, Adm Registrar, UCNA (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILMarch 14, 2015
I feel very blessed to be employed with OSF for over 29 years. The organization encourages education and is willing to assist employees in their journey. The spiritual atmosphere is encouraging as well.
Pros
Education assistance
Cons
Feeling of not being heard by management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Saint Francis Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.