Saint Louis University Employee Reviews

Educational and Supportive Place to Work
Level II Occupational Therapy Student (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 1, 2015
Working for the Faculty Practice was a wonderful way to get practical experience and be brought up as a professional in a supportive environment.

- Learned how to run a private practice
- Became proficient with administering and evaluation assessments
- Actively participated in goal setting and intervention planning
- Learned to be flexible and always on your toes!
More than just an Academic Culture
Visit Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 19, 2015
My most enjoyable part of my current position is helping the visitors have a very enjoyable visit. Also knowing that I am helping students achieve their academic goals is very rewarding.
Extremely productive, requires a lot of critcal thinking, and communication.
Financial Assistant Sr (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 7, 2014
A typical day at work for me is very productive. Requires a lot of focus.
I have learned a lot at Saint Louis University, such as time keeping for union workers, utilities, FMLA, purchase orders, and requisitions. I micromanage 160 union workers time cards, and leave requests .
Is having everyone on the same page with me.

Interacting with other employees in different departments, doing my job and working independently.
Pros
tuition remisson and great benefits
Cons
paying taxes on tuition
multicultural
Computer Lab Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Madrid, MDOctober 23, 2014
very boring work. Almost nothing to do except than brwosing the net.
Pros
good pay
Cons
boring
Productive and Fun Workplace
Network Security Intern (Current Employee) –  st louisSeptember 15, 2014
Learned many details about network operations. Found out the in and outs of a network security system.
Perfect on-campus opportunity
On-Campus Intern (Former Employee) –  Madrid, MDSeptember 7, 2014
Flexible hours that make it easy to combine studying with working
Weird Concern about going paperless.
Assistant File Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 20, 2014
I was hired to help with a backlog on updating patient files. Most of my time consisted of being by myself, but I knew that before I took the job. The working conditions were comfortable and the management understanding letting me listen to music while I filed away paperwork. My co-workers were fun and very accepting of me (there was quite the age gap between myself and my co-workers).
Productive and fun place with a lot of fellow students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 6, 2014
I was conducting regular research duty including applying GIS and remote sensing in geological elements extraction as well as preparing lab tutoring for undergraduate students. Besides, I was grading students' exam and assignments for classes including geology and GIS technique. I was chosen and sponsored by the Geological Society of America for the participation of GSA annual meetings and I presented my research outcomes at conferences.
The most enjoyable part of this job is I have been increasing capabilities in the integrated science application combining GIS, remote sensing, geology, geomorphology, and environmental sciences. I am really enjoying this feeling to be hold fast to what I really want to do-being a qualified scientist and technician .
Pros
not much help from advisor sometime, i got chances to improve my creativity and problem-solving ability.
Cons
not much help from advisor sometime. i need figure a lot of technique.
Great work/life balance with excellent colleagues
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 24, 2014
In this position I typically worked on a variety of topics throughout the day, whether compiling bibliographies, copyediting academic essays, or attending to other research-related tasks as necessary. In this position I learned more about the day-to-day realities of the academic profession and gained a greater appreciation for the study of history outside my chosen discipline.
...
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 15, 2014
Support dental care delivery by preparing treatment room, patient, instruments, and materials; passing -instruments and materials; Sterilization and performing procedures in compliance with the dental practice act.
Pros
get good experience.
Cons
no breaks, just 30 min for lunch. temp postition.
Productive place
Registration Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOMay 13, 2014
Working with doctors and patients was most enjoyable
Co workers were wonderful
Learned HR skills
Receive education
Student (Former Employee) –  St. LouisMay 8, 2014
This school is great for students who are very serious about getting a good education, putting time into their majors, and meeting genuine people.
Dean of Students/ Office of Student Conduct
Sec. Student Conduct and Dean of Students (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 3, 2014
It was an office where students were usually there for serious discussions. I learned a lot about higher education. I enjoyed working with the student office staff.
Pros
the students definately made it worth it.
Cons
it wasn't really what i was looking for; it just wasn't for me.
Nice Place to work
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 25, 2014
Its great to work for a Catholic University. Very organized and respectful place. Diverse work spaces and a lot of opportunity to move up
Place of Autonomy
Non-Tenure Nurse Instructor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis MissouriMarch 14, 2014
Working for St Louis University, offers a conducive learning environment for their faculty. There are always opportunities that provides staff with additional training and continuing education. My day consist of lecturing for 2 courses, office hours, and grading student assignments. Being an instructor, you are responsible for your course assignments and responding to students in a timely manner. There is a lot of autonomy in the workplace. Our evaluations are solely based on the students evaluations at the end of the course.
Cons
n/a
Amazing place with amazing people
Aerospace Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 27, 2014
Saint Louis University is such a great place to work I cannot say more positive things about it. There is such a tight knit community that makes work fun and enjoyable!
Bullying encouraged
staff (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 22, 2014
They allow supervisors and managers to bully and harrass employees simply because they believe a manager is more important to their organization than a staff person. If you complain they will do nothing except show you the door. Also, they dont give a darn about Catholic or Christian values. It's all about the money.
Pros
nothing
Cons
bullying, anti-catholic values
Not healthy, not ethical
Clinical Psychologist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 29, 2014
I took the job because I was so impressed during the interview process. I was led to believe the University as a whole, and my department in particular, were healthy, upstanding, progressive, innovative, well organized, and integrated into the University community. Within months of starting, I began to realize none of these things were true. I realized that the very basic quality of care and ethics were not present, leaving the department, University, and individuals working in the department open to lawsuits and other liabilities. Although the staff repeatedly addressed these issues with direct supervisors and others up the chain of command, nothing was done to address egregious problems. When we eventually sat down to talk, we were given a lecture by administrators and told that we were free to leave if we did not like it.

There were many, many problems within the department, all centered around the awful leadership, who were abusive, inept, and unqualified to lead. These terms are not enhanced for the dramatic effect of this review - I mean them literally. Even basic communication skills were missing in day to day operations leading to immense frustration, confusion, ambiguity, and no continuity from day to day and situation to situation. Decisions that were made were not only frequently unethical, but lacked basic common sense in how to run an organization.

My coworkers were wonderful, dedicated, and committed, but left one by one due to the above and the administration's unwillingness, inability, or exceptional lethargy in addressing the issues. The result was the loss
  more... of many qualified, wonderful professionals over a very short period of time.

In my tenure, I do not understand how SLU has earned the reputation it has in the Saint Louis community. I am not sure why anyone would voluntarily work or stay working there.
Pros
pay - i was paid well, but learned this was not the norm in my dept.
Cons
everything else
Very educational, very satisfying
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 24, 2014
Medical secretarial work for two to three physicians; scheduled diagnostic testing, filing, triage phone calls from patients, handled medical records, credentialing of new physicians, scheduled appointments, interact with other physicians, transcription from cassette tapes and worked with electronic medical records system.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
management not always familiar with subordinates duties
productive work place
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 15, 2014
best worker ever, and what ever else you would like for me to say. Yeah and that to.
Pros
good pay, fun, very easy
Cons
all depends every job has cons