Saint Louis University Employee Reviews

Was a great work place; now, not so much
Asst. Director (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 2, 2017
Work culture has really gone downhill in past 5-10 years. Management much more concerned with institution maintaining US News Top 100 ranking vs. taking care of employees. Virtually no training for new managers. HR hiring procedures are, at best, byzantine. If you apply for a position there, be prepared for the process to take twice as long and be 3x more complicated than any other organization you deal with. Lot of positives - fair compensation, great tuition benefits, SLUcare access.
Pros
SLUcare, tuition benefits
Cons
questionable merit of most managers
Steer Clear if you work in a technical field
ITS Flunky (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 27, 2017
SLU used to be a great work environment. A little sloppy, a little confused at times, but it had a great culture and a good group of people working there.

However, don't look for advancement, they will hire from outside instead of hiring from within. The Finance department is in the process or running its entire business into the ground. The IT department is in shambles and on top of racing the central Finance group to the bottom of the barrel, and now IT has made a habit of insulting the employees that until so recently were the backbone of IT across the university.

But their retirement plan is excellent, and the Tuition benefit is the main reason most people stay. So while SLU has those, its almost worth it.
Its ok
Staff Manager/Administrative Coordinator III (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 24, 2017
The benefits are great but will most likely be going away soon with the "Academic Reinvention". SLU is not as concerned with staff well being as they should be.
Friendly and supportive environment while calling alumni
Annual Giving Program Employee (Current Employee) –  Annual Giving Program OfficeMarch 23, 2017
I love working at the Annual Giving Program at Saint Louis University! The staff is great and I have gotten to know so many new people. It's amazing to talk to alumni and get advice while also giving back to SLU for the amazing education they are giving me.
A Great Place to Work
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63103March 19, 2017
The opportunity to work in an educational setting that offers all the ingredients for a successful student, staff or administrator is a daily enriching achievement. Here you learn to think and appreciate the valuable insight offered in education. Management integrates an entire community of educators and community leaders that creates an environment of support and life management skills. The hardest part is knowing when to move on for growth and challenge oneself for additional opportunities. Saint Louis University was and continues to be an exceptional place to learn and achieve ones goals.
Pros
Educational and Life Experience
Cons
Space allocations
Flexibility
Admission Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 14, 2017
SLU is very comfortable, professional and flexible work environment
However, in my position, it is a bit difficult to advance
I have learned a some new systems and technical skills
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Advancement
Recently Laid off
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 13, 2017
Nice place to work if you have no desire to move ahead in SLU. Upper management has no clue as to which employees are keeping there doors open, The pay is low and the benefits are high. but the tuition benefits pay off.
A wonderful place with wonderful people.
Sr. Multimedia Analyst (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 28, 2017
Every day is filled with obstacles to overcome, which I find enjoyable.
It's a chaotic atmosphere here, but I wouldn't have any other way
In for a penny, in for a pound.
Pros
People, and real world experiences
Cons
Long hours and work life balance is off
Student worker given a good amount of responsibility
Student Worker/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 31, 2017
my bosses were good people who cared about our education before our work. they knew we were at SLU to study and made sure we never over worked
Under hard times
Staff (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 24, 2017
2017 has brought more challenges to the world of universities, financial strains make job security very questionable. Being over worked and the stress of the unknown makes for a tough environment.
Love the people I work with
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 23, 2017
I work in the infectious disease and allergy/ immunology clinic at SluCare. I have learned a lot of new skills being in this office. The hardest part of my job is giving bad news to a patient. My typical day at work consists of rooming patients, answering phones, sending refills to the doctors, giving injections, obtaining authorizations from insurance companies and drawing blood.
Great benefits
Quality Assurance Manager/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 18, 2017
The people I worked with from all areas of medicine had a true love and commitment to caring for cancer patients. Saint Louis University fosters a learning environment by being able to attend Grand Rounds (presentations) from all disciplines of medicine and learn about areas you would not normally work with along with the benefit of tuition remission.
Great work environment and fun people
Multimedia Services Student Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 18, 2017
Loved working for the school's IT department. My manager was an incredibly friendly guy and was really easy to get along with. Also worked along side some classmates which made working there very enjoyable.
Pros
Good hours, flexible, nice people
Cons
low pay
Worked as a Teaching Assistant during graduate school.
Public Speaking Instructor (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOJanuary 17, 2017
Great place to work. I enjoyed learning from the faculty and applying their lessons in my own classroom. SLU has a gorgeous campus and great staff.
Personable and helpful people
Marketing and Communication Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 11, 2017
I worked as an intern at SLU, and everyone there was ready to help me learn. I mostly wrote and copy-edited. I had a good experience, and everyone was nice in the department.
Great institution to work for
Road Runner and First read (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 9, 2017
I was hired as a part time employee filling in roles as needed. I had experience in recruitment with another Jesuit university, so it was a perfect fit. It has been great working with SLU.

From the first moment I signed my contract, they showed great organization within the office, had processes down to a science, and never felt lost or without guidance. Would highly recommend working with SLU.
Meh
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 17, 2016
It's an okay place for employment. Faculty is a major transition, so there's a lot of competition for upward mobility. New instrumentation is finally being instituted. Abiding by the motto "Higher Purpose, Greater Good" is a joke.
Pros
Free tuition
Cons
Zero job security, everyone is replaceable.
my duties
housekeeper (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 27, 2016
i love the work that i do which is cleaning but i would love to move up and become something more. Im a hard worker i have learned alot from the field im in.
Great place to work. Very laid back atmosphere.
Information Security Analyst / Contractor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 7, 2016
Very nice place to work. Had the University atmosphere and was not all business bottom line driven. Only issue is most of the IT work force are contractors without any option to be hired.
Pros
Very laid back atmosphere.
Cons
Most workers were contractors. No hope of becoming full-time employee.
It was fun to develop a course to teach
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 15, 2016
As a adjunct professor the culture was great. I had the ability to help develop young people to face the future job market. Working with staff was also rewarding.
Pros
Using my career knowledge