Saint Louis Zoo Employee Reviews in United States

Fresh Air and Seeing Animals
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 21, 2015
A typical day at the Zoo really depends on the month, if it's in March then it's a fairly easy day of just walking around collecting waste. If it's in June or July then it's very busy and it's fast pace.

I learned that collecting waste isn't just easy and it takes a lot of time to collect waste but it's fun.

Management was alright, sometimes they are rough on you for minor issues or mistakes. That's the only downside of management but most of the time they are okay.

The hardest part of the job was the smell of the waste, it's very powerful and it takes a while to get use to smelling it daily.

The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the children looking at their favorite animals or birds. There is nothing more amazing then seeing the pure joy of a child's face when they see a Polar Bear or Sea Lion up close.
Pros
Working Outside and Seeing Animals
Cons
Short Breaks and No Promations
Wonderful Job
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 9, 2016
This was a great job. I loved it. The hardest part about this job was the heat. I enjoyed everything especially the environment.
positive and fun working place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  lake sideSeptember 21, 2015
Ev6eryone at the zoo got along and worked together. There wasn't a hard part about working at the zoo becuase everyone helped everyone out. The most enjoyable part was how the customers was always happy.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
heathcare
enjoyed working with zoo guest
Train Conductor/Attractions Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 7, 2015
This was part time , post retirement job. Fun place to work. Major tourist attraction with visitors from around the US and outside.
World Class Zoo
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 10, 2013
Like any workplace, it has both good and bad parts. It suffers from the same problems as all non-profits: poor pay and benefits with long hours.

It is full of especially wonderful people that believe in the mission of the institution, and love what they do.
Pros
all the animals
Cons
low pay, terrible health insurance
fast-paced, wide spread of jobs
kitchen supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 28, 2012
I've learned many culinary, management and customer service skills during my 6 years at the saint louis zoo. A typical day is usually very fast paced and takes a well orangized team to handle the job.
Pros
flexible with schooling
Cons
no kind of benefits
the zoo
food server (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 12, 2013
It was a fun environment mostly, but I've been there so long that it took affect of me, Really good if your a student with no kids but if you are a parent not a place for you.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
raise wasn't good, sesonal job, so just during the summer
Great workplace and great enviroment for everyone.
Food Server (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 21, 2015
The Saint Louis Zoo is a great place to visit. Its a place where you can take your whole family and enjoy yourselves. Nice polite and caring workers. Just a great all around environment .
Fun and educational work place
Certified Interpretive Guide (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 26, 2013
Scheduled in areas around the zoo with opportunity to speak about any animal in the area. Great conversations about the animals and conservation with the use of biofacts.

Wonderful and diverse coworkers.

Advancement within the company seems low with this position.
Informative and historical work place
Gift Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 17, 2013
I have many tasks at the zoo from cashiering and directing visitors to mediating staff concerns and and creating attractive sales displays. I learned that the customer is a major factor in keeping our zoo free and keeping it number one in the country by their purchases and over-all great experiences while at the zoo. I learned to lead being one the giftshop supervisors ,but also to follow with, when needed being put into a staff position. the hardest part of my job would definately be making sure everyone is happy at the same time. Now sometimes "Mr. elephant" would want to sleep and not pose for pictures. I would try my best to make these negatives positives. The best thing about working at the Saint Louis Zoo would giving people valuable and sometime funny or surprising zoo history and facts.
Pros
free paking
Cons
hours for work were not flexible
A fun and working and positive place to work at
Food Service (Current Employee) –  East RefreshmentsMay 17, 2013
What I learned working at the Saint Louis Zoo is u always got to have a nice big beautiful smile working in food services. another thing is u always have to multitask . My co workers are very friendly and we all work as a team. The most hardest part of my job is making sure u ring all the orders up correctly. The most enjoyable part of the job is greeting customers and also having a safe and fun working enviornment
Pros
free lunches and also discounts and safari passes
Cons
its hots
Great place to work for people who are dedicated to protecting animals and the environment.
Theatrical Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Saint LouisJanuary 29, 2015
You'll learn something new every day working here. Pay isn't great because it is a free zoo, but overall it's a very fun and out of the ordinary place to work.
An amazing experience in a place I love.
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 11, 2013
We would come in and start researching either on the computers or in the field observing Wild Donkey and Zebras. After observations we would input data and then work on other projects that either dealt with research or just maintaining data. I also had the opportunity to work on the Hellbender Ethogram, that had its first success in reproduction this past year. The directors I worked under were brilliant woman, some that have written books on their research. It was always interesting coming to work since you did not know what would happen that day. I made a lot of good friends through this internship, and we had a lot of fun time together going around the zoo and learning about different ecosystems. The hardest part was dealing with the weather, we still went outside when it was freezing or storming, those were some of the more interesting days though. the most enjoyable part about the job was helping to make a difference. We worked with endangered species, and learning how to preserve and produce these amazing animals made everything worth it.
Pros
we were allowed behind the scenes at all exhibits, for free. being part of the hellbender research and success.
Cons
it was an internship, a lot of fun, but hard to pay bills after awhile.
Interesting Job
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 5, 2014
I loved my job when i first started working there ,but my manager is hiring more and more kids that are very immature and not easy to work with. I've learned a lot of managing skills and inventory skills.
Pros
free lunches, able to do all activities free, 50% discount
Cons
not a mixed group of ages
My Experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St.Louis MOApril 23, 2013
The zoo was a very fun place to work. I worked there for 5 years but the only thing is that it was a seasonal position. I was a cashier as well as doing things on production. I made funnel cakes and ice cream and slight cleaning. My co workers where very friendly and the managers and supervisors.
Pros
fun and exciting place to work
Cons
seasonal position
Mission driven organization with varied opportunities
Seasonal Instructor (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MODecember 12, 2012
I work different hours throughout the year. During the summer, I may work at camp all week. Throughout the rest of the year, I may work weeknights and occasional overnight events.
Pros
great atmosphere, i mean, it is the zoo : )
Cons
lack of full time/benefitted positions

4.4