Saint Louis Zoo

Saint Louis Zoo Employer Reviews

Fun and educational work place
Certified Interpretive Guide (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOAugust 26, 2013
Scheduled in areas around the zoo with opportunity to speak about any animal in the area. Great conversations about the animals and conservation with the use of biofacts.

Wonderful and diverse coworkers.

Advancement within the company seems low with this position.
the zoo
food server (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJune 12, 2013
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: raise wasn't good, sesonal job, so just during the summer
It was a fun environment mostly, but I've been there so long that it took affect of me, Really good if your a student with no kids but if you are a parent not a place for you.
World Class Zoo
IT Specialist (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJune 10, 2013
Pros: all the animals
Cons: low pay, terrible health insurance
Like any workplace, it has both good and bad parts. It suffers from the same problems as all non-profits: poor pay and benefits with long hours.

It is full of especially wonderful people that believe in the mission of the institution, and love what they do.
A fun and working and positive place to work at
Food Service (Current Employee), East RefreshmentsMay 17, 2013
Pros: free lunches and also discounts and safari passes
Cons: its hots
What I learned working at the Saint Louis Zoo is u always got to have a nice big beautiful smile working in food services. another thing is u always have to multitask . My co workers are very friendly and we all work as a team. The most hardest part of my job is making sure u ring all the orders up correctly. The most enjoyable part of the job is greeting – more... customers and also having a safe and fun working enviornment – less
Informative and historical work place
Gift Shop Supervisor (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMay 17, 2013
Pros: free paking
Cons: hours for work were not flexible
I have many tasks at the zoo from cashiering and directing visitors to mediating staff concerns and and creating attractive sales displays. I learned that the customer is a major factor in keeping our zoo free and keeping it number one in the country by their purchases and over-all great experiences while at the zoo. I learned to lead being one the – more... giftshop supervisors ,but also to follow with, when needed being put into a staff position. the hardest part of my job would definately be making sure everyone is happy at the same time. Now sometimes "Mr. elephant" would want to sleep and not pose for pictures. I would try my best to make these negatives positives. The best thing about working at the Saint Louis Zoo would giving people valuable and sometime funny or surprising zoo history and facts. – less
My Experience
Cashier (Former Employee), St.Louis MOApril 23, 2013
Pros: fun and exciting place to work
Cons: seasonal position
The zoo was a very fun place to work. I worked there for 5 years but the only thing is that it was a seasonal position. I was a cashier as well as doing things on production. I made funnel cakes and ice cream and slight cleaning. My co workers where very friendly and the managers and supervisors.
Mission driven organization with varied opportunities
Seasonal Instructor (Current Employee), Saint Louis, MODecember 12, 2012
Pros: great atmosphere, i mean, it is the zoo : )
Cons: lack of full time/benefitted positions
I work different hours throughout the year. During the summer, I may work at camp all week. Throughout the rest of the year, I may work weeknights and occasional overnight events.
fast-paced, wide spread of jobs
kitchen supervisor (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 28, 2012
Pros: flexible with schooling
Cons: no kind of benefits
I've learned many culinary, management and customer service skills during my 6 years at the saint louis zoo. A typical day is usually very fast paced and takes a well orangized team to handle the job.