Saint Luke's Hospital

great doctors
great NPS and Pas
N/A
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOFebruary 21, 2014
This is a great place to work! Saint Luke's is getting rid of their transcription department and going to Nuance. I've researched this company and it does not suit my needs.
Salary is competetive to market in KC
Information Associate (Current Employee), Kansas City, MissouriFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: interaction with others
Cons: job security
Busy,
Interaction with others can be a learning experience in that we meet all types of people and relating sometime can be difficult. But with a positive attitude one most often can overcome any adversities.

Most wonderful people I've ever met.

Seeing people overcome their illness and going home.
great place to work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Kansas City, MODecember 6, 2013
Pros: great environment
a great team spirit, feels like family working together to achieve exceptional patient care
productive work environment
Room Service Associate (Former Employee), Chesterfield, MONovember 23, 2013
Pros: set schedual
Cons: slow or no advancement
Over all good company to work for. Management was good, co-workers treated each other with respect.
N/A
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJuly 23, 2013
I would normally tend to the patient's rooms and main waiting areas. That would usually involve disinfecting chairs and tables and tiding up magazines.
Very productive
Patient Account Representative I (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOApril 24, 2013
Good co-workers. Learned a lot about the medical/insurance industry.
If you're support they don't care about you
supply (Former Employee), kansas city missouriApril 13, 2013
Cons: they lie and want you to be in dead in job forever.
I was on a job for over six years before I came to this company to go back to school and I told them in the interview why I wanted a new job. They told me that they'll pay me 13 a hour and 3pm to 11:30pm. When they have me the paperwork to start it was 11 a hour and I told them no,she then told me 12 went to fill out the paperwork and was told that'll – more... I'll have to train Mon- Fri for six week. Then I'll move to 3pm to 11:3m. I reported for training didn't do anything wrong my first day. The second day I told them I was in school and should be only around for a year or two. When I can in the next day they told me I'm not a good fit for the job because they are looking for someone with "long run" – less
great place to work, valued employees
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Duluth, MNApril 4, 2013
Working NOC shift was difficult, but great coworkers and supportive management made the job enjoyable. I felt valued as an employee and criticism was always constructive. For as large of an organization it is, I always felt a sincere "family like" connection. They provided education and were constantly developing new ways to improve the company. The – more... only difficult part of the job was getting time off. – less
Great place to recieve care
Information Associate (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOMarch 20, 2013
Pros: customer focus, relationship building
The staff in the health system are highly motivated individuals with big hearts. Helping and caring for others is a major part of working in a hospital environment.
Best co-workers ever!
LPN (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 10, 2012
Loved working at Saint Luke's. Great team to work with. 12 hour shifts, its a long day but 98% of the time you leave satisfied with what you did as a nurse. You will make great friends here.
OK
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee), Kansas City, MONovember 27, 2012
Need to put patients first. It was OK to work at, but could of been better.
Productive, fast paced, hands on training for employees interested in medical atmosphere.
Information Associate (Current Employee), Kansas City, MissouriOctober 24, 2012
Pros: great benefits, nice cafe and cafeteria.
Cons: parking for later hours.
The morning is quite busy with patients your helping patients going to surgery or having blood drawn. Or even taking a patient who must visit the outside for fresh air. I learned how to put others before my needs because the patients are my customers and I understand they need or want attention asap. The management aspect I now understand that when – more... a problem confronts you, you want to understand all the facts before conclusions are made, make sure all parties are involved from housekeeping to the main desk, or who ever was involved. Keep it professional and solve the issue. The co-workers are the best and no matter who has the patient everyone helps because this is the best place to give and get care. The part of the job that was most difficult was leaving on time, because you wanted to make all patients had what they needed for the night or the next morning. The most enjoyable part was saying good-bye to a patient whom you had become friends with because they had gotten better. – less
Saint Luke's Hospital was a execellent job and a wonderful work place
Maintenance, housekeeping (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOSeptember 12, 2012
I truly enjoyed working for Saint Luke's Hospital and being able to have the opportunity to speak with the people who worked there and the patients who was in the hospital it gave me people skills and showed me how to inter act with all people of different nationality
Saint Luke's Hospital was a execellent job and a wonderful work place
Maintenance, housekeeping (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOSeptember 12, 2012
PACU Staff Nurse
Staff Nurse Pain Management (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOAugust 17, 2012
Pros: learned alot
Loved the academic hospital, learned so much, had to especially know how to care for all patients especially the critical patients, they were med student one day and residents the next.
Endless opportunity to advance!
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJuly 25, 2012
Great busy facility! Great learning environment! Radiology department runs very smooth.
Don't work in the laboratory
Medical Technologist- Blood Banker, Generalist (Former Employee), Chesterfield, MOJune 20, 2012
Pros: hospital itself provides good care. other places outside lab have great morale.
Cons: laboratory managers are incompetent.
Laboratory is horribly mismanaged. Technologists are grossly underpaid. HR lies to lab techs to protect management's poor decisions.
Excellent hospital; terrible management
Staff RN & Charge Nurse (Former Employee), Chesterfield, MOMay 1, 2012
Overall, St. Luke's is an excellent hospital. They provide top-notch patient care; I know this from experience as I was a patient there on two occasions. A typical day on the neuro unit was very busy but it helped that they were well-organized as far as supplies & time management. They use a "free charge RN", which means the charge nurse checks orders – more... for you & doesn't have their own team of patients. This is an excellent practice & a total bonus for the charge as well as the staff nurses. They also do rounds with the physicians who request that, which helps too.

On the contrary, the management could use a reboot! Especially the head manager on the neuro unit. She's passive-agressive & doesn't inform you about your "negatives" or things you could correct until after the fact (i.e. you get called in the office for a write-up, etc.). Due to the trickle-down affect, the co-workers tended to be a little nervous & intense; always worried they were going to be written up for something they didn't know they were doing wrong. There were some older "burned out" RNs on the unit who made it difficult to come to work some days & were passive-agressive toward new grads. I'd say if you could weed out some people, St. Luke's would be a 5 star place to work! I learned A LOT from working there & haven't regretted any of that.

Lastly, the only other drawback is that you get pulled to different departments frequently. On several occasions, RNs on other departments would be cancelled for "low census" on a holiday & then they'd pull from our division to fill in for the ones they let off. We complained about this practice numerous times to management & were told that it's part of being the team. However, no other departments were required to do this for our unit so obviously there was some favortism going on with co-workers who'd worked there for longer than us.

To sum up the positives...excellent hospital overall; great education department & preceptorship policies; free charge nurse.

The negatives...passive-agressive management; too frequent pulls to other departments. – less
Productive and diverse workplace
Sterile Processing, Lead Instrument Tech 11 (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOApril 22, 2012
Pros: continuing education
On a typical day I would maintain competency regarding the instrumentation processing, sterilizing and supplies for the area while sharing knowledge of the processing area with visiting members, venders and other member of the OR team. The most enjoyable part of the job is maintaining quality assurance within the department.