Saint Mary's College of California

Saint Mary's College of California Employee Reviews

Glad to Have Attended
President of Dystopian Society (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 27, 2017
I am very thankful to have attended Saint Mary's College of California. I believe if provided me with opportunities other schools would not have been able to give me.
Pros
Small Campus
Cons
Liberal Arts School
Holy Smoke
Stationary Engineer (Current Employee) –  Moraga, CAMarch 30, 2017
This place is a joke!! 75% of the staff in the maintenance department are unable to perform the most basic of maintenance tasks. They lack proper training and leadership.
Pros
Free tuition for kids.
Cons
Pay and benifents suck
Beautiful campus in Moraga foothills
Purchasing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Moraga, CAMarch 28, 2017
I've enjoyed working at this small Catholic Lasallian Christian Brothers liberal arts institution in Moraga. The grounds are beautiful and the Enter to Learn, Leave to Serve motto is one that I feel both Staff and Faculty embody and strive to support the student body in accomplishing. You pretty much have a job for life if you like here at SMC, but it is difficult to grow or move up on the Staff side, which is why I am looking for other opportunities.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Parking on campus
Student
Exercise Physiology Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CAFebruary 8, 2017
I worked here as a student on an internship with the Kinesiology department - the opportunities and small class size here make it a phenomenal place to develop yourself.
Good people, bad pay
ITS Tech Bar Technology Consultant (Current Employee) –  Moraga, CANovember 15, 2016
They are very unwilling to pay based on experience. My supervisor was nice and understanding, but raises were few and far between with little to no benefits.
School was great & I received invaluable knowledge here.
student (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 27, 2016
School had very knowledgeable teachers who were masters in their field. Excellent curriculum based on real world problems. The MSFAIM program was very well structured & very relevant to what's required in the Finance industry.
Pros
Well structured program with relevant information & skills learnt.
Cons
Some of the teachers were not great at teaching, but the school was quick to remedy this by replacing low-performing teachers.
Engaging Workplace
Associate Director-Recruitment (Current Employee) –  Moraga, CAJuly 2, 2016
Engaging workplace with opportunity for campus involvement and cross discipline conversation. Highly collaborative work environment with highly diverse levels of thought.
Lifeguarding at College
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CAJuly 1, 2016
This was my first lifeguarding job that I acquired from the college I was attending. They paid for my training and I was able to complete it in no time at all. Before I knew it, I was out there prepared to save lives. Not only was I certified through CPR/AED training but I also had responsibilities as an employee at Saint Mary's. This job helped me to learn how to be an assertive person in order to put my image behind me and other people's safety before me. Lifeguarding is a great job to have and I am glad I was able to do it at my school.
Pros
Sit in the Sun all day
Cons
Sit in on the Rainy Days
Typical Day
Financial Aid Counselor (Current Employee) –  Moraga, CAJune 23, 2015
Looking over files, working with the student population and making sure that all the students funding was in order. Very little room for growth and supervisor is incredible
Cooperative and engaging workplace with direct work with director
Lead Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CAMay 27, 2015
•Assisted with the planning, execution and evaluation of Orientation Programs, including Mid-Year Orientation, Summer Orientations and Weekend of Welcome
•Coordinated the recruitment and selection of Orientation Leaders and Weekend of Welcome student staff
•Planned and implemented 3 day leadership retreat
•Assisted in management and training of the Orientation Leaders by mentoring, supervising and evaluating student staff performance, providing a supportive and educational environment, and serving as a liaison between the Director of New Student & Family Programs and student staff.
•Assisted with planning, staffing, and implementation of Parent and Family Weekend with Director of New Student & Family Programs
•Chair Orientation Leader staff meetings, which included but was not limited to, scheduling, preparing agendas, facilitating meetings and preparing follow up correspondence
Pros
Teamwork oriented, having fun and creativity is encouraged
Cons
Many unexpected changes occur every day
Great place to work, friendly staff, friendly students, overall great experience
Electronic Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CAFebruary 21, 2015
I learned a lot about networking and making connections. My co workers ranged from fellow college students to veterans who have been doing library work for decades. The most enjoyable part of the job included working with the people I got to work with and the overall atmosphere of the building.
creative, great workplace, great co-workers, productive
Saint Mary's New Student and Family Programs (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CAAugust 28, 2014
creative, productive, great workplace, great co-workers.
Pros
Free lunches
Great atmosphere
Academic Coach for the Disabilities Services (Current Employee) –  Moraga, CAAugust 15, 2014
A typical day at work here would include academic coaching the undergraduate students at Saint Mary's college. The student all have different developmental disabilities and needed academic coaching to help them succeed in higher education. I worked close with the technology crew to ensure text conversions, edits and proof reading was completed on time for the students who were visually impaired. The hardest part of the job was not being able to see all students who wanted academic coaching. the most enjoyable part is seeing the students succeed in higher education through the coaching our office helped with.
Saint Mary's College of California Admissions
Marketing and Data Senior Administrator (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CaliforniaJuly 23, 2014
The admissions department at Saint Mary's requires one to be very organized as it is expected for one to work at a very fast pace.Multifaceted responsibilities require exceptional multitasking skill. Corporate experience helped with the creation of a structured multifunctional, high performing operation. The office is very team oriented with the help and assistance of hardworking and dedicated colleagues. This enabled the department to do what we love to do and that is helping both parents and prospective students make a very difficult decision easier by supplying information and assistance with the college application process. Building relationships and help mentor these same students in our office when they became Data Student Administrators.
At times it is very stressful, working long hours during the application deadlines beginning November through July, also due to being short staffed and juggling the travel schedule of all our counselors.
Pros
Good Benefits; assistance with tuition remission after a year of service
Cons
understaffed; pay grading; no room for growth
Not the best working environment
Staff (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CAJuly 9, 2014
The College has great history, amazing students, and beautiful outdoor scenery. However, the facilities are run down, the technology is out of date, and resources and funds are lacking. It is difficult to perform job duties when the organization cannot provide you with the proper tools to do your job. The culture is stuck in the past. Many people have worked at SMC for many years and they do not like change or innovation. Most work is still done with paper and old processes due to a lack of vision, creativity, and a realistic view of the business world. Many of the staff are frustrated and no longer strive to reach or exceed goals. It seems most people are just trying to maintain. Those who want more from a career leave SMC. SMC is a leader academically, but as an employer it is far from progressive. The compensation is below average, however they do offer great benefits. The most enjoyable part of the job was the student interaction and some of the co-workers. If the College could figure out how to run like an actual business, it will be much better off and will have a brighter future.
Pros
Benefits, nice people, smart students
Cons
Lack of leadership, below average compensation, lack of resources and innovation
Small College with great Business Office personnel and students.
COLLECTIONS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CaliforniaFebruary 18, 2014
Small College with great Business Office personnel and students.
Cons
commute - 1.25 hours each way
Great school
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CANovember 17, 2013
I loved being a tutor at SMC. I'd work in the writing center. It was a fun Job. Very rewarding. I mostly worked alone.
A great place to work, with a good group of people to work with.
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Moraga, CAAugust 26, 2013
A great working environment, with good co-workers and a friendly population of staff and students on campus. A typical day is one where I perform campus patrols and tend to the needs of students and staff.

The management staff on my job is cooperative and they try to provide us with the tools we need to perform our duties. The hardest part of my job has been adjusting to a non-leadership role, in the formal sense. The most enjoyable part of my job is working on such a great campus; it is truly a wonderful place to be.
Pros
Great benefits and work environment.
Cons
No real chance of career growth and low pay.
First Job
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CAMarch 20, 2013
For a first job being an Ambassador is a great experience. Basic day is doing tours and the face of Saint Mary's.
Great place to be a student or staff
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CADecember 22, 2012
A faculty that really cares about its students, and an administration that really cares about its faculty. Together they form a wonderfully tight-knit organization that refuses to let students fall through the cracks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Saint Mary's College of California. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2