Saint Mary's College of California Employee Reviews in United States

Cooperative and engaging workplace with direct work with director
Lead Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CAMay 27, 2015
•Assisted with the planning, execution and evaluation of Orientation Programs, including Mid-Year Orientation, Summer Orientations and Weekend of Welcome
•Coordinated the recruitment and selection of Orientation Leaders and Weekend of Welcome student staff
•Planned and implemented 3 day leadership retreat
•Assisted in management and training of the Orientation Leaders by mentoring, supervising and evaluating student staff performance, providing a supportive and educational environment, and serving as a liaison between the Director of New Student & Family Programs and student staff.
•Assisted with planning, staffing, and implementation of Parent and Family Weekend with Director of New Student & Family Programs
•Chair Orientation Leader staff meetings, which included but was not limited to, scheduling, preparing agendas, facilitating meetings and preparing follow up correspondence
Pros
Teamwork oriented, having fun and creativity is encouraged
Cons
Many unexpected changes occur every day
Great place to work, friendly staff, friendly students, overall great experience
Electronic Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CAFebruary 21, 2015
I learned a lot about networking and making connections. My co workers ranged from fellow college students to veterans who have been doing library work for decades. The most enjoyable part of the job included working with the people I got to work with and the overall atmosphere of the building.
creative, great workplace, great co-workers, productive
Saint Mary's New Student and Family Programs (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CAAugust 28, 2014
creative, productive, great workplace, great co-workers.
Pros
free lunches
Great atmosphere
Academic Coach for the Disabilities Services (Current Employee) –  Moraga, CAAugust 15, 2014
A typical day at work here would include academic coaching the undergraduate students at Saint Mary's college. The student all have different developmental disabilities and needed academic coaching to help them succeed in higher education. I worked close with the technology crew to ensure text conversions, edits and proof reading was completed on time for the students who were visually impaired. The hardest part of the job was not being able to see all students who wanted academic coaching. the most enjoyable part is seeing the students succeed in higher education through the coaching our office helped with.
Saint Mary's College of California Admissions
Marketing and Data Senior Administrator (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CaliforniaJuly 23, 2014
The admissions department at Saint Mary's requires one to be very organized as it is expected for one to work at a very fast pace.Multifaceted responsibilities require exceptional multitasking skill. Corporate experience helped with the creation of a structured multifunctional, high performing operation. The office is very team oriented with the help and assistance of hardworking and dedicated colleagues. This enabled the department to do what we love to do and that is helping both parents and prospective students make a very difficult decision easier by supplying information and assistance with the college application process. Building relationships and help mentor these same students in our office when they became Data Student Administrators.
At times it is very stressful, working long hours during the application deadlines beginning November through July, also due to being short staffed and juggling the travel schedule of all our counselors.
Pros
good benefits; assistance with tuition remission after a year of service
Cons
understaffed; pay grading; no room for growth
Not the best working environment
Staff (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CAJuly 9, 2014
The College has great history, amazing students, and beautiful outdoor scenery. However, the facilities are run down, the technology is out of date, and resources and funds are lacking. It is difficult to perform job duties when the organization cannot provide you with the proper tools to do your job. The culture is stuck in the past. Many people have worked at SMC for many years and they do not like change or innovation. Most work is still done with paper and old processes due to a lack of vision, creativity, and a realistic view of the business world. Many of the staff are frustrated and no longer strive to reach or exceed goals. It seems most people are just trying to maintain. Those who want more from a career leave SMC. SMC is a leader academically, but as an employer it is far from progressive. The compensation is below average, however they do offer great benefits. The most enjoyable part of the job was the student interaction and some of the co-workers. If the College could figure out how to run like an actual business, it will be much better off and will have a brighter future.
Pros
benefits, nice people, smart students
Cons
lack of leadership, below average compensation, lack of resources and innovation
Small College with great Business Office personnel and students.
COLLECTIONS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CaliforniaFebruary 18, 2014
Small College with great Business Office personnel and students.
Cons
commute - 1.25 hours each way
Great school
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CANovember 17, 2013
I loved being a tutor at SMC. I'd work in the writing center. It was a fun Job. Very rewarding. I mostly worked alone.
A great place to work, with a good group of people to work with.
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Moraga, CAAugust 26, 2013
A great working environment, with good co-workers and a friendly population of staff and students on campus. A typical day is one where I perform campus patrols and tend to the needs of students and staff.

The management staff on my job is cooperative and they try to provide us with the tools we need to perform our duties. The hardest part of my job has been adjusting to a non-leadership role, in the formal sense. The most enjoyable part of my job is working on such a great campus; it is truly a wonderful place to be.
Pros
great benefits and work environment.
Cons
no real chance of career growth and low pay.
First Job
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CAMarch 20, 2013
For a first job being an Ambassador is a great experience. Basic day is doing tours and the face of Saint Mary's.
Great place to be a student or staff
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CADecember 22, 2012
A faculty that really cares about its students, and an administration that really cares about its faculty. Together they form a wonderfully tight-knit organization that refuses to let students fall through the cracks.
Incredible community, poor compensation
Administrative Assistant, Contract Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CAOctober 19, 2012
Typical day is met with many smiles and good mornings. I learned that you can't always count on promises from Supervisors. Co-workers, for the most part, phenomenal. Outdoor environment is absolutely serene and rehabilitating. I would recommend St. Mary's to anyone - it could fit anyone's needs.
Fun and unpredictable workplace
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CAJune 18, 2012
No two days are the same at the admissions office at Saint Mary's College. Some days are busier than others, depending on what part of the application cycle is at. I learned to think on the spot, improvise and make decisions that impact the families that visit and the students choose to attend SMC. Our boss was very understanding and never pressured the student workers. He was always there when we needed him and heard what we had to say and used our insights as student workers. My co-workers were all fellow classmates from Saint Mary's. Diverse group of individuals with personalities all over the spectrum. They are what made the job most enjoyable.

4.4