Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

extremely busy under new management
Patient Access Rep (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 30, 2016
St Mary's was a great place to work until the company got sold. New management came in and restructured the entire hospital, laying off multiple long time employees. My co-workers were amazing, but the management did not encourage a good job work/life balance. Simple things such as drinking water was discouraged, security constantly watched us from video cameras and took still shots and passed them around the hospital. I didn't learn much of anything because management did not include us in the daily advancements of the department
Pros
Cons
location
Big turnover in the lab...phlebotimist do not get paid enough
phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARJanuary 23, 2016
some days are busier than others, but when it is busy it's only one phlebotomist for the whole hospital this includes: ER (you are always called down to draw ER patients when there is like 5 nurses down there that can draw patient) 4th floor, ICU, Women and Children, Labor and Delivery, Rehab, Psych, Cancer Center at times when the patient can easily walk over to outpatient and get blood drawn so this means phlebotomist can have 6 noon draws but has to find a way to go and get that draw as well. Management in the Lab seems to care but it is stressful at times and when you bring up issues, the issues don't really ever get solved. You walk a lot you can walk up to 6 miles on a 12 hour shift or more. The pay is not enough maybe that is why there is a high turn over rate, and when you get a raise it is not even enough or not worth it. It's like a slap in the face.
Pros
good scheduled days
Cons
not enough pay
On to the next!
Distribution technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 3, 2017
Overall the distribution tech positionwas very fun to learn and im glad i was able to have that experience thought it could have been better. Training more, more people to work with. Rarely any respect from the rest of the departments . They didnt make the schedule fair either. The new person is all alone on the weekends supplying thewhole hospital while doing other errands as well as the daily duties needed. Stressful environment. Glad i had the chance to work as a distribution tech, but on to the next!!
Pros
Learning all the tools in the hospital.
Cons
Solo work most of the time, not much help from the rest of the crew. You worked on your lunch. 'Teachers pet'
staff thanks you for working in thier units. Very friendly and helpful staff members
Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 20, 2017
The staff thanks people for working in their units. Staff is friendly and helpful to other staff. They train staff well, and don't require staff to float everywhere in hospital, only selected place. Work can be hard but is fulfilling, and staff works directly with patients and parents in NICU, informing them of changes in care and involving them in care of neonate.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
sometimes no work in MB department
One of the top five Hospitals in Northern Nevada
Network Buyer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 21, 2016
Preparation and negotiation of purchasing contracts. I set and maintained stock levels for purchasing departments. Prepared Capital acquisitions.
I learned the challenges that a hospital is up against. How to balance budget cuts while maintaining excellent patient care.
I worked with at great team that was very supportive of each other.
Pros
Great hospital that truly cares for the patient.
Thinks you're a thief
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARJanuary 11, 2017
Why would you need a credit check for a job unless they think that people with bad credit are also thieves? Not to mention that it's just for a receptionist position. You should be worried about customer service.
Helping Physical Therapists
Student tech (Current Employee) –  Russellville, ARJanuary 12, 2017
I care for people's needs and their physical health to get them back to the shape they were in or better before their surgery.
Pros
Lunch break
director don't care about employees
EVS Tech (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARSeptember 12, 2016
Director is the worst person to work for. He goes through employees. Doesn't care about employees. If you don't go to break on time you get scolded.
Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 21, 2016
This company provides great patient care and benefits to the employees. When the new company took over, they cut the employees pay, but otherwise a great company.
Pros
Great patient care
Cons
pay scale
Patient Account Registrar (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 3, 2016
I was given such an amazing and exciting opportunity to work for Saint Mary's. A typical day at work was always busy with patient registration. I learned so many new things about how the hospital works, and how the department was run. Co-workers were always so nice and friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was when insurances wouldn't run in the system and you had to manually call to verify it.
easy place to work
Radiology Scheduler/Orders Specialist (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 16, 2016
great bosses, easy work, have made great relationships with many different offices, learned may new things, walk straight over to the great fitness center everyday after work
Pros
great health benefits
Cons
life insurance isnt a very good plan
Great place for growth in your professional life.
Patient Advocate (Current Employee) –  Reno, NvOctober 24, 2015
Very happy with my work experience here. Company desires to see employees progress and grow in their professional development and career.
Saint Marys is a good place to work.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NevadaApril 4, 2013
My experience as an employee at Saint Mary's has been educational and life-changing. The places I worked were family oriented and supportive.
I worked with my coworkers cohesively to get the job done effectively and professionally.
The hardest part of the job is when we've done all we can and have to say 'goodbye' to patients.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when I saw patients get better.
Pros
the benefits of working at saint mary's and the people i meet.
Cons
wear and tear on my car in homecare.
Productive and inspiring work environment
Distribution tech (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 19, 2016
Distributed supplies throughout the hospital. Helped anyone as much as you possibly could no matter how busy you were. The patients always come first
fast paced and very intense
Certified Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 5, 2015
Working with patients and closely with surgeons and other staff to keep the flow with in the operating room to protect and make sure the operation run smoothly and safely for the patient and all crew that is involved.
Pros
keeps you involved and busy all day
Cons
potiential to have conflict with staff if you do noot stay out of gossip
Stressful on a daily basis
Medical records processor (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 21, 2012
Short staffed, favortism with a capital "F". If you weren't liked by your managers or director you were told "NO" to everything you asked for to help you succeed in your position. There is ALOT of dead weight through out that dept that holds it back and the administration knows who they are. Medical records needs a good clean sweep of people who have been there longer than 20 years.
Pros
pleasant co-workers
Cons
bad management
Painful place to work
SPD (Former Employee) –  RenoMarch 22, 2015
Management doesn't care if you have the resources to do your job. Do not point out a problem or patient care issue you will be punished. It was a great place to work about 2 years ago, now it just strange. Management by people who have no background in your service, if you choose to work there know your place and shut up.
Pros
Nice weather
Cons
A lot of petty stuff, no help.
Great place for great people to do great work.
Per Diem Radiologic Technologist II (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 28, 2013
I very much enjoyed working for this company. I felt very much part of a team with one unified goal. We worked well together in order to provide quality care in a timely and efficient manner.
Pros
advancement options, great team of people, great environment
Cons
14 hour shifts can be a bit lengthy
Create Latino Health Programs and community Outreach
Spanish Community Educator (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 7, 2012
Develop and create Latino community health and outreach programs.
Teach community health courses. Partner with various community agencies to advocate health within the Latino community.
Pros
ability to bring small children to work.
Cons
little opportunity for advancement.
Working at Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center in Reno, NV
Admissions/Surgical Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 4, 2012
I have loved working at St. Mary's for the past 4 yrs. I was the ED Case Manager for 3yrs. and had a wonderful relationship with Physicians and nurses. I am trusted and respected by all. I became the surgical case manager one year ago and loved this job as well, working with a great team. I am currently going to critical care to do case management and will be working closely with the hospitalists once again. I have learned much about appropriate admission status, Medicare and Medicaid rules and regulation, DRGs, CPT Codes, denials, and even more about chart review. I have always had excellent communication and teaching skillls but this job has aloud me to expand this area of my expertise. I enjoy my job but do not feel that I am moving forward. I see no opportunity for growth toward a leadership role at this time and am currently working on my Masters in nursing leadership. I have had three managers since I have been in case management with only one having experience in case management. This is probably the most difficult part of my job because my co-workers and myself are knowledgeable in our positions. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I do possess the knowledge to do my job and my co-workers trust me.
Pros
i live 5 blocks from the hospital
Cons
currently going through a takover by a new company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center Reviews by Location