Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

One of the top five Hospitals in Northern Nevada
Network Buyer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 21, 2016
Preparation and negotiation of purchasing contracts. I set and maintained stock levels for purchasing departments. Prepared Capital acquisitions.
I learned the challenges that a hospital is up against. How to balance budget cuts while maintaining excellent patient care.
I worked with at great team that was very supportive of each other.
Pros
Great hospital that truly cares for the patient.
extremely busy under new management
Patient Access Rep (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 30, 2016
St Mary's was a great place to work until the company got sold. New management came in and restructured the entire hospital, laying off multiple long time employees. My co-workers were amazing, but the management did not encourage a good job work/life balance. Simple things such as drinking water was discouraged, security constantly watched us from video cameras and took still shots and passed them around the hospital. I didn't learn much of anything because management did not include us in the daily advancements of the department
Pros
Cons
location
Patient Account Registrar (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 3, 2016
I was given such an amazing and exciting opportunity to work for Saint Mary's. A typical day at work was always busy with patient registration. I learned so many new things about how the hospital works, and how the department was run. Co-workers were always so nice and friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was when insurances wouldn't run in the system and you had to manually call to verify it.
director don't care about employees
EVS Tech (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARSeptember 12, 2016
Director is the worst person to work for. He goes through employees. Doesn't care about employees. If you don't go to break on time you get scolded.
Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 21, 2016
This company provides great patient care and benefits to the employees. When the new company took over, they cut the employees pay, but otherwise a great company.
Pros
Great patient care
Cons
pay scale
Big turnover in the lab...phlebotimist do not get paid enough
phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARJanuary 23, 2016
some days are busier than others, but when it is busy it's only one phlebotomist for the whole hospital this includes: ER (you are always called down to draw ER patients when there is like 5 nurses down there that can draw patient) 4th floor, ICU, Women and Children, Labor and Delivery, Rehab, Psych, Cancer Center at times when the patient can easily walk over to outpatient and get blood drawn so this means phlebotomist can have 6 noon draws but has to find a way to go and get that draw as well. Management in the Lab seems to care but it is stressful at times and when you bring up issues, the issues don't really ever get solved. You walk a lot you can walk up to 6 miles on a 12 hour shift or more. The pay is not enough maybe that is why there is a high turn over rate, and when you get a raise it is not even enough or not worth it. It's like a slap in the face.
Pros
good scheduled days
Cons
not enough pay
fast paced and very intense
Certified Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 5, 2015
Working with patients and closely with surgeons and other staff to keep the flow with in the operating room to protect and make sure the operation run smoothly and safely for the patient and all crew that is involved.
Pros
keeps you involved and busy all day
Cons
potiential to have conflict with staff if you do noot stay out of gossip
easy place to work
Radiology Scheduler/Orders Specialist (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 16, 2016
great bosses, easy work, have made great relationships with many different offices, learned may new things, walk straight over to the great fitness center everyday after work
Pros
great health benefits
Cons
life insurance isnt a very good plan
Productive and inspiring work environment
Distribution tech (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 19, 2016
Distributed supplies throughout the hospital. Helped anyone as much as you possibly could no matter how busy you were. The patients always come first
Great place for growth in your professional life.
Patient Advocate (Current Employee) –  Reno, NvOctober 24, 2015
Very happy with my work experience here. Company desires to see employees progress and grow in their professional development and career.
Fast paced environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 17, 2015
I felt that everything I did was extremely important to the care of our patients and employees. Much of what I did was confidential in nature and as such carried a level of stress. My co workers were very professional and always helpful. I enjoyed doing my job especially when I got to see the end results.
Before working at the hospital I never realized how much the community, state and federal government had to do with healthcare.
Painful place to work
SPD (Former Employee) –  RenoMarch 22, 2015
Management doesn't care if you have the resources to do your job. Do not point out a problem or patient care issue you will be punished. It was a great place to work about 2 years ago, now it just strange. Management by people who have no background in your service, if you choose to work there know your place and shut up.
Pros
Nice weather
Cons
A lot of petty stuff, no help.
Per Diem Registered Nurse, BSN (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, MEDecember 28, 2013
I work on a unit that demonstrates team work and good communication skills.
I have learned many hands on skills for many types of patients that I otherwise feel I would not have gained with out being on the Medical/ Surgical floor.
A typical day can range from 3-5 patients per nurse ranging in acuity.
The most enjoyable part to working here is the sense of community and the ability to make a difference in someones life and being recognized after being a patient advocate.
Pros
Self scheduling in most cases.
Very fast paced work and challenging experience
Material Management Employee (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 11, 2012
The day starts with organizing and planning how you will restock all the supplies in the hospital from the report sheet. The manager will go over what is urgent and what to look out for. It's very fast paced because it is a busy hospital. Sometimes I am with 2 partners, and sometimes just by myself. It requires a lot of things to memorize, to have sense of urgency, and good telephone and face to face communications to work efficiently. The best part of the job is knowing that you did a good honest day of work, and being recognized for it by other staff.
Pros
challenging, improve communication skills, fast paced
Cons
short staffing
Stressful on a daily basis
Medical records processor (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 21, 2012
Short staffed, favortism with a capital "F". If you weren't liked by your managers or director you were told "NO" to everything you asked for to help you succeed in your position. There is ALOT of dead weight through out that dept that holds it back and the administration knows who they are. Medical records needs a good clean sweep of people who have been there longer than 20 years.
Pros
pleasant co-workers
Cons
bad management
Christian environment was wonderful.
Executive Assistant to the Chief Medical Officer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 8, 2012
This company allowed me the feeling of helping those in need. The work force was wonderful and we all had a common goal of giving the patient and each other the best we had to offer. I enjoyed working with the Chief Medical Officer, the Chief Nursing Officer and the VP of Mission Integration. All wonderful and intelligent individuals.
Pros
christian environment
Cons
company sold!
Horrible
Former employee (Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 16, 2015
If you are a supervisor, you are basically a glorified babysitter. Your manager is unapproachable and does not take the time to help you.
You are left out to float. Do not recommend the supervisor for admitting. Run from this position
Pros
Cons
Negative atmosphere
Great place for great people to do great work.
Per Diem Radiologic Technologist II (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 28, 2013
I very much enjoyed working for this company. I felt very much part of a team with one unified goal. We worked well together in order to provide quality care in a timely and efficient manner.
Pros
advancement options, great team of people, great environment
Cons
14 hour shifts can be a bit lengthy
Create Latino Health Programs and community Outreach
Spanish Community Educator (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 7, 2012
Develop and create Latino community health and outreach programs.
Teach community health courses. Partner with various community agencies to advocate health within the Latino community.
Pros
ability to bring small children to work.
Cons
little opportunity for advancement.
Creative work environment
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARAugust 17, 2014
Best part of position was working with the public in variety of capacity's from monthly luncheons with community to greeting card contest with local elementary school.
Pros
Rarely at desk; perfect position for active employee.
Cons
unpredictable management.

Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center Reviews by Location