Saint Paul Public Schools Employee Reviews

Sped
Special Education Coach & Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 4, 2017
The bulk of my career has been in SPPS and would highly recommend it to others. I truly am thankful for what I have learned in SPPS.

I would love the opportunity to have a Director/Supervisor position in SPPS and leverage my experience and licensure area.
Overall Good Place To Work
Education Assistant/Academic Support (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 29, 2017
I have enjoyed my time at SPPS. The student's are the best part of my job. Administrators can build up a school or destroy it. It is great to be a part of a union. The as an EA having someone looking out for your pay, and benefits and making sure that you are treated well is wonderful.
non-profit schools
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 10, 2017
Saint Paul Schools like many urban school districts face many challenges to educating students primarily living in poverty. Teachers and staff are very dedicated.
enjoyed making new relationships with the scholars
Teachers Assistant 2 (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 1, 2017
Everyday was something new
very over whelming
sometimes you get attached with feelings
you feel like a slave working and not getting anywhere
you do way more work than you get payed for
all the work gets done because of you while the staffing above you does nothing
benefits
Cons
short breaks not enough pay
Great company
Paraprofessional/ Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 10, 2017
I love working for this company. You do get excellent benefit's and all of your co workers are nice and willing to help you. I do like how the students are welcoming and the environment is wonderful to be in.
Its only ok
Custodial Engineer (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 28, 2017
lots of people. Good benefits and pay, time off but the older staff show some incompetence in regards to communication and work flow..................
Pros
Benefits and pay
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 6, 2017
If you are lucky you are left with lessons plans, seating charts, etc. More often than not, you will punt. If you are lucky, other staff will come in to check on you.
Fast Pace
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNNovember 30, 2016
Great experience and learned a lot regarding child development and learning disabilities. Work atmosphere fast past dealing with 35 different behaviors.
good
Dance Instructor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 9, 2016
good place to work at. the teachers and staff are great. Many of the students are rude disrespectful. They are hard to communicate to. The good kids, make this job a wonderful and joyful job.
Review
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 7, 2016
o Provide sensory, motor, and behavioral interventions for children with physical, developmental, and cognitive deficits
o Collaborate with interdisciplinary team, teachers, and parents to assist elementary and secondary students self-regulate
Ever changing work climate over +35 years.
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 2, 2016
Outstanding collaboration and professional development over the 35+ years of my career. Shifts in leadership/management expectations transformed many programs. Workload often overwhelming with not enough support.
Teacher Assistant
TEACHER ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 2, 2016
Really love worked here... one of the best jobs i have worked! Would recommend this job too anybody interesting in working in the school system!
A great time to apply
Teaching Assistant 1 - Galtier Elementary (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 18, 2016
As the teaching pool decreases, more teachers will be needed. The work is challenging, hours long, but seeing the growth and sharing the lives of students and families make this job so much more important.
cooking at work
Nutrition Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 9, 2015
prepared meals for children, cleaned dishes, and surrounding areas, prepped next day foods. stored goods. took temps. started over for the next day.
Pros
cooking, cleaning.
Cons
picking up others slacks, when i had to do it all the time.
Great envivronment for both employees and students
Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 30, 2015
I enjoyed my time working in Saint Paul Public schools and felt it was worthwhile and that I was valued. The administration and teachers worked hard to create a constructive and positive environment for teaching and learning.
spps
TA2 special education (Former Employee) –  saint paul,mnAugust 13, 2015
SPPS was a very good place to work, until the organization has gone through restructuring and i believe it as a whole has lost its purpose of serving the children the best to its ability.
Pros
the kids
Cons
leadership or lack of leadership
fun working environment with children
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  saint paul, mnApril 15, 2015
great opportunities working with children from grade level pre-k to 5 grade. A lot of experience and great benefits. The co-workers are great people to be working with
Very demanding eductional setting.
Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 18, 2015
Very stressful demands of teachers. Co-workers are wonderful, helpful, productive.
Pros
Helping students succeed.
Cons
Unrealistic expectations.
Actively trying to improve education culture
Nutrition Services (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 6, 2015
cultural shifts take time and in education it will be longer
Positive work environment
Duties - Assisting teachers (Current Employee) –  St PaulOctober 18, 2014
A typical day at work will find me helping to guide students in the educational pursuits at the primary level as well as helping to redirect negative behaviors that impede the students in their path to academic success.
I have a positive, professional environment with my co-workers and management; I maintain a well-respected reputation with the staff and the students.
The most challenging part of my day is in the fact that I m often not doing much more than helping to maintain behaviors in the school as opposed to actually helping students learn anything of value; but I do enjoy those brief moments when the students are enjoying the learning process.
Pros
Working with educators
Cons
low pay for education and experience