Saks Fifth Avenue Employee Reviews

Big store, Big personality
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2017
Starting out as a sales associate at Saks Fifth Avenue in New York at the flagship was a bit intimidating. The store is so large and it definitely takes a few weeks to get stockrooms down and adjust to the size. The staff are friendly for the most part, however, some associates that have been there for several years don't take too kindly to newcomers.

I learned a lot about existing designer brands and got to learn about up and coming designers as well. Saks Fifth Avenue had a decent benefits package. Their employee discount was excellent and everyone enjoyed taking advantage of it.
Pros
Employee discount, cafeteria
Cons
workplace culture
Great company but needs work
Brand Ambassador/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60611September 29, 2016
The management team is great. Very helpful and encouraging. However the pay structure in the company for their sales associates is pitiful. Associates cannot survive on that. It makes it really hard to continue to be hopeful in an environment with a revolving door of employees when its because the pay is what a 15 year old would make at some part time minimum wage job. There is also no room for growth unless you are willing to move and even then it takes years to get an opportunity such as that. The best is a Brand Ambassador position and even then its not a big raise its quite sad actually. The company has so much potential because they have all the right people they just need to make the right changes for there sale associates who are in the field doing the dirty work and bringing in that money to continue a growing store and company.
Pros
Management team
Cons
Pay
No work life balance
Live Help Representative (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 28, 2016
This would be the ideal job if they practiced work life balance for the call center. We do not have holidays off and have to work mandatory overtime majority of the year. So by the time the holidays roll around we are burned out from working over everyday and working our off days. There is really no room for advancement within the call center. You can either keep your position or move to another department if they have an opening.
Pros
Remote work is available, healthcare and benefits
Cons
No work life balance
Productive, reliable, works great with others, loves learning new things.
Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJanuary 9, 2017
A day at work is good. I get to work early, hate being late. Clock in and get to working 3rd party account payments, and clear the queue for credit fraud, making sure that the customers, who had their identity stolen, are not held reliable for their credit bureau scoring issues. I handle the mail, and also assist with answering phones if the call volume is high.
Pros
Free food and they celebrate customer appreciation with games.
Cons
Health benefits
Great retail company
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLDecember 26, 2016
If you like retail this is the place. Competitive pay and benefits make this a great place to develop your career. The higher management is a bit hard to get a hold of but other than that its a great place to work.
Pros
Benefits and growth opportunities
Cons
Well its retail which means retail hours and schedules
stressful
Clerical Alterations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 20, 2017
as a Clerical in the alterations department, there are good days and bad. Most of my days are a happy medium. Times can be stressful with select customers, and employees I work with.
Pros
geat benifits, good hours, amazing over time.
Cons
needs better management.
Growth and Fun
Designer Handbags (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2016
Saks is a great company to work for. You really feel like you are in charge of your own business in cultivating customers into clients. Although there isn't really room for advancement it is still a very satisfying job. Managers are very friendly and easy to talk to. They really do try to balance your personal and work time so it benefits you. The most enjoyable part of my job is the connections I make with my clients and how I make them feel when they leave.
Pros
40% Discount
Cons
Commission Based
Stock Supervisor Men's Shoes/Personal Furnishings (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2016
Hardest part of this job is no advancement.No matter how much work you take on there is no compensation.Very little life/work balance,be taken advantage of
Productive fun place.
Certified Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 17, 2017
Fixed shifts
Good benefits.
Good work environment.
Great clients.
People to work with are good for the most part.
Management is helpful.
Hardest part are walkups.
Terrible experience when applying for sales role at Miami new store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 6, 2016
Sloppy HR processing and unprofessional higher management interviewing, they lost my application and endede up offering a job i havent applied to without warning of benefits and lowest pay ever.

Demanding start by oneself in the luxury world.
Great place to grow
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 31, 2016
I applied for employment at Saks with specific goals in mind, in which I was able to reach in three months of employment. I went in knowing that I wanted to learn, meet people, build clientele, be promoted, and bring great skills to the company. I had a very supportive group of managers that loved me, my work, and fully supported me helping me reach my goals. Saks may not be for everyone because of sales, but if you want success it's extremely possible with this company as long as you work hard.
Pros
Benefits, Flexible schedule, Fashion shows, generous discounts, Lots to learn, Culture
havertys
Style Assistant (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLOctober 5, 2016
great store and management team, very understanding, a little quit not a fast paste for those that like to be on the go, not your place. good benefits and enjoyable.
Abusive, and unprofessional
Fifth Avenue Club assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 31, 2016
Let me break this position down to you as best as possible, especially since I know what it's like to try and research a position no one has provided feedback on. As a FAC Club assistant you'll be assisting unappreciative, money hungry stylists who'll have you doing their job plus yours. While management together with the stylists act busy, you'll actually be the one running their business for them with no compensation, and very little pay. You'll also receive very little training and will be expected to know everything (so just always be ready to make mistakes, and get yelled at for them). This place is extremely abusive, mentally & emotionally that I'm surprised there are still assistants. You're dealing with stylists who are gaining commission which puts them on edge, not to mention their over demanding, extremely entitled clientele. Due to the stress, lack of sleep, and personal problems (you'll gain full knowledge of), ALL will be taken out on you. If you're in the club wanting to gain any productive, creative, fulfilling experiences, especially after college - do not apply. The management sucks, and are extremely unprofessional. You'd think that such a "well respected" company would provide you with the best training, mentoring and work environment, however it is the complete opposite. Overall, no one cares about your improvement at the club career wise, you could do better. Also, they make the discount sound so great! Except it only counts towards a small batch of brands/designers who agree to it, not to mention how you have to take out and use a Saks credit card, lol.
Pros
Cons
Staff, pay rate, treatment, cafeteria, hours
excellent culture
Human Resources Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYAugust 3, 2016
The workers were of diverse backgrounds. Not only did you learn about the job, but you also learned about different cultures. The pay was decent, and the benefits were excellent. Tuition reimbursement, medical and dental plan, life insurance and road side assistance.
Pros
free lunches for employees
Cons
really short breaks
Challenging and Rewarding
Armani Collezioni Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 27, 2016
Saks offers an opportunity like no other. You have the possibility to make great money as they do carry some of the best merchandise available.When busy, your revenue stream can be quit rewarding. You do have to build your client list, but no different as in any other business this is key to your success.

I have worked in 2 different locations,and being in management positions myself I have found management to work diligent as well as being effective in there day to day task. Overall extremely friendly, courteous and approachable.The most rewarding part of the day to day is the connections you make with your clients. I do feel Saks should offer sales training as to better equip there associates for higher success, therefor avoiding a high turnover.

If your looking to challenge yourself in an environment that will sharpen your skills in sales, building relationships, and the fundamentals of personal growth, Saks Fifth Avenue will give you the tools to succeed in your career.

Pros
Challenging environment to further your career in sales
Cons
Very little room for advancement
Highly stressful environment other sales associates were , for the most part very rude and uncooperative
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 13, 2016
Very highly competent staff, but rude and highly competitive. There was a group of women who tried to overtaken management and set up some of the sales staff to be fired. I was not fired and think I was a good representative of the company. I think others were worried that I would get ahead and tried to set me up. I quit because of the stress.
Pros
Enjoyed selling and excellent sales person. Enjoyed fashion
Cons
Arrogant co workers
Not a good place at all!😞
Risk (Former Employee) –  MSMay 5, 2016
Worked there 7 months then was finally offered my benefits. Training is not done properly there. You sit at the supervisor desk and shadow her for 3 weeks or however long she can stand it. Then you on ur own. They hire ppl left and right there. You have to work from 3 diff banners with pulling and working customers orders. And my personal opinion is that they dont pay enough for all that. Place completely stressed me out to the point I lost weight and was barely eating. Supervisor(s) are very fake and messy especially in the risk/fraud dept. They will smile and play with you and stab you in your back. They talk about the co-workers business among one another to another supervisor. Also to your co-workers. They show favoritism to who they want. I was being picked on constantly for no reason. I came in did my work. Barely talked but somehow I was always a problem. So I eventually quit. And I gained my weight back and is at peace due to being away from a highly stressful environment. They only care about them self so take care of you when it's all said and done💯
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, short to lil notice of overtime
Saks Fifth Avenue
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 1, 2016
During my time at Saks, I learned the fundamental aspects of working for a department store that is cross continental. I learned the importance of time management as well as insuring orders were shipped and filled in a timely manner moreover the importance of maintaining a core relationship as well as networking with fundamental accounts that were an asset to the company.

My daily tasks consisted of following up on emails, tracking packages determining where certain merchandise would go. Representing the company in more than one occasion when it came to the buying week. I worked directly .or more than one occasion with the the CEO and vice president of Saks, I also worked directly with the store manager of Saks this of course was for the Saks company in NYC

The hardest part of the job was the inability to determine whether their was an ability to grow within the company, as well as the lack of job security.

However during my time at this company I was able to grow and learn the necessary tools that have shaped me into a working member of society.
Pros
Great Team environment, Great office
Cons
Scheduling, communication
Tough Start
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLAugust 12, 2016
tough start in building client book.
terrible draw vs. commission payout structure.
varied commission percentages 6-10 percent
expensive benefits.
great discount
Good job
Department Selling Manager (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJune 22, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Saks in Chevy Chase. I enjoyed the team, the atmosphere, and the work load was totally doable. The only reason that I left was my commute. I was driving too far to get to work. I would highly recommend this company to others.
Pros
Beautiful store-fabulous product
Cons
The compensation could have been better.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Saks Fifth Avenue. Our community is ready to answer.

76%