Saks Fifth Avenue Employee Reviews

Cool work place
Style Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2017
I wouldn't suggest working here if you're looking for great compensation. Saks is drawer vs. commission. So whenever you get a return that money is deducted out of your next check. Management is more of dictatorship than being a leader.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Horrible co-workers
The job was fun and exociting the materials were fresh.
Freelance Designer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 17, 2017
Just management was upto no good in my mind. Buisness was very slow and didnt see room for growth. I learned a great deal abput reial visual merchandising.
Ok place to work
Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 17, 2017
If you are interested in fashion and like selling Saks is a great place to work. If you have other goals in life other than that, it will do as a stepping stone.
Pros
Not much labor required
Cons
Little chance to advance
No room for growth
Sales Representative and Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 14, 2017
Sales and everything was good for me. My only problem was I did not have a sale manager to report back to . I wanted to grow with the company and help with openings of new locations
Great place to work for most of my career there.
Visual Stylist (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 13, 2017
For most of the 20 years of my employment, Saks Fifth Avenue was an excellent place to work. Enjoyed the creativity and freedom to go above and beyond the parameters of the corporate directives. But it was acquired by Hudson Bay Company several years ago and since then there have been several changes and cutbacks both corporately and store wide.
because of a decision to cut the visual staff from 4 to 2, I was one of 2 who were laid off.
Pros
For most of my time there it was a wonderful, family atmosphere.
Cons
Current ownership
the most enjoyable part of the job
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 13, 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to express myself. I get to dress the mannequins in styles i this best fit. I also get to come up and choose what goes in the wow areas of the store the attracts the customer and always becomes a good ice breaking conversation between customers and associates and i think that is important. overall it was great job to be my creative self.
Horrible company to work for
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Bal Harbour, FLAugust 11, 2017
Since the sale of Saks to HBC, things have gone downhill. It has become a toxic environment that shows no loyalty to its long time and loyal employees. They throw people out like trash. The upper management is uncaring and not friendly. The benefits are also terrible and costly. The new people being hired have no clue how to conduct themselves or act in a professional environment. Guess that's what happens when you hire just anyone with barely any experience. I would definitely not recommend anyone to work here.
ehh, not too fond!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYAugust 10, 2017
Typical retail. Constant recovery. I quit because the hours were horrible!!!!!! And my coworkers were very rude, ratchet, gossipy, and immature. I felt like I was in high school.... Not even, I felt like i was in middle school with all the drama. Saks did a very poor job with hiring employees because most of them were very negative and mean... One thing i did love was that management genuinely cared for their employees. We were rewarded and acknowledged for our good hard work!
Pros
Great discount
Cons
unfriendly coworkers
Fast-Paced Environment
Junior Stylist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2017
Fast-paced environment.
Friendly & high energy co-workers.
Hardest part is the commute.
Management is great.
I learned that the client is always right!
Most enjoyable part of job is taking a client out of their comfort zone and dressing them in fabulous merchandise.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
health care, cost to work in NYC, hours
You get what you put into it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 9, 2017
Fast, fun, friendly, do your required tasks and everything is a cake walk, but for some people it's hard to do the required tasks and meet your personal numbers/ goals. If you're good at achieving high numbers then you'll be set and rewarded/ compensated well.
Pros
Always events going on, food, drinks, BBQs, desserts, discounts
Cons
Sometimes you get drowned in customers, nothing else to really complain about from my experience
Fast Paced, Busy, Fun Workplace
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach, FLAugust 9, 2017
A typical day of a store merchandiser team member would include taking truck to floor merchandise and making sure everything that hits the floor is presented in the proper manner according to Saks standards. I learned how to operate a ticketeting gun, complete transfers, perform RTV's, wrap, pack and send packages, fill .com/store to store locator orders. You will be assigned one area to maintain, mine of which switched from filling locator orders, to mens merchandising and then women's shoes merchandising. The managers are very involved with salespeople, and achieving numbers but leaves SMT to the backburner I feel. Management was good mostly, but I feel there is a lot that is hidden to us. The hardest part of the job is knowing you can put in your all into your work and still end up without a job. The most enjoyable part was going to work everyday doing something I loved, which was fashion and merchandising.
Toxic workplace
Beauty Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 9, 2017
If you are able to sell high volume and ignore coworkers around you that are not selling. This is the job for you. If you do not mind being treated terribly by management, this job is for you. If you like working where the idolize bad behavior,'from top to bottom. Then you will for right in!
Pros
Training lunches.
Cons
Manament thay talks to you like you are a dog.
work
Shoe Specialist (Former Employee) –  Short Hills, NJAugust 8, 2017
learning about product;
making commission; interacting with customers; reaching out to customers;
reaching sales goals;
setting up trunk shows; flexible hours
Pros
hours and commissions
Cons
working Sunday(s)
Was once a good place.
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2017
Company has changed 10 fold with the HBC take over low moral with multiple job layoffs they like to tell you months prior to a major lay off that one is coming to make people feel for tgere jobs. Twice in 4 years no raise based on economy. Upper management manages people with fear. Relationship with fellow co workers made it enjoyable.
Pros
Good place to make connections and working with fellow staff was a plus
Cons
Identity crisis, lack of luxury, horrid moral
Review
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 7, 2017
Could be a great job but management is terrible and management does not care about associates at all. Product is beautiful but the people were just rude and did not care for us.
Working with top of the line Clothing and accessory merchandise
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 7, 2017
Typical day was developing and contacting customer base for either weekly needs or promoting new products that came in weekly shippings. Learned a lot about the clothing industry and Accessory wares. Management was well organized and efficient. Lots of comraderie between employees. Hardest part was producing sales numbers consistantly. Enjoyable part was employees I worked with and the opportunity to serve some famous notables.
Pros
Servicing financial Upper Class People
Cons
not a good paying job
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MSAugust 7, 2017
I enjoy working for Saks because I like working with people. It is stressful. The pay is not enough, The benefits are not good. I need a better job with better pay.
Pay structure
Brand Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10022August 5, 2017
The turn around rate is extremely high bye to how the employees are paid. Drawer vs comisión means you start the week owning the company money.. and the health insurance is not the best
Nice place to work fulfilling real needs of people.
Personal Fashion Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ladue, MOAugust 3, 2017
Ascertaining people needs, fulfilling them and following up to be assured your customer was totally satisfied. Inquiring if they might have future needs that you could help with resulting in repeat customers and larger profits.
Pros
Being creative, and making the customer ecstatic by giving them an entirely new look, polishing up an existing look
Cons
quotas
nice employee cafeteria.
Sales Specialist, Women's Outerwear (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 1, 2017
Very lovely sales environment, upscale clientele. There is no store like Saks Fifth Avenue for the finest in merchandise. It can be a little stodgy, but very modern styles are shown there as well. Very expensive, but worth the trip. Co-workers are diverse and very
nice and friendly. Teamwork is encouraged. Sales associates
must be knowledgeable in order to sell their product.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Saks Fifth Avenue. Our community is ready to answer.