Salem Health Employee Reviews

Fast paste, very busy
Registrar (Current Employee), Dallas, ORJune 20, 2015
Lots of interaction with patients. Verifing their personal information so they can be billed correctly. I enjoy working alone or with others. I really like working with the patients. I like to help others and to know that my smile can make their day that is inportant to me
Great staff to work with, Management not so good
Technician (Former Employee), Salem, OROctober 14, 2014
Pros: hourly staff are easy to work with and great people, medical staff are some of the best in the world.
Cons: management from the top down is not qauilfied in most case to do the job theyare in, hr is out of touch with the real world and does not care about the employees.
Management is not well trained, to many levels of management, most of which are not qualified for the job, but got there because they were liked by someone in upper management. Upper management in most cases are there because they out lasted everyone else. There is no compassion for blue collar workers, only demands to do or get out. Many staff are hired because they are friends of managers, not qualified at all, making the job of qualified staff harder as they have to train the new hires, and do their work, plus all the "Employee Improvement programs" which are mandatory, however do not really help the staff do a better job in any way.

HR is not in sync with the real world or the goings on of the departments, leads are allowed to treat staff any way they see fit, with no repercussion what so ever.

Overall, just a very stressful company to work for. If real management was in place, and an HR department that was in touch with reality, it would be a great place, but that's not the case.
Good benefits, slow pay increases
Information Security Analyst (Current Employee), Salem OregonSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: salary people get some freedom
Cons: no promotions, nurses get all recognition.
Slow pay increases and technical people don't get recognition. Have not way to increase pay. Management is tough and doesn't make decisions or listen.
Interesting work environment
Desktop Associate (Current Employee), Information ServicesMarch 18, 2014
Working at Salem Health is not a bad situation but the job I had and the ability to advance is a bit lacking for someone in my standing and position.
Salem Health is a very "feel good" place to work, people are genuinely happy to be there and work for the hospital. Very nice atmosphere and well run
Service Line Manager (Current Employee), Salem, ORJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: very progressive magnet hospital
Cons: i have a very long commute everyday driving through portland...162 miles round trip, it's killing me.
Typical day includes standard work for the managers and rounds on employees and surgeons. I have learned more about the LEAN methodology and become more organized. Management at the hospital is very progressive and fair to their employees, also take action when needed with individuals needing an attitude adjustment, including medical staff. I work with 4 other service line managers and we are directly under the VP of Surgical Services. The hardest part of my job is connecting with my employees as much as I would like...lots of meetings. Most enjoyable part is when I do get time to spend with employees and touching someone's life who may be having some difficulties.
Just Run the Otherway
Trainer (Former Employee), Salem, ORApril 27, 2013
Pros: free coffee, parking
Cons: everything else
Management is horrible, staff, especially women are backstabbing.
Found the quality of their environment is lacking in communications, tools, workflow and just plain common sense. The CIO as an MD is clueless and this has results in apathy for most employees in the IT Department. The feel good environment introduced at orientation is quickly replaced with a procrastination and "not my problem" environment. The staff role model leaderhip poor attitudes. There some good "worker bees" but they are stiffed by mangement. I would not work here, nor seek medical care after I experienced the work environment.
Worst management ever!
Previous staff (Former Employee), Dallas, ORFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: some nice employees
Cons: no long term stability
Management is cutting jobs and firing long term employees. Not a stable place to work for, unless you are related to or sleeping with admin or higher, which is accepted by HR. HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK!
Excellent place to work with ability to advance
Medical Equipment Technician (Former Employee), Salem, ORDecember 30, 2012
Spent thirty years with great fellow employees and alot of equipment to repair. Something different every day
Salem Health is a great place to work
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee), Salem, ORMarch 28, 2012
I enjoyed everything about being an employee of Salem Health.
MDs and Staff Nurses are the most fantastic people to work with
Staff RN (Former Employee), Salem, OregonDecember 30, 2011
Pros: real heros, great mds, great nurses, great staff, wonderful patients
Cons: 12 hour shift, computer unreliable, slow, crashing
Challenging fast-paced work in the acute care setting. Cancer patients are the best and most wonderful people to be around. So giving and they have such a real perspective of life because they know they face death.