Salem State University

Salem State University United States Employee Reviews

a genuine atmosphere of culture and excellence
Digital Geographic's Laboratory (Former Employee), Salem, MAApril 2, 2015
Pros: Free breakfasts
Cons: updating administrative data
As a former undergraduate and employee of Salem State University, I appreciated the value given and provided by a focused group who persevered at making differences for all. The faculty made a difference for the students with their endless support and encouragement to projecting everyone's future of accomplishment. The students took a responsibility to ensure faculty that they trusted in their advisement and judgement and reciprocated what they learned by improvising ideas that brought the faculty to where they are today. I must admit this had an impact on my relationship to other students and faculty. Trusting their advisement and building that in my skills of action demonstrated my readiness for the world outside of campus. My co-workers were delightful to work with and share experiences that established connections that would never break. The ending result was having each other's back and relying on support that would lift one another up when we felt discouraged. The hardest part of the job was leaving and breaking a routine that set a comfort zone among us and our everyday interactions. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my clients' spirits lifted after taking initiative in the effort to try a new direction in their learning but benefit in their confidence by listening to my field expertise when I guided them in their learning.
GOOD JOB,COULD BE BETTER WORK CONDITIONS
STOREKEEPER III (Current Employee), Salem, MAMarch 25, 2015
THE UNIVERSITY IS A GOOD WORKING EXPERIENCE.
A DRAWBACK IS THE ADVANCEMENT PART AS IT IS HEAVILY UNIONIZED AND THAT,WHILE BEING A STEP UP TO ANOTHER JOB SOMETIMES CAN BE A LENGTHLY AND FRUSTRATING
EXPERIENCE.
MANAGEMENT DOES NOT SEEM TO TAKE TOO SERIOUSLY THE INPUT AND EXPERIENCE OF ITS EMPLOYEES,RATHER RELYING ON THEIR MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCES TO MAKE,IN
THEIR OWN MIND, DECISIONS ON HOW TO OPERATE.
They will continue to surprise the North Shore
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee), Salem, MAMarch 17, 2015
Pros: lots of them including state benfits
Cons: make sure you work in an office that is a correct fit for you
I really enjoyed working for SSU. Great people, good hours, long lunches, understanding bosses and a growing campus that supports cultural diversity
Excellent university for working professionals
Graduate Student, Geo-Information Science (Current Employee), Salem, MAMarch 15, 2015
Salem State University is the Excellent university for working professionals. Due to its offering of evening classes, it is very practical for working professionals to earn their degree. Professors are also quite nice and helpful.
Fun and productive
Computer Specialist III (Current Employee), Salem, MAMarch 4, 2015
Great experience working individually or within a team. Limits to what you can learn depends on your potential. Working at Salem State gives you an opportunity to learn new skills.
Fulfilling work that had me enjoying each day I helped advise a student
Peer Academic Advisor (Former Employee), Salem, MassachusettsFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: convenient scheduling around classes, awesome supervisors always their to assist us with tough questions
Cons: nature of job made for lack of hours until registration periods
Helping undeclared students with their questions about their academic progress. Felt very fulfilling helping students in similar situations as I have been in. Fun coworkers - we acted as a team to aid each other in giving the best advise to students. Toughest part of the job was becoming acclimated to registration period - when tons of students come in for required advising so they know how to and what to register for next semester. After the first registration period experience that time of the year became the best for anyone, including me, who wanted to work for as many hours as we could.
Great school and place to work!
Peer Mentor, Employee and Student Leader (Former Employee), Salem, MANovember 16, 2014
I worked at Salem State University part time while getting my bachelors degree. The Bertolon School of Business is a great place to study and work.
Great Start in the workforce
Student Laptop Supervisor Tier II (Current Employee), Salem, MAOctober 7, 2014
Pros: state job
Cons: easily cut hours
Enjoyable workplace
Great Leadership
Strong Ethical management
The best job that I have had thus far.
Summer Peer Leader (Former Employee), Salem, MASeptember 7, 2014
I would not consider this to be a stressful job. I enjoyed helping the incoming freshman with making the transition from high school to college. It allowed me to put aspects of customer service into play. I had to mentor the freshman in the best way that I knew how to. I loved helping them and watching them grow into mature college students. I learned how to be a professional and a peer at the same time. This was a team oriented workplace. My coworkers and I had to manage about 300 new students. The hardest part of the job was understanding that each student is different so we as workers had to have different ways of interacting with each student. The most enjoyable part was when you find yourself helping them and learning new things about yourself while mentoring. We learned from each other, students and workers.
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Salem, MASeptember 4, 2014
Excellent place to work. My professor that I worked for was great and I learned a lot.
Student Laptop Support
Student Laptop Specialist (Former Employee), Salem, MAAugust 13, 2014
Working at my own school I would have to say was awesome. It was very convenient and flexible around my class schedule. I worked in the Student Information Technology office. I basically help students that would come in to mainly setup Microsoft office, email on mobile devices and connecting to the schools network. We would have our own laptop repairs that we would do on students machines that were bought through the school. It was nice for me because I'm a very hands on person and like to take things apart and back together. I am a definite problem solver, I don't like to leave things hanging, I like to complete every task that I get on the job as best and efficient as possible. Salem State certainly built a lot of my personality skills, working with other students, grasping their needs and getting them underway under our best satisfaction.
Challenging but rewarding
Assistant men's basketball Coach (Former Employee), Salem, MAFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: sustained success
Cons: budget
Practice planning and recruiting.

Management was very efficient.
I learned how to run a program effectively.
My co-workers where very competitive.
The hardest part of this job was leaving a place with so much history.
The most enjoyable part of the job was coaching in the NCAA basketball tournament.
Serious, but enjoyable
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Salem, MAFebruary 17, 2014
As a resident Assistant, there can be many serious situations, but you can also have fun with coworkers and doing programs. The hardest part was balancing school, RA duties, and personal life.
Great job that allows to refresh memory on previously learned topics
Tutor (Current Employee), Salem, MAJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: solidifying previous learned concepts
A typical day consists of helping students as they come in with various questions based on Accounting and Finance based subject matter.
A very enjoyable place to work with great energy.
Field Education Administration (Current Employee), Salem, MADecember 13, 2013
Pros: collegial atmosphere
Cons: part-time position
While there is routine and organization, a typical day depends on the needs of the students so there are a lot of variables and it requires everyone to think on their feet.
Good
VP of the International Student Association (Current Employee), Salem, MANovember 25, 2013
A pretty good school to attend. Great teacher and student life
Excellent Environment
Adjunct lecturer in Education Department (Former Employee), Salem, MAOctober 22, 2013
Being an adjunct meant that I only knew my students and the professors who had me as a student. As a student I LOVED my course work and instructors. As a teacher, I really enjoyed the people I taught.
Fun, Productive
Office Manager/Coordinator (Former Employee), Salem, MAOctober 15, 2013
I loved working there being around a diverse crowd, leadership and planning took place.
Productive and a fun environment where you meet new people
Chauffeur (Former Employee), Salem, MASeptember 25, 2013
Pros: student worker and meeting new people
Cons: work study
A typical day at work would be picking up or meet students according to requests, appointments, or schedules. I had to learn about the Salem area so that I can provide passengers (Salem State students) and sometimes family members that came to visit with information about the local area and points of interest, or give advice on pick up and drop off spots. The hardest part of the job is to vacuum and clean interiors, and wash and polish exteriors of automobiles when need it. The most enjoyable part of the job is communicating with dispatchers (co-workers) by radio, telephone to exchange information and receive requests for passenger service and also getting to talk to the passengers and getting to know the people that I attend school with.
Fun
Mailroom Assistant (Former Employee), Salem, MASeptember 14, 2013
Good place to work. Learned a lot about my job and was able to do numerous things. The manager was great and treated her staff wonderfully