Salem State University Employee Reviews

a typical public institution
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAOctober 6, 2017
If you are looking for security but no advancement in your life, a public higher institution that is based on an outdated educational model is for you.
Good People
Staff Associate (Current Employee) –  Salem, MASeptember 25, 2017
The people here, for the most part, are great to work with. Upper Administration can be a bit out of touch, and people tend to stick around for a LONG time. This leads to people being in positions that they really can't keep up with anymore.

Overall, its been a great experience working here.
Salem State Reslife
Desk Receptionist/ Desk Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAJune 4, 2017
You were able to choose your hours according to your class schedule, which was very beneficial. We were able do homework at the desk while still being attentive to those leaving and entering the building. You were really able to gain customer service skills and working there for 3 years, I have learned a great deal.
Pros
Customer service skills
Cons
Low pay
Calm
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAMay 27, 2017
All of my coworkers were welcoming and engaging. This was a work study, but also a great opportunity to work with a variety of students with a diverse culture.
Students dont care to learn
Finance Tutor (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAMay 19, 2017
As a tutor, my job was to assist fellow students with homework and projects that were assigned throughout the semester. Management never checked on us nor allow an easy channel for discussion.
Pros
great learning environment
Productive place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAMay 11, 2017
Excellent workplace with research opportunity.
Great people and best fot initial career start.

Fun place good people and food plus friday employee perks as well as excellent ethics.
Adjunct employee was a Good Experience
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAMay 2, 2017
I don't have a ton of experience with SSU, although they are my Alma Mater, but my experience as their employee was through adjuncting. I found the experience to be a positive one. My manager was helpful, but seemed overworked. Luckily, I had some connections in the department so I was able to get a syllabus and materials and support through them. They were great!

The hardest part of the job was not having any specific training. I relied on my collegues for things that I probably should have been trained more thoroughly on. I think the pay was reasonable for the responsibility level, but I did hear some muttering about adjuncts being SSU's way of avoiding getting professors onto tenure track positions.
Pros
Fair pay for the responsibility level
Cons
Uncomfortable feeling due to taking away from tenure track professors
Work Study Position
Resident Assistant/Atlantic Hall (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAApril 17, 2017
Working for the Residence Life department was great, as I always enjoyed being an active member of the student life culture. The biggest complaint I would have is the upper management, that barely functions as a working body.
Pros
Great culture, respectful students
Cons
Terrible management
Good To Work With
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Residence LifeApril 17, 2017
I really enjoy working for Salem State University in many different areas such as the Switch Board, Summer Conference Assistant and as an Office Assistant. These jobs were great because my bosses were flexible and understanding when I needed time off whether I was sick or had a family emergency. I would recommend working for the university as a student.
Pros
Flexible, understanding, easy to talk to
Beneficial Workplace with Potential for Improvement
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Salem, MAMarch 27, 2017
Salem State is a very pleasant place to work however there is potential for improvement of the workplace culture.

Salem State's benefits are probably considered their highest quality and their management is also strong.

The culture of the workplace is being worked on but one major difficulty is the lack of opportunity for advancement within the organization.
I will do this on an individual basis if necessary.
Associate Professor of Spanish (Current Employee) –  Salem, MAJanuary 23, 2017
I will be more than glad to do this on an individual basis.
I do not think it is appropriate to my former employer for me to rate them without letting them know. Thank you.
Amazing!!!
Summer Conference Assitant (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAJanuary 7, 2017
Great people to work with and very helpful. I worked there right after I graduated and everyone there was very helpful with trying to help me plan my future.
Good Place to work
Electrician/HVAC Technician (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAOctober 9, 2016
This is a great place to work everyone that works here is really part of a big family that is the way they make you feel which is very nice and refreshing these days.
Excellent Staff
Finance Tutor (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAJuly 14, 2016
Really enjoyed the challenge in teaching other students the different concepts of finance.
Friendly work environment,
Flexible hours
productive and fun workplace with good people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAApril 9, 2016
Taught English classes as an adjunct from 2006 to 2008. Administration was easy to work with and gave me tons of autonomy. Students were a breath of fresh air compared to the high school kids I had during the day!
Great for pocket cash
Residence Hall Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAMarch 13, 2016
Made a lot of great friends who were co-workers we well as residents of the university. Had great supervisors my first and second year working here.
Helpful, convenient and great environment
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Salem, MAMarch 1, 2016
Working in serials and acquisitions, I learned a significant amount about working in an office setting. I became even more sufficient in Microsoft, learned data entry, invoices, etc. I had fantastic management who were very supportive and helpful to me as a student worker, and worked alongside kind, extremely helpful and gracious people. I thoroughly enjoy working for Salem State University Library and have nothing but good words and thanks to give to them for allowing me to work while in school.
Pros
Flexible hours, kind management, positive environment
Cons
None!
stressful and disorganized
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAFebruary 18, 2016
stressful and disorganized stressful and disorganized stressful typical day at work, very dishonest people. no benefits
Working at Salem State
Student Laptop Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAFebruary 15, 2016
I really enjoyed working for the school. I thought I would never have a job in this kind of setting. I liked more of the fact that I had a job right on campus and didn't have to leave till I was done for the day. I enjoyed working with my college's and boss. Along with students, understanding the work flow and environment. The job was pretty straight forward with assisting students with laptop support for the school's network and providing Microsoft Office. We also provided hardware/software repairs for students who purchased laptops through the school.

The student support office also helped with the Orientations for incoming freshman and transfer students. We would give presentations about Student Support for what our services were and how we could be of assistance to students around the campus. Also we had lab attendants in each of the computer labs throughout campus, usually in the mornings and evenings.

This atmosphere really provided me with confidants to be in different areas of campus to not only help students but sometimes faculty. We would help support not only laptops but mobile devices as well, generally with email and sometimes connecting to the network. I'm very thankful for myself to have this opportunity throughout my career at Salem State. If I were to have an opportunity to be a staff member for the IT department I would gladly take any opportunity possible.
Pros
Flexible schedule, nice atmosphere, enjoyed working with students
Cons
low comp
Fun environment
STUDENT INVOLVEMENT AND ACTIVITIES (Current Employee) –  Salem, MAFebruary 2, 2016
Coworkers are enjoyable and give advice and help when necessary. Everyone is always willing to help each other, and enjoy seeing each other grow within our employment.