Salem State University Employee Reviews

Iwas a student and only worked there one semester
Student (Former Employee) –  Salem, MANovember 24, 2015
I was a student in the Nursing Program Although I did work for the Biology department to make media for the students in microbiology to grow bacteria on. The Management was very fair and supportive when I worked there. he hardest part of the job was to fit my schedule around the needs of the department, but they worked things out to make it not so difficult for me.
Pros
Experience, getting to know the staff in the department.
Cons
Trying to make my schedule work around their needs.
Enjoyed working at SSU
PBX Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 10, 2015
Great place to work for. Coworkers were great, enjoyed working there very much. Would recommend anyone. It is large university, president is good and understanding, and so are other coworkers.
Not a great place to work.
Administrative Assistant/Help Line Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salem, MAJuly 29, 2015
I work with a pretty good team.
We have great benefits. I would like to see more organization and fairness to all employees.

The entire department needs to be reorganzied.

The hardest part of my job in not having any of my coworkers follow up with me.

Not every one is a team member.
negative attitudes.
They do not accept change well.
Benefits
Cons
Not a fair place to work. Work not equally distributed.
Leukemia Research
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  601 S. Martin Luther KIng DrJune 21, 2015
Working in the Lab at Winston-Salem State University was a great experience. I was allowed to work with a professor where we worked ECGC substance in Green tea to find a way to prevent leukemia cells from producing. During the research we realize that the higher the concentration of ECGC the less leukemia cells.So basically I learned if you drink Green Tea everyday it is a strong possibility you can prevent the growth of leukemia cells. My co-workers were amazing we worked well together and i learned a lot of them.There wasn't really a hard part of my job I enjoyed every moment of it.
Great Student Position, thats it.
Lab Technition Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAMay 31, 2015
It was a great school position while I was a student. They were very flexible with the schedule while I was taking classes.
Great and fun
Accounting Tutor (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAApril 27, 2015
You get to teach a lot of students that are willing to learn. The people you work with are great and extremely intelligent. A very professional working environment.
a genuine atmosphere of culture and excellence
Digital Geographic's Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAApril 2, 2015
As a former undergraduate and employee of Salem State University, I appreciated the value given and provided by a focused group who persevered at making differences for all. The faculty made a difference for the students with their endless support and encouragement to projecting everyone's future of accomplishment. The students took a responsibility to ensure faculty that they trusted in their advisement and judgement and reciprocated what they learned by improvising ideas that brought the faculty to where they are today. I must admit this had an impact on my relationship to other students and faculty. Trusting their advisement and building that in my skills of action demonstrated my readiness for the world outside of campus. My co-workers were delightful to work with and share experiences that established connections that would never break. The ending result was having each other's back and relying on support that would lift one another up when we felt discouraged. The hardest part of the job was leaving and breaking a routine that set a comfort zone among us and our everyday interactions. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my clients' spirits lifted after taking initiative in the effort to try a new direction in their learning but benefit in their confidence by listening to my field expertise when I guided them in their learning.
Pros
Free breakfasts
Cons
updating administrative data
GOOD JOB,COULD BE BETTER WORK CONDITIONS
STOREKEEPER III (Current Employee) –  Salem, MAMarch 25, 2015
THE UNIVERSITY IS A GOOD WORKING EXPERIENCE.
A DRAWBACK IS THE ADVANCEMENT PART AS IT IS HEAVILY UNIONIZED AND THAT,WHILE BEING A STEP UP TO ANOTHER JOB SOMETIMES CAN BE A LENGTHLY AND FRUSTRATING
EXPERIENCE.
MANAGEMENT DOES NOT SEEM TO TAKE TOO SERIOUSLY THE INPUT AND EXPERIENCE OF ITS EMPLOYEES,RATHER RELYING ON THEIR MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCES TO MAKE,IN
THEIR OWN MIND, DECISIONS ON HOW TO OPERATE.
They will continue to surprise the North Shore
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAMarch 17, 2015
I really enjoyed working for SSU. Great people, good hours, long lunches, understanding bosses and a growing campus that supports cultural diversity
Pros
lots of them including state benfits
Cons
make sure you work in an office that is a correct fit for you
Excellent university for working professionals
Graduate Student, Geo-Information Science (Current Employee) –  Salem, MAMarch 15, 2015
Salem State University is the Excellent university for working professionals. Due to its offering of evening classes, it is very practical for working professionals to earn their degree. Professors are also quite nice and helpful.

Want to know more about Salem State University?

Ask a question
Fun and productive
Computer Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Salem, MAMarch 4, 2015
Great experience working individually or within a team. Limits to what you can learn depends on your potential. Working at Salem State gives you an opportunity to learn new skills.
Fulfilling work that had me enjoying each day I helped advise a student
Peer Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salem, MassachusettsFebruary 3, 2015
Helping undeclared students with their questions about their academic progress. Felt very fulfilling helping students in similar situations as I have been in. Fun coworkers - we acted as a team to aid each other in giving the best advise to students. Toughest part of the job was becoming acclimated to registration period - when tons of students come in for required advising so they know how to and what to register for next semester. After the first registration period experience that time of the year became the best for anyone, including me, who wanted to work for as many hours as we could.
Pros
convenient scheduling around classes, awesome supervisors always their to assist us with tough questions
Cons
nature of job made for lack of hours until registration periods
Great school and place to work!
Peer Mentor, Employee and Student Leader (Former Employee) –  Salem, MANovember 16, 2014
I worked at Salem State University part time while getting my bachelors degree. The Bertolon School of Business is a great place to study and work.
Great Start in the workforce
Student Laptop Supervisor Tier II (Current Employee) –  Salem, MAOctober 7, 2014
Enjoyable workplace
Great Leadership
Strong Ethical management
Pros
state job
Cons
easily cut hours
The best job that I have had thus far.
Summer Peer Leader (Former Employee) –  Salem, MASeptember 7, 2014
I would not consider this to be a stressful job. I enjoyed helping the incoming freshman with making the transition from high school to college. It allowed me to put aspects of customer service into play. I had to mentor the freshman in the best way that I knew how to. I loved helping them and watching them grow into mature college students. I learned how to be a professional and a peer at the same time. This was a team oriented workplace. My coworkers and I had to manage about 300 new students. The hardest part of the job was understanding that each student is different so we as workers had to have different ways of interacting with each student. The most enjoyable part was when you find yourself helping them and learning new things about yourself while mentoring. We learned from each other, students and workers.
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, MASeptember 4, 2014
Excellent place to work. My professor that I worked for was great and I learned a lot.
Student Laptop Support
Student Laptop Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAAugust 13, 2014
Working at my own school I would have to say was awesome. It was very convenient and flexible around my class schedule. I worked in the Student Information Technology office. I basically help students that would come in to mainly setup Microsoft office, email on mobile devices and connecting to the schools network. We would have our own laptop repairs that we would do on students machines that were bought through the school. It was nice for me because I'm a very hands on person and like to take things apart and back together. I am a definite problem solver, I don't like to leave things hanging, I like to complete every task that I get on the job as best and efficient as possible. Salem State certainly built a lot of my personality skills, working with other students, grasping their needs and getting them underway under our best satisfaction.
Challenging but rewarding
Assistant men's basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAFebruary 26, 2014
Practice planning and recruiting.

Management was very efficient.
I learned how to run a program effectively.
My co-workers where very competitive.
The hardest part of this job was leaving a place with so much history.
The most enjoyable part of the job was coaching in the NCAA basketball tournament.
Pros
sustained success
Cons
budget
Serious, but enjoyable
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAFebruary 17, 2014
As a resident Assistant, there can be many serious situations, but you can also have fun with coworkers and doing programs. The hardest part was balancing school, RA duties, and personal life.
Great job that allows to refresh memory on previously learned topics
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Salem, MAJanuary 27, 2014
A typical day consists of helping students as they come in with various questions based on Accounting and Finance based subject matter.
Pros
solidifying previous learned concepts

4.5