Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae Employee Reviews

Not bad
Collection Specialist (Former Employee), Muncie, INMay 28, 2015
Not a bad company to work for. Must work hard to get bonuses. I enjoyed working with my coworkers and direct supervisors. The hardest part is learning to shake off being called names. Have to have a thicker skin.
Great days at Sallie Mae
Customer Service Specialist II (Former Employee), Killeen, TXMay 25, 2015
Pros: Cafeteria onsite
Cons: Closing of Sallie Mae
A typical day included logging in and answering phones. While answering customers questions and needs within the parameters given. I learned how to prioritize. Management was warm and friendly. The hardest part of the job was when they closed the doors.
awesome
Collect student loan (Former Employee), New YorkMay 22, 2015
I love working at sallie mae, collecting student loan and meeting other students like myself. My boss was a nice lady. And it was an good atmosphere to work in.
Fun job, if you work hard pay is great.
Outreach Counselor (Former Employee), Muncie, INMay 21, 2015
Pros: Prize giveaways, good pay
Cons: If you love getting hung up on and cussed out you'll love this job.
Good pay if you work really hard. Bonuses are nice. Management are all really good people and are willing to help. Overall the job gets rough, its basically collections, and even when its not, the customer thinks it is.
Fun Workplace
Private Credit Analyst (Former Employee), Newark, DEMay 20, 2015
Criticism is a very real possibility during your performance review. Nearly everyone has some aspect of their work that they can improve on, so try not to be offended or scared for your job security if you receive some gentle suggestions for improvement. Acknowledge the criticism and move on — don't lose your cool, even if you think your supervisor's criticisms aren't particularly true.
COLLECTIONS
Case Worker (Former Employee), Moorestown, NJMay 18, 2015
THE POSTIONS REQUIRES ONE TO HAVE A CERTAIN TYPE OF ATTITUDE. IF YOU ARE NOT ORGANIZED YOU WONT BE ABLE TO LAST LONG. THEIR SYSTEMS ARE VERY SLOW AND OUT DATED.
productive
Informatica ETL Developer (Former Employee), Columbus,OHMay 6, 2015
Good place to learn
friendly management,
challenging job,
good perks,helping to co-workers,
The most enjoyble part of the job
Intermediate place to work
Collections Specialist (Former Employee), Muncie, INApril 23, 2015
A typical day here consisted of calling clients that were behind on their student loan payments and trying to collect money from them. If a client was unable to make the payments each month we had plans that we were able to enroll them in to meet their financial needs.
Informatica Developer
ETL/Informatica Developer (Former Employee), Canton, MA, USApril 9, 2015
o Binarization : Convert the real time fingerprint into binary representation(0s and 1s)
o Thinning: Reduce the width of the ridges and groves of the binarized fingerprint.
o Extraction of false minutiae features: Recognize the prints that would be generated by sweat or other partials present on the print
o Removal of false minutiae features.
great group setting
Customer service (Former Employee), Fishers, INApril 7, 2015
Pros: incentives
Cons: rest room breaks
up to100to 150 calls a day great management support, teams are well put together great environment open door policy in place
Default Prevention Specialist (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 5, 2015
A typical day at work for this company is simple and laid back. Normally everyone is just working with headphones on just trying to stay productive. The hardest part of the job is trying to stay busy when there is no work. The best part of working here is the employees, they are really funny and outgoing.This was the first opportunity I have ever had to work remotely from home. Initially, I was apprehensive because I am accustomed to working in a large office. However, working from home allowed me to be more productive and have a better work-life balance
Great environment, challenging, with growth potential
Late Stage Collector (Current Employee), Newark, DEMarch 12, 2015
Handling a high influx of in-bound calls pertaining to the the reconciliation and collection of delinquent accounts. Through the day to day operations you will learn a multitude of techniques to assist customers with their personal files. Management is engaged and actively participating with making recommendations on personnel that need advancement.

I get the most satisfaction from assisting customers with their concerns and reconciling their files.
Collector
Collection's Specialist (Former Employee), Muncie, INMarch 11, 2015
Bonuses are a plus, though working on the weekends took time away from family.Turn over rates are large due to the call center environment.
Poor Direction
Email Processing Rep/Business Tech (Former Employee), Wilkes-Barre PAMarch 10, 2015
Pros: decent compensation
Cons: poor management
Poor Management, disengaged, only cared about the answer and now the work. Management spread too thin and no time for employees.
One of the best places to work
QualityAssurance/ Office of Customer Advocate (Former Employee), Hanover, PAMarch 6, 2015
Pros: ambiance, extensive training and a lot of resources, room for growth
Cons: management ‘s ability to lead/guide, healthcare
It is in huge building with employee parking and 24 hour security. The employees have access to a full gym with showers and lockers, at times trainers and yoga instructors. Several break rooms throughout the building and one wellness room (caters to nursing moms). On site café and a patio.
For the most part management is great, very nice and understanding. I wouldn’t say reliable and useful, that just makes you more resourceful.
The work itself varies from department to department. Which it great, this gives you a variety of career options
Overall the moral is great, one of the best companies I have ever worked for, I wish they were located in near me.
A very high pressure job with high turnovers
Private Credit Collection Specialist (Former Employee), Muncie, INFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: the bonus you got if you were able to make goal
On this job it was strictly collections of student loans. We would log into the phone system and the calls would start. We had both auto dialed calls and incoming calls. The hardest part of this job was trying to make the extremely high goals they had for us during a time when so many people were out of work.

My job was to bring accounts current by taking payments, offering repayment options, and lastly putting accounts on hold.
Ehh the fact it's no longer around tells u something lol
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: free soda
Cons: well its gone so job security should have been a issue
people i worked with is the best part , the pay was ok , the rates they charged these kids were ridiculous. I will say they did have decent pay .
Customer Service/Sales
Sales Call center specialist (Former Employee), Wilkes-Barre, PAFebruary 9, 2015
At Sallie Mae I worked as a loan specialist/application representative. We handled questions regarding the available products and applied interested parties to see if they could be approved.
The job was enjoyable and was not very stressful, the people working there were very helpful and great to work with.
the hardest part would be having to advise customers they were not approved based on past credit.
Not what I expected
Servicing Specialist, Mentor (Former Employee), IndianaFebruary 6, 2015
I was able to do some things I really enjoyed. However, there was no sense of responsibility that I could take on and the opportunities were poor. The demands are not too unreasonable. Compared to the compensation though, I wouldn't recommend.
Good Pay, Poor treatment of employees
Servicing Specialist I (Former Employee), Hanover, PAFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: good pay, chance for raises based on performance, good benefits
Cons: strict scheduling, poor treatment of employees
The pay was very good in comparison to what else was available to me, and I was good at what I did. I was well trained in the beginning and complimented on my hard work.

Then my training period ended and I saw the real face or the call center. Strictest scheduling I've ever seen. Literally timed to the second. If you are a total of 60 seconds late in your schedule (this means breaks and lunches, accumulating throughout your day) you get dinged for it. As in, 30 seconds late from break in the morning and 30 seconds late from afternoon break, you are considered one full minute off of schedule and can be reported for it.

Everything is about time and number of calls, not about customer's experience. Management rides your butt constantly about every little thing, even number of papers on your workstation. I fell ill and had no help from management for time off, nor even any leniency on bathroom breaks! A coworker even vomited in her trash can because she could not get time off due to illness, and you are literally tethered to your desk.

I was let go without warning. I missed work due to illness and had no leniency or help from management to make up missed time. I was asked to go to HR, left all of my belongings at my desk, only to be let go. A supervisor cleaned my desk for me, touching my personal belongings without my permission.

1 2 3 4 5

About Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae, founded 28 years ago, provides funds for educational loans, primarily federally guaranteed student loans originated – Read more

Sallie Mae Salaries