Sallie Mae Employee Reviews

Trainers worked hard to get you to understand the system changes.
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 13, 2017
It was difficult trying to compound interest on student loans when the loan holder called in and could not afford the payments that were assigned to them.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
System was down frequently
Temporary position
Customer Service/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 3, 2017
This was a temporary position. The culture seemed easy going and relaxed. Management seemed knowledgeable and open to employee ideas. Work life balance seemed to be positive
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Temporary position
Solid benefits/pay, but yet can be stressful
Customer Resolution/Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INJune 29, 2017
I worked in CRS for over 4 years. Pay was competitive and they had ample OT if one wanted to work it. The job was overall stressful and bonus was sometimes hard to achieve. You get what you put in. Worklife balance was tough but they offer enough PTO to balance it out with prorated goals based of the amt of PTO taken. It was very compliance oriented so be careful and pay attention to detail.
Pros
Benefits, pay, Pto
Cons
Work-life balance, stressful
Okay company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJune 27, 2017
This was not a bad company to work for. They were all very nice and for the most pary, wiling to help anyone out when needed. If you like being on the phone all day then its a good job
Fast Paced Call Center with Irate Customers
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 26, 2017
A day of working at Sallie Mae was mostly demanding due to the irate customers that we come in contact with. Also it took awhile to get to your station
ok place to work
SERVICING CALL CENTER SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 20, 2017
ok place to work. Good pay wonderful benefits. no room for movement. At least not now. Management is still getting its self together, once completed I believe it will be a wonderful place to work.
fairly good
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 19, 2017
This company which was also known as Arrow Financial Services was purchased by Sallie Mae. Sallie Mae changed many of the policies and brought in new management. Within 2 years they closed the Gaithersburg, Office.
Pros
flexible hours
Can make good money
Collector (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMay 23, 2017
Bonuses can be good if you get them, hourly compensation was not good, hard to live off of without bonus, cannot miss a day of work without it possibly affecting bonus, since I worked in collections, supervisors did not like you getting up to get something to drink or use the restroom but expected you to be on the phone all day long.
Pros
long lunches, unlimited overtime
Sallie Mae
Lender Relations Senior Technical Analyst 11 (Former Employee) –  Lynn Haven, FLMay 22, 2017
fast paced and hard working.. professional contacts with lenders, schools, and consumers. Job security within my department of Lender Relations, learned every aspect of the Sallie Mae student loan process as well speaking with the lenders on contracts.
Pros
Stock options alot, job security, strong department
Cons
short breaks, lunch, attendance, later on layoffs
Nice place to work
Bilingual Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXMay 18, 2017
I liked very much to had work there because it was about helping people with there student loans. Many of the customers were parents or grandparents trying to help their children.
Pros
Good pay at the moment
Cons
Changes in shift
enjoyable
Loan Specialist (Former Employee) –  Marianna, FLMay 17, 2017
The job was enjoyable and fulfilling. I learned many details of obtaining student loans and how the applications are processed. I felt rewarded by positive comments from customers who I assisted.
Pros
comfortable work environment
Cons
frequent techinical problems with computer programs
Hard way to make money
Account Representative / Collection Agent (Former Employee) –  Whitewater, WIMay 8, 2017
It was it decent company, and it went from fair to poor. They constantly set goals that people could consistently obtain. Goals kept going up, while pay went down. This created a very negative environment after awhile.
Temp
Student Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXMay 2, 2017
This was a temp position. Its constantly busy, there was no pay increase or change in position status. Benefits are not provided to temps. Busy, loud environment
I would not recommend working here
Private Credit Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEApril 26, 2017
Pros:
Decent starting hourly rate
Incentive
Work environment

Cons:
The company will hire almost anyone
Management isn't knowledgeable
Benefits
Management isn't flexible
Unfulfilled promises by senior management
Little opportunity for advancement
Technology
Interesting Temp Job
ORIGINATIONS/ STUDENT LOANS PA (TEMP) (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAApril 24, 2017
I learned a lot about the student loan business while I was a temp with Sallie Mae. Great learning environment and mentors. All the employees were very nice and always helpful.
Pros
Gym in the building.
Cons
None.
Good job to make money and win lost of prizes
Collector (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 20, 2017
Sallie Mae was an good place to make money but an very stressful environment. The mangers where great and very competitive. The hours can sometimes hinder your personal life and the days.
Poor
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Marianna, FLApril 4, 2017
Honestly this job seemed to be a joke. It;s like we went through all this training to be set up for failure. For such a small town that they brought this big company in and then bam the doors shut down.
good desk job for the area
Debt Collector (Former Employee) –  Big Flats, NYApril 4, 2017
simple straight forward collections job not for everyone but if you are halfway smart you can make a decent job out of it.. good people working there and in management as well
Decent Work Enviorment
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMarch 28, 2017
Decent money very respective place to work for. The managers would help you along as needed. Full time job with pretty decent benefits as you worked your way up in the company.
Sallie Mae is a great company!
Telephone Sales/ Student loan advisors (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXMarch 21, 2017
Sallie Mae was the greatest company I ever worked for. We were treated as people and the management here is amazing. We were given all kinds of incentives which made us to every part of our job to the absolute best ability that we had.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sallie Mae. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval