Sally Beauty Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,106 reviews matching the search
No support from upper management
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 30, 2016
I enjoy working for Sally Beauty. The work is interesting and it could be fun if you don't fall behind and know how to manage your staff according to store needs and be ahead of the game.

Necessary tools needs to be provided in order to see good results. Listen to your people as they are the key to the store's success. Stop the gossiping, it ruins the company's reputation, specially coming from upper management..
Pros
Matching 401K, vision and life insurance, monthly free samples.
Cons
Limited payroll hours, Regular work hours often turning in to dobles, Often asked to work on days off, Low pay as well as no support from upper management when needed
Fast Paced, easygoing, room for advancement
Manager (Current Employee) –  Corona, CAApril 29, 2016
Fast paced work enviroment, easy if you have a good team. Company offers training,benefits, vacation, and sick pay. Customer service is their number one priority.
Pros
flexible schedules, vacation and sick pay, room for advancement
Cons
late hours
Fun work place, Good experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXApril 29, 2016
A typical day at work, walked in everyone will be in a good mood. It was rare when someone had a negative attitude, I got along with all the girls really quick. I don't think there was anything hard about the job, it was pretty easy, as long as you listen and followed the rules. Most enjoyable part of the job would most likely be when a customer thanks you for helping them makes me feel good about doing my job.
Pros
Schedule was very flexible
Cons
working with all girls at times will be a bit harsh.
fast paced environment with long hours. having a great team makes this store a success.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NYApril 28, 2016
forming a great team is important to keep the long hours of the day moving and to accomplish in store tasks. there is always something to get done or be updated. i have a great team always willing to learn and do more. the hardest part in management is managing my own life outside of managing the store. i enjoy helping people with their needs and working with my staff to make there job enjoyable.
Pros
incentive trips, bonuses, free product sampling every month
Cons
lack of communication, long hours, not enough positive feedback
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 28, 2016
The management was pretty nice. A typical day was stocking sales floor, customer service, and price change. I learned a little bit of Spanish due to my co- workers being Hispanic. My co- workers were fun and a joy to work with. I made some friendships. The most enjoyable part was helping people.
Pros
products to try
Cons
nothing really
great place to work
cashier (Former Employee) –  TexasApril 26, 2016
The manager was the person that encouraged me to go to Kilgore College for my license in Cosmetology. I was give instructions on setting up store displays, marketing, sales, refunds, and customer service.
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mabank, TXApril 23, 2016
Out of all my jobs this was my favorite, I worked with interesting people from all backgrounds, and the work was very fulfilling.
Pros
free product once a month
Cons
no cons
Poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tifton, GAApril 22, 2016
Manager was lazy and took credit for everything employees did. Very hateful toward her employees. Employees do all the work while the manager gets the free trips. Manager forged signatures and initialed documents for employees without knowledge at the time.
Pros
product discount
Cons
paid for employee incentives, short breaks, heavy lifting, rude manager
High turn over rate, can not keep people
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 22, 2016
way to much turn over! Can not compete with pay around the area. HR is very inconsistent. Has changed hands in upper management all the way to corporate.
Pros
discount, offer alot of luncheons and free food all the time.
Cons
Does not pay enough to hourly associates, switching upper management alot
Customers Here are Terrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLApril 19, 2016
The customers were the worst part about the job. Rude people who didn't care about the advice you would give them or the help you were trying to provide.

I've had two managers during the year and a half there, both didn't want to do their jobs and put their work on the lower employees.
Pros
Free products each month
Compensation was amazing! Management, not so much.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Richland, MSApril 18, 2016
This is an amazing company, but the members of the higher management staff are incompetent and rude. I was yelled at, talked down to, and treated like dirt. I was thrown into a severely unorganized and understaffed store with three days of management training. Instead of being treated with respect, the managers are talked down to and treated like children. I loved my job and my employees, but the people who were higher up in the company need to learn how to talk to people.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Upper management, long hours, inability to ask questions without retaliation.
fun place to work and cool products
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXApril 15, 2016
great since of team work
customers appreciate your help.
always room to move up.
great benefits
the most enjoyable part of working here is the cool products
The cons of my old job
Customer Service Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 13, 2016
I love helping customers and giving them advises and give them the heads up of the new trends their is. The only think i dislike from this job is the location the store was located it is the worst. The cameras from the store don't work. The securities they had on the building are older man securities and they weren't always their. I learned to have a lot patience with some customers who had a bad day and would like to take it over me and my co -workers.
Pros
Get free products to try the new products
Cons
Short lunch breaks, and didn't pay over time.
Management perks
Store leader (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 12, 2016
I started sally as a part-time employee 15 years ago and worked my way up to store leader (manager). As a manager, the store is your life. As long as you hire the right staff it goes smoothly. The company itself is very positive. Instead of hearing why aren't you doing xyz upper management says how can I help you do xyz. Management gets perks for doing your job. (Bonuses, trips and prizes)
Pros
All paid expenses trips, free products, scratch off tickets, 401k, paid vacations, sick time, education
Cons
Starting pay minimum wage
Gained a large amount of experience.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WAApril 12, 2016
- Poor management.
-"Do for yourself." type of environment.
- Competitive work environment.
- Associates coming in and leaving within a couple of months.
- Heavy work loads expected to be accomplished within scheduled work day.
- Severe gossiping problems between both management and associates.
- Most enjoyable part of work was making customers happy.
Pros
Environment persuaded me to learn to do for myself
Cons
Constant stress and conflict day in and day out
Customer service
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAApril 12, 2016
Everyone worked as a team, helping customers is the main job, making their purchases easy, and making sure that they get home with the correct supplies. Maintaining a clean environment and a friendly place to shop.
This atmosphere was energatic
Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 12, 2016
I really enjoyed seeing and meeting new employees and customers daily. I'm very grateful for the opportunity to start my career in management at Burger King, but Sally's is the foundation to my love and passion in sales. I really bloomed in sales and management with this career change and still enjoy dealing with customers and clients.
if you want a heart attack work for sally
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 8, 2016
Worked for two years and decided to leave. I started in one store and at first I was fine. after the manager treated us like garbage, it would tell us crude, often heard her speak ill of us in talks by phone with other managers. he mocked the district manager, she really was not professional. There was a time when I crash a finger in the store and she told me not know what to do on that occasion and spent ten years working for sally. we played to us to deal with their states of bipolar mood. he also did a report on the Department of Labor because she did not want me to deliver my last book, and even erase me hours, often at all. really that manager is a disrespectful and disrespect. I made him a report on corporate and did nothing, which led me to lose respect for the company. I transferred to another and at first everything right, very different manager, very nice and worked in a totally different environment, until they forced me to follow clients through the store, watch your bags, close the door when a client had something in your wallet and to force her to pay. on many occasions I had to call the police. that is not right, because that is against the policy of sally beauty. force you to make your goals, alter special coupons and mislead the client.

them everything they care about is making your goals to go to Texas to its convention regardless of their employees. They do not care if you get sick or have a situation. you have to go to work because otherwise you down the hours in the next schedule. make fun of your accent, insensitive, and you make them more reports,
  more... the company seems to like having people without heart managers and unethical ... so are ... for the rest of my days I dedicare to discredit sally company and tell my friends and family not to buy more there.  less
Cons
entire company don't care about the employee
Productive Workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Morehead, KYApril 8, 2016
High energy work environment helping customers with health and personal issues. I love helping others make themselves feel beauty and confident.
Safe Workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHApril 7, 2016
Sallys is a Fun safe workplace. Our boss bends over backwards for each employee. Each coworker has their own way of certain things, but its all a big learning experience. The dos and don'ts of hair color and makeup. I will say the hardest part of being a Sallys employee is remembering that the customer is Always Right.
Pros
Free hair products
Cons
Short breaks