Salt Lake Community College Employee Reviews

I worked at SLCC for 6 years. I loved working there and the people are wonderful! I loved that there was a free weight room in the same building.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTFebruary 3, 2016
I was always very busy. I had a lot of variety which I love! It was stressful at times but I don't mind stress as long as I know it's making a difference. I was always pushed to the limit every second of every day I worked. I enjoyed being busy but I felt I couldn't ever be fully organized because of the workload.

I enjoyed learning a lot of new things! I know they will benefit me for future jobs.

I did not agree with the management style of my supervisor. I found it difficulty to know her expectations. She did not seem appreciative of the hard work I did or my accomplishments. She didn't want to meet with me to go over tasks.

I loved all of my co-workers. We all got along and they were the best part of my day.

The hardest part of the job was working with my supervisor. Also, even though I was able to keep up, the overwhelming amount of tasks were hard.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people. I also enjoyed the work itself. The tasks I did were enjoyable. I loved that I could work out in the weight room during lunch breaks or after work and that it was so conveniently located.
Pros
Great Benefits, Free Weight room in the same building I was in
Cons
Supervisor's management style
Adjunct Faculty Opportunities
ADJUNCT FACULTY (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 9, 2016
The department that dictates my schedule has been good, over the years, of making sure that my schedule is full, that I am able to teach on the campus that I prefer, and that everything else that pertains to the duties of an adjunct faculty member is arranged in such a fashion as to be as accommodating as possible. I could dig deep and pull up a complaint, but it would seem like ingratitude and calling upon and complaining about the simple vicissitudes of any place of employ in order to do so. The pay is, of course, lousy, but that's a matter beyond the control of the college, and is rather the story of American education, and besides, who does it for the pay anyway?
Pros
Reasonable class sizes, high-tech classrooms (some campuses)
Cons
Some uncertainty, at times, about scheduling and "priority"
Was provided with the equipment needed to do the job, however was unable to get the assistance needed in personnel to do the job.
Director of Nursing Arts Lab (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 14, 2016
Job was challenging, creative, exciting and it was wonderful to work with the faculty and students. I was able to develop programs and exciting new teaching methodologies that improved training for the students. I was able to mentor the faculty as much as I was allowed and provide a positive atmosphere for training, teaching and learning.
Unable to balance work life and personal life.

Worked for 5 years to try to create that balance. Very stressful at times and started burning out. I was working at least 60 hours per week.

Management was unable to assist with the challenges and communication was very limited. Decisions were not communicated clearly. Felt like I was working in a vacuum with little or no directorial powers to manage the needs of the job. I really wanted to be treated professionally. I feel that we did not work as a team that would make us stronger. The leader made decisions and imposed them without explanation or notification.

I needed professional personnel to assist me to manage the lab and teach students in the lab during free hours and assist in maintaining the lab and staff, computer tech to assist in maintaining the simulators, and clear expectations from management. I wanted more input into what decisions that were made about my position and the job and inclusion in developing the overall plan for the future direction of the program.

I learned that I must keep a healthier balance between work and my personal life in order to maintain my health.
Pros
Working with the students
Cons
Unable to create a balance between work and personal life
Feast or Famine
Testing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 23, 2016
A typical day at work depended on what time of year it was. We would be very busy in the weeks leading up to the beginning or end of a semester, as well as during midterms. I enjoyed this job, although I had much greater skills than it required. Due to poor management the work environment became very toxic.
Pros
Flexible hours, paid sick and holiday leave, great health insurance
Cons
Poor management, stressful work environment
Very relaxing, great for college students!
Testing Aide 3 (Former Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTSeptember 17, 2016
Working in the testing center was awesome, I got experience in Microsoft Excel and also in clerical work. When there was down time we were allowed to read, study, or be on the internet!
Pros
Lots of free time
Cons
Only part time with no merit increases
Learning atmosphere.
Math Instructor (Former Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTJuly 12, 2016
Student where willing to learn. Classes were kept small, about 20 students in a classroom. Staff in the office of the math department were great to work with and very helpful.
Pros
Enjoyable students to work with.
Cons
Dean of math department not very supportive of adjunct teachers.
Teaching Economics classes
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 19, 2016
Taught microeconomics and economics as a social science.
Read the class material and spent 5 hours prep to teach a one hour lecture. Designed homework assignments and tests. The hardest part of the job relearning my field well enough to teach this and orchestrating this effectively. The most enjoyable was finding students who had a gift for analysis the way I had at their age.
Pros
Going back to a field that I had exheld in
Cons
I didn't enjoy teaching all that much
Easy and Convenient
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTAugust 22, 2016
Work right before/after classes, conveniently on same campus, turns out great if you are going to school and still live at home
Pros
free gym access & locker
Cons
min wage
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTNovember 4, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Adjunct Faculty
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTAugust 15, 2016
Teaching here has been exceptional. The students here are phenomenal. I have flexibility to teach classes at different campuses as well.
People are great.
Financial Aid Advisor I and II (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 25, 2015
Amazing benefits. The staff review process needs work. Variety of campuses. Nice work-spaces. Never a dull moment. Very diverse, some fun activities. Staff in most cases works very well with each other. The students are great. Have some nice training options.
Pros
The benefits!
Cons
management needs work. Can be very clique-oriented.
Marketing Management Program
Student of Marketing Management AAS (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 17, 2016
Very in depth program that provided real world experience working with real business clients in developing marketing plans.
Great place to work to get experience
Non-Destructive Testing Lab Aide (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 12, 2016
Not too interested in making a review. Will write a review at a later time. Hope you all are having a great and wonderful day.
Pros
Learning hands on epxerience for the trade
Cons
Absolutely no benefit package
Good place to work, but not a place for advancement
Specialist I Testing Services (Current Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTJanuary 8, 2016
A good environment, but few places to continue onto your career. A good job for college students, employers are willing to work around school schedules (and/or second work schedules.)
Slcc
Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 3, 2016
It is a great place to work. SLCC has a good benefits and they take care of their employees.
Have learned a lot about Student Financial Aid.
Pros
Flix time.
Cons
So much work to do
Fun place
Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 2, 2016
Easy going, flexible hours. Fun work environment. Best boss I have ever had. People are always fun to be around. Just wish I could have better chance at moving to a better position within the school.
Pros
Easy to schedule hours
Cons
low pay not much room to move
well paced work day with ample opportunity for setting personal goals
Custodian II (Current Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTApril 23, 2015
Working as a custodian with SLCC has taught me there is no excuse for being bored at work, there is always something more that can be done. SLCC puts an emphasis on giving their employees the tools and opportunities needed to improve continuously. I feel able to achieve meaningful and satisfying goals beyond simply getting the job done. Management is available and willing to hear my ideas and my frustrations.
Pros
employees kept in the loop, encourages personal progress, excellent benefits
Cons
night shift makes family time difficult to plan
Fun and fulfilling job with plenty of opportunity for continued growth.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 27, 2015
The Dean and fellow co-workers are very supportive and available. The college offers ongoing training opportunities, and in most cases adjunct faculty are paid for attending. But for me it is more about the joy I find in teaching and preparing students for a career in social work.
Don't rock the boat should be thier motto
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 5, 2014
Old-fashioned HR (protect the institution at all costs, provide only token protection to employees). Management isn't willing to pay for the best and in some cases they hire the only applicant willing to take the job for the money - even if marginally qualified. Hiring committees usually select someone they know - or someone management knows.
Pros
employees and thier dependents recieve free tuition. benefits are great.
Cons
politics, low pay, raises rare and modest.
hostile work environment and not understanding or helpful
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 25, 2016
This was a hostile environment the last year there which was on a different Campos than I started on. The supervisors and bosses in the facilities department allow harassment and assault to go on and turn their back to it.
Pros
close to my classes
Cons
harrasment and assault are allowed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Salt Lake Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2