Salt Lake Community College

Salt Lake Community College United States Employee Reviews

well paced work day with ample opportunity for setting personal goals
Custodian II (Current Employee), Taylorsville, UTApril 23, 2015
Pros: employees kept in the loop, encourages personal progress, excellent benefits
Cons: night shift makes family time difficult to plan
Working as a custodian with SLCC has taught me there is no excuse for being bored at work, there is always something more that can be done. SLCC puts an emphasis on giving their employees the tools and opportunities needed to improve continuously. I feel able to achieve meaningful and satisfying goals beyond simply getting the job done. Management is available and willing to hear my ideas and my frustrations.
Excellent organization for higher education
Editor / Content & Special Project Manager (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTApril 12, 2015
SLCC is a rapidly growing company with lots of room for advancement. However, being government ran/owned salaries are very low.
Being an Adjunct Professor is the best job ever!
Adjunct instructor (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 13, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, fun, captive audience for your stand-up routine.
Cons: the first few semesters of teaching a class a brutal, lots of time preparing and staying one step ahead of the students.
Helping students can be challenging but extremely rewarding. The moments when concepts click inside the student's head are great.
Payroll Manager I
Payroll Manager I (Former Employee), Taylorsville, UTMarch 4, 2015
Pros: learn new programs and procedures. working directly with employees, staff, and various department staff.
Cons: close minds and developing changes in their routine without threat.
My typical day at work involved meetings with various college departments. Learning the unique programs utilized by colleges and universities in payroll, data entry, and web design. Worked closely with my staff and employees with their issues and questions. Review any issues with payroll overtime reporting, holidays, and/or paid time off.

I learned how to find problems reporting employee hours, overtime and holiday requirements with IRS, researching IRS and state regulations, learning new programs different from the private sector. Developed relationships with various departments especially Human Resources.

I liked working with my staff. They were pleasant and easy to work with. No competition just an enjoyable group to work with.

The hardest part of my job was finding the time to learn the new programs required. Working with individuals whom had worked in college for their entire career and bringing in new ideas disrupting their every day routine.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working directly with employees, staff, and different department administrative/department heads.
Great Environment for learning
School (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 28, 2015
Such a great school!! I love the smaller sized classes, and the more one on one with teachers. I have had some really awesome teachers, and everyone cares about my success. I don't have one bad thing to say.
not much to do sometimes--if the campus is running well
Specialist II-Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 26, 2015
Provide instructors with Academic support. Participate in the daily operation of Academic Services on the Campus. Work with Academic Coordinator.
To serve as a support service for students/staff/faculty at one or more of SLCC Regional Sites. Responsible for providing accurate and consistent information regarding on-site classes, meetings, concerns, questions, etc.
Participate in the daily operation of the campus. Communicate with faculty, students and general public at the information desk. Provide telephone coverage, including but not limited to disseminating general information
about the College and taking messages as needed for SLCC personnel. Be aware of applicable college policies and procedures.

Essential Responsibilities and Duties
Assist instructors by distributing classroom supplies, facilitating posting of grades, posting class cancellations, making copies, distributing mail, and answering questions. Post all current and new information for instructors.
Know when to direct faculty to their departments.
Post signs for changes in classrooms and classroom assignments. Maintain security on student evaluations. Distribute, collect and work with PLN office with Student Evaluations. Maintain security on departmental tests and
distribute to instructors.
Work with Region-Academic Coordinator to change classrooms when needed. Work with Faculty to gain access to classrooms. Assist in security of facility and equipment, including opening and locking classrooms in multiple buildings and monitoring video surveillance when at the desk and
where applicable.
Communicate with faculty, – more... students, and general public. Provide telephone coverage, including but not limited to disseminating general information about the College and taking messages from and for faculty. Be aware of applicable College policies and procedures. Keep current on new student
information. Assist students with class information, including directing them to MyPage, when applicable. Communicate regularly and frequently with Region-Academic Coordinator.
Train and assist faculty in use of copy machines. Help instructors obtain copy numbers. Maintain list of copy numbers. Assist faculty with necessary supplies.
Other Duties as Assigned. – less
A day in the life of a cashier.
Administration assistant and tutor (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTNovember 13, 2014
Pros: free drinks or food are great incentives to keep people motivated.
Cons: no lunches are difficult but not impossible to handle.
Working daily is about team work and being responsible for your duties. Some duties might include cashier, food prep or paper receipts. I learned how to cashier and be exact about the customers change so they are happy. I don't have any management experience however I believe management should be done by a professional individual who cares about their employees. My coworkers are helpful with customers and help others. The hardest part of the job is finding a manager when a customer is yelling at you but its not hard to let the manager handle the situation. The most enjoyable part of the job is earning money for kids, school, or an apartment.
Great enviornment.
LAC Aide (Current Employee), SLC, UTOctober 21, 2014
Great environment to work, I love my job. I wish the pay could be a little more with some benefits as a PT.
Don't rock the boat should be thier motto
Former employee (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 5, 2014
Pros: employees and thier dependents recieve free tuition. benefits are great.
Cons: politics, low pay, raises rare and modest.
Old-fashioned HR (protect the institution at all costs, provide only token protection to employees). Management isn't willing to pay for the best and in some cases they hire the only applicant willing to take the job for the money - even if marginally qualified. Hiring committees usually select someone they know - or someone management knows.
Great extra money if you like to teach.
Adjunct, part-time evening classes (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 31, 2014
Great opportunity for teaching in the construction fields. Meager pay. No benefits. Dwindling support form school administrative system.
My basic foundations started here. I accepted challenges which latter on converted to strenth.
Computers Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 23, 2014
Since most of the time I was spending attending classes, this was a huge challenge for me to learn and develop time management. Over time and because of time flexibility I was able to enjoy what I was doing.
Co-workers on the other hand were always there to help
Loved being at SLCC
Secretary (Former Employee), Taylorsville, UTJuly 21, 2014
Pros: busy atmosphere
Cons: busy atmosphere
I loved the staff, students, atmosphere. It was great. There was always something to learn, to stay busy with, someone to get to help or assist.
Great job to have during school
Secretary (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 21, 2014
Pros: working on campus, learning more about the school
Cons: pay is not very good, you might want more hours then offered, and you have to take at least 9 credit hours to work here
I would answer the phone and help people that come into the office. I became better at talking and interacting with people in person and over the phone. I learned a lot about how the college is ran. My bosses were great, very relaxed and nice. When I came in the other secretary would leave so I did not really have any co-workers. The hardest part is that it can get really boring, especially during the summer when there are less classes and students I would come in and do nothing all day. The best part about the job is going to class and work is in the same building or location so no commute.
Fun Place to Work
EVENT TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Sandy, UTJuly 1, 2014
I have enjoyed working here its been a great environment. Co-workers are great and we work well as a team. typically during a shift we setup tables, chairs, audio, and visual equipment for various clients. We also give tech support and customer service to clients as needed.
Typical Day at work
Interim Site Supervisor, Testing Services (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 12, 2014
Arrive to work and get all the testing computers ready for testing. Create the daily reports to keep track of who tested. Supervise 4 part-time employee by managing the break schedule, who is going to be responsible for the intake of student testers. Answering students questions as well as answering phones.
Fun place to work with.
Specialist I Student Services, Provide College's (Former Employee), South JordanMay 29, 2014
Cons: pat-time work
Set up my desk, help students to different kind of papers since Admission to school until graduation.
Answer phones, keep track of number of student helped.
Great supervisors and Director,
The hardest part was to deal with only one co-worker with personality issues.
The most enjoyable part is the contagions enthusiasm of the students.
fast paced office with not only medical services but counseling and massage sevices
MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Redwood, South City and Jordan campusesApril 30, 2014
Pros: affordable insurance, 401k and retirement matched, roll over sick and vacation leave
Cons: management without any medical experience/knowledge. high turnover
In charge of front and back office duties. Greeting, appointment making, payment exchanging, phones, deposit, training new employees. Making/changing medical, counseling and massage forms. In charge of patient assistant programs for medications and immunizations. Exploring new ways to use new EMR and relay info in weekly meetings. Use of Banner, adding or removing holds including current required immunizations of international students. Virtual Merchant credit card system and Medicat EMR system. Checking in patients, document vitals, history, medications, allergies etc. phlebotomy, Ordering supplies, stocking/cleaning rooms, CLIA waived labs. In charge of changing patient education info on room cork boards with monthly themes. updating policy and procedures. Management changed hands numerous times as well as coworkers. High turnover made some days difficult yet a learnable experience. Was able to learn more of the clerical side of the office. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning different cultures and incorporating them into different treatment modalities not limited to medical.
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is an incredible higher education institution.
Academic Vice President (Former Employee), Salt Lake City UtahApril 23, 2014
Pros: the faculty and the administration
Cons: parking
The faculty and administration at SLCC truly believe that students are their highest priority. The years I spent at the College were meaningful and rewarding. My life was enhanced by my daily interaction with students in the classroom, faculty in their instructional facilitator roles, and my fellow administrators in meetings that included creative ways to improve teaching and learning at the College.

It was truly a pleasure to have collaboratively work with my colleagues at SLCC- a College on the move, and a College that focuses on the transfer and workforce needs of its students.
Food Services
Busser (Current Employee), Taylorsville, UTApril 1, 2014
I work as a busser where I restock condiments and salad bar. I clean all of the tables and chairs. I really enjoy working with the staff. The hardest part of my job would make sure that all of my work is done by the end of the shift.
A fun place to work
CASHIER (Current Employee), West Jordan, UTMarch 11, 2014
A fun place to work but without benefits or full time,
and I really need a full time job.

1 2 3