Salt Lake Community College Employee Reviews

working for slcc is hard
Standardized Patient (Current Employee), West Jordan, UTAugust 4, 2015
working for slcc was fun for the first few weeks. now its hit summer and i have to pull teeth to get my boss on the phone to get an update on my check.
Not all it is thought to be
Program Manager (Former Employee), Sandy, UTJuly 27, 2015
Pros: it was a job
Cons: everthing else about the place
Very long hours, over worked and truly under paid. The hardest part was dealing with all the comments about other ethnic groups.
Great experience with opportunities for theater directing
Adjunct Theater Faculty (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Working with college age students, free times between classes
Cons: no benefits, little support from school on whole
I really enjoyed working within the college paradigm. I loved working with various ages and ethnicity of students. Additionally, I worked with the department head in developing our department in the immediate community. The hardest part of my job was working within the various job restrictions of students when it comes to play rehearsal. I loved developing new internal programs with various leadership students in the school. I also loved developing new curriculum around the students progress and class demands.
Excellent Electrician Apprenticeship Program
Apprentice Instructor/Temp (Former Employee), 4600 S Redwd Rd, Const Trades Bldg, SLC, UT 84123July 9, 2015
Pros: School 2 nights wk, Program multistate wide licensing
Teaching electrical skills and knowledge about calculations, ratings, and codes. Good to see progress of students and their desire to succeed as electricians. Program very well organized for comprehension and progress well aligned with the skills as they are learning them in their apprenticeship jobs. BEST place to take Electrical Apprenticeship! Multi-state Licensing coverage good in 5 western states.
Educational
Full-time student (Former Employee), Salt lake CityJune 9, 2015
A really great place to earn an Associates degree, a lot of great teachers. The have a an awesome team of tutors and others to help when you need it.
great support staff, just not a lot of direction as to job expectations
Adjunct Faculty Instructor (Former Employee), Taylorsville, UTJune 7, 2015
as a brand new teacher I felt as though I needed a little more direction and guidance than I received. Not great compensation for the time I had to put in to the job (it was teaching though)
Great place to work with great management
Adjunct Instructor in Nutrition (Former Employee), Satallite campuses in Salt Lake City and Draper.June 2, 2015
Pros: Teachilng was a great experience
Cons: Lots of work at home with grading and creating lessons and assignments.
I was an adjunct teacher of nutrition. I loved the work and the students were great. I taught at several of the satellite campus areas. It was very busy, rewarding work. I taught nutrition, as mentioned, which included creating assignments and exams and then grading and recording them, being dependable and effective as an instructor was also very important. I used Excel, Word, and PowerPoint to teach.

I learned how to relate to my students, how to set up Excel spreadsheets, how to compose a PowerPoint slideshow, and how to create assignments and grade them.

I got along well with my co-workers and enjoyed the interaction. The hardest part of the job was the grading and keeping accurate records. I had over 100 students, so it was very time consuming. The work had to be done at home after hours.

The most enjoyable part was teaching and interacting with my students. It was so rewarding to see them finally understand a principle and get excited about it.
B AVERAGE FOR BUSINESS
Career Counselor & Veterans Recruiter (Current Employee), Taylorsville, UTMay 25, 2015
Pros: GOOD HOURS
Cons: TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT
Good hours for being there four years! Terrible management!

Terrible pay for anyone with masters or bachelors degree or wanting to move up in management!!
SI leader
SI leader (Former Employee), 4700 s redwood RdMay 19, 2015
Pros: Awesome Coworkers, fun students, and easy work
Cons: odd hours, not enough hours.
It is challenging and fun to be able to lead small group study, and overall, it was a lot of fun. I was also a math tutor at SLCC and I enjoyed both of them a lot. It was hard at the beginning because it is so new, but after a while it becomes second nature to be at the front of a small group. It is fun to see how you can get people interacting and involved in their learning.
Being on campus is fun
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee), Taylorsville, UTApril 26, 2015
I was basically a hands help for the Disability Resource Center, so I helped a lot of disabled students with test proctoring, getting prepared for tests and such. Although the position was very rewarding and enjoyable, there was no room for advancement or to learn new things.
well paced work day with ample opportunity for setting personal goals
Custodian II (Current Employee), Taylorsville, UTApril 23, 2015
Pros: employees kept in the loop, encourages personal progress, excellent benefits
Cons: night shift makes family time difficult to plan
Working as a custodian with SLCC has taught me there is no excuse for being bored at work, there is always something more that can be done. SLCC puts an emphasis on giving their employees the tools and opportunities needed to improve continuously. I feel able to achieve meaningful and satisfying goals beyond simply getting the job done. Management is available and willing to hear my ideas and my frustrations.
Excellent organization for higher education
Editor / Content & Special Project Manager (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTApril 12, 2015
SLCC is a rapidly growing company with lots of room for advancement. However, being government ran/owned salaries are very low.
Being an Adjunct Professor is the best job ever!
Adjunct instructor (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 13, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, fun, captive audience for your stand-up routine.
Cons: the first few semesters of teaching a class a brutal, lots of time preparing and staying one step ahead of the students.
Helping students can be challenging but extremely rewarding. The moments when concepts click inside the student's head are great.
Payroll Manager I
Payroll Manager I (Former Employee), Taylorsville, UTMarch 4, 2015
Pros: learn new programs and procedures. working directly with employees, staff, and various department staff.
Cons: close minds and developing changes in their routine without threat.
My typical day at work involved meetings with various college departments. Learning the unique programs utilized by colleges and universities in payroll, data entry, and web design. Worked closely with my staff and employees with their issues and questions. Review any issues with payroll overtime reporting, holidays, and/or paid time off.

I learned how to find problems reporting employee hours, overtime and holiday requirements with IRS, researching IRS and state regulations, learning new programs different from the private sector. Developed relationships with various departments especially Human Resources.

I liked working with my staff. They were pleasant and easy to work with. No competition just an enjoyable group to work with.

The hardest part of my job was finding the time to learn the new programs required. Working with individuals whom had worked in college for their entire career and bringing in new ideas disrupting their every day routine.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working directly with employees, staff, and different department administrative/department heads.
Great Environment for learning
School (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 28, 2015
Such a great school!! I love the smaller sized classes, and the more one on one with teachers. I have had some really awesome teachers, and everyone cares about my success. I don't have one bad thing to say.
not much to do sometimes--if the campus is running well
Specialist II-Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 26, 2015
Provide instructors with Academic support. Participate in the daily operation of Academic Services on the Campus. Work with Academic Coordinator.
To serve as a support service for students/staff/faculty at one or more of SLCC Regional Sites. Responsible for providing accurate and consistent information regarding on-site classes, meetings, concerns, questions, etc.
Participate in the daily operation of the campus. Communicate with faculty, students and general public at the information desk. Provide telephone coverage, including but not limited to disseminating general information
about the College and taking messages as needed for SLCC personnel. Be aware of applicable college policies and procedures.

Essential Responsibilities and Duties
Assist instructors by distributing classroom supplies, facilitating posting of grades, posting class cancellations, making copies, distributing mail, and answering questions. Post all current and new information for instructors.
Know when to direct faculty to their departments.
Post signs for changes in classrooms and classroom assignments. Maintain security on student evaluations. Distribute, collect and work with PLN office with Student Evaluations. Maintain security on departmental tests and
distribute to instructors.
Work with Region-Academic Coordinator to change classrooms when needed. Work with Faculty to gain access to classrooms. Assist in security of facility and equipment, including opening and locking classrooms in multiple buildings and monitoring video surveillance when at the desk and
where applicable.
Communicate with faculty, – more... students, and general public. Provide telephone coverage, including but not limited to disseminating general information about the College and taking messages from and for faculty. Be aware of applicable College policies and procedures. Keep current on new student
information. Assist students with class information, including directing them to MyPage, when applicable. Communicate regularly and frequently with Region-Academic Coordinator.
Train and assist faculty in use of copy machines. Help instructors obtain copy numbers. Maintain list of copy numbers. Assist faculty with necessary supplies.
Other Duties as Assigned. – less
A day in the life of a cashier.
Administration assistant and tutor (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTNovember 13, 2014
Pros: free drinks or food are great incentives to keep people motivated.
Cons: no lunches are difficult but not impossible to handle.
Working daily is about team work and being responsible for your duties. Some duties might include cashier, food prep or paper receipts. I learned how to cashier and be exact about the customers change so they are happy. I don't have any management experience however I believe management should be done by a professional individual who cares about their employees. My coworkers are helpful with customers and help others. The hardest part of the job is finding a manager when a customer is yelling at you but its not hard to let the manager handle the situation. The most enjoyable part of the job is earning money for kids, school, or an apartment.
Great enviornment.
LAC Aide (Current Employee), SLC, UTOctober 21, 2014
Great environment to work, I love my job. I wish the pay could be a little more with some benefits as a PT.
Don't rock the boat should be thier motto
Former employee (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 5, 2014
Pros: employees and thier dependents recieve free tuition. benefits are great.
Cons: politics, low pay, raises rare and modest.
Old-fashioned HR (protect the institution at all costs, provide only token protection to employees). Management isn't willing to pay for the best and in some cases they hire the only applicant willing to take the job for the money - even if marginally qualified. Hiring committees usually select someone they know - or someone management knows.
Great extra money if you like to teach.
Adjunct, part-time evening classes (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 31, 2014
Great opportunity for teaching in the construction fields. Meager pay. No benefits. Dwindling support form school administrative system.