Salt Lake County Employee Reviews

Back stabbing, full of clicks, disconnected, old school, oppressive
Communications (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 29, 2017
If you like a slow paced environment, poor career advancement unless you are friends with staff in high places, salary not competitive with private sector, favoritism, zero incentives, employee engagement poor, no or low budgets, filled with policies and redtape, whistle blowers especially if you don't belong to the right party or adapt to their culture
Pros
There are some great organizations but poorly managed
Cons
Old school
Toxic Environment for Case Managers at Criminal Justice Services
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City UTOctober 17, 2017
My typical day is meeting with clients and/or attending court hearings. The administration in place now has no respect for employees, we all walk on eggshells, because they will write you up for the slightest infraction, for example: they will ask for feedback in a meeting, and if you provide it, they write you up. They will not let employees talk to each other in the hall and micromanage everything.

They have their favorite inner circe of friends they want to promote, and they choose who they want to hire before interviews are held. Employees can guess who is getting the next open position, it is always one of their new favorite employees. This is a documented practice. They are systemically targeting employees that have been there 10, 15, 20 or more years. It is deliberate. Salt Lake County has ignored this practice, ignored the 50% staff turnover rate and as a result the morale of CJS is the lowest I have seen in twenty years.

Their second trick is to move people into jobs they want them to have based on 'agency need', this is so they do not have to post a job and so they can put one of their favorite employees into that position.

Current management is targeting people that responded to an employee survey, they have a list of every person that answered the survey (they are not anonymous!) for termination. If you voice an opinion, offer feedback, or voice concerns you will be targeted with harassment.

The management was required to attend a training called Procedural Justice because their practices were so bad and they were unable to follow policy and procedure,
  more... and they came out of that training even more vengeful than before the training. They have zero insight into their own behavior.

The hardest part of the job is there is not enough time to do everything that is required of you. You will work overtime and not be compensated, and the caseloads are high.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the clients.

I do not recommend working as a case manager for Criminal Justice Services.
Pros
Attending court hearings, working with the clients.
Cons
Administration, Management, toxic workspace.
poor management/no clinical orientation
Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Criminal Justice ServicesOctober 8, 2017
There is no clinical director at Criminal Justice Services, so management has no clinical background and makes decisions from a business perspective, not what is therapeutically sound for clients and clinicians. The workplace culture is hostile; if concerns arise the response is to be told to look for other employment. Management is not interested in the opinions or feelings of employees; they consider any expression to be "negative." Decisions are made without consulting the people they impact and new policies are poorly devised and poorly executed. The agency is chronically understaffed and the workload is at times unmanageable. The most enjoyable part of the job is the clientele. Salt Lake County is great to work for, but I would not recommend working for Criminal Justice Services in their Treatment division.
Pros
benefits, working with the clients
Cons
administration, heavy workload, micromanagement
N/a
Fiscal Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 27, 2017
Poor management. Stressful environment, no loyalty to employee for there hard work. Getting a raise is a maybe! It might work for some, benefits increase every year.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
N/a
Excellent work environment
Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 14, 2017
I enjoyed working for Salt Lake County because of the good people I came in contact with on a daily basis. My coworkers were very friendly and helpful. The Director and supervisors were always willing to step in and lend a helping hand when needed. I learned a lot about the criminal justice system through the work I performed and by talking to the clients assigned to one of the various programs provided through our office. I had the privilege of working with police officers who worked in the Protective Services Department. The hardest part of my job was dealing with angry or combative clients who had a very negative opinion of the Criminal Justice system.
Pros
Helpful and friendly coworkers
Cons
People who were not happy with the court system
Fun and Comfortable Enviroment
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTMay 1, 2017
I can honestly say I love my job. It nice to be able to interact with the kids at the Jr High and be able to learn new things from them every day. I get to play a various of different sports and stay active.
Easy work, long days
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Magna, UTApril 29, 2017
Lifeguarding is easy. There is not a lot to it The pay is decent for the work. Certifications are required to be completed before pool opens for the summer, but the pool usually will host certification classes. Management was great, and then they got a new lady that not many people like.
Pros
Great way to get tan, easiest job you'll ever have, free swimming
Cons
hot, sunburns
Their job website lacks structure and coherence. Applications are not reviewed in a timely manner. Rejecting applicants very casually done.
AmeriCorps Member, The Road Home (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 29, 2017
A typical day at work beings by reviewing my schedule, prioritizing my tasks for the day, address challenges proactively and with an approach of problem solving.

I learned that even work and personality conflicts are still area of opportunities where we can learn to overcome our differences, and appreciate the diversity of opinions.

Management is not about bossing people, it is more of motivating your team to reach their maximum level of achievement. Leading is like teaching, it is a shared learning process, while I am delivering a concept, there is a change that I am learning something new as well.

Workplace culture is important. A sense of openness, generosity, and camaraderie is a healthy environment for everyone.

Hardest part of the job is when a problem occurs, and there is no intention to resolve it, or when co-workers do not look at the bigger picture or the outcome.

The most enjoyable part of any job is the professional growth, networking with others, sharing talents, and developing a sense of accomplishment.
Pros
pot lucks, sharing good times, learning experiences
Cons
negativity, lack of appreciation
Great people to work for and with
Party Chief (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 31, 2017
I highly recommend working for the County. It was one of the best working environments I have ever been a part of. I learned alot from the county surveyor and the other party cheifs
I find it an enjoyable working environment! What we do and why we do it is what makes the difference.
Assistant Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 7, 2017
Salt Lake County provides recreational experiences for all members in the community. It's a great organization if you want an opportunity to have an immediate impact on your community. There is an opportunity to grow if this is the career path for you.
Hard worker/ on time
Gravel Pit/ Miner, Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  UtahNovember 17, 2016
I have been on time each and every day. I am a hard worker. I work well with others. I enjoy learning more. I really want this job.
Pros
.Hard worker/ on time/ work well with others
Sometimes good job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  UT - UtahOctober 26, 2016
Work for them for 12 years most of the people where great to work with upper bosses are a joke part time only makes 8.66 an hour if start out part time really hard to get on full time.
Pros
Free memberships.
Cons
A lot of work for little pay.
Fun work
Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 15, 2016
Fun place to work and expand your customer service and cashiering experience. Managers are very nice, and if you demonstrate your ability, give you the opportunity to grow.
Very progressive and runs a neat and tidy ship
HRIS Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 8, 2016
Up side ...
Progressive management (in HR at least); truly forward thinking and innovative.

Down side ...
Public sector work that is half way out of the terrible issues that come with public sector employment, such as:
- hard to get rid of poor performing employees; tend to shuffle them to other departments.
- the longer you work there the harder it is to uproot you if you are a poor performing employee.
Pros
Comp time (a bit like flexi time): use instead of sick or vacation accruals.
Cons
Some bad apples that won't just leave, retire, or die.
Encouraged work/life balance.
GOVERNMENT LIAISON & SALESFORCE ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake County, UTJuly 7, 2016
Salt Lake County is a great place to work. Several different departments to choose from. There is so much that SLCo does for our community that you don't even realize until you work there. A balanced work/life scheduled is highly encouraged and it's a great place for working parents.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Slow job advancement
Salt Lake County
Animal Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 24, 2016
I truly enjoy what I do at work and I'm confident in the services we offer to the public and am proud to do what I do. It can be a very challenging job, but on the same token very rewarding! its not all puppies and cuddling, it can be very strenuous.
Pros
almost everything
Cons
short breaks
fun place, sometime scary place to work
Court Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 17, 2016
Typical day, translate or interpreter for non English speaker verbatim or simultaneously. I learned court terminologies. Management are good I like them. My co works are nice. The hardest part about the job is that I dealt with criminals and killers, rapers , etc.. it scares me sometimes, but they were in handcuffs and foot locks. The part I enjoy the most is that I get to listen and know about their problems and excuses.
Pros
Fun
Cons
not enough hrs
Easy job, hard to get fired, bad management
Aquatics Supervisor, Head Swim Coach, Headguard (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 5, 2016
When it's busy, its a mad house.

Some of our staff is not adequately trained.

Co-workers do not have good work habits.

When it's really slow, the job is easy and fun.
Pros
Lots of breaks, usually
Cons
Poor training, bad communication within management
Enjoyable to work for.
HR Operator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 24, 2016
I maintain 15 county parks on a weekly basis. I operate and maintain park equipment as needed. I enjoy being outdoors. I work with a hard working crew in extreme hot and cold conditions.
it's good work if you can get it
electrician (Former Employee) –  facilitiesDecember 8, 2015
The best part about this job is the time off. Lots of holidays, vacation time, and sick days. The worse part is the long probation period.
You will not make it through probation without the right personality. Hard work and dedication will not help.
The work is just typical service type work, but some of the locations are pretty cool.
Pros
paid time off, insurance is ok, most co-workers are pretty cool, some work sites are fun
Cons
lots of complicated computer aided paperwork, unclear instructions, low pay with no chance of advancement, some work sites are horrible