Salt Lake County Employee Reviews

Hard worker/ on time
Gravel Pit/ Miner, Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  UtahNovember 17, 2016
I have been on time each and every day. I am a hard worker. I work well with others. I enjoy learning more. I really want this job.
Pros
.Hard worker/ on time/ work well with others
Sometimes good job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  UT - UtahOctober 26, 2016
Work for them for 12 years most of the people where great to work with upper bosses are a joke part time only makes 8.66 an hour if start out part time really hard to get on full time.
Pros
Free memberships.
Cons
A lot of work for little pay.
Fun work
Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 15, 2016
Fun place to work and expand your customer service and cashiering experience. Managers are very nice, and if you demonstrate your ability, give you the opportunity to grow.
Very progressive and runs a neat and tidy ship
HRIS Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 8, 2016
Up side ...
Progressive management (in HR at least); truly forward thinking and innovative.

Down side ...
Public sector work that is half way out of the terrible issues that come with public sector employment, such as:
- hard to get rid of poor performing employees; tend to shuffle them to other departments.
- the longer you work there the harder it is to uproot you if you are a poor performing employee.
Pros
Comp time (a bit like flexi time): use instead of sick or vacation accruals.
Cons
Some bad apples that won't just leave, retire, or die.
Encouraged work/life balance.
GOVERNMENT LIAISON & SALESFORCE ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake County, UTJuly 7, 2016
Salt Lake County is a great place to work. Several different departments to choose from. There is so much that SLCo does for our community that you don't even realize until you work there. A balanced work/life scheduled is highly encouraged and it's a great place for working parents.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Slow job advancement
Salt Lake County
Animal Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 24, 2016
I truly enjoy what I do at work and I'm confident in the services we offer to the public and am proud to do what I do. It can be a very challenging job, but on the same token very rewarding! its not all puppies and cuddling, it can be very strenuous.
Pros
almost everything
Cons
short breaks
fun place, sometime scary place to work
Court Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 17, 2016
Typical day, translate or interpreter for non English speaker verbatim or simultaneously. I learned court terminologies. Management are good I like them. My co works are nice. The hardest part about the job is that I dealt with criminals and killers, rapers , etc.. it scares me sometimes, but they were in handcuffs and foot locks. The part I enjoy the most is that I get to listen and know about their problems and excuses.
Pros
Fun
Cons
not enough hrs
Easy job, hard to get fired, bad management
Aquatics Supervisor, Head Swim Coach, Headguard (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 5, 2016
When it's busy, its a mad house.

Some of our staff is not adequately trained.

Co-workers do not have good work habits.

When it's really slow, the job is easy and fun.
Pros
Lots of breaks, usually
Cons
Poor training, bad communication within management
Enjoyable to work for.
HR Operator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 24, 2016
I maintain 15 county parks on a weekly basis. I operate and maintain park equipment as needed. I enjoy being outdoors. I work with a hard working crew in extreme hot and cold conditions.
it's good work if you can get it
electrician (Former Employee) –  facilitiesDecember 8, 2015
The best part about this job is the time off. Lots of holidays, vacation time, and sick days. The worse part is the long probation period.
You will not make it through probation without the right personality. Hard work and dedication will not help.
The work is just typical service type work, but some of the locations are pretty cool.
Pros
paid time off, insurance is ok, most co-workers are pretty cool, some work sites are fun
Cons
lots of complicated computer aided paperwork, unclear instructions, low pay with no chance of advancement, some work sites are horrible
Great inviroment, fun people to work with
Technical Support representitive (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 3, 2015
The people at Salt lake County are great to work with. They are very friendly and professional. They are very understanding about needing time off to take care of family issues. My only issue with the county is that they are big time penny pinchers and as a result it is very difficulty to get full-time employment with them.
Fun workplace, and people to work with
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 17, 2015
It is a fun place to work at and fun co-workers. Most of the job is watching for people that need help and looking for ways to prevent accidents. This means it's a very laid back job. However accidents can happen and you need to be very attentive and not miss anything. Involves first aid and need to be physically fit for swimming.
Pros
Adequate pay, fun work environment
Cons
Not much
I signed children and adults up our sports, ran the cash register, rented rooms, sold merchandise. made calls for my managers and answered phone calls
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTOctober 1, 2015
on a daily basis i would either open or close the recreation center. my hardest duty would probably be making sure all the children signed up for activities were in the right age group, and on the right sports team. my favorite part about the job was that i was able to interact with many different people, as well as have down time to read a book if we were having a slow day.
Pros
i could bring any food i wanted with me and i was able to read ever now and again.
Cons
sometimes the computers would stop working and everything had to be done by hand.
Relatively low-stress environment, great co-workers and excellent management.
Receptionist/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Magna, UTSeptember 7, 2015
The day would start out either opening store or switching tills with a co-worker depending on the shift. Job tasks included cash handling, customer service, entering membership information and making/answering calls.

I learned customer service, time management and organization skills. As well as telephone etiquette, team building, and training skills.

The best management I have ever experienced at any company. The office manager did her job extremely well, maintained a positive attitude and she was genuine about helping her employees and customers.

The hardest part of the job was maintaining energetic attitude during the slow periods between customers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the positive work culture and good co-workers and management.
Pros
Great working environment, simple job tasks, fairly flexible schedule.
Cons
Not much room for advancement and low pay.
love co workers and enjoy what I do
Recreation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 4, 2015
I love the people I work with great atmosphere you get to meet a lot of people and know them on a personal level it is great to see the kids grow
Pros
people
Cons
only allowed so many hours not really room to move up or get raises
No problem having incentives to stay on the job, feel appreciated.
Custodian/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Magna-Kennecott Senior Center, Magna UT.April 26, 2015
On a typical day I work alone to a certain extent and I like that because I can concentrate on the tasks.
I have learned how to keep the environment safe and friendly for people who come to participate in activities. I get along well with my co workers and can trust them to help me with my goals.
The hardest part of my current position is being expected to do my own evaluations.
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the people (workers and visitors) enjoy the clean and safe building and hearing their positive comments.
Pros
secure job with reasonable benefits
Cons
none that I can think of
Great opportunity and place to make a difference!
Bicycle Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 2, 2015
Great opportunity and place to make a difference!

That's the best part about this position, is that I know what I do makes a difference in the community. That's why I do it.
Pros
make a difference, good enviornment, cooperative environment, team orientated, not super demanding, enjoyable environment
Cons
low pay, part time
Productive, Great learning experience
Cook/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 22, 2015
Cooked for 2200+ people daily, 40+ hours weekly, Learned to cook, bake etc. The hardest part of the job was standing on my feet all day with one 30 minute break.
Pros
40+ hours weekly
Cons
one 30 minute break
Typical County Government - SLCO
Urban Planner (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 6, 2014
Massive management issues and massive spending waste. Salt Lake County is as political as it gets for a workplace. Many toxic work divisions with incompetent management that truly has a clear lack of values and ethics. If you work there you better have a very thick skin.
Pros
If you are a manager you're in the club of untouchable
Cons
People dont care about how hard you work, they are out for themselves. Sad truth.
good temp job
Plumbers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 10, 2014
got some great simple plumbing experience and great people to work with
Pros
good pay
Cons
temp job and when i had top replace toilets but hay some one had to do it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Salt Lake County. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3