Salt River Project Employee Reviews

Control Room Operator (Current Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZOctober 27, 2015
SRP is a great place to work. Challenging environment with outstanding leadership. Employees are placed a work environment that is centered around collaborative common goals and self set individual goals.
Country Club
Department Secretary (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 30, 2015
This job is one of the best job I ever held. It was such a pleasure to work at SRP. All the people were so nice. As long as you got your work done, there were never a problem. We were allowed to use the company's Gym on lunch hour, after work, holidays. An awesome place to work.
Pros
One hour for lunch
Cons
No cons
Great team to work with who took personal interest in developing me as a technical writer and editor.
Word Processor / Technical Writer & Editor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 27, 2015
Daily assignments included word processing, technical writing and editing for proprietary software. Timekeeping, bookkeeping, and I enjoyed being trained as a "zanjero" during times of staff shortage. I would work for SRP again anytime.
Pros
Loved the environment and support of a large IT team
Cons
None!
Great pay but ineffective management and stale work environment
Mechanical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 5, 2015
I worked at SRP for over 13 years. They promote from within and paid for my college degree which was an awesome perk. Overall the pay was great and benefits were good although they continued to drop off every year with the climate of healthcare in the US. For most of my time I enjoyed working there but as I grew as a professional it was clear SRP wanted predictable "safe" employees that will follow the status quo without hesitation. Productivity and work ethic were not valued in my department. Employees are treated like children and questioning authority or outdated ineffective policies were not tolerated. It turned into a punch in and punch out atmosphere that no longer challenged or fostered me to be effective. I believe this was a failure in management from top to bottom and I could no longer motivate myself. I had about a dozen supervisors and managers in my time there, very few had the skills or ability to bring out the best in their employees while being effective leaders. I think this was the largest hurdle I faced and ultimately led me to resigning to look for another challenge.
Pros
Great pay, stability, reasonable benefits
Cons
Ineffective management and leadership, inefficient, wasteful spending
Contract Administrative Position for Superior Staffing
Admin Assist- Marketing/Events Planning (Former Employee) –  Phoenix AJuly 20, 2015
This was a contract job to cover for someone on medical leave. It was a routine support position calling for good basic administrative skills. The supervisor was a negative person who, I later learned, had a reputation for going through admins. I was polite and professional, but otherwise aloof, to get through the assignment. Co-workers were friendly and wrote letters of commendation for me. I applaud the in-house Superior Staffing rep who was great.
Pros
I updated some of my MS Office skills and enjoyed the co-workers
Cons
Job ended right before the holidays, nulling chances to quickly find another assignment.
Great work environment, good safety culture
Substation Electrician (Former Employee) –  Pheonix AZJune 8, 2015
Worked as a temporary Substation Electrician building and installing relay panels. I also worked in Substations (500-60kv) installing and repairing breakers, buss, CTs, and associated control cables.
great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 29, 2014
great place to work. great training program and work environment
. Take inbound calls and provide customer service. work with cutting edge technology in a interesting field. management was great. the schedule was 24 hours so you could work a shift you don't like.
best place to work at
Truck Driver II (Former Employee) –  phoenix,azOctober 27, 2014
meeting new challenges
operate various trucks and equipment
great management
a lot of great coworkers
weather
thanks to union representation
Pros
wages
Cons
weather
In summary my years at the Salt River Project were most enjoyable.
Zanjero (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 25, 2014
I went to work and signed on shift via vehicle radio communication with Association Dispatch Center. Then I went into my division, performing all daily tasks required and necessary. I learned a lot about the transmission and distribution of irrigation from the watershed, river systems, through the canals and lateral systems. Most managers were easy to work with. They knew my job because they once did my job. We were all helpful to one another when needed. Otherwise, all of us were by ourselves in the field doing our job. The hardest part on my career was working 3 rotating shifts. For me, the most enjoyable part of the job was freedom to go out and do my job, being around the water and helping my farmer's crops to grow. I loved my job.
Pros
we had good pay and great benefits.
Cons
grave shift was a killer trying to stay awake and not crash.
ROTTEN from the head down
Communications Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  TempeAugust 30, 2014
This company is ROTTEN from the head down. It is only a great place to work if you are White, Male or Mormon. If you are not, just move along because you will be treated like absolute trash!

A special note to YOUNG, FEMALE, CONTRACTORS and TEMPS in particular, better watch out!! I highly advise you not even waste your time with this disgusting company. The good ole' boys will treat you like a slab of meat and if you dare complain against the treatment, they will get rid of you! My suggestion, unless you have a best friend that is a lawyer, move along and not even consider this toxic company. There are other better companies out there that will treat you with the respect and dignity you deserve.
Cons
treat women like meat
Great company by which to learn about the water and power industry.
ANALYTICAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN II (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 19, 2014
There are many opportunities at SRP to increase your knowledge of the water and power industry. They offer internal classes to understand what is going on with in the company. As for a typical day, it may stay somewhat routine, but an unexpected event or opportunity always comes up. The company promotes employee interest groups allowing you to meet other people in different departments.
Overall it's a positive experience...
Information Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 24, 2014
As an organization it's a wonderful place to work but, like most companies nowadays, they put too much emphasis on academia over experience and competence and it shows in their choices in promotions and management. Most of the people in authority are well placed however they also suffer the typical 'bad apple' syndrome that most companies their size suffer from. Like is attracted to like (id est incompetence is drawn to incompetence) and the cascading affect is disruptive and costly. I have to give senior management kudos because they are taking heroic steps to break down the long-standing silos and cultures that have proven stagnant over the decades.
Pros
environment, safety, benefits, salary.
Cons
bunjee-bosses and people in authority with ideas but no experience.
great working experience
QA Analyst/UAT Tester (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 9, 2014
Team was awesome. Working with the team was great. Management was very helpful with the team.
Inbound contact center, provide schedules, take payments, educate on irrigation
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMay 27, 2014
Inbound contact center.
Used maps to assist customer on irrigation systems.
Coached customer on how to open/close valves.
New employee training - excellent trainers and off-site tours of business.
challenging work in a (usually) supportive workplace.
Power System Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 9, 2014
Good workplace, great people (for the most part),
some challenges with management when time for progression.
Pros
great benefits.
Cons
n/a
typical day in the yard
Utility warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 7, 2014
Reclaimed used material used by the linemen.
Learned a lot on what type of tools and different materials there is and how to operate the right way.
Very nice environment and good place to work at.
Pros
great benefits and good environment
Cons
long days and outside
Great place to work, SRP is always looking out for the employee.
Resource Planning and Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 29, 2014
SRP is an great place to work. I was a temp and not able to receive benefits. Enjoyed the law services dept and assisting the customers with complaints.
Pros
free health fairs and free lunches
Cons
i was not an actually employee.
Learned how limited resources are managed.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 18, 2014
Quite a change from an office in a high rise in downtown Chicago to the vast infrastructure extending from the water storage dams in the mountains of northern Arizona to the water canals distribution system in the Phoenix valley.
Pros
first experience of infrastructure management.
Cons
a lot of travel time when projects are located in the mountains.
Great Place to work
Technical College Intern (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 13, 2014
You choose your own future in the company. Hard work gets rewarded with pay raises and promotions.
Great company with good benefits.
Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 1, 2014
The Salt River Project is a great place to work. I picked up most of my computer knowledge from working there.