Sam's Club Employee Reviews in United States

Found 5,811 reviews matching the search
It's a good job and the co-workers are fun but the management has some problems.
Cell Phone Sales (Current Employee) –  Ontario, OHMarch 24, 2016
The job at Sam's is a good job and it has its benefits. Whether it is stocking merchandise, selling phones, recovering at the end of the day, or helping members I always have something to do. I have learned that teamwork is vital for a company to work efficiently. However, the management could be better. For example they cannot schedule the right amount people for the day. On the other hand, having fun and supportive co-workers helps the day go by and they are the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Co-workers, pay
Cons
Management, no advancement oppertunities
A good place
Sales (Former Employee) –  Vestal, NYMarch 1, 2016
A day at Sam's Club is basically, work, get the job done, and leave. There won't be much different, but if it is, you are probably ok with it because it breaks the monotony of what you were doing. Don't get me wrong, the job isn't bad at all, it just can get boring.

Management, from my experience, is pretty good. They will listen, probably take what you had to say into consideration, and the management at my store even backed me up AGAINST the member a few times. I was shocked!

There is definite room for advancement. Some people at the job have jumped all around to different areas and positions. Tell someone you want to be a "coach" and they will tell you how to go about it... just do the job!
Pros
stable company, pay raises, advancement potential
Cons
hired at part time, floating shifts, work can be boring, can get wrapped up in workplace drama
Productive & somewhat enjoyable workplace.
Cashier, Inventory Auditor, Tobacco Associate (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 15, 2016
Depends on the department and your department supervisor and manager, It can be a great place to work or a nightmare. The hardest part of the job is getting the proper support needed at times from the higher ups. (Management, Supervisors, Team Leads) The most enjoyable part of the job is having co-workers who like to work hard but also have fun in the process, trying to help the environment less stressful.
Pros
Annual Bonus, Annual Raise, Insurance for FT workers
Cons
Do not care much about employees, Too much drama between each other, a lot of selfishness
Sam's Club
Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodridge, ILMarch 31, 2016
Was a nice place to work. Current changes have meant smaller increases and less vacation time to those who have been there a long time. It also has meant more turnover and management not willing to hire people when needed. Going from part time to full time is almost unheard of because they don't want to give any extra benefits to anyone. Each area has its downfalls some more than others. Use to be a well balanced between home and work, thats no longer the case because they don't hire enough people so they can't give you the days off you need for family events. They want you to do everything as quickly as possible then when its not up to par they threaten to write you up. Again that goes back to not having help they needed. Bakery, Cafe, or meat your almost guaranteed to be left alone at some point and be required to do the work of 3 people. Even if you have PTO time (which they just started) they won't approve your time off most of the time.
Fun workplace, productive
Membership Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 17, 2016
Sam's Club was a good place to work at. My typical work day consisted of helping members with their problems, returns, orders, and credit card payments. I learned how to handle large amounts of cash for credit card payments, I learned about returns, I learned better customer service, and I learned how to help members the best way I could in a timely manner. The management was amazing at Sam's Club they were super friendly and always helpful when you needed them or when they thought you needed help. My co-workers were always friendly and always helpful also. The hardest part of working at Sam's Club was trying to help everyone in a timely fashion if they had a bunch of problems. The thing I enjoyed most while working at Sam's Club was how friendly and how helpful everyone that worked there was, if they didn't know the answer they would go find someone who did so that they could help you.
Pros
Raises, morning meetings, helpfulness
Cons
Hours getting cut sometimes
If you join this company, make it temporary
Meat Processor (Current Employee) –  Henrietta, NYMarch 22, 2016
Compensation lags behind other companies and raises are an insulting 2%
Too many negatives to list but..
impossible to follow all corporate policies and get the job done when you often are the only associate in your department and you also have to help cover another department
they move products around like they're on a merry-go-round so members can't find what they're looking for.
not enough cashiers but to make matters worse they pressure credit and plus applications on all the members
and that's just a thimble sitting on the tip of the iceberg that are the problems at this company.
Pros
easy job
Cons
understaffed underpaid
The longer you work for them, the less secure your job
Nights / Days / customer service/ supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MI 48912 (north lansing sams)April 1, 2016
As sad as it sounds, if your a long term associate at Sams Club you'll eventually be replaced. They will start finding any and all reasons to write you up, to replace you with someone they can pay half as much. Many of our 15-20 year associates were fired this year and as a 13 year associate , I can feel the pressure on me now. A 5 time employee of the month, person who NEVER calls in, and someone who busts butt from clock in to clock out, and now has 3 write ups over the last 6 months.

If management doesnt personally like you, your done
Pros
decent pay for what you do
Cons
see above. there are alot more but no time to list
Busy retail environment
Cash Operation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  VAJanuary 24, 2016
A typical work day included interacting with external customers and building rapport to enhance customer service experience. Management allowed associates to learn hands on within the working instead of gauging learning on module training only. The hardest part of the job is convincing customers to upgrade to the plus membership when they rarely shop in the establishment on a constant basis.
Pros
Room for advancement opportunities
Cons
Pressuring customers to obtain plus membership without added benefits
Great place to start out.
Membership Acquisitions Specialist Sam's Club (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 28, 2016
Sam's is a great place to get retail experience other than that, definitely not a career choice or for advancement. Typical work day is hectic with little to no help on the sales floor. Some mangers will go above and beyond to help you in your day to day operations but most will stick to their manager duties. Co-workers are nice some not so much. Hardest part of my job as a Front-end Supervisor is managing my cashiers and making sure the member is happy. Most enjoyable part of my job is working with people who are like-minded and seeing a smile on a members face as they walk out the door.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Not a great place to learn leadership or management skills
Amazing personality and work ethics. Enjoy meeting new peopl, and caring for others . Very punctual and organized.
Cashier/Member Host (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL 32504April 4, 2016
clock in.. count money till. log into register; greet members with warm smile and question. Assist co-worker with lifting and counting individual merchandise. . I enjoy meeting new people, and learning about other companies and business/career opportunities. I enjoy helping others as much as possible. Clock out of my shift then return to my daily life outside of work.
Pros
Staff lunches
Cons
no benifits, not enough hours offered
Overall decent company to work for
Member Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 5, 2016
For some, Sam's Club is a great place to develop a career through and support your home with. But as for myself, it was a way to support and fund my living while I was in school. I loved the people I met through the company and will have long standing friendships because of this. I do not however, agree with the management I observed during my employment with the company. There seemed to a sort of hierarchy system incorporated here whereas if you didn't have enough seniority, you were given scraps comparably to what those with more experience received (ie favoritism in scheduling, accountability). I enjoyed the work I did with Sam's Club overall because of the skills and experience I developed here. The hardest part of working for this company were the disagreeable things we were forced to do in order to "better serve our members." I never had an issue with compliance to the company policies enforced here; just the simple fact that in order to satisfy the customer, rules were bent and sometimes broken and I never agreed with this.
Pros
Co-Workers, Work Environment, Paid Membership through Employment
Cons
Benefits, Poor Scheduling, Understaffing
Overworked for Part Time
Café Associate/Cashier/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 13, 2016
As a part time employee with open availability in the cafe area I had quite a few tasks. Unfortunately, as with any other restaurant/retail job I had a rotating schedule, so my shifts would start anywhere from 5 am and last from about 12 am, and they work part time employees up to 40 hours (sometimes more). I feel that if they had provided set schedules it would have kept the cafe adequately staffed the job would have been great. Unfortunately, I was only expecting 20 hours a week and was quite surprised to find out that I was expected to work 40 hours. I was not a fan of being expected to work full time without the benefits (healthcare, sick leave, etc.).
Another issue I had was that customers were very abusive of employees and were not asked to leave or have to apologize, etc. I had customers throw things or become verbally abusive at me for things I had no control over (early closings for holidays, etc.). I feel it would have been better if management had put employee safety first because after several instances it became very frightening to go to work.
Good Retail Environment, But Sales Demanded
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAMarch 2, 2016
Being a cashier is often self explanatory. But in a bulk sales store, it often involves frequently lifting and moving heavy objects which most cashiers wouldn't have to deal with.

The only other problem I had at Sam's was the highly competitive demands they put on their cashiers to make sells of items like extra memberships, credit cards, and warranties. Management was never appeased with a few sells but instead had daily quotas they expected employees to make, even when manning the self-checkout.
Pros
Efficient, clean environment, good pay
Cons
Highly competitive and hidden sales culture
great place to build a career
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARFebruary 18, 2016
Culture is live and well. Real Positive place to build a career from the bottom up with plenty of advancement opportunities. The people make it great and memorable. Management is focused on moving the business forward while putting people in the right positions to ensure success
Pros
Advancement possibilites
Productive and Fun Work Place
Cake Decorator/Baker (Current Employee) –  North Canton, OHMarch 28, 2016
I really love working at Sam's Club. You build friendships and relationships with those you work with as well as customers/members, which makes it a very fun environment to work in. I have learned and been taught so much while working there. How to provide great customer service, and different skills- like decorating cakes, computer skills, cashiering, selling, etc.
Pros
Fun, 30 minute lunch, nice management, work as a team, benefits
Cons
I sometimes don't get the hours I want
It was faced paced so I liked that a lot and being a cashier I loved getting to meet all the people.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYJanuary 21, 2016
Sams was usually my second shift for the day having two jobs so, as soon as I got there I would start cashiering till close then I would do the cleaning duties and once I was done with my tasks I would help with whatever was left to do. I learned that there is way more than there is to meet the eye about just checking people out and just doing what is asked of you. The management was good they were always helping when anyone had question. I loved my coworkers to death so, the hardest part was when I moved and had to tell everyone goodbye. I am a very happy person and am always smiling so the most enjoy able part was getting to talk with the everyone I got to help and maybe get them to smile or make their day better even if it was just in a small way.
Pros
Face paced, clean and nice coworkers.
Cons
Benefits, scheduling and weekly reports.
sams club is a fun and productive workplace, where the coaches work with you by any means neccesary
Cafe Associate (Former Employee) –  Catonsville, MDJanuary 27, 2016
A typical workday at Sam's Club was very busy. Everyday i learned how to execute patience, how to deal with many personalties and still be polite and work at an up tempo pace. Management was always available when they were needed, my co-workers made sure we worked together as a team. the hardest part of the job would probably have to be unloading the truck and stocking the freezer. the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work and assist the public everyday.
benefits
Cons
short staff
fun environment with little room for advancement
Seasonal cashier (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WANovember 3, 2015
Not much room for advancement in the position I was in, but I made lasting friendships and it was a great experience. Typically each day was fast pace, management was somewhat disorganized and wouldn't let us go to break on time, ect. It became too much for me as I was pregnant and sometimes had to lift 60 plus pounds and became ill. I then began soon after attending college full time.
Hardest part of the job was the disorganized management. The most enjoyable was the costumer service aspect of the job and really getting to know many costumers and co workers. I really grew with my costumer service skills and learned to help costumers with various situations.
Pros
Growing in costumer service skills
Cons
For this position I received no benefits and minimum pay
The job is stable
Cafe Associate / Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 24, 2016
Yes the Job is stable but you never know how many hours you are going to get as a result of over hiring to avoid benefits. I would like to move up in the company for the job security benefits but in reality they are just looking for people to work what they don't want to! And instead of giving people raises on based on job performance it only 2% per year
Pros
Stable job
Cons
Someone is always talking about someone else.
Great opportunities for advancement
Planner - Computers, Cameras and Software (Current Employee) –  Bentonville, ARFebruary 13, 2016
The culture is good and pay is competitive, but the work-life balance is lacking. Flexibility is supposed to be an importantpart of the culture but is not valued among management.
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
Long hours for salaried associates

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sam's Club. Our community is ready to answer.