Sam's Club Employee Reviews

Found 6,190 reviews matching the search
Financially rewarding job
Club Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 20, 2016
The compensation with salary plus bonus can exceed $280K annually. Performance expectations are extremely high. The company has reports to measure all operational metric that released daily, weekly, monthly. The stress level of the position can be overwhelming to many based on the leaders you work for. Some deflect pressure better that others. It is as company where you can start from the bottom and work your way to a management position withing a few years. There is constant leadership changes at all levels of the organization so there is always room for advancement. Sam's club will keep you on your toes at all times. They expect their associates to be extremely efficient because the manage wages tightly.
Pros
Compensation, Advancement, fast paced
just depends
Check Out Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CAAugust 24, 2016
Not all management cares about individuals just the business its self, if you are not a brown noser you get no where. started out fun and had a good time but slowly went down hill, MR. Walton would not be proud. Too many changes in vacation time , evaluation pay raises, doesn't except DR notes if you are sick, Not what it used to be. When extremely busy and need help most mangers will just yell at you to get lines down and not help, a select few will help you no matter what and they will have your back. Hardest part of job is that members yell cuss and belittle you and management does not stick up for you.
Pros
Store closes early, can make some good friends, no strict dress code
Cons
store is always hot, no empathy or caring managers they will let members treat you poorly and not have your back, if you are sick and have DR note they dont care
The Member Comes First
Electronics Associate (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99515November 14, 2016
A typical day comprises of mostly assisting members in selecting purchases and informing them of current promotions. A typical day also consists of stocking merchandise and organizing merchandise in an aesthetically pleasing manner for the members benefit. On occasion, a pallet of merchandise in the steel needs to be taken down for a members purchasing needs, therefore a safety spot is required to ensure all involved and member's safety during operation. Other duties include: Answering members phone calls, inspecting and accepting returned electronic merchandise as well as placing expensive merchandise into lockup cages for security purposes. The most enjoyable part of the job is the appreciate members show when I help them find what they need or their expressions of understanding when I explain something new to them. I love to teach others about electronic products. My co workers were nice and mostly supportive in the day to day operations.
Pros
Free membership, good pay
Cons
Lazy management, lack of benefits
It is basically a chinese sweatshop
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 4, 2016
They require you to do 3 people's jobs on 1/2 a person's salary. They do not train you at all, and they get angry when you don't know how to do something 2 minutes into your first day. While working here you can look forward to the managers sitting around in the office all day wondering why you aren't doing 12 peoples jobs by yourself instead of the 3 or 4 you are currently doing. HR will tell you that you have too many people on your crew as it is, and there is no chance of hiring someone else to help you, even if you are a 2 man crew. The management is a passive aggressive beast that you try to stay away from as often as possible. Co-workers are usually angry due to having so much on their plate and the company never being satisfied with their work or showing them any appreciation whatsoever. The most enjoyable part of working there was walking towards the door at the end of the day.
They have a nice break room with rarely provided food.
Membership Sales Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Lonetree, COSeptember 17, 2016
The people there were nice but management had no motive or couldnt initiate any appreciation for their employees, they neglected their duties as managers and would be too afraid to come out of their office to help our members. the most enjoyable part of the job was helping people, seeing their smiling faces and being with your friends doing so. I learned that to get anywhere in a work place you have to be stern yet sincere, and helping others to the best of your ability doesn't guarantee you a pat on the back.
Pros
Sometimes free lunches, friendly coworkers, and nice customers.
Cons
Benefits, Growing with the company doesnt really happen, understaffed.
With the right managers Sam's Club can be a great place.
Licensed Optician (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLAugust 23, 2016
Overall Sams was great but when you start making a healthy wage at the Naples FL store the store manager and optical manager will find a way get rid of you. False allegations regarding Hipaa violations or unauthorized customer discounts. Very disappointing. There are other Sam's Clubs that are great, with great mangers who want you to succeed. Unfortunately I was not in a club like that. If you want to work at a Sam's Club watch your back. A lot of back stabbing managers who are afraid of losing their job because you might me good enough to be a managers too.
Pros
Great pay, nice members (customers), 2% raise every year, product not hard to sell.
Cons
No overtime allowed, Inexperienced mangers who are back stabbers, no commission
Very welcoming at first......now not at all.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MISeptember 23, 2016
I loved working at Sams the first 6-8 months, but now I loathe going at all. Upper management is rude, breaks are almost always late no matter how hard the lower managers try, and registers always breaking down.

Due to the low amount of employee's, we are often getting asked to stay overtime, but are now being written up if we go over the 40hr limit of work. I am constantly being asked to go fill in somewhere, bouncing from one place to the next, and then upper management asks me where I think I've been the past few hours, like I've been sitting around twiddling my thumbs. As hard as we try to be positive, management always finds some way to crash us back down again. Corporate is lecturing the cashiers and floor partners about how we need to work harder when they really need to be cracking down on upper management. The COS's (lower management) are always staying overtime, and get managements heat when corporate is on their tails.

This club is unfair, rude, and overall needs a reset.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
No benefits unless you're full-time, and then barely any at all. A whopping 2% on produce items only.
Fun people
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stafford, TX 77477November 23, 2016
A typical day was difficult with little help from other supervisors or managers.

I learned a lot about organization, policy, people, and time management,

The management at the location in which I worked was almost nonexistent. Little to no help, or direction and a lot of blame was put on employees.

The people you work with are the best!

The hardest part of the job was work life balance and the compensation.

The most enjoyable portion of my day was seeing young people grow.
Pros
People
Cons
Pay, Benefits, work-life balance
If I didn't have to move, I'd still be working there.
Member Services/ Dispensing Optician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 18, 2016
Unfortunately, the only reason I don't work at Sam's anymore is because I had to move out of state and the closest one is over an hour away. I could've transferred to walmart but I"ve worked at both places and it just isn't the same.

I've worked in multiple departments within Sam's Club and each one has their pros and cons, including different managers and how they do things differently.

There's a common saying at Sam's... you either stay for life or you move on quickly. Most of the people I used to work with were what we called lifers and had been there for 5 years or more- many of them 10 years or more. Sam's Club has great benefits and a family-style environment where they honestly do care about what's going on with you.
Pros
Family-style environments, benefits, free lunches if you meet your quotas
Cons
You are expected to sell memberships and credit cards.
Formative and overall nice place to work
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Albany, GANovember 18, 2016
A typical day at work for me. Is cleaning the shop, interacting with customers, hand to hand transactions, completing work orders such as: Rotating and Balancing tires, Changing batteries, windshields wipers and tires.
Things I've learned about management.
Managing a store take true dedication,hard-work,patients and communication.
The hardest part of my job in the beginning, was changing tires something so fundamental and can be somewhat complicated.
All honesty the most enjoyable part of my day is when I'am assisting customers
Pros
401k and dental benefits
Flexible and understanding of changing schedules
Tire Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, INAugust 15, 2016
As a college student I work part time at Sams Club. Each semester my schedule is usually different. They are always willing to work around my goals and ambitions all the while employing me all the hours I choose to work. The ability to choose how you want to balance your work life with personal life is a great benefit in working part time at Sams Club.
Pros
Flexible, transfer within, friendly management
Cons
not a competitive starting pay, not set hours, small annual raises
Ill-managed workplace with great pay
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAAugust 8, 2016
Sam's on the bright side is a fun job with great pay (10.50/hr). On the downside, the management is poor, they are not very understanding and they do not stick to their word. It is a face paced job where the systems mess up a lot and they do not give you the breaks you're supposed to get. The managers only focus on what they want instead of what needs to be focused on. They seem like they care but in reality they don't. At one point we were understaffed, they over worked us and sometimes we had to do the work of like 4 people by ourselves.
Pros
Great Pay, Fun Co-workers, fun holiday foods and games.
Cons
1 break for 8 hours, no benefits, understaffed, managers are not attentive.
good first job to see the basics of the workplace
Lead Department Head (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 29, 2016
The pay scale is terrible. As a team lead I was making $11.50. I worked over 60 hours almost every week, and the management is never satisfied. It is however a good place to train to drive a forklift, and other basic skills. I always liked working with my co-workers.
The hardest part of this job was the management. If you can put up with constant dissatisfaction, low pay, and managers that are always over your shoulder attempting to work you into an early grave, then this is the job for you!
The best thing about the job is the benefits package! You get stock purchases, 401k, and available healthcare!
Pros
Healthcare package
Cons
management, low pay
It's a job. You will learn a lot about yourself the longer you stay.
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lufkin, TxSeptember 30, 2016
If you work EXTREMELY hard, and have an ability to learn things quickly, eventually despite all bias you will be able to work your way up. Pay structure is bad. Despite being a top-quality worker they will hire people you have to train that will be getting paid more than you at times for their "bogus" experience that isn't really applicable to Sam's.
Pros
401k benefits, decent starting pay
Cons
lazy people who've been there for years get paid more than they should, management picks favorites
I think Sam's Club is a great career choice with excellent benefits. They give you a chance to advance in the company.
Optical Associate (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALJune 28, 2016
A typical day at work for me consists of providing great costumer service, making sure the costumers have the best eye wear for their lifestyle. I also make sure that i listen to their needs so that they will have the best patient experience. In my 12 years of being with the company, I've learned that being proactive is a great way to get things done in a timely manner. Management is fair with their associates. They take the time to listen to everyone's concern. They get better and better everyday. My coworkers are respectable, they feel like family to me. We work as a team. The hardest part of the job is not being able to satisfy the customers at times because of policies. I enjoy helping the customers, being able to greet them by their name and providing the best patient experience for their eye care needs.
Pros
Instant savings, great benefits, career opportunities
Cons
not fully staffed at times
Not what if use to be
Cashier (Current Employee) –  muskegon,mi and holland, miSeptember 12, 2016
They don't seem to care about employees. All cashiers are part time working 2 days a week, 4 if you're new to give you false hopes. I use to think sams club was an elite place to work, good benefits, higher pay, and a place that cared about employees. After working at multiple stores ive learned that sams club is no longer a great place to work. Benefits mean nothing if 99% of their employees are part time, they said sales didnt matter as long as i asked every person, but you lose hours. Yet they dont have anyone to train you to be better, coachings are a joke. ive been told, "you know what you need to work on". so instead of investing time with training employees that they have that are willing to learn they hire 20 more people, for a total of 30 cashiers all part time and those of us who have been there lose hours so the new employees get some.. its sad that a place that use to be customer oriented and a happy environment for employees, became all about upgrades and credits, no longer about making the customers happy.
Pros
free basic membership
Cons
Hours
Lot of cons
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJune 26, 2016
Thought I was getting a great job with a great management team. Instead we are treated like criminals and robots. If you open your don't have to do price changes or any compliance on your shift. WHY, cause the next persons coming in can do it. Plus have to run a register, line rush get merchandise for members , stock and zone the club. The best part is if you close you have to have permission to leave after your area is checked. If they are not satisfied I guess they think they can tell you to stay till it's done. You will all love this one. If you think they care about you or your safety you are wrong. You are locked in the building until they are ready to let you leave. Feeling like a hostage at my job. We all come in to work. We want to go home when our shift is over but we are being prevented from doing so. I hope this gets to the right hands cause something needs to change.
Benefits
Cons
All i wrote.
Sam's Club Sunrise
Assistant Store Manager in Multiple Areas (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLSeptember 16, 2016
The associates are a dedicated and hardworking group of individuals.
The hardest part of the job was holding people accountable for decisions made that may not have been within company policies.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people and daily interactions with the members.
I learned multiple aspects of the business to increase my knowledge in all areas.
Pros
benefits, associate interaction
Cons
long hours, inconsistent schedules
Unpredictable
Merchandiser, Misc. (Former Employee) –  Augsuta, MEAugust 22, 2016
Although each store has policies to abide by the management varies by region and policies are implemented differently because of it. I have worked at multiple locations and each was either far from the same or too similar. For example one store is flexible with policies if reasonable scenarios while another will fire you for one absence. Overall it is management that makes it hard to work for the company not just the absurd policies.
Pros
Benifits package is above industry standard.
Cons
Depends on management and location.
educational and fun job to work
Facility Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 4, 2016
I enjoyed going to work at Sam's it was a rewarding and educational job. Some of the management and the associates were very helpful and they pushed you to do better and be better everyday. the benefits were great and furthering yourself was as easy as taking a test and passing and applying for the position.Definitely a team.
Pros
Always a free luncheon
Cons
long hours on a concrete floor

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sam's Club. Our community is ready to answer.