Sam's Club
4,305 reviews

Sam's Club United States Employee Reviews

Encouraging environment
Hardlines Manager (Former Employee), Evans, COApril 7, 2015
Pros: excellent 401k
Cons: working holidays
Sams is a company that inspires personal growth. The Company promotes from within. Computer based learning keeps all employees current and enables them to grow. Sams Club University also has regular classes to teach train and develop managers. I have instructed there for audit and receiving. I also was involved in MIT training classes at our club.
Good job but bad management.
Floor Associate (Former Employee), Plano, TexasApril 6, 2015
Pros: Good environment
Cons: Bad scheduling and management
Days at work were nice during the mornings and afternoons until after 4, especially weekends.The managment wasn't good because they dont know how to give us the right amount of help in each department, especially on busy days like weekends. I worked in the biggest department (grocery department) which consisted of about 8 aisle and theres about a total of 13 aisles. Each closing shift I would have at most 1 other coworker helping in my department while all the other departments had from 3 to 4 people working each other department and they were never busy or come help out. The managers never had more help for me when I closed and I would always be shorthanded and I had the most aisles to take care of. The managers just never got onto hiring for help and never would understand why the grocery department was behind at closing time.
A great opportunity to work in a high paced enviroment and gain valuable work place experience and knowledge.
Unload Supervisor (Former Employee), Bedford, OHApril 6, 2015
Pros: ability to transfer anywhere in the world.
Cons: managerial rotations and associate turnover rate.
A typical day at work could be as varied as working the sales floor to assisting both customers and vendors. I learned to be flexible and willing to help at a moments notice and to not limit myself from learning new skills and tasks. Management ranged from micro-management to giving a general task and trusting the individual to complete the task assigned. The co-workers i`ve experienced were absolutely phenomenal a wide range of diversity working togethr for results no matter the situation. The hardest part of my job was ironically the most satisfying part of the job and that was resolving issues for both customers and vendors to a satisfactory conclusion.
The Members
Store Associate (Current Employee), Fayetteville, ARApril 6, 2015
Working to help provide the members of the Club the best experience in shopping and making sure they have what they need is the biggest part of the job.
Fast paced and always changing
CENTER SECTION SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Crystal Lake, ILApril 6, 2015
Pros: Long standing company, different work envirnment.
Cons: labor costs vs actual needs for customers
A typical day would include layout changes, member service. and attention to detail. As a "floor" supervisor one is required to watch over the entire club, i.e. not just one area but all areas. I have learned to mass and micro merchandise, drive a forklift and scissor lift, and training in each department. The "hardest" part of the job has been the lack of other associates as labor costs given to us are drastically low. The most enjoyable is the always changing environment.
nothing positive to say
Produce merchandiser, Rotisserie and Deli clerk (Current Employee), Granville, WVApril 6, 2015
Pros: its money
Cons: management, morale, culture
awful management, low morale, short staff, lazy supervisors, nobody does their fair share, just a terrible work culture
the employees are my favorite part of work because they keep me working.
Cashier (Current Employee), woodbridge, VAApril 5, 2015
Pros: meet new people, coworkers are very fun to work with.
Cons: healthcare, dental care, feel as though im just a number in the company.
stock the cases, fix the cooler, i try to do everything so that the closer does not have much to do. doing the truck work is the hardest part of the day.
Great Place to Work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Raymore, MOApril 5, 2015
loved the environment everyone was really friendly and very helpful , my typical day at work was fast paced and I stayed busy all through the work day
employment was a enjoyable experience
overnite merchantdizer (Former Employee), Reynoldsburg, OHApril 5, 2015
for the most part all other associates were hard working,although
at times acting immature,which I may think because of the age
difference between most of them and myself.my supervisors always
showed respect for all employees.to some not deserved.they often
accepted or put up with conduct unacceptable,at least to me.company always had some type of recognition food feed at
least once a month.yearly bonuses were always nice.I was very
comfortable working at Sam's.
Job security with advancement opportunities
Human Resources / Personnel Training Coordinator (Current Employee), Vestal, NYApril 4, 2015
Pros: free membership, profit sharing, matching contributions to 401K and stock purchasing
Cons: micro management
On the job training is available for multiple positions. Advancement opportunities at club level up through home office abound. The company promotes a customer service based culture introduced by the company's founder.
Great managers at this Club
Produce Merchandiser (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCApril 3, 2015
I have enjoyed working for Sams Club for almost 7 years. The great thing about this company is the interaction between the managers and associates. They communicate well and provide a fun environment. This company not only holds the members (customers) needs as a top priority, but also helps the community it surrounds. They rise money for organizations like NMSS as well as others.
fast pace work environment
meat wrapper, ware house associate (Former Employee), Seabrook, NHApril 3, 2015
typical day at work consist of running around taking order, giving them to the meat cutters sometimes even helping them if low staffed that day. customer service was a big role and making everyone happy with the best choice. organizing the coolers/freezers, heavy lifting included loading and unloading pallets or using a pallet jack. management was less then okay, very back and forth orders.
Stressful yet easy workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Dickson City, PAApril 3, 2015
Pros: Job Flexibility, Works well with life schedules
Cons: Forced to sell Memberships and Credit Cards, Rude customers
A typical day at work was kind of stressful.When you walked in a saw giant lines, it really set the mood for the rest of the day. If you walked in early during business hours and didn't see many people, you knew that it was going to be boring and slow for a few hours. Management was either on your back to get the numbers they needed for the day or they were no where to be found. All my co-workers looked annoyed or unhappy. Some stopped caring and just ignored those who walked around or stood behind us making sure that we asked customers to upgrade or get a credit card. I think that was the hardest part of the job. Trying to sell people an upgraded membership. When it first came out, people were willing to try it if it meant saving money. After they had tried it and it did not work for them, they wont be fooled again. If you lose customers trust, they aren't going to fall back into it at your command. So it made it harder to sell and get the numbers the company wanted. Also, selling credit cards to get money off your order, no one wants a credit card with high interest and whether you cancel the card after you apply, it still affects your credit. Not only that, but some of the customers seemed to believe that just because they paid for a membership, they could be very rude to the cashiers who are just doing what they are told to do. I think the most enjoyable part of this job was just the co-workers and sometimes the customers. The turnover rate was kind of high in the place so there were a lot of new faces to meet. And sometimes you would get the customers who were willing to joke and connect with you rather than see you as just a lowly worker.
Fast paced, with the ability to move up within the company
Asset Protection Manager (Former Employee), Pleasantville, NJApril 3, 2015
Pros: advancement within the company, very structured.
I started with the company as an hourly associate. Within three years time, I was promoted to management. Which proves that with hard work, dedication you can move up with the company
fun and hard working company
Cashier/Wireless Sales Associate (Former Employee), columbia, sc harbison blvdApril 3, 2015
Pros: making members smile and good benefits
Cons: short breaks
A typical day a work consisted of me restocking the shelves with merchandise, answering questions that any members had, checking out the members in a timely manner and helping members with any help with cell phone and contracts. I learned how to work in a fast paced area. Management was always there when you needed them. My co-workers were very hard workers and eventually became good friends. The hardest part of the job was reaching high places. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the members.
Nice and hard working
Forklift Operator (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALApril 2, 2015
well I have a routine everyday when I come to work. I clock in and get straight to stocking my department which is Hardlines. Which is all about furniture and automotive and home ware.
I did not enjoy working at Sams Club
Cashier (Former Employee), AppleValley MNApril 2, 2015
Pros: Not having to work Holidays
Cons: No breaks, COS's are unfair, favortism, all they care about is Membership income (upgrades)
Sam's Club in Apple Valley MN is not organized at all. No one is ever on the same page about anything. They are unfair , make you stand all day with little to none breaks, then yell at you for using the restroom or to get a drink. They favor the cashiers who are good at getting membership upgrades, and credit. Because that's all they care about. Even when the members are tired of being asked.. we are forced to pressure them into upgrading. With all the cons to this job, there come benefits too... I loved how we didn't have to work major holidays. Although it wasn't really my kind of workplace setting.
Productive And Great People To Work For
Very Hardworking Coworkers
Meeting New People And Helping The Community
A so so job
Cashier (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCApril 2, 2015
The job isn't too bad, but job security isn't to good anymore. The turnover rate is high. Also I have only gotten one bonus in three years. They try to blame it on the front end for not getting enough members to upgrade their memberships or get credit. I like my coworkers but the managers are very wishy washy. Trying to get time off is like pulling teeth. A lot of people request time off but they reject all if it because they want you to tell them exactly why you need that time off to see if it is important enough. The hardest part of the job is the productivity. Trying to get someone to upgrade their membership or to get them to fill out a credit application. The most enjoyable part is actually being able to help someone.
Good, friendly place to work
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), McDonough, GAApril 2, 2015
Pros: Reasonable insurance, 401K, profit sharing, stock purchase, discounts, paid vacation, paid personal leave.
Cons: Work schedule and holidays
The environment is friendly although sometimes very hectic, especially around the holidays. The hardest part of the job is trying to satisfy all the members. There are and always will be some that you just cannot please. Management recognizes your abilities and performance and compensates for your efforts. The benefits are better than I expected. The company offers a lot of resources for their employees and their families. The associates are helpful and friendly. It really is a good place to work.

About Sam's Club

A division of Wal-Mart Stores since 1983, Sam's Club accounts for 12% of Wal-Mart's sales. It runs about 610 locations in 47 US – Read more

Sam's Club Salaries