Sam Ash Music Employee Reviews

Slow and cut-throat
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 29, 2018
Hardly any traffic, especially with a competitor located directly behind Sam Ash. Harsh commission rates that leave employees seeking secondary employment.
Sucks
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 24, 2018
If you are innovative or at all into bringing things into the future, this is not the company for you. Constant pressure to beat sales with ZERO advertising (unless you're in NYC) and constant shut down of good and new ideas.
Great environment
Pro Audio/Tech Sales (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 17, 2018
The management and coworkers are easy to get along with. Very competitive, but fun and driven environment. Learning about new products and sharing with the customers as the choose what to buy was a rewarding experience.
Difficult to compare one store to HQ...
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  NJJanuary 8, 2018
"Management" and "Job Culture" weren't rated because this may vary in stores, even within the same state. The management and culture at my store is great, but I've been to other stores and it looked like it was operated by a completely different entity. In my store I have a supportive, competent management and I think highly of all my coworkers in the various departments. Hours are very flexible. At my store level, it was all 5-stars.

As for the company... that is a separate matter. In the span of my several years, I have had only one chance for a promotion. Due to school-work complications, this opportunity came and went. More recently, when I asked for a raise in my hourly base (which is weighed against commission earned; it is not base plus commission pay) I was told "[The regional manager] says he does not have enough ammunition to seek approval for you." Being that my whole experience in the workforce has been dedicated to this company, I was deeply disturbed and profoundly insulted by this. My established customer rapport and diligent work meant nothing because sales numbers are everything to the corporate office. Working in a comparatively less-busy store weighs these odds of advancement incredibly against your favor. Furthermore, If your store isn't selling as much as another, you are held accountable for it. The attitude roughly goes: "No customers? No foot traffic? Well, we aren't going to pay for advertising, or for relocating your store to the newly vacant shopping center on the major highway 5 minutes from here while your decrepit building still stands, your
  more... staff just isn't turning over the garden enough."

All in all, at the store level, employment at a Sam Ash store can be rewarding. If you are a college student looking for a part time job, or a musician needing a job, it isn't all bad. It can be an insightful experience in the world of music business. Maybe I'm too pessimistic, and I just work in a great store with a poor location. If I were a professional audio associate in the Manhattan or Hollywood store I would have more positive notes. As the saying goes, "your mileage may vary."
Sales job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYJanuary 8, 2018
It's a competitive and sometimes harsh place to work with the focus always being on money. Management can be aggressive. And the pay does not counter balance the harsh attitudes.
relaxed work place
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 4, 2018
Management is pretty relaxed. Workplace culture is relaxed as long as you're not in sales. The most enjoyable part of the job is the things you learn from coworkers and customers.
Not a bad job
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 2, 2018
Worked there over 15 years ago so it's probably changed. I remember it was ok, got to play a lot of gear, if I could have made more $$$ maybe I would have stayed.
Lots of music, little money
SALES/CLIENT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 21, 2017
Sam Ash is one of the last greats in music instrument retail. Their stores are huge, inventory is abundant and the lights are flashy. Sam Ash prides themselves on being a family run business. So is the mafia. Having plenty of experience is commission based sales, I was no stranger to the idea but their system is a mess. There is no way to know what items pay what or how to plan a check as the percentages change constantly. They say it's a good fit for musicians as they are flexible with scheduling but when I was forced to go get a second job, the flexibility became unaccommodating ridgity and there was no accommodation whatsoever. Itmaoinds fun but is just not feasable for someone wanting a career and to be able to provide.
Pros
Music
Cons
Mafia like culture and expectation along with repercussions for failure.
Fun workplace
Operations Assistant/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 5, 2017
As a young musician, it's a dream come true to work at a music store. I enjoyed most days. We would discuss new gear, bands, and get to meet musicians of all ages and skill levels.
The worst part is definitely the noise. Parents would sometimes leave their kids there to pound away on drums or turn up guitar amps. This got old really fast.
This is a sales job so your earnings are based on commission. Some departments did much better than others and this varies depending on the city.
I would recommend this job to passionate musicians who know how to sell.
lack of Environment...
Porter/Head-Stock (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2017
i did not enjoy my time working at sam ash. what i did enjoy was the environment coming from a musical background. the staff was great but the management was just terrible...
Pros
music
Cons
good deed go unnoticed.
Job security was constantly a threat
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  City of Industry, CAOctober 24, 2017
I worked at Sam Ash for little over a year and the whole "make base" system is crazy. Brass & Winds can do it and same with Pro Audio but everything else in the store practically can't even though guitars is one of the popular sections. They show a lot of favoritism too. I saw a lot of kids work there to have their soul's crushed. In my time of working there I saw about 20 people quit/get fired(and they employ about 26 people at this location). It's not worth it. Stick to small shops.
Pros
co-workers are usually great
Cons
low pay, horrible upper management
Great place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 6, 2017
If you love working around musical instruments and like minded people, Sam Ash is a great place to work! Be prepared for a competitive commission based salary and slow periods during weekdays, but if that is okay with you, I could not recommend the company any more!
Pros
Music based environment, relaxed and casual staff, great managment
Cons
Commission, slow during off season
fun place to work
A/P Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYOctober 5, 2017
Casual fun workplace with great bosses and owners. People here are really nice. I learned all asspects of the accounts payable field without having to go to school for it.
Pros
Bagel Wed.
Cons
No raises
Not great, but can be fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJSeptember 8, 2017
It's like war, long stretches of boredom with pierced with moments of fast paced action. I learned very little other than how terrible the corporate management is. No one listens to any ideas from employees or even store management, and they don't even advertise, which is quite counter-productive to a sales position. The people that work at the store level are generally good people and hard workers, not always but most of the time. The job is boringly simplistic to perform, but is extremely reliant on product specific knowledge pertaining to musical instruments and music in general. The best part of the job is a combination of the people at the store level, the discount, and the opportunity to play $5000 guitars without having to purchase them.
Pros
Discounts, Employees
Cons
Salary, Corporate, Opportunity for Advancement
Great atmosphere
SALES ASSOCIATE / MUSIC INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FLAugust 14, 2017
As a musician and a full time student, this was a phenomenal place to work. I learned more about the other end of the industry and the discounts really helped me out as a musician. Other than that, it's not somewhere to really make a living unless you come in off the clock, haggle customers, and stress out over breaking a base with a low customer count through the door. The base+commission standard is outdated and only beneficial to those in pro-audio where people tend to gravitate more to (DJs), besides. ALL musicians need audio gear. so they had the most traffic. (This is coming from a top seller of the store. top 5 most times. never lower than 10th) I'd sell across depts to make ends meet and a hefty commission. Stress laden
The classes were something else altogether. To charge a student $60 and only see half of that for yourself (before taxes) is unheard of. My private lessons were half that and can save the customer money. May parents saw the price as too steep. and any discounts on lessons came out of my end
Pros
Breakfast meetings, discounts, great environment
Cons
Pay, "Mandatory Saturdays" were not mandatory for a select few, No room for growth, management never gave credit where due
Family Owned
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 26, 2017
Even though I no longer work for the Ash family, I will always be loyal to them as a customer. When my family was in need during a hard time I received a call from Sammy Ash himself asking about the well being of my family. All decisions they have ever made in my experience were business decisions not personal. They strive to remain competitive and most importantly knowledgeable in an industry swamped with people who pretend to know a lot more about musical instruments than they actually do know.
Pros
Family Atmospehere
Cons
Advancement beyond the store level is tough due to longevity of employment
A fun Place to work but pay makes it hard to reccomend
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAMay 17, 2017
I worked at store 34 in King of Prussia. I got along wonderfully with the management, and still maintain a friendship and relationship with the store today, but the advent of online sales make it very difficult to maintain reliable pay when it is almost entirely on commission.
Pros
Music every day
Cons
unreliable pay
Lessons learned
Sales (Former Employee) –  Southwest USAMay 17, 2017
Great opportunity to see inside corporate America again. Tackling projects and daily demands, combined with the interaction of the public allowed myself to see insights should I become involved with the sales world again.
Pros
Staff was great.
Cons
Archaic systems and thinking in the 21st century
music store environment
Luthier (Current Employee) –  Westminster, CAMay 7, 2017
overall very good place to work noisy environment but that's to be expected. I have built a decent customer base there and have customers from previous employers following my career there
Pros
discounts
I miss working here
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJApril 13, 2017
I miss working here. I wish I stayed, but I thought the job I left sam ash for was ideal.
Sam ash has great people to work with and it's fun. I enjoyed it. The pay and hours were lame though and where I was there wasn't room for advancement or benefits because it was only part time.
Though, it wasn't a bad job. I got to be myself and work with really great people.
Some of the customers were a little strange, but for the most part it was a good place to work.
Pros
Great people, fun environment
Cons
Pay rate is low, difficult spot