Sam Houston State University Employee Reviews

Productive and great coworker
Tech and Loan Support (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJune 14, 2017
Everyday was busy but with the great staff, everything was possible.
We would start our day 5 minutes before opening our doors to the students. This would allows us enough time to settle in and recollect notes from yesterday.We had a routine to help alleviate the workload in our office. Half the office would get on the phones in the morning, the other half would run their daily procedures then switch in the afternoon.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Understaffed
Productive and fun working place with very nice faulty
Visiting Assistant Professor of Mathematics (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJune 9, 2017
Sam Houston State was a very nice place to work, but I was hired as a one-year, non-renewable visiting assistant professor there. Although I worked at the University happily, keeping a good rapport with my colleagues there, but I must leave after one year.
Pros
Nice weather and good working culture
Cons
One-year, non-renewable job
Fun and relaxed place to work
Full Scholarship Student Athlete (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJune 8, 2017
Spent a great 4 years here as a student athlete, full time MBA student, and a graduate assistant. friendly people and fun environment. It is a close knit community that supports helping graduates and employees alike
Teaching assistant
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJune 7, 2017
I was a teaching assistant while getting my degree so there is not much to say other than the professors were great and I enjoyed teaching the labs immensely
Pros
teaching is fun
empowering
Head Lifeguard of Personnel (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJune 7, 2017
I used to train the staff in CPR, AED, and First Aid and loved every minute of it. I loved getting to work in personnel and pick up the staff each week. Depending on the day though the work environment could be very uptight and tense.
N/a
Student Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJune 5, 2017
Great environment to succeed. Plenty of opportunities to better yourself and great staff. Truly loving place to attend. Small campus that made everything less stressful.
Seasonal workflow
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMay 26, 2017
In academic support, the work was seasonal with the academic year. Prepping for next year, executing the plans and evaluating ways to improve for the following year was the norm.
Pros
Permitted to attend class during the workday
Cons
Hierarchical leadership model
productive
Rec Staff (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMay 18, 2017
Easy job not hard to follow the rules. management was good with no complications. Lenient staff. As long as you follow the rules you will be fine doing what your supposed to.
Fun place to work
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMay 17, 2017
Working at Sam Houston State University has been a very rewarding experience! I have learned so much that will assist me in future positions. I look forward to applying all that I have acquired through my work experience.
Great College Job
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMay 17, 2017
I worked for the Mass Com department while I was taking classes at Sam Houston State University. It helped me learn my craft as well as develop a relationship with the professors and students that I helped on a regular basis. Very flexible hours!
Pros
Flexible and Informative
Cons
Minimum wage College job
Great work environment
Assistant to the Chair (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMay 15, 2017
Enjoyed working in the Department of History. Great benefits and environment. Friendly employees, great faculty, and lots of training. Traveled for training to Vegas. Monthly meals free with training. Free exercise classes offered.
Flexible
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMay 15, 2017
Flexible with school schedule, minimum wage, love my supervisor. A lot of positions to fill year round, younll find something younlike. Some departments pay a little more than others (20 cents to $1)
interesting and diverse workplace
Warehouse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMay 3, 2017
State law prohibits more than 28hrs/week, workload depends on maintenance staff's workloads as they order many parts from and through you, staff is nice and enjoyable,
Great if you're a student
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXApril 27, 2017
This position was great as a student. I worked overnight and had classes during the day. However, compensation and stress was sub-optimal for anyone else. Zero praise for work done, pitchforks came out when something happens despite practices being vague.
Pros
Generally relaxed
Cons
Never know when someone will explode
Productive Learning Place
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 25, 2017
Daily jobs will help you learn about techniques and skills needed in the work field. The management is very friendly and kind, work schedule is very flexible.
Pros
Off on Holidays
Cons
Short Lunch
Great place if you want to continue learning and growing
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXApril 19, 2017
Working in a lab at Sam Houston State University is awesome. There are always new projects to focus on and the job is never monotinous. Employees are constantly pushed to learn knew techniques and to broaden their scientific knowledge.
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXApril 12, 2017
Very productive place to work. Fun environment to to be apart of. Hardworking individuals as well as fun. Very professional, I would recommend this environment to anyone.
Registrar Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXApril 12, 2017
Job security, easy single mom job, great insurance. The experience it comes with. The TRS. Administrative background of almost 5 years. People who also become family and life long friends.
Fast-paced, at times hectic but rewarding.
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXApril 11, 2017
One would have to work at SHSU to fully appreciate it. The department I worked in is small in comparison with other departments at the university, but engaging nonetheless.
Professional and academically enriching workplace with a wonderful work place culture.
Senior Peer Financial Counselor, CPFC (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXApril 7, 2017
While working at Sam Houston State University I have been able to grow and enrich myself academically and professionally in the workplace. Through this I have developed skills that are valuable to my place in the professional marketing world as well as the institutional environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sam Houston State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4