Sam Houston State University Employee Reviews in United States

"Family" work environment, team building, very supportive
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJuly 4, 2016
Working for SHSU-LEMIT was one of the best experiences I have ever had. I looked forward to going to work daily and seeing my coworkers. They made me feel like part of a family and I still keep up with them. Each day was different; most of the time I worked on the computer, filing, organizing, inventory, and registering participants for the upcoming program. During preparation for a program I would order supplies, organize the classrooms, prepare lunch menus, and confirm hotel reservations. My boss was very bubbly and outspoken. She made my work environment relaxing and comfortable. Along with her and my coworkers, my days flew by and there was always a new adventure waiting around the corner.
Pros
the atmosphere was energetic and i was treated like a family member
Great early experience at teaching college-level students
Astronomy T.A. (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMay 23, 2016
I was teaching the lab portion of the astronomy course that I had previously taken and done well in. Students would come into the classroom and I would teach them about what they are going to be doing in the lab. They would then carry out the experiment and I would answer any questions.

I would then grade their reports and return them the following week.
Pros
Great experience for an undergrad
Cons
Time-consuming while still taking courses
As a student worker, Being part of the College as a student and worker helps!
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJune 21, 2016
I love to help other students with all questions and direct them to the right place to go for help. The Workers that work there, help students succeed in life and I am grateful to have been apart of that. I see the struggle starting school and the amazing feeling of finishing. They supported me through the whole process.
Hands on experience working in a research laboratory
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXApril 6, 2016
One would come in after their completed classes and talk with their PI about what work needed to be accomplished or what grants needed to be applied for. Most of the research was independent and one was often preparing to present their information towards colleagues.
Pros
Hands on experience, networking, supportive environment
Cons
Lack of guidance
Sam Houston State University
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXApril 28, 2016
As a friend once told me, academia is like hunger games for adults. This is true, and the hardest part of my job is maintaining a calm demeanor in a place where a lot of coworkers are only looking forward to their own advancement, and rightfully so. A typical day at work looks like an 8-5 job in which I attend regular meetings, and hold office hours in order to facilitate assistance to undergraduate students. I have learned management of several different revolving parts: Thesis assimilation, undergraduate support, staff support, classes and it has made me a harder working individual who can balance several equally important things at once and give my maximal effort in all of the aspects of my job. I would say the hardest part of my job would be to wade through 20-30 pages in one article that were assigned for almost every class. However, like everything else, I learned my niche and made it work. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that I had a mentor who supported me, and helped me to succeed, and the general feeling of being proud of being a graduate student. Another enjoyable part of my job was the fact that I was trusted with my own employment - everything I do and did in my program fell on my shoulders, and it taught me invaluable amounts of responsibility.
Pros
Having a private office.
Cons
No healthcare coverage.
I enjoy teaching classes in the Food Science and Nutrition programs and mentoring students to reach their goals.
instructor (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXNovember 29, 2015
Nutrition and dietetic is in Family and Consumer Sciences department at Sam Houston State University. The campus here at SHSU is beautiful and energetic which is matched by our facilities in Family and Consumer Sciences.
These programs provide students with the necessary skills for future professional growth in both the public and private sectors, and for engagement in the global marketplace.
Our faculty, students and staff at SHSU welcome you and believe your educational experience on our campus will exceed your expectations thanks in large part to our low teacher/student ratio. This allows you, as a student, more one-on-one time to further your knowledge.
Staff Writer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJune 11, 2016
I was a student there for 6 years and on the newspaper staff for 2 of those years I loved Sam Houston State University. I was a Campus Culture Staff Reporter, so I mainly focused on Campus events and culture of the school.
Quiet study area
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJune 13, 2016
Great atmosphere with hard working students. Utilized everyones skills to achieve a common goal. Learned how to address problems in a professional manner.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Healthcare
Graduate Assistant review
Graduate Assistant, History Department (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJune 10, 2016
I truly enjoyed working as a graduate assistant while at Sam Houston State University. I got to work with some amazing professors who taught me a lot.
Production Assiatnt
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXFebruary 8, 2016
I enjoyed getting the experienced I did in my three years of attending. I learned so much through a variety of professors and experienced reporters. There I was able to manage the teleprompter, produce the Spanish new segment, edit and translate the news when necessary.
Pros
Flexible with my class schedule
Cons
Could had paid more for an experienced student
Supportive atmosphere
Peer Counselor (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMay 12, 2016
I am a student employee at SHSU. My supervisors are very supportive and uplifting. I've gained a ton of skills on the job here that will be valuable anywhere I work.
Resident Assistant
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMarch 10, 2016
Check around make sure residents are okay, create programs for them to attend, make rounds around the dorm buildings

Hardest Part: Trying to get residents to get along with their roommates

Enjoyable Part: Getting to know all of them on a one on one basis
nice place to work
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXNovember 20, 2015
helped me develop good work ethics and attention to details
nice people to work with
decent pay
the management tries as much as possible to provide a conducive work environment to all employess
Great place.
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMay 5, 2016
Love it, wonderful atmosphere and really great people to work for. Would definitely recommend as an entry-level work place.
Fun workplace which is enhancing my Knowledge
Student Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Nice Environment
Interaction with students
Daily Improvement
Good communication with professors
Very helpful co-workers
Teaching is Hardest part
Clearing doubts of students and self-learning is best part
awesome
Resident Advisor- Department of Residence Life (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMarch 10, 2016
it was a good school. a good community to live in. I enjoyed my time there. you will learn a lot. students were friendly. Huntsville is a good place to live in except its a small town
A typical day at work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXSeptember 19, 2015
I have graduate course to attend 8-10 am MWF, after I have undergraduate labs to teach, minimum 2 hours to 6 hours, it depends, plus I might have chemistry tutoring, rest of the time I will be focusing on my research and my studies. Two out of five week days are totally dedicated for my graduate research, and it's always fun in the research lab, more than group members we are family here, and our group is truly international :)
Pros
Learned to use a couple of new analytical instruments, joined new scientific organizations, presented research work through out US (the most I can achieve), animal studies gave me confidence for my ultimate goal
Cons
At least the University can waive the insurance for Grad students:(
Productive, Interactive, and relaxing workplace.
library assistant 1 (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXNovember 22, 2015
Typical day at work includes: checking reserves material in and out at the circulation desk, assisting patrons as needed, overseeing student workers. I also do the online renewal book request and at the beginning the month i do the monthly statistics.
Pros
great work envirnment
Great
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJanuary 4, 2016
This was a great place to work as a graduate assistant. It was a great work environment, and flexible working hours/days. Co-workers were wonderful.
Lots of hands on experience and great management
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXNovember 10, 2015
Working for the school gave me vast experience in working with equipment and with experienced professionals in my desired field. The hours worked great for working around homework and a social life.
Pros
Hands on experience with equipment
Cons
Minimum wage

Sam Houston State University Reviews by Location