Samaritan Village Inc

Samaritan Village Inc Employer Reviews

Close management relations for employees in need of personal assistance
CUSTODIAN/DRIVER/ MAINTANACE WORKER (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 25, 2014
Pros: paid lunch, caring management
Cons: no overtime pay. only time back.
The objective and what this company has accomplished in a short time span is amazing. they offer so many different social services for people with all sorts of problems life has to offer.
I learned a lot from my fellow co-workers as well as building up keeping/ inspection ready facility.
Great for Career Starters!
Senior Case Manager (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYJuly 30, 2014
Pros: ample trainings
Cons: high staff turnovers
This is a fast paced environment. A typical day consists of groups, individual counseling sessions and assessments, in addition to weekly staff meetings. There are daily supervised urine screenings. Small staff of about 25 at this location and staff feel like "family". I have been in much training that I am grateful for because it expanded my knowledge to levels that were not acquired through my education. The hardest part of the job is that the job is very demanding and unpredictable at times, especially when it is regarding the clients. The most enjoyable part of the job is engaging in clean and sober activities with clients and staff. It feels good to barbeque, go on trips and have parties with our clients.
Productive, energetic , high volume agency to work for.
Case Manager/Substance Abuse Counseling (Former Employee), New York CityApril 10, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: work all holidays.
Typical work involves high volume client interaction. I learned to trust in working with a team and with management. Co-workers are positive fun to work with. The hardest part of the job changing shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing, hearing the results of clients improve the quality of their lives.
Lacking seriousness and educated professionals
Assistant Director (Former Employee), Gloria's House, Bronx, NYMarch 29, 2014
Pros: sick and vacation time allotment is reasonable given the stresfull environment.
Cons: high staff turn over, poor human resources department and poor oversight by senior management.
Was employed at a tier 2 family homeless shelter named Gloria's House in the Bronx, NY. The Program Director is a licensed social worker who lacks common knowledge of operating procedures, policies. In violation of NYS Labor Laws, staff worked beyond the usual 8 hours shift without lunch breaks. Case Managers were asked on several occasions to refrain from meeting with clients as scheduled to assist Program Director with weekly NYC DHS report. Reasoning behind this, was that Program Director keeps a closed door policy by refusing to meet with residents and employees. Gloria's House lacks a true leader with knowledge of basis daily routines, people skills and overall common sense. In one occasion, a resident was advised by Program Director to seek full time employment as a bus matron while the nature of the part is only part-time. There is no such thing as a " full time school bus matron". There is no solid leadership in the administrative offices in Briarwood". It's the clown leading the fools. Happy to be free!
Working as social worker is personal and for community reasons.
Social Worker (Former Employee), Bronx, NYNovember 9, 2013
Pros: good environment
A tipical day at work consist of: from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM; learned significant client's values and efforts for success; management well organized; I work well with others; there isn't any hard part of the job because is rewarding for me; the most enjoyable part on the job is when I'm able to help someone to enhance his/her level of functioning and thinking.
a competitive social services company
Masters level clinician (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 21, 2013
Pros: growing company, fair pay, decent benefits
Cons: a few poorly trained managers and staff people among a team of good workers
First of all, I'm a Masters level clinician. I recently took a job with Samaritan Village.

There seem to be a lot of recent reviews online about working for this company and I think the reason is that they're growing and hiring like crazy. In this era, with social service jobs shrinking in number and with their compensations shrinking too, this fact alone is a PRO by my standards.

Samaritan Village, Inc. seems to be a company that has everything in place and at its core has a strong organizational culture. That said, there are lots of Samaritan Village providers and lots of little sub-cultures. Also, the fact that they're hiring like crazy is not always a good thing when it comes to competent managaement and coworkers. If you can't tell from my wording, I could live without some of my coworkers and believe they could be better trained, and could treat each other and clients with more respect. But I've seen the same thing in other organizations and Samaritan works with oppressed clients---clients who should be encouraged and supported but are often mistreated, even by the agencies that get paid to help them.

In terms of pay, the pay that I was offered was competitive. They matched my last position and the benefits are better. I was offered 2 other jobs this spring and both offered me less than Samaritan Village. Sure, many of the case managers make what seems like peanuts. But honestly, I think the pay is pretty much the same that they would be offered in other, similar positions. It's human services and the salaries across the board, and in agencies similar to Samaritan as – more... well as at Samaritan, could be better.

My Samaritan Village is actually overstaffed, especially compared to the environment I came from. I leave after 8 hours, always, and I have a reasonable schedule. Also, because they're hiring left and right they're offering overtime left and right too.

The benefits are competitive. Vacation time is good and sick time offered is more than fair. The benefits kick in after 90 days, which is standard.

They offer a variety of schedules, since a lot of their facilities operate round the clock, 365 days a year. – less
Productive and New Learning Experience Everyday
Technical Support (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 13, 2013
Pros: time flexibility
Cons: no separate cubicles as you get forced to listen to everybodys conversation
As part of the IT Management team, there were lots of responsibilities including technical support and C#.Net application development and mainframe maintenance.
Awful Place To Work
Case Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 5, 2013
Cons: people, pay
The place is a snakepit, full of cliques.

I beg you not to make the same mistake I did. The pay is awful.

The Clients are the best part. Your co-workers are the worst part of your day.
I like working at Samaritan Village it's a very productive place to work it's just the pay is not that well.
Senior Case Manager, Level III (Current Employee), Jamaica, QueensJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: love the team i work with, clients are excellent to work with, hours are flexible, i love what i do.
Cons: the job does not pay well especially for my credentials.
One thing that I like about where I work is that everyday is not the same, there is no room to get bored doing what I do because everyday is a adventure.