Samaritan Village Employee Reviews in United States

Samaritan Village where good lives
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 8, 2016
Samaritan Village is one organization that has been doing communities of good…worlds of good for New Yorkers for more than 50 years.
Perfect environment to advocate for individuals engaged in the Criminal Justice System with substance abuse issues.
Part Time Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 28, 2016
I worked for Samaritan Village four days a week facilitating two groups a week (Anger Management and Parenting). I also conducted assessments, generated bio-psychosocials, and met with residents for individual sessions. Great opportunity to advocate for and provide support services to clients in an inpatient therapeutic community who have a combination of legal, substance abuse, employment, and housing issues.
Pros
Residents participate in structure
Cons
Housing Specialist Needed
Challenging workplace.
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  New York City, NYJune 28, 2016
Samaritan Village didn't offer advancement opportunities, and expected employees to step outside of their job descriptions and wear many hats. It was a salaried position so there was no over time pay though you would work fifty to sixty hours a week. Many of the employees were hired from their client base, these were former drug addicts normally employed after long periods of unemployment.
Pros
As the cook I ate for free and got to work with a clientale of veterans.
Cons
Had to switch gears on a moments notice, and accept rude behavior from upper management
Great learning experience
Intake Worker (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMay 23, 2016
I enjoyed working as an intern and learned about the field.
Its the perfect place to observe and analyze the work the work that has to be done.
I was in the intake area and I liked that work because of the communication involved with prospective clients.
Pros
intern
Cons
no pay
Great co-workers, good team work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 12, 2016
Working at my current job allows me the opportunity to work with a population I had not worked with in the past. The main thing is to provide the client quality service and support them in the development of their decision making in their future journey. My co-workers are the best group of people I have had the pleasure of working with. It is pleasant and team work is a culture for us. The hardest part of my job is working with the housing specialist finding suitable housing for the clients, with the rent being so high in NYC. The most enjoyable part of my job is finding suitable housing for the clients and moving them into their new home.
Driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Elenville, nyFebruary 29, 2016
Driving for Samaritan Village, was very rewarding and beneficial to me, it helped me to get to know people of different cultures and Backrounds.
It also helped me to breakout of my shell, And become a better person.
Assissted families in returning to their home after the destruction of Hurricane Sandy
Case Manager, Hurricane Sandy (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 5, 2016
Reporting to the deputy director to devise a plan that will return more than 85% of families back into permanent housing. The plan included providing resources that will enable the families to return to the community and lead productive stable lives.

Management was very seasoned. My co workers were eager to learn and implement new ideas to make the transition into permanent housing smoother.

The hardest part of the job was the clients that did not want to comply with standard rules and regulations.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing families reunited again in stable and comfortable housing.
Pros
Great resources and tools
Cons
Too large case loads
Multiple Job Functions
Benefits housing case mgmnt (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, NYJanuary 9, 2016
I was hired as a Benefits Coordinator originally then I was given the responsibilities as case Manager and Housing Specialist. I am diverse with multiple benefits offered by the City of New York. The hardest part of the Job is helping the clients be self sufficient and self empowered.
Pros
Being Able to be well veresed in all benefits and Housing Programs
Cons
Not being acknowledged for the work being done.
Workplace and Job review
Case Manager/ Drug Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYDecember 26, 2015
Well, a typical day at work will be conflicts among clients and some time clients having a problem with staff or vise verse ; however, in the process of these conflicts I learned how to manage and take control of the situation; although, there were one or two occasions were the authorities (police) had to be called; nevertheless, conflicts were not the only thing I was able to manage. like charts that had to be kept up to date, such as case notes, independent living plans (ILP's) and so on, but equally important or even more, so is how to manage clients in helping them in their situation, and great co-workers that had assisted me in getting the job done and like wise. My co-workers did what they had to do in order to make sure that the clients were getting the help they needed to move on to the next level in life, such as, permanent housing although housing placement was our primary aim my co-workers made sure that any other needs where met like mental health and so; in addition, to after care, meaning when they move out we do follow ups to make sure they are doing well in paying their rent on time or any other issues that may occur.
Furthermore, the hardest part of the job was finding affordable housing. This was difficult because the client had to fit a criteria, for example, the client had to be 60 years old with an illness or illnesses, but the client might be sick, but only 55 years old. this automatic disqualify the client. The shortage of affordable housing programs is one of the major problems when it comes to working in shelters.
another example, is share
  more... living this is for clients who are on public assistance and welfare is willing to pay 215.00 dollars a month, but the conditions are hazardous and dangerous and no place for any human being to life, as a result the clients come back disappointed and angry.
furthermore, to find employment with an income to pay for rent and their daily living. This can be very problematic because most of the clients did not complete high school or archived a GED, for the clients that might have one are usually faced with mediocre jobs that pays minimum wages or under.
In addition, immigrants were another issues that was faced on the job they definitely cannot find legal employment, which prove employment and is needed to obtain housing.
Other big issue that was hard about the job was being short of staff, mostly case managers another one was clients who had ACS cases that the housing specialist along with the case manger could only seek for housing placement for the client and not the family, as a whole, so the outcome will be that the client will end up back into the shelter systems, when her children return back to her.
Moreover, to see the clients being homeless in general is also one of the hardest part of the job; however, there is a bright side to the day to day challenges that life brings and that is the joy of overcoming the challenges that were mention above with positive enforcement in assisting the clients in obtaining employment, housing, education, and so on. there is no better joy then helping a client overcome a issues that they felt helpless about. Although they may have more then one problem its best to take one a day at a time and to see them for the whole person because the clients are just not homeless.
Pros
one hour lunch break
Cons
the pay.
Hard work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 22, 2015
Typically, its all about the veteran and helping them with referrals, linking them to community agencies, etc. The management is new and learning, the supervisor is committed to helping the veteran. The hardest park would be when a veteran is about to be evicted and the courts don' make it any easier. The most enjoyable is moving the veteran into permanent housing.
Pros
9-5pm no weekends
Cons
some workers

Want to know more about Samaritan Village?

Ask a question
productive place to work
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2015
plenty of professionals dedicated to the mission of helping others, interchangeable supervisors able to step in and train and teach less able workers
Pros
training's
Cons
low pay
I have many friends for life, that I met from working here. I learned a lot about the harmful effects from drug addiction.
Healthcare Coordinator/Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, NYNovember 8, 2015
I worked at two facilities at SV as a Health Coordinator. IMO, the salary was too low for the many responsibilities that I was responsible for. Too many staff meetings, trainings and rules. I was constantly going over to Briarwood for these trainings. When a Nurse would leave their employ at one of their facilties, management would take their time when re-hiring another Nurse, which meant that you would be called to fill in until another nurse was hired. That meant weeks where you were working at two facilities at one time. The Nursing Supervisor and the Program Director at my facility was inept and very unprofessional. I left after much dis-satisfaction towards the end. I now work at a facility where I work as a Health Speciaist/Case Manager but it is less stressful, I receive more benefits and perks, great pay with raises every year, room for advancement and I have a wonderful supportive Supervisor who is also my friend and always supports my efforts. I would recommend SV to anyone looking for an entry level position and needs to acquire experience but then move on.
Pros
The staff works as a team, friendly environment
Cons
Low pay, huge staff turnover
Samaritan Village
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 26, 2015
Depending on what location you're at will determine how long you'll stay or how many opportunities you will be afforded. It's definitely a good entry level location but not an organization to stay at for multiple years.
Pros
Metro cards
Cons
growth
Horrible company!
Facilities Coordinator /Central Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Hughson CAOctober 3, 2015
Benefits are horrible, management does not respect the employees. Coworkers were great but management did not like that. Current CEO plays games with employees. Low wages for housekeepers!
great bennefits
SECURITY GUARD (Current Employee) –  Ellenville, NYJune 30, 2015
it has wonderful benefits. health , dental , vision , 403b retirement , life insurance and lots of other benefits that I don't even take advantage of
Pros
insurance, over time
Cons
always short staffed
good place to work
Custodial Supervisor /Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 18, 2015
Very productive and fun work place with team building skills that you can keep with you. family orientated workplace. people care about each other.
Pros
good people
Cons
exhilirating, challenging work place with new clients daily.
Residential Aide (Former Employee) –  east 53rd st. New York,N.Y.June 15, 2015
The company works on a shoe string budget and I found myself multi-tasking too often. the upside is the comp time and room for advancement.
Pros
free lunches.
Cons
health care
Productive and straight forward workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  NYMay 22, 2015
Working as a Human Resource/Recruiting Intern was very informative. I learned how to organize an HR folder and file paperwork. The management team was friendly, but distant for sure because of their workload. My co-workers were also very friendly and a bit closer to reach and communicate with verbally. The hardest part of my job I'd say was the long hours I had to spend sitting in my chair while I was working. The most enjoyable part however was being able to communicate with people from all different works of life.
Pros
Being included events such as Baby Showers for women on the job.
Cons
Short Breaks
fun and adventures
maintenance/porter (Former Employee) –  New YorkMay 5, 2015
It sound like job security with good benefits. And a place to that has job growth. Also where people care for each other where one can counted on help from a friend it Saunders as a good place to work.
Pros
job stability
Cons
good insurance
I gave it a three stars.
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 20, 2015
Samaritan Village is like a stepping stone and the company will give you the opportunity to leave new skills. Although it does not pay a lot.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Samaritan Village. Our community is ready to answer.