Samaritan Village Employee Reviews

Team Oriented
Case Manager, Veterans Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2017
Worked closely with veterans to help them find housing, benefits or any other needs they might have. I learned that homelessness can affect any of us, and it doesnt take much to be in that situation,
very interesting enviroment in terms of helping others achieve what needs to be achieve in order to assist in the growth and development.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 22, 2017
Having the ability to work in fast paced enviroments in addition to communicate as a team member among staff. handling many multi-task responsiblilties for the betterment of the clients substance abuse dilemma. Correlating and interacting with co-workers to assist clients for out reach upon release of the therapeutic milieu to slowly enter back into society as a proletariat.
Pros
able to socialize with others employees coming together to help clients achive their full potential.
productivity in placing clients to other programs and placing the homeless
OUTREACH COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  All boroughsMarch 12, 2017
Worked there for a short time. Program and requirements were very informative. Placement of clients and trainings of different modalities and the homeless environment.
Pros
Cons
No breaks
Exciting Workplace
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 21, 2017
I love working for Samaritan Village overall the culture is really awesome. the hardest part of the job is not being able to help some clients. The management team is awesome they help you out in every need possible. The part that is most joy able are the clients, The privilege of me knowing I made a difference in someone's life.
Pros
The day goes fast
Cons
short breaks
Very Bad Place To Work
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2017
All they really care was about home many clients they can get in was all about the $$$$$ at time you had staff being attacked and nothing was done.
Pros
Cons
Pay
One can easily be stuck/stagnate while employed there
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 6, 2017
Policies changed frequently because due being under the Department of Homeless Services. Sometimes management is inept of their duties as well as line staff duties and responsibilities.
great place to work with many oppertunities to change someone's life
Department Head of Inventory/Food Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 6, 2017
a fulfilling job with good management and caring co-workers who found fulfillment in helping others. hardest part was getting use to 100plus different personalities, backgrounds, morals, beliefs, and issues on a daily basis. the easy part was understanding and being able to treat people with human kindness and respect regardless of background and beliefs and getting the chance to help others and change some lives.
Pros
good staff and the satisfaction of helping and serving others.
Cons
getting use to dealing with 100plus different personalitiesand behaviors on a daily basis
your experience depends on your co workers
Residential Aide (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 5, 2017
A typical day is pretty stress free depending on your temperament. one thing i have learned is patients, office politics
Pros
sick days no micro managing light work load
Cons
unpredictable clientele, job instructions can be un clear depending on your site, travel time depending where you live
Very productive workplace with room for growth
House Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2017
I enjoy working at Samaritan Village, I love what we stand for, and the work we do as a team to help people in need in our community.
Confusing place to work with no advancement
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 18, 2016
Worked in the outpatient setting where there was no guidance at all. The team i worked with is amazing. Company has Low pay rates and does not recognize degrees or CASAC certification. Human Resource is pretty horrible and very hard to reach. I would not recommended anyone to work for this company.
Pros
Worked with great people
Cons
Low pay rates
geat for entry level
Helper (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, NYNovember 16, 2016
great work environment and very easy going staff. my learning experience at samaritan village was an amazing one. it is perfect for an entry level employee starting out.
Productive and meaningful buisness.
Supervisor over Security (Former Employee) –  Ellenville, NYNovember 16, 2016
Recovery from addiction means having peace of mind with oneself and others. Samaritan Village offers evidence-based residential and outpatient treatment, detoxification, mental health services, and on-site medical care for men and women struggling with substance abuse, and guides them to the road to recovery. Every moment that was spent helping or guiding someone; left me feeling complete at the end of the day.
Pros
Helping people in need
Cons
Gossip
Great Work Enviroment
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Hughson, CANovember 5, 2016
My experience at Samaritan Village was great. Very professional and efficient.Staff shows excellent team work, also all departments truely care about all residents.
Excellent Agency
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 16, 2016
Amazing opportunity for growth, great leadership, perfect place to learn not for profit culture. 5 years in I've learned and ground more than any previous employer. Have assisted me with many trimmings and skills to further my career.
Excellent opportunity to gain entry level Food service skills
Senior Cook, supervisor (Current Employee) –  Jamaica NYOctober 13, 2016
Was a great experience and humbling. Gave me a very good opportunity to gain alot of the entry level experience I will need going forward and further in this field. I was able to experience, as well as utilize, a wide spectrum of my individual skill set, in a way that allowed me to bring a refreshing and new level of pride and quality to the job.
Pros
Freedom as well as creativity to the actual preparation of the foods served
Cons
Wasn't the most desired atmosphere in which to work
Like team I was working with
Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 4, 2016
Hard work cooking for 150 people good job to have if u love to feed people. Long hours if u r a people this is a good job to have. Also there different jobs u can have.
Pros
Feeding people
Cons
Attiude
Productive environment.
Substance Abuse Counselor II (Former Employee) –  138-02 Queens BoulervardSeptember 28, 2016
I enjoyed going to work 1 hr before and get ready to run my relapse prevention group. I enjoyed the environment and interacting with clients and co-workers also communicating with any legal mandates, Parole, Probation, A.C.S. cases,D.U.I.involvements.
Everyone got along fine during case conference. The hardest and most difficult part I believe would be on discharging a client for negative reasons. Setting boundaries is sometimes difficult in the early stages of my employment
Pros
Free lunches given at noon.
Cons
Short breaks.
had pros but ultimately cons caused me to leave
Resident Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hughson, CASeptember 25, 2016
it wasnt a bad place to work out but the person who was in charge of scheduling did not do a great job and do to way to many manditory doubles and no one willing to do coverage i ultimately left do to the poor work/home balance
There are areas we could all improve.
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York City, NYSeptember 25, 2016
Each day does not present with the same plan, despite trying to structure a calendar. Staff family oriented.

I've been there almost 5 years and the agency itself is going through a change. With change administration must always be prepared.
Pros
Family oriented dedicated staff
Cons
set up of physical plant (space)
Ok company
Driver/Operations (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 16, 2016
Not for people without an heart its a real eye opener to people who have never been homeless new program director is cold hearted good thing she is only at one site but it overall fair

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Samaritan Village. Our community is ready to answer.