Samaritas Employee Reviews

Don't go to any of their facilities! It's not worth it!
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bloomfield Hills, MISeptember 13, 2017
The pay is very low for what you are expected to do, no raises when promised to you, if you get one it's very low, in the 10-20cents range. Management is not supportive, staffing sucks to the point that they can't even terminate employees that don't show/or late on a regular basis.. Unpaid lunch breaks if you're lucky to get one. The place is very on organized, outdated , work life balance sucks due to poor staffing. They advertise things they don't have like electronic medical records when in fact very thing is done on paper every department their is understaffed, no policies in place what so ever. Please consider working somewhere else, you will just be wasting your time and will need to work a second job do to low pay.
Pros
You will be hired on the spot, they are desperate for help and hire anyone that applies
Cons
Every thing, You have been warned!
I would NOT recommend working here.
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 13, 2017
Management does not listen to its employees, concerns have been pointed out many times and nothing has changed. The discipline is a joke. It is a toxic place to work, employees are pitted against each other, tattling is encouraged.
Cons
No communication what so ever with management
Child welfare organization
Employee (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIAugust 12, 2017
Hard work. Supportive team. Has many departments. There are opportunities to promote in the organization. There are different offices at different locations.
September 11, 2017

Thank you for your review. Glad you see that we have many facilities and opportunities throughout the state of Michigan!

September 11, 2017

Thank you for your review. We know the work is hard however there are wonderful rewards as well for doing this kind of work.

Not a great place to work
HHA/SSA (Former Employee) –  Monroe, MIAugust 9, 2017
Management is horrible! Not friendly people to work for, Company Sucks, very on organized, pay is VERY BAD, some of the people are nice that work there. Will never work there again or tell anyone to go work there. Very bad Communication with supervisor,boss, anybody in the office.
Pros
Some people are nice.
Cons
Bad pay, bad management, bad Communication
Quick paced, but also slow paced, depending on the hours.
Resident Aide (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 31, 2017
I believe this is a great place to work at if you are interested in the health field. Most of your coworkers are great to work with. Your never alone, there are usually 3 coworkers on your floor at all times and the residents are great company.
September 11, 2017

Thank you for your comments. We are always trying to improve so we are hoping are efforts are working!

Can be better management is trying
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 25, 2017
Out with the old in with the new they are trying to get it back together pay is good benefits are good management has a lot to work on the building and the environment
Pros
Pay benefits
Cons
Staff
Productive and an Amazing work culture.
Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 17, 2017
Great place to work. The Mgmt there really stands by their employees Fast pace and you're thrown in almost immediately, but that's also exhilarating.
Pros
Great learning environment. Ability to succeed if you're motivated.
Cons
Compensation isn't the best
September 11, 2017

Thank you for your comments as we continue to evolve with new and exciting programs!

The job was just that a job
Resident Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIJuly 13, 2017
The job was okay if all you wanted to do was collect a paycheck. You work very hard for your money and get little to no respect. I would never woerk their again.
September 11, 2017

Thank you for your comments. We agree that being a caregiver is one of the most difficult roles but also very gratifying/rewarding as well.

Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIJuly 10, 2017
Great place to work, great team mates, helpful staff, awesome kids, lots of deadlines, low pay for the amount of responsibility, awesome vacation time offered.
good place to get started
FOSTER CARE CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 6, 2017
Lutheran Social Servicesis a good place to work if you are just starting out and wanting to gain the experience of becoming a Social Worker working with Youth and Families.
Pros
flexible
Cons
Over worked less pay
Doing same thing day in and day out!
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 2, 2017
Be ready to do the same thing day in and day out. Always having to pass meds out and you don't even really get a chance to,work with the residents. Nurse manager usually gone when you arrive to work so getting questions asked is usually rare. Pay rate is terrible for the work you do. If you're passing out meds you should make more as residents' lives are in your hands. I liked working here in the beginning,but then they threw me into something that was new to me and I wasn't even there a month.
Pros
Every other weekend off
Cons
Always short-staffed
Samaritas deserves a chance of stability for a brighter future.
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cadillac, MIJune 6, 2017
The home overall is nice, clean and some staff are warm and friendly. Some staff seem burned out, complains without a thought of other people listening. Management say they strive for stability but it seems like the turn over is still high. Orientation needs some work and training time should be extended a little longer. This place could stand a chance if the staff stabilized and people focused on giving care instead of who is working harder or not as hard. The most enjoyable part of the job is the residents and some of the families.The hardest part is lack of communication. At the end of the day, hard work, having a purpose and knowing I provided good care to the residents is what makes it rewarding for me. Give Samaritas a chance!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Lack of communication and burned out employees
productive
Housing Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Westland, MIMay 30, 2017
Very nice place to work and grow, Pay is competitive, work environment is balanced: meaning at times it can be very stressful and at times very relaxing. work environment not bad, co-workers are great and at times some can be helpful/
Pros
great work environment
Cons
limited
June 6, 2017

Thank you for your comments. We are always looking to find what is working well and what needs more focus.

Enjoying working with people from all walks of life.
ILC (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 19, 2017
A typical day for me is to be out in the field working with youth helping them prepare for the next step which is Independent Living. The most enjoyable part of my job is to learn from other cultures, to realize that even though two people might be from the same country if they're from a different region, they do things differently. They're unique in their own way. I've learned that no matter how tired you may be, the youth we work with will have something to say to make your day.
Pros
Fun people to work with, coworkers, bosses, etc.
Cons
low pay scale due to our private agency label.
June 6, 2017

Thank you for your comments.....we know that it is hard work with little appreciation at times but very rewarding to those we serve and when we get feedback from those we serve.

Productive atmosphere!
Support Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIMay 19, 2017
As a supervisor I continue to feel supported throughout the company. I work with wonderful staff and support them the best that I can. I really enjoy the time that I get to spend with clients and having the opportunity to be a part of their lives.
Pros
Flexible Scheule, great supervisor, opportunites to grow
June 6, 2017

Fantastic! That is great to hear. We rely on great supervisors and leaders such as you to help those we serve.

Hostile work environment
Behavioral Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 10, 2017
Very unprofessional. Got in trouble for questioning a practice that potentially could violate a client's rights. Have to watch your back because tattling on each other is encouraged.

Training consisted of someone telling you how to do something over the phone. You will get wrote up if you miss something and have to ask a question.
Pros
I like helping kids
Cons
Training was bad.
June 6, 2017

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear that you had a bad experience as we are continually striving to be a more open organization and have really been focusing on increased training methods.

One of the top non profit companies in Michigan
Foster Care Social Worker (Current Employee) –  MichiganMay 9, 2017
Having worked at many companies over the years I can say that Samaritas lives out their values. They work hard to provide quality service to their customers.

They care about their employees. Pay is comparable to many companies in its field. Communcation and collaboration are encouraged. No workplace is ever perfect, however, Samaritas does value both their customers and employees on a daily basis.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, PTO time, 403b, Career pathing/advancement
Cons
Benefits could be better....middle of the road.
September 11, 2017

Thank you so much for your review. As we continue to evolve it is helpful to hear what our current employees think.

Great place to work! They really care about the people that live here
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 5, 2017
They do a lot for employees to help you succeed. Feels more like family than team members. The people that live here smile and you know they feel cared for.
Pros
Free lunch and ice cream
Cons
Very busy at times
June 6, 2017

Thank you for your comments. We are very open to hearing from employees and get many new ideas from our current staff. Thank you for being a part of the progression at Samaritas!

Great place to work, learn, and grow in your career.
current employee (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 25, 2017
Samaritas is a very large provider of highly diverse services so there is ample opportunity to learn and grow within the organization. It is a great place to work with highly skilled staff who are comitted to making a difference. There are many staff within the organization who began in "direct care" roles and have moved up through the organization to senior leadership so there is evidence of opportunities to learn, grow, and advance within your career. It also helps since the senior leaders have a greater understanding of what the direct care/line staff are experiencing since they have been in those roles, often within the organization.
June 6, 2017

Thank you for providing a greater insight into your experiences with Samaritas. We are always looking to improve and evolve.

Health benefits, and pay was terrible
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIApril 24, 2017
Working as direct care employee I felt I was over worked by management. Working a lot of double shifts. Health benefits were terrible, and no incentive raises from company. Staff wouldn't show up on their shifts when assigned. Management wouldn't do any corruptive action. Employees sleeping on their job, and no teamwork when it came to consumer's outtings. No diversity from home care manager. Staff wouldn't follow menu for consumer's.
Pros
PLP time was good
Cons
Health Benefits terrible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Samaritas. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7