Samtec Employee Reviews

Family Owned Business with Corporate Structure
Technical Marketing Engineer (Current Employee) –  New Albany, INApril 1, 2017
At Samtec, you get a nice mixture of both the comfort of a family owned business with the structure of a corporate environment. The culture at Samtec is what makes it unique and allows such a combination to succeed. Based on our Sudden Service business model and dedication to our customers is what has allowed us to grow to over $670 million.

Working in Technical Marketing is a rewarding position as I get to wear many hats and learn and contribute to Sales, Engineering, Product Management, and Marketing all at once.
Pros
atmosphere, opportunities for expansion, challenging environment
Cons
culture hard to read at times, semi-corporate structure
Loved this place
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  New Albany, INMarch 9, 2017
The hours were great and the co-workers are fun to be around. The company really cares about their employees and it's like everyone there is just one big family.
Good Place to work if you are family or friends with upper management especially HR Mgr
Manager (Former Employee) –  New Albany, INJanuary 31, 2017
Worked there for many years. No room for advancement unless you are friends or family with upper management, especially HR Manager. Rules and policies don't apply to all. Cases of drinking and harassment not enforced for upper management or their relatives. Everyone else terminated with extreme prejudice. Bonuses are supposed to be based on performance but are really based on very subjective measures. I was in a management position and I know it was a joke. Favoritism at the very least. Stay far away!!!
Pros
Clean work environment
Cons
Extreme nepotism.
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Scottsburg, INNovember 22, 2016
Caring people, easy to get along with, enjoy the day. After the birth of my son worked with me to move to a shift that I needed to care for him. Not every company would do that.
Toxic workplace environment!
Laborer (Current Employee) –  New Albany, INJuly 8, 2016
Good company to work for if you have already worked for the company for over a decade, are related to someone of importance within the company or you or your child attend or have attended the right school; otherwise you are considered the lowest of the low. One employee will repeatedly be allowed to stand around and talk all day while the person right next to them has a workload larger than their workday will allow. Management is ineffectual, lackadaisical, and yet infallible; but you as an employee are only as good as your last mistake, which will happen since training is inconsistent and minimal to non-existent for new hires.
Pros
The pay
Cons
Very, VERY toxic work environment!
Horrible environment with no place for advancement and individuality
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  New Albany, INApril 18, 2016
Not a good place to work, if you want to move up or be treated like a human do not work in the lab. The atmosphere is horrible and the technicians are at each other throats. Management is horrible and you will not advance.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Good ol boys club and Women do not advance unless related to HR or Hierarchy
production (Current Employee) –  New Albany, INJanuary 8, 2016
I choose to get a job at Samtec b/c I was told they hire from within. Yet all the jobs were going to new college grads of family members of long time vested employees. If you don't have a male body part forget about chances of advancement. I've learned that getting a job there was a huge mistake, now I'm stuck because I'm going to have to go back to school because my college is now useless because I haven't used it in my time there.
Benefits
Cons
favoritism, 3 weeks vacation tops
No Diversity
Assembly (Current Employee) –  New Albany, InOctober 13, 2015
Dead in job, no room for advancement.
Everyone is related so they get all the good position that come open.
HR is no help cause they are the ones that make these decisions.
Poor attitudes and unorganized
They let you know you can and will be replaced if you disagree with any thing they say.
They don't care how many years you've worked for them they will terminate you with out cause.
They have little diversity and they like it that way I was told.
Pros
Health ins
Cons
Favoritism
Stay away
FAE (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 22, 2014
This company rotates sales people like cattle. Reminds me of the insurance industry. It's a sweat shop job in a neck tie. Management is bad, nepotism is rapid, not open minded, typical "good-ol-boy" syndrome, very bad place to work if you're in sales. Plus the way they pay is a joke, half your salary is paid twice a year! Run, Run, Run to your Molex or TE HR for their application!!!! Good luck suckers!
Pros
I got a free jacket once!
Cons
Very employee supportive, if sometimes a little disorganized
Vertex Operator/Quality Control (Former Employee) –  New Albany, INMay 9, 2014
I never felt more appreciated as an employee than at Samtec, or more like I could've risen through the ranks if I'd wanted. I was always taken seriously and my ideas were always considered and encouraged. There were a lot of opportunities, and my co-workers were very nice, even if most of them were not in my age group/didn't seem to share many of my interests outside of work, which is okay because I respect people who come to work just to work. My only issue was that it could be a bit disorganized. I'd be told to do something one way and then told to do it a different way the next day, by a different person. On one hand, it's great that the company is so flexible, and for the most part they hired people who could roll with the punches. On the other hand, it was easy to feel jerked around or as if you were set up for a loss, or to blame for being the victim of the manager's mixed messages. However, my dad worked at Ford Motor Company for 30+ years, and from what I've gathered, as far as factory jobs go, you can't do better than Samtec, and some disorganization and crossed wires is to be expected. I would've loved to have stayed on there, but I had been considering a career in teaching and wanted to give it a try before I returned to school. But I was really blessed to work for a company that paid me really great wages, with bonuses, and offered so many benefits and really seemed to care about me and my well-being, and if it had been an industry I was interested working in for the long-term, it would've been a dream workplace environment. While I was there, I learned a lot about  more... machines and teamwork, job training, computers, tools, fixing things - I really enjoyed working with my hands and being practical.  less
Nepotism is king
Manager (Former Employee) –  New AlbanyAugust 12, 2013
If you are ok with working for family try this. Nothing but favoritism for the family members and backstabbing for the rest.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No direction from the "elders"
Poor managment and leadership
Plating (Current Employee) –  New Albany, INJuly 30, 2013
For those of you who want to work here be prepared to deal with favoritism. You will not move up in this company unless you are related to someone important. This company says they are family oriented and they are as long as you are ( in the family). And there is no communication here as what was said in a previous post. The supervisors only look out for the ones they buddy up to and not all of the people they supervise. Everyone here is scared to speak there mind cause if they do they look down on you. They change policies and implement new rules without telling there employees so when you make a mistake they can write you up. Maybe it's just my experience working in this department I don't know but I'm not the only one that works here that sees this stuff. This company would be a good place to work if they treated everyone the same and treated us all fairly
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Favoritism, no opprtunity to advance
Unfair biased company.
Operator (Former Employee) –  New Albany, INMay 2, 2013
My experience at Samtec was bad. The elders that worked there were tied in through family, and I did not feel everyone was treated fairly. I learned very quickly what needed to be done, and went above and beyond what was expected of me to ensure all orders got shipped on time. Often times I got stuck with the "first time build" orders, which ended up taking excessive amounts of time to make due to no prints being available, in turn making my production rate appear much smaller than co-workers that were constantly building the same parts day after day. I felt like I got mistreated, and that a lot of un-needed stress was placed on my shoulders because supervisors weren't understanding of what I was really doing.
Pros
Good pay, benefits.
Cons
Management, ethics, values, culture.
Productive and fun workplace, great atmosphere
Sales/Marketing Internship (Former Employee) –  New Albany, INSeptember 27, 2012
Fun, yet focused coworkers. Great customer support. Management always has communication with associates. Amazing company to work for. If you get a chance here, don't mess it up.
Family oriented with great advancement opportunity
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Albany, INMay 10, 2012
Samtec takes great pride in happy families. I have enjoyed several positions and advancements within the company.
Pros
limited overtime
Cons
like with any company, your job can be gone tomorrow.