JOB REPOSTED JULY 11, 2013.
The Sales Representative at the San Diego Museum of Man is responsible for making group ticket sales for the museum. This includes, but is not limited to, identifying leads, making sales pitches, negotiating terms, closing sales, invoicing customers, and arranging for fulfillment.
The Sales Representative will sell the museum as a destination to school groups at all levels, youth organizations, conference attendees, conference-hosting organizations, tour organizers, bus tour companies, cruise ship lines, professional societies, business fraternities, concierge services, corporate organizations, and other people who may travel together, spend time together, or organize group events.
The Sales Representative is expected to creatively, efficiently, and effectively create and track new customer relationships; to understand the museum and its offerings; to provide excellent and prompt customer service; to work collaboratively with individuals throughout the San Diego Museum of Man to ensure a seamless customer experience; and to meet sales goals.
This is a one year grant-funded position for 20 hours a week at $15/hour. The right candidate will be able to generate enough increased revenue to fund the position in the future.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor's degree in sales or marketing or another business-related field. Relevant and significant equivalent experience will also be considered.
- At least three years of experience in customer service and sales with a proven track record of delivering results.
- Drive and initiative. Be a self-starter or go-getter who can work independently with little direction.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, online and face-to-face.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Creativity, an innovative attitude, and the ability to persuade.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent phone manner.
- Active listening skills a must.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to manage multiple processes and projects.
- Excellent time management skills. Punctuality is essential.
- Collaborative team player.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and general computer use.
- Excellent record-keeping and reporting habits.
- Knowledge of the arts and non-profit environments preferred.
- Familiarity with many facets of San Diego, such as its tourism sector, schools, youth organizations, and social organizations.
- Flexible part-time schedule.
- After an initial training and adjustment period, working remotely may be possible.
APPLYING THROUGH INDEED.COM IS NOT SUFFICIENT. YOU MUST DO ALL OF THE FOLLOWING TO APPLY:
Applicants who do not follow these steps will not be considered and will not receive a reply.
Please email your resume, cover letter, list of three references, salary requirements, and salary history to jobs[at]museumofman.org, replacing [at] with the @ symbol in the address.
Please indicate the job title "Museum Sales Representative" in the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. No phone or in-person inquiries, please.
ABOUT THE SAN DIEGO MUSEUM OF MAN
The San Diego Museum of Man is reinventing itself as a 21st-Century museum with exciting new exhibits that strengthen its role in the community. Its world-class collections and iconic building in the heart of Balboa Park create a perfect place to learn about each other, reflect on our place in the world, and build a better community. If you want to try new things, excel at your work, and reach many thousands of people every year, then join our enthusiastic and adventurous staff.