Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews

Nothing to add.
Information Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sandia, CAFebruary 20, 2018
Nothing to add. Nothing to add. Nothing to add. Does this satisfy the character count. Everything is what you make of it but a professional work environment is paramount.
Pros
Great people, great mission.
Cons
Resistant to some change.
Very Poor Management
Solutions Architect (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 19, 2018
Run. Don't get lured into this low quality of life company and job. The managers are the worst, play favorites and a good ole boy system. So if you are a white, Christian, Male with no ethics this company is for you. If not there is very little diversity and you'll struggle with the white male culture.
Pros
Use to have a Pension--but that is gone for new employees
Good Place to work
P-Card Program Manager/ Sourcing Analyst/ Buyer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 18, 2018
Empowered to perform my job. Worked and collaborated with very capable people. It was a safe work environment where I was able to take on new assignments and was respected.
Professional Workplace
International Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 10, 2018
SNL provides an opportunity to address government contribution to the defense industry. Working here was a pleasure and an honor. I would recommend working here.
Smart people, poor management
Computer Software Engineering Technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 10, 2018
I have been working at sandia labs for 13 years full time

Secure employment and benefits. The only game in town in Albuquerque. Very intelligent work force.

Management hires the best and brightest, but doesn’t effectively manage the workforce. The quality of your work does not seem to matter in terms of career advancement. As a result, cynicism is rampant. The entire organization seems to function as a good old boy network with the chosen few being promoted. As a government institution it is fraught with waste. I firmly believe that if Sandia functioned as a for-profit organization, it would be out of business in less than one year. I highly encourage young engineers to seek employment elsewhere, where the quality of your work has a better chance of being recognized
Pros
intelligent people
Cons
management, lack of advancement
Loved it
Graduate Research Intern, Energy Storage Systems (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 5, 2018
New Mexico is pretty sweet, Sandia is awesome, tons of smart people to work with and the work is fascinating. Science is abundant. Keep in mind that you are going to be entering a military base daily.
Challenging work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 31, 2018
Great work life balance and virtual work benefits. Work is challenging and so are some of the people and ingrained cultural norms. Opportunities for advancement are limited in some fields.
Decent Place to Work
Office Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 21, 2018
Fair wages, benefits package is average. Promotion based on who you know. New management trying to change too much, too fast -- without evaluating why things are currently done the way they are.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Stuck in the past
Amazing people and great place to work
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 20, 2018
Sandia has world class engineering talent and works on amazing technology for the benefit of the United States. As a federally funded research center it is a stable place to work.
Pros
Amazing technology and people
Great Place to Work
Subcontract Professional (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 9, 2018
Many highly motivated individuals. Work-life Balance is a priority. As a Subcontracting Professional I found it difficult to deal with the constant, numerous and often times contradicting policies/procedures established by the plethora of teams involved with procurement.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Retirement, Policy/Bureaucracy
It's OK but.
Principal Project Controller / Project Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 4, 2018
You should be very clear coming in what your job duties will be and what the plans for your career advancement are. They tell you how easy it is to move around, and that's mostly true, but you can't move up very easily.
Good place to engage the scientific process
Undergraduate Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 18, 2017
On a typical day, I would edit documents, collect data in a lab, and work on creating figures. I learned how to edit images for PowerPoint slides, make inferences from data, and communicate and work with others on problems.
Pros
learned a lot
Cons
very quiet
It was a long time ago.
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 14, 2017
I haven't worked for Sandia National Laboratories for more than 20 years so I don't think I can add any kind of valuable comment to this section. Sorry.
Pros
Great coworkers, rewarding and challenging work, job security
Cons
None that I remember.
Great Place to Work At
UX Researcher & Designer Intern (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CADecember 2, 2017
Sandia is a great lab to work at, however, there can be bureaucratic steps that get in the way of progress. The environment is relaxed and professional at the same time.
Only succeed if you know how to work the system
Senior Technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 25, 2017
Worked with several PHDs and some techs. If you manipulate the system and have no character you can have a laid back easy job.

If you actually care about the way you are viewed and care about the product that you put your name on, Sandia isn't for you. Bunch of people work here that milk the system for all it's worth and most of em are liars that make well over $70k a year.

Couldn't work with a bunch of lazy manipulating co workers so got the heck out of there while I still had my character.
great place to work
Engineering Support Technologist (Current Employee) –  Kirtland AFB, NMNovember 21, 2017
some of the coolest work in the world with the smartest people in the world! there are not a lot of places where you can work with lasers, rocket fuel, vacuum chambers, and supercomputers all in the same week.
Good but not great
Senior Member of Technical Staff - R&D (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 30, 2017
The starting salary seems to be higher than the industry standard, but raises and performance bonuses are much lower.

The work and life balance is really good, and it is a stable work environment. However, this means the company is filled with people who are just putting in their time before they can retire.

The biggest frustration is the overhead and bureaucracy of the company. Work has all the overhead of government, plus the extra rules of being contractor. (Sandia is an FFRDC, and employees are government contractors - not feds.)

Albuquerque is great for outdoor activities and the weather is agreeable. But property crime is really, really high. If you want to move to Albuquerque, look at crime rates and maps, and actually visit locations before signing anything.
Pros
Work and life balance and a low stress environment
Cons
Poor raises, bureaucracy
Many Exciting Opportunities for Changing Jobs
Specialist/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 24, 2017
Was very fortunate that almost wherever there was a need, I was able to transfer into playing or leading roles to produce high quality results and products on projects where the results were highly visible and had significant impact across a specific or multiple business areas.

Most of my managers were very supportive of allowing me access to training and certifications I needed to excel at my job in order to meet and exceed customer expectations.

Before I retired, new leadership had occurred in my area and the role I played was no longer valued given I was sought out to lead a corporate strategic initiative rather than directly aligned with my center's mission. This was reflected in my last two review where I was reviewed among my peers in my center, even though I had received multiple awards for excellence from executive sponsors where I was leading efforts that impacted all the business entities of the laboratory.
Pros
Great Flexibility for Creating Innovative Solutions
Cons
Inconsistency of Management Excellence Across All Business Entities
Amazing Place to Work
Research Intern - Thin Film Ceramics (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 23, 2017
I really enjoyed working at Sandia National Laboratories. The work is challenging but exciting. Management really goes out of their way to help you maintain a good work-life balance.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
pay could be higher, but it's pretty high
Great Company
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 6, 2017
Great company with great benefits and potential for advancement. Educational opportunities and wide range of departments to work within the company allowing to gain experience and knowledge. Competitive salary.
Pros
Advancement, job security, benefits and education reimbursement
Cons
Good ole boy system

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sandia National Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3