Sandia National Laboratories

Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews

Sandia National Labs is an incredible place to work
R&D Computer Science Principle Level Staff Member (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMMay 14, 2015
Working at Sandia National Labs is exciting and cutting edge. I have thoroughly enjoyed the projects I have been involved in. The culture is also outstanding.
productive place to work
Senior R&D Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 24, 2015
Great place to work lots of good people great benefits and compensation. lots of stuff to learn good management good people and facilities. lots of stuff in development
Small pond with too many Big fish
Graduate Professional Student Intern (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMMarch 31, 2015
Pros: On-site gourmet cafeteria, benefits, compensation, wide variety of job areas
Cons: Job Advancement
During my time with Sandia, I functioned as a HR Program Coordinator and Budget Analyst. I was promoted progressively each year in the amount of responsibilities I was given and the complexity of assignments. I learned HR program administration, compensation, employment law, data analytics, and budget management. My co-workers were all very friendly and always available to assist if necessary. I didn't experience any tough situations in my job, other than stressful deadlines, until a change in executive leadership in my last 2 years at Sandia. In this situation, I found myself chasing my tail running report after report on program metrics, none of which lead to some kind of resolution that I am aware of. However, I did thoroughly enjoy my job, I was given a great degree of autonomy even as an intern to complete my assigned tasks as requested. I also had the opportunity to work with senior level managers and members of the engineering staff. Overall, Sandia is a great place to work with the best compensation and benefits in Albuquerque, NM; however, advancement opportunities and annual pay raises are dismal.
Very relavant and people dynamic atmosphere, allows for the mission to get done.
Health Physics (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMMarch 22, 2015
Pros: we allowed the safety and movement of items of high importance
Cons: tweleve hour days could be long.
Security at the national labs was about giving and allowing access to environments. We were the gate keepers and ensured that vaults and secure areas remained so. It involved our communications system that would dispatch to location that were compromised and we would resolve and restore conditions to normal and submit our reports before the end of the day.
A great company to work for.
Administrative Intern (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMMarch 10, 2015
My internship at Sandia Labs was a very rewarding experience. I gained real world experience in a fast paced, challenging environment.
Good Place to work
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMMarch 7, 2015
Pros: interesting work, flexible schedule
Cons: bureaucracy, the city of albuquerque
It's a good place to work.

I was able to collaborate with scientists from a large range of disciplines, and solve problems from many different angles.

A downside is that postdocs aren't always valued high enough. Some people view them as a means to an end, and don't care about their careers enough.
Great benefits and pay but the the Engineering processes are stuck in the past...
CADD Technologist (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: angry people who fight change.
Great benefits and pay but the Engineering processes are stuck in the past. There are a lot of people here just collecting a paycheck and resistant to change...
good work/life balance but lack of prospect
Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Livermore, CAFebruary 10, 2015
I worked as a post-doc in the Livermore site of Sandia. The 9/80 schedule provides good work/life balance, you can have a lot of flexibility for your family. However, I found it disappointing for its lack of prospect in Sandia. It's almost impossible to get a permanent staff position, in the meanwhile, once being here, it is very difficult to continue academic career. In addition, apart from my advisors, there is virtually no one to communicate with for near ideas in research. The research here is quite closed in the sense that there is little exchange with people from outside even though the project I worked was not sensitive.
Productive work
Layout Operator (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Fast paced warehouse work with great benefits! Getting shipments to the right place at the right time for the right cost.
It's alright; could be better
Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMFebruary 2, 2015
This is not your parents' national laboratory; the focus is increasingly on defense and nuclear weapons rather than on basic research. I found this disappointing.

Whatever your work is, the management sometimes get in the way, more than they help.
Supporting our nation and community great sense of pride to be part of
Community Involvement Administrative Support (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 7, 2014
This is a national laboratory supporting our country in many different areas, and I am blessed to be working in the community relations department so I get to see what we give back to our community and be up close and personally involved. Very rewarding job. I am currently looking only for a part time position in order to make a little more money.
Work with the lab
Dispensing Optician, AO Safety (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 1, 2014
I like everything about this job. the company I worked for was very helpful and even the lab employee was very understanding about when I need a day off, the back person was not needed so much.
A good place to work
Material Handler - Driver (Former Employee), Livermore Ca.September 9, 2014
•a typical day at work, very busy place with packages coming in all day.
•what you learned, how to process and deliver packages to various destinations.
•management, cared about there employees, and worked with us sometimes.
•your co-workers, were very pleasant and helpful.
•the hardest part of the job, was trying to keep packages from getting wet in the rain when I was delivering them.
•the most enjoyable part of the job, was working in Livermore California as a truck driver delivery person, and relocating offices to another building.
Working at Sandia
STEM Teacher and Researcher (Former Employee), LivermoreSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: great exposure to the materials science field
Cons: n/a
My internship at Sandia required me to do heavy computer based analysis taken from radiographic images. I mainly used the program IGOR to create my graphs, although excel and MS were used as well. My mentor was fantastic and provided me with great help whenever I had any questions about how to work the programs or the fine details of the experiment.
If you love your work, you'll love your job
Engineer (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: everlasting employment for you
Cons: everlasting employment for the worst imaginable co-worker, poor pay increases
SNL does some of the coolest, most exotic engineering you can think of. If you like the work you are doing, you'll love your job. Pay isn't great--1-2% raises have been typical. Management is trained to 'pass the buck' and not address personnel issues, but instead hand them on to the next unfortunate manager. It is nearly impossible for anyone to get fired, regardless of how incompetent or problematic they are. Corporate structure is very flat--there is not a lot of room for upward movement within the company. If you're a technically minded person who loves engineering, you'll do fine. If you're looking at building a career moving up in a company, SNL is not the place for you.
Overall rewarding and flexible, good people
semi conductor technologist (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMAugust 30, 2014
Pros: work life balance, benifits
Cons: half hour lunch, no breaks
Overall, it is a great place to work. Benefits are great, the people are awesome. My dept is managed horribly. Leadership is poor, Priorities change but are not communicated effectively. I am a technologist and given the amount of PhDs and other engineers there is a definite class system here.
R&D Lab Technologist, Mechanical Inspector . (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMAugust 5, 2014
Pros: close to home, good pay, good benefits.
Cons: no chance of advancement when hired in for your experience and not related schooling
Good place to work for young people fresh out of college with high degrees.
Good
MS SQL Server Developer/BI Developer (Former Employee), Livermore, CAJune 3, 2014
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
outstanding employer
Department Manager (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMMay 16, 2014
see above. great projects and challenges. National Lab environment- toughest projects!
Where the actual smart people work
Temp Tech Staff (Former Employee), AlbuquerqueApril 15, 2014
Pros: technology, expertise, work life balance, fun problems to work on.
Cons: cold war/dod stuffiness.
Forget Google, Microsoft, Apple.
The worlds smartest people work at Sandia. And they dont act like it. I found people relatively egoless but amazingly competent. The vast array of technologies is mind boggling. The expertise at writing code for physical simulation is the best anywhere.
Also the worlds best massively parallel computing center by far.

Now the place is a highly senstive DOD/nuclear weapons lab, so one has to expect a certain amount of weirdness and paranoia in the culture. This is just how such places are. That can work on morale a bit, but was not a huge problem.

Albuquerque? Love it, hate it. A crazy place with a lot to offer as well as a lot to make you flee.

This place is the real thing.

Budget and hiring could be an issue since our government decided to fight a bunch of wars instead of investing in science and technology.

1 2 3 4

About Sandia National Laboratories

About Sandia Sandia National Laboratories is the nation's premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology – Read more

Sandia National Laboratories Photos

Presenting my Student Intern work at the RVR (Robotic Vehicle Range)