Sandia National Laboratories

Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews

Sandia is perhaps the premiere place to work in Albuquerque
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 28, 2016
My typical day can sometimes be hectic but I think this is often the nature of software development. For years, Sandia has been a place where mobility has been encouraged, but over the last several years this has been less so. I have benefited greatly from the ability to move around and work outside my degree, but current leadership has made this more difficult with many on the higher echelons focused too firmly on degree status.

While there is a great deal to like about Sandia; management and culture is oftentimes dysfunctional. Many of the staff are great to work with but there are elements of favoritism and personalities that make getting the job done more difficult. In addition, their focus on degrees and GPAs creates an elite environment where people constantly feel the need to prove themselves and will go to great lengths to do so. I find these facets the hardest part of working there.

The most enjoyable part of the job is there are a lot of great and innovative people who want to achieve great things.
Pros
Salaries, benefits
Cons
Productive, flexible and rewarding work environment
Post Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 16, 2017
I have worked at Sandia as both an intern and post-doc with two different advisors and several mentors. To date it is the most rewarding place that I have worked. From the start, my ideas were listened to and taken seriously. Everyone around me is helpful in the most extreme way. There doesn't seem to be any work place competition even thought the people I work with are extremely successful and motivated. The work schedule is extremely flexible. The only down side is its location in Albuquerque NM.
Pros
benefits, team work, environment
Cons
location
Interesting work
R&D Laboratory Support Technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 8, 2016
There is actually a ping pong table in the lunch room (given as an example for the review). Sandia National Laboratories has many positives. The work/life balance is great with healthy vacation and the 9/80 schedule where you can get every other Friday off. There is also some incredible science that occurs. They struggle to stay with trends, but that is related to the business and the need for stringent security. Albuquerque is a very reasonable place to live, so your dollar will go far. The job culture depends on the group and does vary considerably. The hardest part may be the trend towards compliance structure (not directly tied with safety) which may or may not be conducive to research. Historically the benefits have made up for other short comings, but the newer trend to tie benefits with a market based model has diminished some of the better attributes of working there.
Great company, hard to advance, strict work schedule
Engineering Technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 22, 2016
Company has great benefits and offers all the training you will need. Strict deadlines, many levels of management, and average communication. Not a bad company to work for if you don't have much of an outside life. Co-workers are good.
Good environment for learning
Internship (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 15, 2016
Was a great place to develop research experience. Cultivated growth of employees and collaboration of ideas to move projects forward. All employees, management, staff and technicians were approachable with asking for help to solve problems.
Pros
Worked with needs of school and adjusting schedule
Cons
none seen
Productive work environment with opportunities for growth in technical, programmatic, and leadership areas
Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CANovember 5, 2016
Sandia National Laboratories is a well respected institution within the nuclear weapon complex as well as in the general science and engineering community. The laboratory is committed to recruiting the best and brightest individuals to carry out its mission and committed to creating solutions to the world's technical problems.
Fine company to work for
Administrative Assistant (OMA) (Former Employee) –  Livermore, caSeptember 19, 2016
Sandia National Laboratories is a fine company to work for. They have wonderful people and staff to work for. The work life balance is key to being employed there.
Great work life balance. Interesting mission. Opportunities to move around.
Project Controller/Program Business Lead (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 10, 2015
The mission of SNL is unique and rewarding. There are many opportunities to learn. Many opportunities to advance. Great people. The company only hires "the best and brightest" which makes for a unique working environment.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
Salary is not competitive in Bay Area
Great Place
Student Technical Intern (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMarch 17, 2017
Great Place to Work and Learn ;) Come for The Science Stay for the Emotional Abuse! You just Have to Love that Scholarship Program and the great Principal Investigators abusing the program!
Great for non-management
Nuclear Quality and Assurance Requirements, Senior (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 2, 2016
For lower level types, it is a great place to work. However, its main reason for being (modernizing and refurbishing the nuclear weapons stockpile) is going to cease in the near future, no matter how many new projects are dreamed up to delay that and keep the money flowing. Sandia is doing its best to expand into other areas of technology, but the looming loss of the weapons is causing a huge amount of stress at the Labs, I believe.
Pros
Rotating Fridays off.
Cons
Nearly everyone needing expensive clearances, even people who will never need (or want) to be exposed to classified information.
Extensive travel / Application configuration
Application Developer / Integration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 2, 2016
TRIRIGA IWMS application configuration. Worked with multiple clients and traveled extensively. Was responsible for application design and meeting face-to-face with clients.
If you love your work, you'll love your job
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 1, 2014
SNL does some of the coolest, most exotic engineering you can think of. If you like the work you are doing, you'll love your job. Pay isn't great--1-2% raises have been typical. Management is trained to 'pass the buck' and not address personnel issues, but instead hand them on to the next unfortunate manager. It is nearly impossible for anyone to get fired, regardless of how incompetent or problematic they are. Corporate structure is very flat--there is not a lot of room for upward movement within the company. If you're a technically minded person who loves engineering, you'll do fine. If you're looking at building a career moving up in a company, SNL is not the place for you.
Pros
Everlasting employment for you
Cons
Everlasting employment for the worst imaginable co-worker, poor pay increases
Challenging work environment
Principal Member of Technical Staff in Statistical (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 4, 2016
Good place to work. A typical day at work consists of meeting with technical experts to consult on projects of interest. My role is to provide expert statistical consulting.
Great experience!
Technical Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 2, 2016
Since I'm from Albuquerque, I felt at home at SNL. I've been on the base since I was a kid and enjoyed finally being apart of the SNL family as an intern.
Veteran Friendly Company
Technical Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 13, 2015
Very established corporation and excellent benefits. Limited opportunities for advancement. It's not what you know but who you know.
Pros
Excellent Benefts
Cons
Not many holidays observed. Limited Advancement
good overall experience
Mechanical Designer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 3, 2016
recommend for just about any job description whether engineering or not. onsite cafeterias, gym and auto maintenance. weather is not too hot or too cold.
Small pond with too many Big fish
Graduate Professional Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 31, 2015
During my time with Sandia, I functioned as a HR Program Coordinator and Budget Analyst. I was promoted progressively each year in the amount of responsibilities I was given and the complexity of assignments. I learned HR program administration, compensation, employment law, data analytics, and budget management. My co-workers were all very friendly and always available to assist if necessary. I didn't experience any tough situations in my job, other than stressful deadlines, until a change in executive leadership in my last 2 years at Sandia. In this situation, I found myself chasing my tail running report after report on program metrics, none of which lead to some kind of resolution that I am aware of. However, I did thoroughly enjoy my job, I was given a great degree of autonomy even as an intern to complete my assigned tasks as requested. I also had the opportunity to work with senior level managers and members of the engineering staff. Overall, Sandia is a great place to work with the best compensation and benefits in Albuquerque, NM; however, advancement opportunities and annual pay raises are dismal.
Pros
On-site gourmet cafeteria, benefits, compensation, wide variety of job areas
Cons
Job Advancement
Fantastic place to work!
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 5, 2016
Sandia is a fantastic place to work. While acclimating to the bureaucracy inherent to working in a government entity is somewhat challenging, everyone is invested in helping you succeed.
Hard work pays off, while the government looks over your shoulder.
Postdoc (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 14, 2012
Excellent work/life balance, salary and benefits. Strong management commitment to workplace equality and openness. Best part of the job is the ability to develop new ideas. Yearly training requirements, limited ability to carry personal electronics and cell phones and weekly time-charging can become tiresome, but that's life.
Overall rewarding and flexible, good people
semi conductor technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 30, 2014
Overall, it is a great place to work. Benefits are great, the people are awesome. My dept is managed horribly. Leadership is poor, Priorities change but are not communicated effectively. I am a technologist and given the amount of PhDs and other engineers there is a definite class system here.
Pros
work life balance, benifits
Cons
half hour lunch, no breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sandia National Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4