Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews in United States

Great company, hard to advance, strict work schedule
Engineering Technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 22, 2016
Company has great benefits and offers all the training you will need. Strict deadlines, many levels of management, and average communication. Not a bad company to work for if you don't have much of an outside life. Co-workers are good.
Great work life balance. Interesting mission. Opportunities to move around.
Project Controller/Program Business Lead (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 10, 2015
The mission of SNL is unique and rewarding. There are many opportunities to learn. Many opportunities to advance. Great people. The company only hires "the best and brightest" which makes for a unique working environment.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
Salary is not competitive in Bay Area
Veteran Friendly Company
Technical Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 13, 2015
Very established corporation and excellent benefits. Limited opportunities for advancement. It's not what you know but who you know.
Pros
Excellent Benefts
Cons
Not many holidays observed. Limited Advancement
A great place to grow, perform a job, and have fun all at the same time!
Electronic Technologist and Radar Technician III (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 9, 2015
Drive out to the remote site and make coffee, then start prepping for the job at hand. I learned tons here...Antennas, RCS, Testing techniques and "why". Management was driven by customer's needs and funding...they did a great job. Co-workers couldn't be beat. They were like family...and not just the few at the range, but the whole department. Scientists with Bachelors, Masters and PhD's were the best Mentors I ever had. The hardest part of the job was in moving all the radar absorber every week or two to set up for the next configuration...but the most enjoyable part was knowing we had all worked as a team, had fun, and got the job done, with good data going out to the customer. This was a place where they assigned you a task, and then let you accomplish it on your own without "Micro-Management".
Pros
Working in a remote site, where we could experience the "wildlife" of the area.
Cons
Moving Absorber Palates on a regular basis.
Lead Programmer/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 15, 2016
This was my first project I managed and I had a lot of support and positive feedback from the engineers I worked with.

This allowed me to implement by version and vision of project management. I had worked with other people that did not have a project management style and that caused a lot of problems.
Pros
Was my own boss and lead on the project
Cons
no cons
Small pond with too many Big fish
Graduate Professional Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 31, 2015
During my time with Sandia, I functioned as a HR Program Coordinator and Budget Analyst. I was promoted progressively each year in the amount of responsibilities I was given and the complexity of assignments. I learned HR program administration, compensation, employment law, data analytics, and budget management. My co-workers were all very friendly and always available to assist if necessary. I didn't experience any tough situations in my job, other than stressful deadlines, until a change in executive leadership in my last 2 years at Sandia. In this situation, I found myself chasing my tail running report after report on program metrics, none of which lead to some kind of resolution that I am aware of. However, I did thoroughly enjoy my job, I was given a great degree of autonomy even as an intern to complete my assigned tasks as requested. I also had the opportunity to work with senior level managers and members of the engineering staff. Overall, Sandia is a great place to work with the best compensation and benefits in Albuquerque, NM; however, advancement opportunities and annual pay raises are dismal.
Pros
On-site gourmet cafeteria, benefits, compensation, wide variety of job areas
Cons
Job Advancement
productive place to work
Senior R&D Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 24, 2015
Great place to work lots of good people great benefits and compensation. lots of stuff to learn good management good people and facilities. lots of stuff in development
If you love your work, you'll love your job
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 1, 2014
SNL does some of the coolest, most exotic engineering you can think of. If you like the work you are doing, you'll love your job. Pay isn't great--1-2% raises have been typical. Management is trained to 'pass the buck' and not address personnel issues, but instead hand them on to the next unfortunate manager. It is nearly impossible for anyone to get fired, regardless of how incompetent or problematic they are. Corporate structure is very flat--there is not a lot of room for upward movement within the company. If you're a technically minded person who loves engineering, you'll do fine. If you're looking at building a career moving up in a company, SNL is not the place for you.
Pros
everlasting employment for you
Cons
everlasting employment for the worst imaginable co-worker, poor pay increases
Challenging and fun
Senior Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 15, 2015
A great environment with many learning opportunities. A great, diverse culture that embraces personal development as well personal wellness.
Perfect place to grow
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 23, 2015
Hardest yet most rewarding job! Challenged everyday with new projects and new ideas. SNL pushes you to your limit. You discover things in yourself you didn't know you are capable of. Overwhelming at times and empowering at other times. Must be dedicated, but will be well worth it. Perfect place to professionally grow and strengthen yourself.
Excellent place to work
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 20, 2015
This is a great place to work. The greatest benefit is that you can change careers over the course of your lifetime and not leave the labs.
Pros
Generally a good work/life balance
Imagery Analyst, Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 17, 2016
I am currently working full time at Sandia and love the job. The problem is that the contract is running out and I have to find other employment.
Great Work Life Balance
Clerical Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 27, 2016
As a student intern, I appreciate being able to make my own schedule. I appreciate how supportive they are with school. I truly believe this is the ideal job for students.
Na
Software Engineer IV (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 8, 2016
SNL is a great place to work. Lots of different things to work on. The hardest part is the security levels you have to be mindful of.
Great benefits and pay but the the Engineering processes are stuck in the past...
CADD Technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 15, 2015
Great benefits and pay but the Engineering processes are stuck in the past. There are a lot of people here just collecting a paycheck and resistant to change...
Pros
pay
Cons
angry people who fight change.
Great company to work for
Purchasing Lead - Principal Buyer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 25, 2015
Sandia is a great company to work for, with a fantastic work life balance, and meaningful work in support of the security of our nation.
Great work, unethical people
FLEET COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 8, 2015
Management does not take responsibility for their actions, and they place blame on their subordinates. The ethics department, OMBUDS, does not help, they simply lend a listening ear. The interns and entry-level employees work the hardest, with little to no appreciation, but the work we got to do was exciting and fun. I would love to further experience some other areas of the Labs, but simply to expand my current knowledge and learn everything that this National Laboratory has to offer and to experience the cutting edge of modern technology.
Pros
Content of work
Cons
Poor management, lack of ethics
good work/life balance but lack of prospect
Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAFebruary 10, 2015
I worked as a post-doc in the Livermore site of Sandia. The 9/80 schedule provides good work/life balance, you can have a lot of flexibility for your family. However, I found it disappointing for its lack of prospect in Sandia. It's almost impossible to get a permanent staff position, in the meanwhile, once being here, it is very difficult to continue academic career. In addition, apart from my advisors, there is virtually no one to communicate with for near ideas in research. The research here is quite closed in the sense that there is little exchange with people from outside even though the project I worked was not sensitive.
Overall rewarding and flexible, good people
semi conductor technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 30, 2014
Overall, it is a great place to work. Benefits are great, the people are awesome. My dept is managed horribly. Leadership is poor, Priorities change but are not communicated effectively. I am a technologist and given the amount of PhDs and other engineers there is a definite class system here.
Pros
work life balance, benifits
Cons
half hour lunch, no breaks
Good company, have been there for a while
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New MexicoAugust 5, 2015
The company is solid, if you are a scientist or engineer its even better! The areas for research and development are revered, and a good place for advancement if you fall in these areas.
Pros
Science is promoted
Cons
administrative staff is not treated very well by scientists and researchers

4.5