Sandia National Laboratories Employee Review

View all Sandia National Laboratories reviews

great part time job.
Intern- Summer Employment Program (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 6, 2013
• Achieved intern position in Lab program awarded to top 10 performers in school. Results: Participated with Nuclear Weapons Engineers group on nuclear weapon design, development, and integration;

Other Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews

Good but not great
Senior Member of Technical Staff - R&D (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 30, 2017
The starting salary seems to be higher than the industry standard, but raises and performance bonuses are much lower.

The work and life balance is really good, and it is a stable work environment. However, this means the company is filled with people who are just putting in their time before they can retire.

The biggest frustration is the overhead and bureaucracy of the company. Work has all the overhead of government, plus the extra rules of being contractor. (Sandia is an FFRDC, and employees are government contractors - not feds.)

Albuquerque is great for outdoor activities and the weather is agreeable. But property crime is really, really high. If you want to move to Albuquerque, look at crime rates and maps, and actually visit locations before signing anything.
Pros
Work and life balance and a low stress environment
Cons
Poor raises, bureaucracy
Many Exciting Opportunities for Changing Jobs
Specialist/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 24, 2017
Was very fortunate that almost wherever there was a need, I was able to transfer into playing or leading roles to produce high quality results and products on projects where the results were highly visible and had significant impact across a specific or multiple business areas.

Most of my managers were very supportive of allowing me access to training and certifications I needed to excel at my job in order to meet and exceed customer expectations.

Before I retired, new leadership had occurred in my area and the role I played was no longer valued given I was sought out to lead a corporate strategic initiative rather than directly aligned with my center's mission. This was reflected in my last two review where I was reviewed among my peers in my center, even though I had received multiple awards for excellence from executive sponsors where I was leading efforts that impacted all the business entities of the laboratory.
Pros
Great Flexibility for Creating Innovative Solutions
Cons
Inconsistency of Management Excellence Across All Business Entities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sandia National Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4