Sandia National Laboratories

Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews in United States

Great company, hard to advance, strict work schedule
Engineering Technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 22, 2016
Company has great benefits and offers all the training you will need. Strict deadlines, many levels of management, and average communication. Not a bad company to work for if you don't have much of an outside life. Co-workers are good.
Great work life balance. Interesting mission. Opportunities to move around.
Project Controller/Program Business Lead (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 10, 2015
The mission of SNL is unique and rewarding. There are many opportunities to learn. Many opportunities to advance. Great people. The company only hires "the best and brightest" which makes for a unique working environment.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
Salary is not competitive in Bay Area
Veteran Friendly Company
Technical Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 13, 2015
Very established corporation and excellent benefits. Limited opportunities for advancement. It's not what you know but who you know.
Pros
Excellent Benefts
Cons
Not many holidays observed. Limited Advancement
Interesting work
R&D Laboratory Support Technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 8, 2016
There is actually a ping pong table in the lunch room (given as an example for the review). Sandia National Laboratories has many positives. The work/life balance is great with healthy vacation and the 9/80 schedule where you can get every other Friday off. There is also some incredible science that occurs. They struggle to stay with trends, but that is related to the business and the need for stringent security. Albuquerque is a very reasonable place to live, so your dollar will go far. The job culture depends on the group and does vary considerably. The hardest part may be the trend towards compliance structure (not directly tied with safety) which may or may not be conducive to research. Historically the benefits have made up for other short comings, but the newer trend to tie benefits with a market based model has diminished some of the better attributes of working there.
A great place to grow, perform a job, and have fun all at the same time!
Electronic Technologist and Radar Technician III (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 9, 2015
Drive out to the remote site and make coffee, then start prepping for the job at hand. I learned tons here...Antennas, RCS, Testing techniques and "why". Management was driven by customer's needs and funding...they did a great job. Co-workers couldn't be beat. They were like family...and not just the few at the range, but the whole department. Scientists with Bachelors, Masters and PhD's were the best Mentors I ever had. The hardest part of the job was in moving all the radar absorber every week or two to set up for the next configuration...but the most enjoyable part was knowing we had all worked as a team, had fun, and got the job done, with good data going out to the customer. This was a place where they assigned you a task, and then let you accomplish it on your own without "Micro-Management".
Pros
Working in a remote site, where we could experience the "wildlife" of the area.
Cons
Moving Absorber Palates on a regular basis.
Lead Programmer/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 15, 2016
This was my first project I managed and I had a lot of support and positive feedback from the engineers I worked with.

This allowed me to implement by version and vision of project management. I had worked with other people that did not have a project management style and that caused a lot of problems.
Pros
Was my own boss and lead on the project
Cons
no cons
Their policy towards contractors stinks
Admin Support (contractor) (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 10, 2016
The people I worked with were very nice and my supervisor was wonderful. I enjoyed the work very much, but it doesn't matter how well you do your job, if you are a contractor, their policy is that you have to leave after 3 years. The policy needs to be done away with.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, pay was good for part-time
Cons
Policy towards contractors
Small pond with too many Big fish
Graduate Professional Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 31, 2015
During my time with Sandia, I functioned as a HR Program Coordinator and Budget Analyst. I was promoted progressively each year in the amount of responsibilities I was given and the complexity of assignments. I learned HR program administration, compensation, employment law, data analytics, and budget management. My co-workers were all very friendly and always available to assist if necessary. I didn't experience any tough situations in my job, other than stressful deadlines, until a change in executive leadership in my last 2 years at Sandia. In this situation, I found myself chasing my tail running report after report on program metrics, none of which lead to some kind of resolution that I am aware of. However, I did thoroughly enjoy my job, I was given a great degree of autonomy even as an intern to complete my assigned tasks as requested. I also had the opportunity to work with senior level managers and members of the engineering staff. Overall, Sandia is a great place to work with the best compensation and benefits in Albuquerque, NM; however, advancement opportunities and annual pay raises are dismal.
Pros
On-site gourmet cafeteria, benefits, compensation, wide variety of job areas
Cons
Job Advancement
If you love your work, you'll love your job
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 1, 2014
SNL does some of the coolest, most exotic engineering you can think of. If you like the work you are doing, you'll love your job. Pay isn't great--1-2% raises have been typical. Management is trained to 'pass the buck' and not address personnel issues, but instead hand them on to the next unfortunate manager. It is nearly impossible for anyone to get fired, regardless of how incompetent or problematic they are. Corporate structure is very flat--there is not a lot of room for upward movement within the company. If you're a technically minded person who loves engineering, you'll do fine. If you're looking at building a career moving up in a company, SNL is not the place for you.
Pros
everlasting employment for you
Cons
everlasting employment for the worst imaginable co-worker, poor pay increases
Stimulation Work Environment
Technical Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 7, 2016
Interesting place to work with many opportunities to learn. Employees are friendly. My work was a mix of CAD/FEA and hands-on fabrication.
Awesome
Electronics Technologist Principle (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 7, 2016
Great place to work for anyone.
Management takes good care of their employees.
Employees are given the ability to grow and gain new skills.
Imagery Analyst, Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 17, 2016
I am currently working full time at Sandia and love the job. The problem is that the contract is running out and I have to find other employment.
productive place to work
Senior R&D Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 24, 2015
Great place to work lots of good people great benefits and compensation. lots of stuff to learn good management good people and facilities. lots of stuff in development
Challenging and fun
Senior Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 15, 2015
A great environment with many learning opportunities. A great, diverse culture that embraces personal development as well personal wellness.
Perfect place to grow
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 23, 2015
Hardest yet most rewarding job! Challenged everyday with new projects and new ideas. SNL pushes you to your limit. You discover things in yourself you didn't know you are capable of. Overwhelming at times and empowering at other times. Must be dedicated, but will be well worth it. Perfect place to professionally grow and strengthen yourself.
Great Work Life Balance
Clerical Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 27, 2016
As a student intern, I appreciate being able to make my own schedule. I appreciate how supportive they are with school. I truly believe this is the ideal job for students.
Na
Software Engineer IV (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 8, 2016
SNL is a great place to work. Lots of different things to work on. The hardest part is the security levels you have to be mindful of.
Overall rewarding and flexible, good people
semi conductor technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 30, 2014
Overall, it is a great place to work. Benefits are great, the people are awesome. My dept is managed horribly. Leadership is poor, Priorities change but are not communicated effectively. I am a technologist and given the amount of PhDs and other engineers there is a definite class system here.
Pros
work life balance, benifits
Cons
half hour lunch, no breaks
Excellent place to work
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 20, 2015
This is a great place to work. The greatest benefit is that you can change careers over the course of your lifetime and not leave the labs.
Pros
Generally a good work/life balance
Great benefits and pay but the the Engineering processes are stuck in the past...
CADD Technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 15, 2015
Great benefits and pay but the Engineering processes are stuck in the past. There are a lot of people here just collecting a paycheck and resistant to change...
Pros
pay
Cons
angry people who fight change.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sandia National Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4