Sandia National Laboratories

Sandia National Laboratories Employer Reviews

R&D Lab Technologist, Mechanical Inspector . (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMAugust 5, 2014
Pros: close to home, good pay, good benefits.
Cons: no chance of advancement when hired in for your experience and not related schooling
Good place to work for young people fresh out of college with high degrees.
Good
MS SQL Server Developer/BI Developer (Former Employee), Livermore, CAJune 3, 2014
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
outstanding employer
Department Manager (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMMay 16, 2014
see above. great projects and challenges. National Lab environment- toughest projects!
Where the actual smart people work
Temp Tech Staff (Former Employee), AlbuquerqueApril 15, 2014
Pros: technology, expertise, work life balance, fun problems to work on.
Cons: cold war/dod stuffiness.
Forget Google, Microsoft, Apple.
The worlds smartest people work at Sandia. And they dont act like it. I found people relatively egoless but amazingly competent. The vast array of technologies is mind boggling. The expertise at writing code for physical simulation is the best anywhere.
Also the worlds best massively parallel computing center by far.

Now – more... the place is a highly senstive DOD/nuclear weapons lab, so one has to expect a certain amount of weirdness and paranoia in the culture. This is just how such places are. That can work on morale a bit, but was not a huge problem.

Albuquerque? Love it, hate it. A crazy place with a lot to offer as well as a lot to make you flee.

This place is the real thing.

Budget and hiring could be an issue since our government decided to fight a bunch of wars instead of investing in science and technology. – less
Environmental and Hazardous Waste Management
Principal Technologist (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 9, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers and customers. get to help customers with waste management needs
Cons: being audited by the new mexico environmental department
Lots of interaction with technical professionals. Involved with very interesting engineering projects. Friendly work environment.

Review work plans for environmental and waste management, regulatory and recycling opportunities orally and in writting. Communicate environmental requirements to customers. Give guidance in use of waste management computer – more... system.

Enjoy working with engineers. Hardest part of job is researching complex Federal environmental regulations. – less
Was a fun company. Government contractor
Government Contractor (Former Employee), albuquerque, NMApril 5, 2014
Worked on all payroll issues with employees, management and HR department. Fun company, family owned.
Production work with incredible pressure
Senior Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMMarch 16, 2014
Martin Marietta was a great learning environment. It was also a contract industry for the USPS. The add-on contract was awarded to a different company.
I had some great team mates.
Help Desk Specialist/Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: very interesting work.
Cons: very restricted work environment.
The best part was meeting people. I would go into an office and as I was loading a program or scanning the desktop computer, I would look around for something personal like pictures of their family or hobby. I would then start up a conversation. It turned out that some of the users, who came across as abrupt or aloof could be friendly. I had many opportunities – more... to use my enjoyment of public speaking and give workshops. – less
Challenging working environment with great people to work with.
System Engineer and Reactor Operator (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMFebruary 20, 2014
This is a high visibility, highly regulated operating environment. Various opportunities to integrate and modify experimental and mission critical equipment.
Relaxed but productive environment
Intern (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMFebruary 5, 2014
Highly enjoyed interning there. Met with some of the top scientists in the country and experts in the field.
Great work culture
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: good work/life balance, interesting work
Cons: rapid advancement is almost impossible
Most places at the labs are fantastic. The flexibility to move between careers and disciplines is unique. Management in my experience has been fantastic in facilitating employee growth.
Excellent company to work for
Graduate Year Round Student Internship (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: 9/80 schedule, co-workers, gym on site, fitness classes, cafeteria
Cons: compensation
Sandia is an amazing place to work. The company cares about it's employees and the work/life balance is incomparable.
not a great palsce to work
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMDecember 21, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
management is horrible great hours, ok benefits co workers talk about everyone and everything.
great part time job.
Intern- Summer Employment Program (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMDecember 6, 2013
• Achieved intern position in Lab program awarded to top 10 performers in school. Results: Participated with Nuclear Weapons Engineers group on nuclear weapon design, development, and integration;
Participated on experiment
Graduate Student Research Assistant (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMNovember 20, 2013
I spent two weeks participating on an experiment. The laboratory has many facilities and opportunities for graduate students in science to collaborate on experiments.
Hard Problems with excellent work-life balance in the desert
Graduate Student Intern (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMNovember 13, 2013
I spend half my day in the lab running experiments, and the other half developing models, analyzing data, writing papers and improving device designs.

If you can get in (3.5 GPA requirement is arbitrary and excludes a lot of smart gifted engineers) this is a great place to work. They work hard to protect Sandians, and keep interesting problems and – more... work heading their way. At the MST level and above I have not met anyone who didn't deserve to work there.

The hardest part would be the fact that the most stable jobs/resources are in the weapons area. US citizenship and a DOE clearance open most doors, and for most areas it is hard to get any work done without both.

The most enjoyable part is being able to work with subject matter experts in a wide range of fields all in one place. – less
Good job, decent benefits
Trades 1 (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 25, 2013
Pros: lots of celebrations
Cons: weak management
The work life balance is great, and that is probably the only good thing about this company. Management is poor and plays favorties, co-workers are ok, but are known to back stab. The hardest part of my job was staying awake, the most enjoyable part was clocking out!
educational, fun, exciting place to work.
Traffic Analyst (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 16, 2013
Pros: awards for good work, pot luck lunches
I have had several jobs at Sandia, Security- checking all badges of incoming employees, Securing bldgs at the end of the day. Custiodial- cleaning several buildings, trash removal, floor mopping, shipping and receiving- receiving incoming shipments and arrangement them to move to respective parties, In shipping coordinating all outbound shipments. I – more... was a classified administrative staff responsible for all material, Management was very helpful to work with. Always helped you try to improve yourself. Co-workers brought different knowledge to the table. I never had a job that I didn't like. I go in with a positive attitude. – less
Very good research environments.
Summer Intern (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 14, 2013
Very good research environments, many smart and nice people.
Sandia National Laboratories Review
Project Controls Engineer (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 14, 2013
Pros: people, culture, resources.
Cons: inability to access certain areas.
∙ A typical day at work
A typical day at work consisted of meeting with co-workers, discussing projects, financial budgets for each project, projecting out to FY18 for project budgets, scheduling for the particular project and how this could affect other projects that could potentially conflict with the schedule, etc.
∙ What you learned
I learned about – more... Lean Six Sigma (underwent Overview, and was taking courses for Green Belt), started the Project Management Professional Certification process, learned about Excel PivotTables, Excel PowerPivotTables, budget planning, budget forecasting, etc.
∙ Management
Managed 2 engineering schedules involving the Semiconductor Fabrication Plant at Sandia National Laboratories. These two particular schedules worked in conjunction with one another to create semiconductor products used for the defense of the nation's nuclear stockpile.
∙ Your co-workers
My co-workers were great, and were very helpful at each point in the management/engineering/scheduling process.
∙ The hardest part of the job
The hardest part of the job involved the direct, vis a vis communication with co-workers due mainly in part to the fact that I had not received my security clearance from the Department of Energy. This would have enabled me to approach someone immediately instead of having to wait for an email or an Instant Message to set up a meeting.
∙ The most enjoyable part of the job
The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely interacting with other employees to get the task/project/job done. – less

1 2 3