Sandia National Laboratories

Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews

Sandia is perhaps the premiere place to work in Albuquerque
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 28, 2016
My typical day can sometimes be hectic but I think this is often the nature of software development. For years, Sandia has been a place where mobility has been encouraged, but over the last several years this has been less so. I have benefited greatly from the ability to move around and work outside my degree, but current leadership has made this more difficult with many on the higher echelons focused too firmly on degree status.

While there is a great deal to like about Sandia; management and culture is oftentimes dysfunctional. Many of the staff are great to work with but there are elements of favoritism and personalities that make getting the job done more difficult. In addition, their focus on degrees and GPAs creates an elite environment where people constantly feel the need to prove themselves and will go to great lengths to do so. I find these facets the hardest part of working there.

The most enjoyable part of the job is there are a lot of great and innovative people who want to achieve great things.
Pros
Salaries, benefits
Extensive travel / Application configuration
Application Developer / Integration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 2, 2016
TRIRIGA IWMS application configuration. Worked with multiple clients and traveled extensively. Was responsible for application design and meeting face-to-face with clients.
Productive work environment with opportunities for growth in technical, programmatic, and leadership areas
Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CANovember 5, 2016
Sandia National Laboratories is a well respected institution within the nuclear weapon complex as well as in the general science and engineering community. The laboratory is committed to recruiting the best and brightest individuals to carry out its mission and committed to creating solutions to the world's technical problems.
Challenging work environment
Principal Member of Technical Staff in Statistical (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 4, 2016
Good place to work. A typical day at work consists of meeting with technical experts to consult on projects of interest. My role is to provide expert statistical consulting.
Great experience!
Technical Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 2, 2016
Since I'm from Albuquerque, I felt at home at SNL. I've been on the base since I was a kid and enjoyed finally being apart of the SNL family as an intern.
Good environment for learning
Internship (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 15, 2016
Was a great place to develop research experience. Cultivated growth of employees and collaboration of ideas to move projects forward. All employees, management, staff and technicians were approachable with asking for help to solve problems.
Pros
Worked with needs of school and adjusting schedule
Cons
none seen
good overall experience
Mechanical Designer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 3, 2016
recommend for just about any job description whether engineering or not. onsite cafeterias, gym and auto maintenance. weather is not too hot or too cold.
Fine company to work for
Administrative Assistant (OMA) (Former Employee) –  Livermore, caSeptember 19, 2016
Sandia National Laboratories is a fine company to work for. They have wonderful people and staff to work for. The work life balance is key to being employed there.
Fantastic place to work!
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 5, 2016
Sandia is a fantastic place to work. While acclimating to the bureaucracy inherent to working in a government entity is somewhat challenging, everyone is invested in helping you succeed.
Great for non-management
Nuclear Quality and Assurance Requirements, Senior (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 2, 2016
For lower level types, it is a great place to work. However, its main reason for being (modernizing and refurbishing the nuclear weapons stockpile) is going to cease in the near future, no matter how many new projects are dreamed up to delay that and keep the money flowing. Sandia is doing its best to expand into other areas of technology, but the looming loss of the weapons is causing a huge amount of stress at the Labs, I believe.
Pros
Rotating Fridays off.
Cons
Nearly everyone needing expensive clearances, even people who will never need (or want) to be exposed to classified information.
Awesome
Electronics Technologist Principle (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 7, 2016
Great place to work for anyone.
Management takes good care of their employees.
Employees are given the ability to grow and gain new skills.
Stimulation Work Environment
Technical Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 7, 2016
Interesting place to work with many opportunities to learn. Employees are friendly. My work was a mix of CAD/FEA and hands-on fabrication.
Their policy towards contractors stinks
Admin Support (contractor) (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 10, 2016
The people I worked with were very nice and my supervisor was wonderful. I enjoyed the work very much, but it doesn't matter how well you do your job, if you are a contractor, their policy is that you have to leave after 3 years. The policy needs to be done away with.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, pay was good for part-time
Cons
Policy towards contractors
Interesting work
R&D Laboratory Support Technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 8, 2016
There is actually a ping pong table in the lunch room (given as an example for the review). Sandia National Laboratories has many positives. The work/life balance is great with healthy vacation and the 9/80 schedule where you can get every other Friday off. There is also some incredible science that occurs. They struggle to stay with trends, but that is related to the business and the need for stringent security. Albuquerque is a very reasonable place to live, so your dollar will go far. The job culture depends on the group and does vary considerably. The hardest part may be the trend towards compliance structure (not directly tied with safety) which may or may not be conducive to research. Historically the benefits have made up for other short comings, but the newer trend to tie benefits with a market based model has diminished some of the better attributes of working there.
Imagery Analyst, Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 17, 2016
I am currently working full time at Sandia and love the job. The problem is that the contract is running out and I have to find other employment.
Great company, hard to advance, strict work schedule
Engineering Technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 22, 2016
Company has great benefits and offers all the training you will need. Strict deadlines, many levels of management, and average communication. Not a bad company to work for if you don't have much of an outside life. Co-workers are good.
Lead Programmer/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 15, 2016
This was my first project I managed and I had a lot of support and positive feedback from the engineers I worked with.

This allowed me to implement by version and vision of project management. I had worked with other people that did not have a project management style and that caused a lot of problems.
Pros
Was my own boss and lead on the project
Cons
no cons
Na
Software Engineer IV (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 8, 2016
SNL is a great place to work. Lots of different things to work on. The hardest part is the security levels you have to be mindful of.
Great Work Life Balance
Clerical Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 27, 2016
As a student intern, I appreciate being able to make my own schedule. I appreciate how supportive they are with school. I truly believe this is the ideal job for students.
A great place to grow, perform a job, and have fun all at the same time!
Electronic Technologist and Radar Technician III (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 9, 2015
Drive out to the remote site and make coffee, then start prepping for the job at hand. I learned tons here...Antennas, RCS, Testing techniques and "why". Management was driven by customer's needs and funding...they did a great job. Co-workers couldn't be beat. They were like family...and not just the few at the range, but the whole department. Scientists with Bachelors, Masters and PhD's were the best Mentors I ever had. The hardest part of the job was in moving all the radar absorber every week or two to set up for the next configuration...but the most enjoyable part was knowing we had all worked as a team, had fun, and got the job done, with good data going out to the customer. This was a place where they assigned you a task, and then let you accomplish it on your own without "Micro-Management".
Pros
Working in a remote site, where we could experience the "wildlife" of the area.
Cons
Moving Absorber Palates on a regular basis.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sandia National Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4