Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews

Great Company
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 6, 2017
Great company with great benefits and potential for advancement. Educational opportunities and wide range of departments to work within the company allowing to gain experience and knowledge. Competitive salary.
Pros
Advancement, job security, benefits and education reimbursement
Cons
Good ole boy system
Good balance of work and life
FileNet ECM Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  New Mexico, USAOctober 5, 2017
Sandia Labs had the best work/life balance compared to all my other companies. When at work, it was a complete focus on getting the job done. At the same time when it came to family and/or personal time there was a understanding that family came first. Just make sure you had your responsibilities covered.
Great Place for those who want job security
SIP-R&D Year Round Graduate Design Technician (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 28, 2017
Sandia Labs is a wonderful community and great work environment. It greatly helped me grow as an engineer and in my tech area (TA3) everyone worked great as a team and was willing to work together to get problems solved and the job done correctly and safely. I am proud to be a Sandian Employee, and I have done many cool and great projects.
Pros
Great experience, job security, relax environment (TA3), do really cool stuff
Cons
Can be repetitive
Working at Sandia
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 10, 2017
Sandia is a great place to work and I would recommend it to everyone. The work is very interesting and it has a significant impact on national security.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Raise packages can be on the small side
Paid the bills
Office Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CASeptember 9, 2017
A typical day with lots to do opportunities to learn, management was OK, culture was stressful, paid good..........................................................
Pros
Government
Cons
Government
R&D Senior Member Technical Staff (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CASeptember 5, 2017
There are lots of smart people to work with at Sandia, although a good amount of bureaucracy makes it really tough to be efficient. As a scientist you might be expected to bring in grants to cover your own time. This can be very challenging since the overhead is high: academic or industry partners might shy away to include you in projects due to less time bought for lots of allocated money in a given project.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Need to find the $$$ to cover yourself
Lots of room to grow in a career
Manager, Operations (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 25, 2017
I have worked at Sandia National Laboratories for 24 years and have had the opportunity to transfer to 4 different states. I currently work in the Livermore location and it is a great location with a good work/life balance. The benefits are comparable to other Department of Energy sites but this site is smaller so it is more personable. The cost of living is high for the pay but they do offer alternative work schedules and care about their employees well being.
Pros
Decent benefits and pay. Good people. Can transfer to other locations
Cons
CA site has a high cost of living and a small site so limited growth
Variety of Opportunities and Diverse Set of People
Senior Technical Staff (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 21, 2017
A typical work day consists and designing and developing software and hardware on the computer, then testing it in the lab to see if it meets the original design specifications. There are opportunities to travel for field testing of the systems worked on.

I've learned that environmental testing is very important and not taught often in college courses. Also, when working on a vary diverse and big team understanding different personality types is important for effective communication.

The management style is different compared to other places I've worked. Level 1 managers share the responsibility with their senior manager for bringing in business. In general, the management is fair in their yearly performance evaluations for all of the staff. But, it does help to get involved in a project that helps the business grow or move forward on state of the art technology.

The workplace culture is fine with me. Everyone is respectful but also enjoy joking around from time to time.

The hardest part of the job is when the customer moves up the delivery schedule for a system requiring overtime to meet the deadline.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the diversity of projects that go on. There are plenty of research and development opportunities.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Sometimes have to put in long hours at work.
It was good
Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 14, 2017
Nice Job. I worked for my internship and it ended. You get treated with respect and the work is interesting. I did a lot of work here and it was good. I would recommend.
Product Quality Assurance Technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 8, 2017
All are very positive to work here unless you do not have a degree which they will not promote you as easily. Even if you have a degree and not in that field you still will be considered higher than experience.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Advancement
Probably most stable employer in the area
Human Resources Business Partner Associate (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 1, 2017
Compensation is good for New Mexico. Benefits aren't as great as they once were but still decent. No pension anymore but a good matching portion.

Depending on your job, they may allow you to telecommute part of the time. Some managers are more supportive of this than others. Generous sick benefits/Leaves of Absence. Ability to work 9/80 schedule and take every-other-Friday off.
Pros
9/80 work schedule
Cons
Bureaucracy can be stifling. Resistance to change is present.
Great place
DOE OSGSRP Awardee (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 27, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I was only there temporarily, so I did not have any benefits. Seemed like a great atmosphere for a full time position.
Stable employer with work-life balance encouraged
Subcontract Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 26, 2017
I have been with Sandia National Laboratories nearly five years, and I have enjoyed working with and am proud to refer to myself as a Sandian. Management at Sandia places a heavy emphasis on employee work-life balance, to assure the employee is supported not only at work but also outside the workplace, encouraging extrecurricular activies and spending quality time with family/friends.
Pros
Annual bonuses, annual salary increases, management support of work/life balance
Cons
Decrease annual salary, complete removel of annual bonuses under new management, which took over 01-May-2017
High incident of Nepotism and very poor Management
Subcontract Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 18, 2017
Listen if you have the option to work for Sandia National Labs or someplace else, opt for someplace else. The company as a whole does very interesting and important work in service to the nation however, because of the high incidence of nepotism those who are qualified are usually passed over for promotions so that available positions can be awarded to family members and favored friends.

The high incidence of nepotism has resulted in very high attrition rates among younger employees and older workers. There is blatant disregard legislation designed to protect employee rights; there is systemic incompetence especially as it relates to Management and the administration of employee benefits and protections under the law.

It was hoped that the recent change in the company's ownership would usher in the replacement or reassignment of existing business managers which would have broken up the crony mentality, but they were all kept on in their current roles; so its business as usual!
Pros
Health Care and insurance benefits
Cons
Blantant disregard for EEOC and other labor law requirements
Quiet work environment with good coworkers and resources
Undergraduate Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 10, 2017
I had an overall good experience as an intern at Sandia National Labs. I got to work on interesting projects and had a good mentor.
My coworkers were helpful and good to be around.
Great place to work, limited career advancement
Business Team Lead (DOE "Top Secret" clearance) (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 10, 2017
Working for Sandia was a wonderful experience. The work is highly meaningful, and the scientists that you support are some of the most brilliant people I've ever come to know. The atmosphere is one which demands a "pedigree" in terms of number of degrees achieved and the schools where they were obtained. If you have anything less than a Master's degree on the business side, you're likely to be treated as a secretary or general admin, which can be extremely frustrating. I know the same can be true of engineers; you need a PhD or a Master's degree, or you are extremely limited in your options for advancement. Incredible work/life balance with 9/80 schedules offered, and lots of flexibility in choosing the work you support.
Pros
Flexibility, 9/80 schedule, work/life balance, job security
Cons
Limited job advancement, impossible to fire "bad apples", low salary compared to similar roles outside of Federal government
Work life balance
Acting Deputy Site Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 10, 2017
Good work life balance.
Good technical opportunities.
Diversity of work is great. Culture is totally focused on the national mission, and a sense of country is evident in most employees.
Would reccomend working here.
Student Intern- Clerical (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NM 88220June 27, 2017
Would reccomend working here. It was a great workplace environment as well as great co workers. Was fun to look forward to the potlucks as well as great to work in a relaxed environment.
Productive and fun working people
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 20, 2017
Go working place and team work is very good. Very flexible in schedule especially for me since I am a full time student which allows me to work full time and go to school full time.
Productive and exciting work environment
FINANCIAL ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 11, 2017
Terrific opportunities to learn about various aspects of business everywhere you look. If you want to get involved it's a great, inclusive space to try new things and learn from the nation's best in research and development.
Pros
Amazing benefits, 9/80's
Cons
Can be silos for each department

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sandia National Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4