Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews

It was good
Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 14, 2017
Nice Job. I worked for my internship and it ended. You get treated with respect and the work is interesting. I did a lot of work here and it was good. I would recommend.
Product Quality Assurance Technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 8, 2017
All are very positive to work here unless you do not have a degree which they will not promote you as easily. Even if you have a degree and not in that field you still will be considered higher than experience.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Advancement
Probably most stable employer in the area
Human Resources Business Partner Associate (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 1, 2017
Compensation is good for New Mexico. Benefits aren't as great as they once were but still decent. No pension anymore but a good matching portion.

Depending on your job, they may allow you to telecommute part of the time. Some managers are more supportive of this than others. Generous sick benefits/Leaves of Absence. Ability to work 9/80 schedule and take every-other-Friday off.
Pros
9/80 work schedule
Cons
Bureaucracy can be stifling. Resistance to change is present.
Great place
DOE OSGSRP Awardee (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 27, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I was only there temporarily, so I did not have any benefits. Seemed like a great atmosphere for a full time position.
Stable employer with work-life balance encouraged
Subcontract Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 26, 2017
I have been with Sandia National Laboratories nearly five years, and I have enjoyed working with and am proud to refer to myself as a Sandian. Management at Sandia places a heavy emphasis on employee work-life balance, to assure the employee is supported not only at work but also outside the workplace, encouraging extrecurricular activies and spending quality time with family/friends.
Pros
Annual bonuses, annual salary increases, management support of work/life balance
Cons
Decrease annual salary, complete removel of annual bonuses under new management, which took over 01-May-2017
High incident of Nepotism and very poor Management
Subcontract Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 18, 2017
Listen if you have the option to work for Sandia National Labs or someplace else, opt for someplace else. The company as a whole does very interesting and important work in service to the nation however, because of the high incidence of nepotism those who are qualified are usually passed over for promotions so that available positions can be awarded to family members and favored friends.

The high incidence of nepotism has resulted in very high attrition rates among younger employees and older workers. There is blatant disregard legislation designed to protect employee rights; there is systemic incompetence especially as it relates to Management and the administration of employee benefits and protections under the law.

It was hoped that the recent change in the company's ownership would usher in the replacement or reassignment of existing business managers which would have broken up the crony mentality, but they were all kept on in their current roles; so its business as usual!
Pros
Health Care and insurance benefits
Cons
Blantant disregard for EEOC and other labor law requirements
Quiet work environment with good coworkers and resources
Undergraduate Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 10, 2017
I had an overall good experience as an intern at Sandia National Labs. I got to work on interesting projects and had a good mentor.
My coworkers were helpful and good to be around.
Great place to work, limited career advancement
Business Team Lead (DOE "Top Secret" clearance) (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 10, 2017
Working for Sandia was a wonderful experience. The work is highly meaningful, and the scientists that you support are some of the most brilliant people I've ever come to know. The atmosphere is one which demands a "pedigree" in terms of number of degrees achieved and the schools where they were obtained. If you have anything less than a Master's degree on the business side, you're likely to be treated as a secretary or general admin, which can be extremely frustrating. I know the same can be true of engineers; you need a PhD or a Master's degree, or you are extremely limited in your options for advancement. Incredible work/life balance with 9/80 schedules offered, and lots of flexibility in choosing the work you support.
Pros
Flexibility, 9/80 schedule, work/life balance, job security
Cons
Limited job advancement, impossible to fire "bad apples", low salary compared to similar roles outside of Federal government
Work life balance
Acting Deputy Site Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 10, 2017
Good work life balance.
Good technical opportunities.
Diversity of work is great. Culture is totally focused on the national mission, and a sense of country is evident in most employees.
Would reccomend working here.
Student Intern- Clerical (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NM 88220June 27, 2017
Would reccomend working here. It was a great workplace environment as well as great co workers. Was fun to look forward to the potlucks as well as great to work in a relaxed environment.
Productive and fun working people
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 20, 2017
Go working place and team work is very good. Very flexible in schedule especially for me since I am a full time student which allows me to work full time and go to school full time.
Productive and exciting work environment
FINANCIAL ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 11, 2017
Terrific opportunities to learn about various aspects of business everywhere you look. If you want to get involved it's a great, inclusive space to try new things and learn from the nation's best in research and development.
Pros
Amazing benefits, 9/80's
Cons
Can be silos for each department
Good for steady and stable work envrionment
SOFTWARE SYSTEMS ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 5, 2017
People generally enjoy working here. It's a place where many people spend his/her entire career. There are options for moving around within the company, and trying out different things.
Typical government environment
Senior Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 3, 2017
Work environment is very political because there are no market metrics. The most important thing is how you are viewed, so nobody wants to take any risks. You are coached to keep your head down and collect a paycheck. Over-regulated environment is very stifling. Not a place for people with initiative.
Very secure, great pay, above average benefits, and quite good work life balance
Environmental Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 30, 2017
The labs are a well above average place to work. There is so much going on at such a large complex that there is a lot of variation in work satisfaction. However, the things that stand out is their focus on work life balance, the great pay, and the good benefits.
Pros
Benifits, security, pay, and work life balance.
Cons
N/a
Multiple budget changes affected FTEs.
Office Management Assistant (OMA) (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 10, 2017
Different departments vary in management. I learned a lot in the 14 years but some departments were showing signs of stress due to management coming and going. In two years I was assigned to 6 managers and staff but was initially hired for two managers. This was due to restructuring of departments with staff and manager since Homeland Security was cutting budgets more and more with each year. The workload fell on new staff and doubled for the assistants. Some managers were given a negative incentive to retire before they were ready to ease the upcoming budgets.
Pros
Security and busy work environment
Cons
Budget cuts and negative incentives created problems with staff leaving.
Relaxed but vigilant professional corporate atmosphere
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 8, 2017
Relaxed work atmosphere. Stress largely self-imposed. Over-achievers will be better compensated in private industry. Management primarily concerned with managing business issues to the detriment of managing people/teams/groups. Very strict corporate policies in place with federal oversight to be constantly wary of, otherwise a lack of many standards for optimal workplace efficiency. Promotion opportunities limited to turnover within existing hierarchies.
Pros
low-stress, highly educated workforce, national impact, job security
Cons
benefits package, location, compensation, isolation
Historically great place to work, entering time of transition
PRINCIPAL MEMBER TECHNICAL STAFF-PHYSICS (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 22, 2017
Under prior management, a great place to work. Benefits have degraded over time healthcare/pension. New operator to take over; big uncertainty what will happen.
Pros
good co-workers/interesting work
Cons
healthcare/benefits/new management
Tier 2 Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 19, 2017
I have enjoyed working at Sandia. The compensation and benefits are some of the best in the region, and a high value is placed on education. Since Sandia is a government owned facility, there can be a good deal of bureaucracy, which can make progress hard. The culture at Sandia is very unique because of the diversity of disciplines required for day to day operation of a national lab. Promotion within Sandia usually requires an advanced educational degree, unless you are working in facilities, or logistics departments.
Wonderful Workplace - Intern's Perspective
Business & Communications Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 5, 2017
I interned at Sandia National Laboratories for three years. The work was challenging ( in a good way), and I was always treated with the utmost respect and kindness. My coworkers are some of the smartest and kindest people I know. The pay is excellent and the 9/80 schedule offers great balance and flexibility.
Pros
Competitive pay; Fridays off; Great people; Exciting work
Cons
Location; Communications issues between departments

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sandia National Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4