Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews

Historically great place to work, entering time of transition
PRINCIPAL MEMBER TECHNICAL STAFF-PHYSICS (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 22, 2017
Under prior management, a great place to work. Benefits have degraded over time healthcare/pension. New operator to take over; big uncertainty what will happen.
Pros
good co-workers/interesting work
Cons
healthcare/benefits/new management
Tier 2 Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 19, 2017
I have enjoyed working at Sandia. The compensation and benefits are some of the best in the region, and a high value is placed on education. Since Sandia is a government owned facility, there can be a good deal of bureaucracy, which can make progress hard. The culture at Sandia is very unique because of the diversity of disciplines required for day to day operation of a national lab. Promotion within Sandia usually requires an advanced educational degree, unless you are working in facilities, or logistics departments.
Wonderful Workplace - Intern's Perspective
Business & Communications Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 5, 2017
I interned at Sandia National Laboratories for three years. The work was challenging ( in a good way), and I was always treated with the utmost respect and kindness. My coworkers are some of the smartest and kindest people I know. The pay is excellent and the 9/80 schedule offers great balance and flexibility.
Pros
Competitive pay; Fridays off; Great people; Exciting work
Cons
Location; Communications issues between departments
Very interesting workplace
Mechanical Engineering Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 31, 2017
As a student intern, I was responsible for running problems for the code writers using Sandia's Finite Element Code. I was able to help customers fix their problems by running simple problems using the same constraints.
Excellent company, great benefits, wonderful management
ASA, Tier IV, Administrative Asst. (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 18, 2017
Working at Sandia gave me a sense of pride, as this company strives for excellence. I was able to move around within the organization and learned a variety of job skills. The culture is very laid back and concerned with employee health, safety, and welfare. The hardest part of the job was getting in the gate. The two-weeks during Christmas and New Year every year that the organization closed down was the most enjoyable aspect. This is an excellent company to work for.
Pros
Benefits, salary, safety, work environment
Cons
Difficult security background check
Great Place
Student Technical Intern (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMarch 17, 2017
Great Place to Work and Learn ;) Come for The Science Stay for the Emotional Abuse! You just Have to Love that Scholarship Program and the great Principal Investigators abusing the program!
Productive, flexible and rewarding work environment
Post Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 16, 2017
I have worked at Sandia as both an intern and post-doc with two different advisors and several mentors. To date it is the most rewarding place that I have worked. From the start, my ideas were listened to and taken seriously. Everyone around me is helpful in the most extreme way. There doesn't seem to be any work place competition even thought the people I work with are extremely successful and motivated. The work schedule is extremely flexible. The only down side is its location in Albuquerque NM.
Pros
benefits, team work, environment
Cons
location
Sandia is perhaps the premiere place to work in Albuquerque
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 28, 2016
My typical day can sometimes be hectic but I think this is often the nature of software development. For years, Sandia has been a place where mobility has been encouraged, but over the last several years this has been less so. I have benefited greatly from the ability to move around and work outside my degree, but current leadership has made this more difficult with many on the higher echelons focused too firmly on degree status.

While there is a great deal to like about Sandia; management and culture is oftentimes dysfunctional. Many of the staff are great to work with but there are elements of favoritism and personalities that make getting the job done more difficult. In addition, their focus on degrees and GPAs creates an elite environment where people constantly feel the need to prove themselves and will go to great lengths to do so. I find these facets the hardest part of working there.

The most enjoyable part of the job is there are a lot of great and innovative people who want to achieve great things.
Pros
Salaries, benefits
Extensive travel / Application configuration
Application Developer / Integration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 2, 2016
TRIRIGA IWMS application configuration. Worked with multiple clients and traveled extensively. Was responsible for application design and meeting face-to-face with clients.
Productive work environment with opportunities for growth in technical, programmatic, and leadership areas
Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CANovember 5, 2016
Sandia National Laboratories is a well respected institution within the nuclear weapon complex as well as in the general science and engineering community. The laboratory is committed to recruiting the best and brightest individuals to carry out its mission and committed to creating solutions to the world's technical problems.

Want to know more about Sandia National Laboratories?

Ask a question
Challenging work environment
Principal Member of Technical Staff in Statistical (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 4, 2016
Good place to work. A typical day at work consists of meeting with technical experts to consult on projects of interest. My role is to provide expert statistical consulting.
Great experience!
Technical Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 2, 2016
Since I'm from Albuquerque, I felt at home at SNL. I've been on the base since I was a kid and enjoyed finally being apart of the SNL family as an intern.
Good environment for learning
Internship (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 15, 2016
Was a great place to develop research experience. Cultivated growth of employees and collaboration of ideas to move projects forward. All employees, management, staff and technicians were approachable with asking for help to solve problems.
Pros
Worked with needs of school and adjusting schedule
Cons
none seen
good overall experience
Mechanical Designer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 3, 2016
recommend for just about any job description whether engineering or not. onsite cafeterias, gym and auto maintenance. weather is not too hot or too cold.
Fine company to work for
Administrative Assistant (OMA) (Former Employee) –  Livermore, caSeptember 19, 2016
Sandia National Laboratories is a fine company to work for. They have wonderful people and staff to work for. The work life balance is key to being employed there.
Fantastic place to work!
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 5, 2016
Sandia is a fantastic place to work. While acclimating to the bureaucracy inherent to working in a government entity is somewhat challenging, everyone is invested in helping you succeed.
Great for non-management
Nuclear Quality and Assurance Requirements, Senior (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 2, 2016
For lower level types, it is a great place to work. However, its main reason for being (modernizing and refurbishing the nuclear weapons stockpile) is going to cease in the near future, no matter how many new projects are dreamed up to delay that and keep the money flowing. Sandia is doing its best to expand into other areas of technology, but the looming loss of the weapons is causing a huge amount of stress at the Labs, I believe.
Pros
Rotating Fridays off.
Cons
Nearly everyone needing expensive clearances, even people who will never need (or want) to be exposed to classified information.
Awesome
Electronics Technologist Principle (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 7, 2016
Great place to work for anyone.
Management takes good care of their employees.
Employees are given the ability to grow and gain new skills.
Stimulation Work Environment
Technical Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 7, 2016
Interesting place to work with many opportunities to learn. Employees are friendly. My work was a mix of CAD/FEA and hands-on fabrication.
Their policy towards contractors stinks
Admin Support (contractor) (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 10, 2016
The people I worked with were very nice and my supervisor was wonderful. I enjoyed the work very much, but it doesn't matter how well you do your job, if you are a contractor, their policy is that you have to leave after 3 years. The policy needs to be done away with.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, pay was good for part-time
Cons
Policy towards contractors

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sandia National Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4