Sandia National Laboratories

Sandia National Laboratories Employer Reviews

A good place to work
Material Handler - Driver (Former Employee), Livermore Ca.September 9, 2014
•a typical day at work, very busy place with packages coming in all day.
•what you learned, how to process and deliver packages to various destinations.
•management, cared about there employees, and worked with us sometimes.
•your co-workers, were very pleasant and helpful.
•the hardest part of the job, was trying to keep packages from getting wet in – more... the rain when I was delivering them.
•the most enjoyable part of the job, was working in Livermore California as a truck driver delivery person, and relocating offices to another building. – less
Working at Sandia
STEM Teacher and Researcher (Former Employee), LivermoreSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: great exposure to the materials science field
Cons: n/a
My internship at Sandia required me to do heavy computer based analysis taken from radiographic images. I mainly used the program IGOR to create my graphs, although excel and MS were used as well. My mentor was fantastic and provided me with great help whenever I had any questions about how to work the programs or the fine details of the experiment.
If you love your work, you'll love your job
Engineer (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: everlasting employment for you
Cons: everlasting employment for the worst imaginable co-worker, poor pay increases
SNL does some of the coolest, most exotic engineering you can think of. If you like the work you are doing, you'll love your job. Pay isn't great--1-2% raises have been typical. Management is trained to 'pass the buck' and not address personnel issues, but instead hand them on to the next unfortunate manager. It is nearly impossible for anyone to get – more... fired, regardless of how incompetent or problematic they are. Corporate structure is very flat--there is not a lot of room for upward movement within the company. If you're a technically minded person who loves engineering, you'll do fine. If you're looking at building a career moving up in a company, SNL is not the place for you. – less
Overall rewarding and flexible, good people
semi conductor technologist (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMAugust 30, 2014
Pros: work life balance, benifits
Cons: half hour lunch, no breaks
Overall, it is a great place to work. Benefits are great, the people are awesome. My dept is managed horribly. Leadership is poor, Priorities change but are not communicated effectively. I am a technologist and given the amount of PhDs and other engineers there is a definite class system here.
R&D Lab Technologist, Mechanical Inspector . (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMAugust 5, 2014
Pros: close to home, good pay, good benefits.
Cons: no chance of advancement when hired in for your experience and not related schooling
Good place to work for young people fresh out of college with high degrees.
Good
MS SQL Server Developer/BI Developer (Former Employee), Livermore, CAJune 3, 2014
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
outstanding employer
Department Manager (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMMay 16, 2014
see above. great projects and challenges. National Lab environment- toughest projects!
Where the actual smart people work
Temp Tech Staff (Former Employee), AlbuquerqueApril 15, 2014
Pros: technology, expertise, work life balance, fun problems to work on.
Cons: cold war/dod stuffiness.
Forget Google, Microsoft, Apple.
The worlds smartest people work at Sandia. And they dont act like it. I found people relatively egoless but amazingly competent. The vast array of technologies is mind boggling. The expertise at writing code for physical simulation is the best anywhere.
Also the worlds best massively parallel computing center by far.

Now – more... the place is a highly senstive DOD/nuclear weapons lab, so one has to expect a certain amount of weirdness and paranoia in the culture. This is just how such places are. That can work on morale a bit, but was not a huge problem.

Albuquerque? Love it, hate it. A crazy place with a lot to offer as well as a lot to make you flee.

This place is the real thing.

Budget and hiring could be an issue since our government decided to fight a bunch of wars instead of investing in science and technology. – less
Environmental and Hazardous Waste Management
Principal Technologist (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 9, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers and customers. get to help customers with waste management needs
Cons: being audited by the new mexico environmental department
Lots of interaction with technical professionals. Involved with very interesting engineering projects. Friendly work environment.

Review work plans for environmental and waste management, regulatory and recycling opportunities orally and in writting. Communicate environmental requirements to customers. Give guidance in use of waste management computer – more... system.

Enjoy working with engineers. Hardest part of job is researching complex Federal environmental regulations. – less
Was a fun company. Government contractor
Government Contractor (Former Employee), albuquerque, NMApril 5, 2014
Worked on all payroll issues with employees, management and HR department. Fun company, family owned.
Production work with incredible pressure
Senior Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMMarch 16, 2014
Martin Marietta was a great learning environment. It was also a contract industry for the USPS. The add-on contract was awarded to a different company.
I had some great team mates.
Help Desk Specialist/Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: very interesting work.
Cons: very restricted work environment.
The best part was meeting people. I would go into an office and as I was loading a program or scanning the desktop computer, I would look around for something personal like pictures of their family or hobby. I would then start up a conversation. It turned out that some of the users, who came across as abrupt or aloof could be friendly. I had many opportunities – more... to use my enjoyment of public speaking and give workshops. – less
Challenging working environment with great people to work with.
System Engineer and Reactor Operator (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMFebruary 20, 2014
This is a high visibility, highly regulated operating environment. Various opportunities to integrate and modify experimental and mission critical equipment.
Relaxed but productive environment
Intern (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMFebruary 5, 2014
Highly enjoyed interning there. Met with some of the top scientists in the country and experts in the field.
Great work culture
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: good work/life balance, interesting work
Cons: rapid advancement is almost impossible
Most places at the labs are fantastic. The flexibility to move between careers and disciplines is unique. Management in my experience has been fantastic in facilitating employee growth.
It has been a good and stable employer throughout the years
Distinguished Admin Support Assoc (D-ASA) (Current Employee), Livermore, CAJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: stability, job security, good quality of life
Cons: not many opportunities for advancement in my job category
Over the past 26 years at Sandia, I have worked in numerous departments and have worked my way up the ladder; however, I am now looking at retiring from my employer within the next five years and am looking for a new passion to take me into my retirement.

I've enjoyed my employment here overall and work with many wonderful people. The hardest thing – more... about my job is that I feel that I have exhausted my opportunities for growth here.

I am now looking for a part-time job that I feel passionate about and will turn into my long-term employment after retiring from Sandia. – less
Excellent company to work for
Graduate Year Round Student Internship (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: 9/80 schedule, co-workers, gym on site, fitness classes, cafeteria
Cons: compensation
Sandia is an amazing place to work. The company cares about it's employees and the work/life balance is incomparable.
not a great palsce to work
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMDecember 21, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
management is horrible great hours, ok benefits co workers talk about everyone and everything.
great part time job.
Intern- Summer Employment Program (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMDecember 6, 2013
• Achieved intern position in Lab program awarded to top 10 performers in school. Results: Participated with Nuclear Weapons Engineers group on nuclear weapon design, development, and integration;
Participated on experiment
Graduate Student Research Assistant (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMNovember 20, 2013
I spent two weeks participating on an experiment. The laboratory has many facilities and opportunities for graduate students in science to collaborate on experiments.

1 2 3