Sandia National Laboratories

Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews

Great work, unethical people
FLEET COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 8, 2015
Management does not take responsibility for their actions, and they place blame on their subordinates. The ethics department, OMBUDS, does not help, they simply lend a listening ear. The interns and entry-level employees work the hardest, with little to no appreciation, but the work we got to do was exciting and fun. I would love to further experience some other areas of the Labs, but simply to expand my current knowledge and learn everything that this National Laboratory has to offer and to experience the cutting edge of modern technology.
Pros
Content of work
Cons
Poor management, lack of ethics
Na
Software Engineer IV (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 8, 2016
SNL is a great place to work. Lots of different things to work on. The hardest part is the security levels you have to be mindful of.
Good company, have been there for a while
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New MexicoAugust 5, 2015
The company is solid, if you are a scientist or engineer its even better! The areas for research and development are revered, and a good place for advancement if you fall in these areas.
Pros
Science is promoted
Cons
administrative staff is not treated very well by scientists and researchers
Management Reviews Result in Poor Morale
auditor, analyst, scientist, regulatory compliance (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 24, 2015
In the last five years a Lockheed-Martin five star ranking system penalizes someone in a group for underachievement even if they've met their goals. This may change with new president in 2016
Very relavant and people dynamic atmosphere, allows for the mission to get done.
Health Physics (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 22, 2015
Security at the national labs was about giving and allowing access to environments. We were the gate keepers and ensured that vaults and secure areas remained so. It involved our communications system that would dispatch to location that were compromised and we would resolve and restore conditions to normal and submit our reports before the end of the day.
Pros
We allowed the safety and movement of items of high importance
Cons
Tweleve hour days could be long.
Veteran Friendly Company
Technical Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 13, 2015
Very established corporation and excellent benefits. Limited opportunities for advancement. It's not what you know but who you know.
Pros
Excellent Benefts
Cons
Not many holidays observed. Limited Advancement
Strong Engineering Laboratory
Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Livermore CaliforniaSeptember 21, 2015
Sandia National Laboratories is a the forefront of engineering and cutting edge technologies. Working at Sandia will allow exposure to projects that are specialized and technologies that are exciting and intriguing.
good work/life balance but lack of prospect
Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAFebruary 10, 2015
I worked as a post-doc in the Livermore site of Sandia. The 9/80 schedule provides good work/life balance, you can have a lot of flexibility for your family. However, I found it disappointing for its lack of prospect in Sandia. It's almost impossible to get a permanent staff position, in the meanwhile, once being here, it is very difficult to continue academic career. In addition, apart from my advisors, there is virtually no one to communicate with for near ideas in research. The research here is quite closed in the sense that there is little exchange with people from outside even though the project I worked was not sensitive.
Good Place to work
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 7, 2015
It's a good place to work.

I was able to collaborate with scientists from a large range of disciplines, and solve problems from many different angles.

A downside is that postdocs aren't always valued high enough. Some people view them as a means to an end, and don't care about their careers enough.
Pros
Interesting work, flexible schedule
Cons
Bureaucracy, the city of Albuquerque
A good place to work
Material Handler - Driver (Former Employee) –  Livermore Ca.September 9, 2014
•a typical day at work, very busy place with packages coming in all day.
•what you learned, how to process and deliver packages to various destinations.
•management, cared about there employees, and worked with us sometimes.
•your co-workers, were very pleasant and helpful.
•the hardest part of the job, was trying to keep packages from getting wet in the rain when I was delivering them.
•the most enjoyable part of the job, was working in Livermore California as a truck driver delivery person, and relocating offices to another building.
Supporting our nation and community great sense of pride to be part of
Community Involvement Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 7, 2014
This is a national laboratory supporting our country in many different areas, and I am blessed to be working in the community relations department so I get to see what we give back to our community and be up close and personally involved. Very rewarding job. I am currently looking only for a part time position in order to make a little more money.
Environmental and Hazardous Waste Management
Principal Technologist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 9, 2014
Lots of interaction with technical professionals. Involved with very interesting engineering projects. Friendly work environment.

Review work plans for environmental and waste management, regulatory and recycling opportunities orally and in writting. Communicate environmental requirements to customers. Give guidance in use of waste management computer system.

Enjoy working with engineers. Hardest part of job is researching complex Federal environmental regulations.
Pros
Friendly co-workers and customers. Get to help customers with waste management needs
Cons
Being audited by the New Mexico Environmental Department
I had some great team mates.
Help Desk Specialist/Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 22, 2014
The best part was meeting people. I would go into an office and as I was loading a program or scanning the desktop computer, I would look around for something personal like pictures of their family or hobby. I would then start up a conversation. It turned out that some of the users, who came across as abrupt or aloof could be friendly. I had many opportunities to use my enjoyment of public speaking and give workshops.
Pros
Very interesting work.
Cons
Very restricted work environment.
Great place to be...
Office Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CaFebruary 25, 2013
If the only thing you are concerned about is pay, this is not the place to be. But, if you want to work with some brilliant minds, care about being able to work and see your family, want room to grow and are looking for an organization that cares about the community within which it serves and priming their employees for success, then this is definitely the place for you.
Pros
on site cafe, on site medical center, summer-time farmer's markets, professional development courses
Cons
below industry pay
educational, fun, exciting place to work.
Traffic Analyst (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 16, 2013
I have had several jobs at Sandia, Security- checking all badges of incoming employees, Securing bldgs at the end of the day. Custiodial- cleaning several buildings, trash removal, floor mopping, shipping and receiving- receiving incoming shipments and arrangement them to move to respective parties, In shipping coordinating all outbound shipments. I was a classified administrative staff responsible for all material, Management was very helpful to work with. Always helped you try to improve yourself. Co-workers brought different knowledge to the table. I never had a job that I didn't like. I go in with a positive attitude.
Pros
awards for good work, pot luck lunches
Working at Sandia
STEM Teacher and Researcher (Former Employee) –  LivermoreSeptember 8, 2014
My internship at Sandia required me to do heavy computer based analysis taken from radiographic images. I mainly used the program IGOR to create my graphs, although excel and MS were used as well. My mentor was fantastic and provided me with great help whenever I had any questions about how to work the programs or the fine details of the experiment.
Pros
Great exposure to the materials science field
Cons
n/a
It has been a good and stable employer throughout the years
Distinguished Admin Support Assoc (D-ASA) (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAJanuary 10, 2014
Over the past 26 years at Sandia, I have worked in numerous departments and have worked my way up the ladder; however, I am now looking at retiring from my employer within the next five years and am looking for a new passion to take me into my retirement.

I've enjoyed my employment here overall and work with many wonderful people. The hardest thing about my job is that I feel that I have exhausted my opportunities for growth here.

I am now looking for a part-time job that I feel passionate about and will turn into my long-term employment after retiring from Sandia.
Pros
Stability, job security, good quality of life
Cons
Not many opportunities for advancement in my job category
Tough environment for a postdoc
Postdoctoral Appointee (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 12, 2013
The research itself is great and the resources for performing the work are second to none. The culture is really tough, however, and there seems to be little incentive for the PI's to treat postdocs with respect or to care about the postdocs' future employment opportunities. I imagine as a PI or manager this might be a wonderful place to work. However, as a postdoc, it is really quite bad at times.
Challenging and fun
Senior Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 15, 2015
A great environment with many learning opportunities. A great, diverse culture that embraces personal development as well personal wellness.
If you love your work, you'll love your job
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 1, 2014
SNL does some of the coolest, most exotic engineering you can think of. If you like the work you are doing, you'll love your job. Pay isn't great--1-2% raises have been typical. Management is trained to 'pass the buck' and not address personnel issues, but instead hand them on to the next unfortunate manager. It is nearly impossible for anyone to get fired, regardless of how incompetent or problematic they are. Corporate structure is very flat--there is not a lot of room for upward movement within the company. If you're a technically minded person who loves engineering, you'll do fine. If you're looking at building a career moving up in a company, SNL is not the place for you.
Pros
Everlasting employment for you
Cons
Everlasting employment for the worst imaginable co-worker, poor pay increases

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sandia National Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4