Sandia National Laboratories

Sandia National Laboratories Employer Reviews

Participated on experiment
Graduate Student Research Assistant (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMNovember 20, 2013
I spent two weeks participating on an experiment. The laboratory has many facilities and opportunities for graduate students in science to collaborate on experiments.
Hard Problems with excellent work-life balance in the desert
Graduate Student Intern (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMNovember 13, 2013
I spend half my day in the lab running experiments, and the other half developing models, analyzing data, writing papers and improving device designs.

If you can get in (3.5 GPA requirement is arbitrary and excludes a lot of smart gifted engineers) this is a great place to work. They work hard to protect Sandians, and keep interesting problems and – more... work heading their way. At the MST level and above I have not met anyone who didn't deserve to work there.

The hardest part would be the fact that the most stable jobs/resources are in the weapons area. US citizenship and a DOE clearance open most doors, and for most areas it is hard to get any work done without both.

The most enjoyable part is being able to work with subject matter experts in a wide range of fields all in one place. – less
Good job, decent benefits
Trades 1 (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 25, 2013
Pros: lots of celebrations
Cons: weak management
The work life balance is great, and that is probably the only good thing about this company. Management is poor and plays favorties, co-workers are ok, but are known to back stab. The hardest part of my job was staying awake, the most enjoyable part was clocking out!
educational, fun, exciting place to work.
Traffic Analyst (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 16, 2013
Pros: awards for good work, pot luck lunches
I have had several jobs at Sandia, Security- checking all badges of incoming employees, Securing bldgs at the end of the day. Custiodial- cleaning several buildings, trash removal, floor mopping, shipping and receiving- receiving incoming shipments and arrangement them to move to respective parties, In shipping coordinating all outbound shipments. I – more... was a classified administrative staff responsible for all material, Management was very helpful to work with. Always helped you try to improve yourself. Co-workers brought different knowledge to the table. I never had a job that I didn't like. I go in with a positive attitude. – less
Very good research environments.
Summer Intern (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 14, 2013
Very good research environments, many smart and nice people.
Sandia National Laboratories Review
Project Controls Engineer (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 14, 2013
Pros: people, culture, resources.
Cons: inability to access certain areas.
∙ A typical day at work
A typical day at work consisted of meeting with co-workers, discussing projects, financial budgets for each project, projecting out to FY18 for project budgets, scheduling for the particular project and how this could affect other projects that could potentially conflict with the schedule, etc.
∙ What you learned
I learned about – more... Lean Six Sigma (underwent Overview, and was taking courses for Green Belt), started the Project Management Professional Certification process, learned about Excel PivotTables, Excel PowerPivotTables, budget planning, budget forecasting, etc.
∙ Management
Managed 2 engineering schedules involving the Semiconductor Fabrication Plant at Sandia National Laboratories. These two particular schedules worked in conjunction with one another to create semiconductor products used for the defense of the nation's nuclear stockpile.
∙ Your co-workers
My co-workers were great, and were very helpful at each point in the management/engineering/scheduling process.
∙ The hardest part of the job
The hardest part of the job involved the direct, vis a vis communication with co-workers due mainly in part to the fact that I had not received my security clearance from the Department of Energy. This would have enabled me to approach someone immediately instead of having to wait for an email or an Instant Message to set up a meeting.
∙ The most enjoyable part of the job
The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely interacting with other employees to get the task/project/job done. – less
Excellent place to work
Member of the Technical Staff (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 3, 2013
Excellent place to work, with great benefits however very slow process for to advancement.
The best place to work
Robotic Engineer Student Intern (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMSeptember 10, 2013
Pros: great benefits and great people
My three month experience as a student intern was the best I could ever ask for. I hope that I get to work there fulltime.
Professional Enjoyable work enviornment
Technical Student Intern (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJuly 31, 2013
As a technical Intern in the computer engineering field I learn how to go about a problem and solve the problem in a professional manner. I learn all the steps necessary to deliver a solution that was reasonable and acceptable. I learned to program using Microsoft Visual Studio, Microsoft .Net, C#, and SQL database.
Productive workplace without micromanagement
Software Development Applications Engineer (Current Employee), ALbuquerque, NMJuly 9, 2013
A typical day includes writing c# and vb.NET, SQL Server, html, JavaScript and CSS code, communicating with team members and testing code. We have weekly programmers meetings, monthly team meetings and occasional department meetings.

We are encouraged to learn new technology and there are plenty of training classes to choose from.

Management is always – more... available to help or answer questions. We are never micromanaged, but they have an open door policy.

All of my coworkers are very knowledgeable and helpful in their areas. Everyone is very willing to help everyone.

The hardest part of my job is finding testers to find bugs and stress test the web apps.

The most enjoyable part of the job is doing the actual coding and have everything come together as one big application. We also have snacks at most of our meetings. – less
Tough environment for a postdoc
Postdoctoral Appointee (Current Employee), Livermore, CAMay 12, 2013
The research itself is great and the resources for performing the work are second to none. The culture is really tough, however, and there seems to be little incentive for the PI's to treat postdocs with respect or to care about the postdocs' future employment opportunities. I imagine as a PI or manager this might be a wonderful place to work. However, – more... as a postdoc, it is really quite bad at times. – less
Learned a lot as a student.
Student Contractor (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 24, 2013
I learned quite a bit as a contracted student intern. Being surrounded by knowledgeable people is a great advantage when working on difficult projects. It was also nice having access to cutting edge technology and a wealth of printed resources.
I loved this job
Clerical Student Intern (Former Employee), Carlsbad, NMApril 9, 2013
Pros: pot luck parties, snowcones and ice cream thursdays, wii tournments
I got the chance to learn so many new skills, I met many people and had the opportunity to work with a great staff. We would always make it an enjoyable place to be.
Great company...
Professional Technical Consultant (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMMarch 10, 2013
Pros: free time to work out...
Cons: short break...
Great place to get a career started with complex enterprise environment...
Great place to be...
Office Management Assistant (Current Employee), Livermore, CaFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: on site cafe, on site medical center, summer-time farmer's markets, professional development courses
Cons: below industry pay
If the only thing you are concerned about is pay, this is not the place to be. But, if you want to work with some brilliant minds, care about being able to work and see your family, want room to grow and are looking for an organization that cares about the community within which it serves and priming their employees for success, then this is definitely – more... the place for you. – less
People environment
not for what I was hired for (Former Employee), AlbuquerqueFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: clean building, some nice people
Cons: skirt chasers, sandian's treat contractors like dirt, except if you are the person being chased..then you are given "the world"
While I was there, there is a lot of "skirt chasing," even the married ones do it. Linked to the skirt chasing comes your promotions or whereever/whatever you want in the company.
Wonderful place to intern for.
Student Intern, Business Undergrad Year Round (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMJanuary 5, 2013
Sandia Labs is an incredible opportunity for any student seeking an internship position.
Excellent Opportunity for EAs and OAAs
Senior Manager Office Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMDecember 11, 2012
Loved working environment and colleagues, benefits package superb.
Interesting Place to work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 14, 2012
Sandia Labs provide a great place to work. I was able to support very interesting and technical work. I was always challenged to learn more about customers work.
Financial/Accounting/Training/Admin Assistant (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMSeptember 28, 2012
Working at SNL is a great learning experience. Got a chance to work in many areas and earn my degree.