Sandia National Laboratories

Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews

Perfect place to grow
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 23, 2015
Hardest yet most rewarding job! Challenged everyday with new projects and new ideas. SNL pushes you to your limit. You discover things in yourself you didn't know you are capable of. Overwhelming at times and empowering at other times. Must be dedicated, but will be well worth it. Perfect place to professionally grow and strengthen yourself.
Productive workplace without micromanagement
Software Development Applications Engineer (Current Employee) –  ALbuquerque, NMJuly 9, 2013
A typical day includes writing c# and vb.NET, SQL Server, html, JavaScript and CSS code, communicating with team members and testing code. We have weekly programmers meetings, monthly team meetings and occasional department meetings.

We are encouraged to learn new technology and there are plenty of training classes to choose from.

Management is always available to help or answer questions. We are never micromanaged, but they have an open door policy.

All of my coworkers are very knowledgeable and helpful in their areas. Everyone is very willing to help everyone.

The hardest part of my job is finding testers to find bugs and stress test the web apps.

The most enjoyable part of the job is doing the actual coding and have everything come together as one big application. We also have snacks at most of our meetings.
educational, fun, exciting place to work.
Traffic Analyst (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 16, 2013
I have had several jobs at Sandia, Security- checking all badges of incoming employees, Securing bldgs at the end of the day. Custiodial- cleaning several buildings, trash removal, floor mopping, shipping and receiving- receiving incoming shipments and arrangement them to move to respective parties, In shipping coordinating all outbound shipments. I was a classified administrative staff responsible for all material, Management was very helpful to work with. Always helped you try to improve yourself. Co-workers brought different knowledge to the table. I never had a job that I didn't like. I go in with a positive attitude.
Pros
awards for good work, pot luck lunches
Great Work Life Balance
Clerical Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 27, 2016
As a student intern, I appreciate being able to make my own schedule. I appreciate how supportive they are with school. I truly believe this is the ideal job for students.
Environmental and Hazardous Waste Management
Principal Technologist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 9, 2014
Lots of interaction with technical professionals. Involved with very interesting engineering projects. Friendly work environment.

Review work plans for environmental and waste management, regulatory and recycling opportunities orally and in writting. Communicate environmental requirements to customers. Give guidance in use of waste management computer system.

Enjoy working with engineers. Hardest part of job is researching complex Federal environmental regulations.
Pros
Friendly co-workers and customers. Get to help customers with waste management needs
Cons
Being audited by the New Mexico Environmental Department
Na
Software Engineer IV (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 8, 2016
SNL is a great place to work. Lots of different things to work on. The hardest part is the security levels you have to be mindful of.
Good job, decent benefits
Trades 1 (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 25, 2013
The work life balance is great, and that is probably the only good thing about this company. Management is poor and plays favorties, co-workers are ok, but are known to back stab. The hardest part of my job was staying awake, the most enjoyable part was clocking out!
Pros
lots of celebrations
Cons
weak management
Great company to work for
Purchasing Lead - Principal Buyer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 25, 2015
Sandia is a great company to work for, with a fantastic work life balance, and meaningful work in support of the security of our nation.
Good company, have been there for a while
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New MexicoAugust 5, 2015
The company is solid, if you are a scientist or engineer its even better! The areas for research and development are revered, and a good place for advancement if you fall in these areas.
Pros
Science is promoted
Cons
administrative staff is not treated very well by scientists and researchers
A good place to work
Material Handler - Driver (Former Employee) –  Livermore Ca.September 9, 2014
•a typical day at work, very busy place with packages coming in all day.
•what you learned, how to process and deliver packages to various destinations.
•management, cared about there employees, and worked with us sometimes.
•your co-workers, were very pleasant and helpful.
•the hardest part of the job, was trying to keep packages from getting wet in the rain when I was delivering them.
•the most enjoyable part of the job, was working in Livermore California as a truck driver delivery person, and relocating offices to another building.
Good Place to work
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 7, 2015
It's a good place to work.

I was able to collaborate with scientists from a large range of disciplines, and solve problems from many different angles.

A downside is that postdocs aren't always valued high enough. Some people view them as a means to an end, and don't care about their careers enough.
Pros
Interesting work, flexible schedule
Cons
Bureaucracy, the city of Albuquerque
Very relavant and people dynamic atmosphere, allows for the mission to get done.
Health Physics (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 22, 2015
Security at the national labs was about giving and allowing access to environments. We were the gate keepers and ensured that vaults and secure areas remained so. It involved our communications system that would dispatch to location that were compromised and we would resolve and restore conditions to normal and submit our reports before the end of the day.
Pros
We allowed the safety and movement of items of high importance
Cons
Tweleve hour days could be long.
People environment
not for what I was hired for (Former Employee) –  AlbuquerqueFebruary 20, 2013
While I was there, there is a lot of "skirt chasing," even the married ones do it. Linked to the skirt chasing comes your promotions or whereever/whatever you want in the company.
Pros
clean building, some nice people
Cons
skirt chasers, sandian's treat contractors like dirt, except if you are the person being chased..then you are given "the world"
Love it!
Technical Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 18, 2015
Sandia is a great place to work! I love the work life balance at the facility. There is always so much going on, so if you are interested in science, there is a place for you.
Professional environment, high expectations
Business Development Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 21, 2015
Great place to work! I don't have any complaints, just not the type of work that I want to be doing based on my background, skills, and education.
Sandia National Labs is an incredible place to work
R&D Computer Science Principle Level Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 14, 2015
Working at Sandia National Labs is exciting and cutting edge. I have thoroughly enjoyed the projects I have been involved in. The culture is also outstanding.
Strong Engineering Laboratory
Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Livermore CaliforniaSeptember 21, 2015
Sandia National Laboratories is a the forefront of engineering and cutting edge technologies. Working at Sandia will allow exposure to projects that are specialized and technologies that are exciting and intriguing.
Management Reviews Result in Poor Morale
auditor, analyst, scientist, regulatory compliance (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 24, 2015
In the last five years a Lockheed-Martin five star ranking system penalizes someone in a group for underachievement even if they've met their goals. This may change with new president in 2016
Tough environment for a postdoc
Postdoctoral Appointee (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 12, 2013
The research itself is great and the resources for performing the work are second to none. The culture is really tough, however, and there seems to be little incentive for the PI's to treat postdocs with respect or to care about the postdocs' future employment opportunities. I imagine as a PI or manager this might be a wonderful place to work. However, as a postdoc, it is really quite bad at times.
I had some great team mates.
Help Desk Specialist/Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 22, 2014
The best part was meeting people. I would go into an office and as I was loading a program or scanning the desktop computer, I would look around for something personal like pictures of their family or hobby. I would then start up a conversation. It turned out that some of the users, who came across as abrupt or aloof could be friendly. I had many opportunities to use my enjoyment of public speaking and give workshops.
Pros
Very interesting work.
Cons
Very restricted work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sandia National Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4