Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews

Relaxed but productive environment
Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 5, 2014
Highly enjoyed interning there. Met with some of the top scientists in the country and experts in the field.
Great work culture
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 21, 2014
Most places at the labs are fantastic. The flexibility to move between careers and disciplines is unique. Management in my experience has been fantastic in facilitating employee growth.
Pros
good work/life balance, interesting work
Cons
rapid advancement is almost impossible
It has been a good and stable employer throughout the years
Distinguished Admin Support Assoc (D-ASA) (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAJanuary 10, 2014
Over the past 26 years at Sandia, I have worked in numerous departments and have worked my way up the ladder; however, I am now looking at retiring from my employer within the next five years and am looking for a new passion to take me into my retirement.

I've enjoyed my employment here overall and work with many wonderful people. The hardest thing about my job is that I feel that I have exhausted my opportunities for growth here.

I am now looking for a part-time job that I feel passionate about and will turn into my long-term employment after retiring from Sandia.
Pros
stability, job security, good quality of life
Cons
not many opportunities for advancement in my job category
Excellent company to work for
Graduate Year Round Student Internship (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 1, 2014
Sandia is an amazing place to work. The company cares about it's employees and the work/life balance is incomparable.
Pros
9/80 schedule, co-workers, gym on site, fitness classes, cafeteria
Cons
compensation
not a great palsce to work
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 21, 2013
management is horrible great hours, ok benefits co workers talk about everyone and everything.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
great part time job.
Intern- Summer Employment Program (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 6, 2013
• Achieved intern position in Lab program awarded to top 10 performers in school. Results: Participated with Nuclear Weapons Engineers group on nuclear weapon design, development, and integration;
Participated on experiment
Graduate Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 20, 2013
I spent two weeks participating on an experiment. The laboratory has many facilities and opportunities for graduate students in science to collaborate on experiments.
Hard Problems with excellent work-life balance in the desert
Graduate Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 13, 2013
I spend half my day in the lab running experiments, and the other half developing models, analyzing data, writing papers and improving device designs.

If you can get in (3.5 GPA requirement is arbitrary and excludes a lot of smart gifted engineers) this is a great place to work. They work hard to protect Sandians, and keep interesting problems and work heading their way. At the MST level and above I have not met anyone who didn't deserve to work there.

The hardest part would be the fact that the most stable jobs/resources are in the weapons area. US citizenship and a DOE clearance open most doors, and for most areas it is hard to get any work done without both.

The most enjoyable part is being able to work with subject matter experts in a wide range of fields all in one place.
Good job, decent benefits
Trades 1 (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 25, 2013
The work life balance is great, and that is probably the only good thing about this company. Management is poor and plays favorties, co-workers are ok, but are known to back stab. The hardest part of my job was staying awake, the most enjoyable part was clocking out!
Pros
lots of celebrations
Cons
weak management
educational, fun, exciting place to work.
Traffic Analyst (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 16, 2013
I have had several jobs at Sandia, Security- checking all badges of incoming employees, Securing bldgs at the end of the day. Custiodial- cleaning several buildings, trash removal, floor mopping, shipping and receiving- receiving incoming shipments and arrangement them to move to respective parties, In shipping coordinating all outbound shipments. I was a classified administrative staff responsible for all material, Management was very helpful to work with. Always helped you try to improve yourself. Co-workers brought different knowledge to the table. I never had a job that I didn't like. I go in with a positive attitude.
Pros
awards for good work, pot luck lunches
Very good research environments.
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 14, 2013
Very good research environments, many smart and nice people.
Sandia National Laboratories Review
Project Controls Engineer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 14, 2013
∙ A typical day at work
A typical day at work consisted of meeting with co-workers, discussing projects, financial budgets for each project, projecting out to FY18 for project budgets, scheduling for the particular project and how this could affect other projects that could potentially conflict with the schedule, etc.
∙ What you learned
I learned about Lean Six Sigma (underwent Overview, and was taking courses for Green Belt), started the Project Management Professional Certification process, learned about Excel PivotTables, Excel PowerPivotTables, budget planning, budget forecasting, etc.
∙ Management
Managed 2 engineering schedules involving the Semiconductor Fabrication Plant at Sandia National Laboratories. These two particular schedules worked in conjunction with one another to create semiconductor products used for the defense of the nation's nuclear stockpile.
∙ Your co-workers
My co-workers were great, and were very helpful at each point in the management/engineering/scheduling process.
∙ The hardest part of the job
The hardest part of the job involved the direct, vis a vis communication with co-workers due mainly in part to the fact that I had not received my security clearance from the Department of Energy. This would have enabled me to approach someone immediately instead of having to wait for an email or an Instant Message to set up a meeting.
∙ The most enjoyable part of the job
The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely interacting with other employees to get the task/project/job done.
Pros
people, culture, resources.
Cons
inability to access certain areas.
Excellent place to work
Member of the Technical Staff (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 3, 2013
Excellent place to work, with great benefits however very slow process for to advancement.
The best place to work
Robotic Engineer Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 10, 2013
My three month experience as a student intern was the best I could ever ask for. I hope that I get to work there fulltime.
Pros
great benefits and great people
Professional Enjoyable work enviornment
Technical Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 31, 2013
As a technical Intern in the computer engineering field I learn how to go about a problem and solve the problem in a professional manner. I learn all the steps necessary to deliver a solution that was reasonable and acceptable. I learned to program using Microsoft Visual Studio, Microsoft .Net, C#, and SQL database.
Productive workplace without micromanagement
Software Development Applications Engineer (Current Employee) –  ALbuquerque, NMJuly 9, 2013
A typical day includes writing c# and vb.NET, SQL Server, html, JavaScript and CSS code, communicating with team members and testing code. We have weekly programmers meetings, monthly team meetings and occasional department meetings.

We are encouraged to learn new technology and there are plenty of training classes to choose from.

Management is always available to help or answer questions. We are never micromanaged, but they have an open door policy.

All of my coworkers are very knowledgeable and helpful in their areas. Everyone is very willing to help everyone.

The hardest part of my job is finding testers to find bugs and stress test the web apps.

The most enjoyable part of the job is doing the actual coding and have everything come together as one big application. We also have snacks at most of our meetings.
Tough environment for a postdoc
Postdoctoral Appointee (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 12, 2013
The research itself is great and the resources for performing the work are second to none. The culture is really tough, however, and there seems to be little incentive for the PI's to treat postdocs with respect or to care about the postdocs' future employment opportunities. I imagine as a PI or manager this might be a wonderful place to work. However, as a postdoc, it is really quite bad at times.
Learned a lot as a student.
Student Contractor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 24, 2013
I learned quite a bit as a contracted student intern. Being surrounded by knowledgeable people is a great advantage when working on difficult projects. It was also nice having access to cutting edge technology and a wealth of printed resources.
I loved this job
Clerical Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMApril 9, 2013
I got the chance to learn so many new skills, I met many people and had the opportunity to work with a great staff. We would always make it an enjoyable place to be.
Pros
pot luck parties, snowcones and ice cream thursdays, wii tournments
Great company...
Professional Technical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 10, 2013
Great place to get a career started with complex enterprise environment...
Pros
free time to work out...
Cons
short break...

4.4