Sandy Spring Bank Employee Reviews

not a big company
Full time summer floater teller (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 21, 2016
The company is very small. They push sales and hassle you to open accounts. There ant a lot of customers that come all the time so branch manager will have you standing outside hassling innocent people walking the side walks to open accounts.
Good company to work with the early closing hours, however very low pay and company does not provide ability for the employees to grew and improve
Assistant Branch Manager & Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 17, 2015
A regular working day starts with the morning meeting with the setting goals for every one at the office, mostly sales goals, or service improvement goals.
I personally had no trouble of working and meeting my goals.
Pros
short working day, medical insurance provided
Cons
almost free labor
A very bad working environment
Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Maryland, MDOctober 6, 2015
A very disorganized bank. Management is so bad. Instead of letting you know what you have done wrong, they talk behind you and when they see you, they look at you and make you feel worthless. They don't even know what the are doing. Especially in their back offices
Good management lets you know what needs to be corrected but they are always talking about people behind their back. The team lead is talking about the supervisor, and the supervisor's boss. The worst place to work. If you need to schedule a PTO, it has to be 30days in advance?? Really?
Pros
Cons
Bad management
Wonderful Company
Opening Teller (Current Employee) –  Layhill, MDDecember 14, 2015
Great work atmosphere. Wonderful people and sense of community. Very accommodating work schedule in terms of vacations and emergencies.
Pros
Immense work schedule flexibility
Cons
On the lower end of the pay grade spectrum
Decent work enviroment
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Olney, MDOctober 25, 2015
small office but you get a chance to get to know everyone you work with. My supervisor was nice and made sure that he made the atmosphere was a fun place to work. Everyone is willing to assist you if you have a question.
Good to work for
Teller (Former Employee) –  Mount Airy, MDNovember 19, 2015
Sandy spring is a very small bank. If you like a more community approach then sandy spring is where it is at. Everyone their is so nice and they work with your schedule great.
Pros
Smaller work area
Cons
no breaks
Enjoyable and worthwhile place to work
Organizational Profitability Manager (Former Employee) –  Olney, MDMay 21, 2015
I learned a great deal about banking from my co-workers at Sandy Spring Bank. The upper management is excellent, and interacts well with employees. The hardest part of the job was the ebb and flow of the workload - incredibly busy at the beginning of the month, and not so busy other times. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with co-workers.
Pros
An hour lunch break, traditional work hours - 8 to 5, very intelligent people to learn from, lived very close to work, they were very involved in the communities
Cons
The dress code was changed recently to Business dress, I worked in the basement with no windows
Managment problems
Teller (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, MDFebruary 4, 2015
Good overall company, day to day work is what you would expect from a teller. However specific to my location there was very high turnover rate.Tellers at the time started with 5 and be the end of a year only 1 of the original 5 was left. Branch manager also changed. Personal banker had changed and teller supervisor was on the way out the door as well.
Diverse, stable, & moral company
Systems Administrator and Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 15, 2013
A typical day at work involved assisting both internal and external clients and supporting the Treasury Services Support team. While here I honed my Excel, Access, and Word skills. My direct manager was always supportive and created two positions to allow me to advance. I was always the "go-to" guy to answer questions about all the systems and products associated with the department. The hardest part of the job was keeping myself interested in the day-to-day operations, as I prefer to be constantly active and my position didn't provide a challenge. The most enjoyable part of my time at Sandy Spring Bank was all the different people I worked with on various inter-departmental projects.
Small company with limited growth
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Sandy Spring, MDJanuary 3, 2013
Hours were decent, I learned that a small company is like a family and communicates well. Management was easily accessible and open to change. Hardest part of my job was being in a branch with older clients and no new business. I enjoyed working with the company and being able to get answers quickly.
Pros
small company made it easier to get things done.
Cons
little growth potential
Very stressful work environment with rude managment
Teller (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJune 4, 2014
Process transactions such as deposits and withdraws for clients, as well as other transactions. Learned to balance my cash drawer, a coin counting machine, and a money dispencer. Management was often rude and only critisized work performance, but coworkers were nice to work with.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
short breaks, management
A fair and productive workplace, very close to my home.
Organizational Profitability Manager (Former Employee) –  Olney, MDFebruary 4, 2014
On a typical day, I worked on Excel spreadsheets, among other things, and interacted with my immediate co-workers as well as people in other departments.
I learned a lot about planning and budgeting in a bank setting. My co-workers were very positive and helpful.
Look good on paper but turnover high because they don't stand up to their own values.
Teller/Senior Teller (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, MDMay 24, 2013
Sandy Spring Bank wants them to be your life. When they change something wether it fits into your life or not you are expected to chnage. They do not stand behind their employees and one of their values is to always do the right thing but they don't.
Assistant Commercial Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDOctober 8, 2014
A typical day at work was systematic and it wasn't difficult to complete day-to-day tasks. I learned how to run a branch and build up a team. The branch had a good balance between the clients and employees; everyone got along.
Horrible place to work
Former employee (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 4, 2013
This company is false gold. It looks good on the outside, but the management is upside down. They do offer good benefits, but that comes with a cost of micro management and false company guidelines.
benefits
Cons
management, culture, false gold affect
This is an great place to work.
Teller 1 (Former Employee) –  Sliver Spring, MDFebruary 11, 2015
I got really great branch manager. She is caring and listening to her employees. If you work hard and do great work, she will support and promote you.
Good balance but no pay
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edgewater, MDJanuary 20, 2015
This employer values its people verbally but does not compensate its employees monetarily. Their president is down to earth but kinda preachy.
Fun place to work and also opportunites to make extra money
Teller (Former Employee) –  Sandy Spring, MDMay 10, 2014
My typical day at work included opening up the branch by 8:30 am. I would then get prepared for the day by checking to make sure there was no one there and taking out my cash drawer. I would also stock the supplies. I opened up the doors to the public by 9:00am. I loved working their because I got to meet so many different types of people. I would make conversation with them and also process their transactions. Some time the conversations would lead to referrals that made extra money for me. I also was responsible for counting currency and verifying the negotiables which are various form of money inclusing travelers cheques, cashiers checks and money orders. At 3:00 two of us would blance the vault verifying all the money was there. At the end of the day we would lock the door at 3:30pm and start counting down and balancing our drawers. The best thing about working there was my team. We got along well and when I left they threw a party for me! It was a nice family atmosphere.
Pros
family friendly atmosphere
Cons
compensation
Great place
Lead Executive Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Montgomery CountySeptember 24, 2014
Fun place to work very professional. Plenty of opportunities to advanced within the company.
Pros
opportunities
Cons
communication
Sr Personal Banker/BDO
Sr. Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Arlington VAJanuary 23, 2015
Help me branch goals. Community bank that specilizes in commercial lending.